The Express Bus: A Vital Service or an Unnecessary Luxury?

Forest Glen

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Replies in bold

you said nothing about unionport rd in your prior post....

that's why, to me, this:

I think that it could be rerouted down White Plains Road to the current BxM6 stops.

...was misleading.

the way it was construed (to me), it seemed as if you would have buses (bxm10's) turn off morris park, down white plains road, down to the cross bx. service road, where it would then pick up the bxm6 route, en-route to manhattan... which would have made no sense at all, if the purpose were to combine the two routes (bxm6 & bxm10), since that would have totally avoided the apt. complexes in parkchester..... that's what I was getting at...

but since (^^ that) wasn't what you were conveying...

now that that confusion is cleared up...

Yeah. Sorry about that. So with the confusion cleared up, does it seem like a good idea?

- outside of the x1 & x10, (still) too much sunday service in your list, I'm sorry...

Honestly, I think the X17 should get at least limited Sunday service. There is nothing from the far South Shore to Manhattan on Sundays except the local buses or SIR to the ferry (which require a long walk and run rather infrequently). Then again, most people on that side of the Staten Island have cars, so they could drive to the X1. I still think it warrants consideration, though.

B35 i disagree with ending all sunday express bus particuarly in Bronx. Often when in Manhattan i see more riders using the BXm7 on sundays then the X10.

Plus Sedwick Ave is a long way to nearest subway on Jerome Ave. Not to mention B35 you admit Throgs Neck is a long way to the (6)subway line.

I only agree on second thought that Riverdale Ave riders can use the BX7 and transfer at 168th to the M2, M3, M4 and M101 to get to Midtown.

Or BXM1 riders can even use the Metro North Hudson Line at 3 nearby stations.

So in sense i agree on a revision and canning Sunday BXM1 service.

Bronx Sunday service with 90 minute headways.

BXM3

BXM7a/BXM7b merged(every hour)

BXM9

BXM10

I never said all sunday express service...

as far as seeing more riders on bxm7's than x10, it depends where you're seeing x10's at, obviously.... of course you're gonna see less ppl. on x10's in midtown, than you would by time it reaches the south ferry area... I mean, that's just common sense....

and three, I find it amazing that you only think one queens route is worthy of sunday express service... but you think up to FOUR bronx routes should have sunday service... go figure....

the bronx can definitely do without the bxm10, can also do w/o the bxm9 as well, on a sunday... the bxm3 I don't know about its sunday ridership levels, so I can't say....

as it stands IMO, the only bronx route that should have sunday service on it, is the bxm7....

If a route has a headway higher than once every 60 minutes then it shouldn't run at all for that particular day. I personally feel that the X17 deserves Sunday service more than the X10.

Really? Just outright cut it for the day than to have 1.5-2 hr headways? I would think even you would rather have some service than none. Plus if people are regulars to the specific lines they'll likely know what time to expect the bus anyway.

-

On a related note, yesterday I saw a basically empty Bm3 bus running on the Prospect Pkwy. Not sure if it was in service or heading to Manhattan for the PM run. But if so, they really need to build a lot in Manhattan for express buses to layup at. It makes no sense to run an empty bus especially deadheads.

Yeah. Sorry about that.

So with the confusion cleared up, does it seem like a good idea?

No need for apologies.

and yep combining the bxm6 w/ the bxm10 is a good idea... especially if the goal is to aid in cutting down on waste(ful service)....

Honestly, I think the X17 should get at least limited Sunday service. There is nothing from the far South Shore to Manhattan on Sundays except the local buses or SIR to the ferry (which require a long walk and run rather infrequently). Then again, most people on that side of the Staten Island have cars, so they could drive to the X1. I still think it warrants consideration, though.

....and that is exactly what passengers coming from the south shore do (even on saturdays) - they drive to ETC (eltingville transit center) & take the x1, inbound...

SI's got it right in that regard... especially on a sunday, you have ppl. crammed onto one line/route, than to run 2 or 3 lines at 50% (or worse) capacity... this way, the x1 handles all the (possible) south shore riders, and the x10 got w/e north shore riders....

Yesterday, the X17 I rode coming from the city was full.

I believe that...

I'm glad I'm not messing with this broad anymore.. well, that's not important..

point is, I don't have to take the 17 out to arden heights every other saturday anymore... that late night 17 I took, seemed like I would always catch this one group of loud drunks (consisting of men & women)...

....they really need to build a lot in Manhattan for express buses to layup at. It makes no sense to run an empty bus especially deadheads.

this is where the problem lies, the lack of a storage area for inbound express buses (you even see NJT buses parked all around the areas adjacent to/around the lincoln tunnel entrance)... anyway, it's a ridiculous waste of resources when you got buses:

- dropping off passengers in the am

- deadheading back to its respective depot/borough of operation

- deadheading back to manhattan...

- to then drop off passengers in w/e outerborough during the PM hrs....

^^ this is for rush. hour only routes, or routes that have not so many total runs during the day....

...and worse, you got some (well, quite a few) express routes that run during the off peak hrs, w/ less than five people on it... sometimes, even none....

This isn't directed at anyone, but I still want to make this point...

Rather than cut entire routes, cutting runs should first be considered (especially for routes that normally have decent/formidable ridership during the rush).... this goes for weekday, as well as weekend service.... then we can talk about what headways are sufficient for what route & what not....

Replies in bold

Really? Just outright cut it for the day than to have 1.5-2 hr headways? I would think even you would rather have some service than none. Plus if people are regulars to the specific lines they'll likely know what time to expect the bus anyway.

I'm not really too sure about this. With the increased headway comes a corresponding drop in ridership. If I came to a bus stop 45 minutes after the last express bus had left, I would probably just wait 15 more minutes if my intention was to take that line. If the bus ran every 2 hours, I can't really see too many people timing that bus, so that same person wouldn't wait 1 hour, 15 minutes for the bus. It would probably be more cost effective, but not much. If somebody needs a 9AM bus to get to a place on time, but the only buses run at 8AM and 10PM, that person isn't going to wait for that 10AM bus or wake up earlier for the 8AM bus-they will just use another local bus/subway option. Even if they arrive at 8AM, and aren't sure if they have missed the bus, they might still take another route, knowing that they risk a 2hour wait if they really did miss the bus.

In short, either run it at a reasonable headway or don't run it at all because people need to go where they need to go, and if one option doesn't get them there, most will opt for another.-

On a related note, yesterday I saw a basically empty Bm3 bus running on the Prospect Pkwy. Not sure if it was in service or heading to Manhattan for the PM run. But if so, they really need to build a lot in Manhattan for express buses to layup at. It makes no sense to run an empty bus especially deadheads.

That is why many routes with high ridership still have fairly high costs per person. If the bus runs 10 buses per hour (we'll call it BPH) during rush hour but 2 BPH during midday, that means that 80% of the buses along that route are running back totally empty during the late AM rush and to Manhattan totally empty in the PM rush. All this with the expense of added maintanance, added wages, and added fuel costs. Multiply this by all the express buses in the city and that is a lot of money wasted every day.

I forget what the responses were but I said in an earlier post that some routes could do a bus run in the late AM rush as an intraborough express route (like the current X90), if they are going back out to the outer boroughs anyway. Either that, or some of the buses could layup in a Manhattan depot with space, since many of the Manhattan buses run at similar frequencies throughout the day (for example 5 minutes during rush hours, but 8 minutes during midday), and many buses would be out on the road, leaving space for the express buses.

this is where the problem lies, the lack of a storage area for inbound express buses (you even see NJT buses parked all around the areas adjacent to/around the lincoln tunnel entrance)... anyway, it's a ridiculous waste of resources when you got buses:

- dropping off passengers in the am

- deadheading back to its respective depot/borough of operation

- deadheading back to manhattan...

- to then drop off passengers in w/e outerborough during the PM hrs....

^^ this is for rush. hour only routes, or routes that have not so many total runs during the day....

...and worse, you got some (well, quite a few) express routes that run during the off peak hrs, w/ less than five people on it... sometimes, even none....

This isn't directed at anyone, but I still want to make this point...

Rather than cut entire routes, cutting runs should first be considered (especially for routes that normally have decent/formidable ridership during the rush).... this goes for weekday, as well as weekend service.... then we can talk about what headways are sufficient for what route & what not....

I think that part of the reason that they bother running all of those routes during middays when the bulk of the ridership is during rush hour is because the buses are coming back anyway and that 5 people on it is better than no people on it.

I agree with you about cutting runs. If a route could do alright with 45 or 60 minute headways during off-hours, I say cut it, especially if it is an extremely expensive route to run (with a long non-stop segment and a long distance from Manhattan to its first stop in the outer boroughs).

• 3 weeks later...
Again here my takes on reasonable cuts and adjustments.

Citywide

1. Ulmer Park, Spring Creek and College Point should get rid most of the MCI Cross Country Buses.

Reassign them to the Yukon and Castelton depots only. While the rest should be Sold them to (NJT) (Coach USA, Shortline) and other regional bus agencies.

That alone saves the (MTA) Tens of Millions.

Buy newer buses and add soft cushion seats to the back. Can even be used on local buses as well such as subway shuttle/go service when needed.

Routing changes ( i dont Queens that well so i wont comment much on that service)

Brooklyn

X27/28 End Sunday service. In addition run 27/28 Saturday service hourly between appx. 7am-11pm with last bus leaving Brooklyn around 6pm and last bus leaving Midtown at around 11pm. What not fair is that the X17c which has much more ridership on Saturdays combined than the X27/28 does not run on Sundays.

X37/38 maintain this 'super express' aka FDR Drive service but reduce the hours opearting between 6am-730 am weekday mornings to Midtown and 4pm-630pm leaving Midtown.

X29 shortened route to run between Surf Ave/West 5th(old B68 southern terminal)and 57th Street. In addition reduce hours of this service to run weekdays 6am-8am to Midtown and from 4pm-6pm with 30 minute headways. Terminating at Stillwell is redudant with the subways and the X28/38 imo. Also the Re routing of the BM1 and BM4 along a part of CI avenue should help.

BM4 should be a rush hour only route imo to Manhattan AM and to Gerristean PM peak hours.

BM5 Weekend service should be canned imo. Starret City residents can use the BM2 which would be extended weekends only.

Spring Creek Service/Routing Change

Run both the BM1 and BM4 along Coney Island Avenue between Beverly Rd/Church Ave and Avenue K. CI Ave riders for first time gets full time express bus service Monday-Saturday. The BM3 would be the only Manhattan 'express' route along almost the entire length of Ocean Ave and thus increasing ridership.

Bronx

BM2-This is another waste of a route on weekends imo. Most of the ridership here is seniors and they have an alternative 1-fare bus, 2-bus ride compared to the X27/28 from SW Brooklyn and the other Bronx express routes. Besides the (1) subway with transfer from the Bx 7 and BX10 at the 231/Broadway stop that now ADA accesible, those BXm2 riders can also use the BX7 on weekends and transfer to the M2, M4, and M5 to get to Midtown and the west side.

Weekend BM2 should be canned and if Riverdale Ave and Henry Hudson Pwy/SPUYTEN DUYVIL riders still want want express service to Midtown they can use either the BM1 and transfer to a crosstown route or use the MNRR train at either the SPUYTEN DUYVIL or Riverdale stations as well.

BXM4b-Should be a rush hour only. Replace it with expanded BXM4 to/from Kanotnah Ave hourly service at all times off peak (weekday midday and evening periods and all times weekends) Also Reroute the nearby BXm3 to serve portions of BXM4b riders who would lose service.

BXM6-Should be a rush hour only peak direction route. All Other times the BXM11 stops at Unionport/Metro Oval area via East Tremont as replacement for Coop City residents.

Bxm7/7a Merges on weekends making stops along the Bruckner Blvd service route between Coop City and White Plains/Bruckner.

Manhattan

X25-Should be canned years ago. Instead have the BXm18 or even the X90 stop near Grand Central as replacement.

My takes guys as i ridden or busfanned all of the mentioned lines for years alot until i left the city 3 years ago. Reactions?

Thank God you are not in charge. My Brooklyn $5.50 is just as good as someone from Staten island, and the MTA gets more bang for the buck because my ride costs them less. Screw Yukon. Look, MTA Bus and Mayor Blooming Idiot insisted on taking over private bus lines, saying it would improve service. Now a few years later, we finally get decent buses and all you want is to replace them with local stop buses (which, BTW, may actually cost more $ than MCI's). MTA made it's commitment, now it must live up to it. Otherwise, reform private companies, let them do express service and to hell with all the express bus haters. They are not the ones that have no subways within 5 miles of their neighborhoods. Everybody wants to piss on someone else's parade. Stay out of mine.

For your information 'buddy' i rode the X27/28 reguarly when i lived in Sea Gate 10 years ago. And i worked for a year for the old Command Bus Company in the telephone office so i am not a kid that is clueless to the (MTA). So be careful what you say.

Thank God you are not in charge. My Brooklyn $5.50 is just as good as someone from Staten island, and the MTA gets more bang for the buck because my ride costs them less. Screw Yukon. Look, MTA Bus and Mayor Blooming Idiot insisted on taking over private bus lines, saying it would improve service. Now a few years later, we finally get decent buses and all you want is to replace them with local stop buses (which, BTW, may actually cost more $ than MCI's). MTA made it's commitment, now it must live up to it. Otherwise, reform private companies, let them do express service and to hell with all the express bus haters. They are not the ones that have no subways within 5 miles of their neighborhoods. Everybody wants to piss on someone else's parade. Stay out of mine.

I agree on your take on the BM4 and BM5. BM2 on weekends isn't needed especially since there's the B103 that can take people to the 2 train at Flatbush-Nostrand.

Forget about that, none of the BM routes are needed period, regardless of the time of day! They shouldn't run at all! B)

Forget about that, none of the BM routes are needed period, regardless of the time of day! They shouldn't run at all! :P

That where i disagree IRG. Have you been on the BM buses at all? As someone that tries to play it 'straight' i get knocked by BM1rider who comments on this board every 5 years lol and also by you on this.

Yes routes like the BM4 should be a rush hour route. However routes like the BM1 and BM2 serve areas of Brooklyn ie Mill Basin and Canarise far away from the subway and should run at least 6 days a week.

What true is that there too much Saturday service on the BM1 BM2 and BM3. Why does Midtown bound BM buses run until 9-10pm on Saturdays? That where the (MTA) should have cut service 1st instead of canning entire lines.

So Concourse and IRG i agree that there is too much BM service, at least the BM1 BM2 and BM3 should run 6 days a week with the MCI's should be sold off.

That where i disagree IRG. Have you been on the BM buses at all? As someone that tries to play it 'straight' i get knocked by BM1rider who comments on this board every 5 years lol and also by you on this.

Yes routes like the BM4 should be a rush hour route. However routes like the BM1 and BM2 serve areas of Brooklyn ie Mill Basin and Canarise far away from the subway and should run at least 6 days a week.

What true is that there too much Saturday service on the BM1 BM2 and BM3. Why does Midtown bound BM buses run until 9-10pm on Saturdays? That where the (MTA) should have cut service 1st instead of canning entire lines.

So Concourse and IRG i agree that there is too much BM service, at least the BM1 BM2 and BM3 should run 6 days a week with the MCI's should be sold off.

It was an insider joke between Grand Concourse and I. As NX said, I was being sarcastic.

However, on a serious note, I don't think the BM4 is needed on weekends; it runs basically empty and is a waste of resources. I don't know the status of the others but I'll have to say that the BM4 should be reduced to a weekday-only route.

It was an insider joke between Grand Concourse and I. As NX said, I was being sarcastic.

However, on a serious note, I don't think the BM4 is needed on weekends; it runs basically empty and is a waste of resources. I don't know the status of the others but I'll have to say that the BM4 should be reduced to a weekday-only route.

The BM3,4,and 5 are not really needed on weekends. I may be wrong on the BM3, although IMO the (Q) is nearby for riders to use.

BM 2 service late nights should be cut on the weekends IMO....BM 5 should be a rush hour line on weekdays(peak direction).I don't want the BM 2 extended past SC towers just to cover the old BM 5,because at the end the day they going to put more buses on the BM 2 and I don't think the MTA will have the money for that.

The BM3,4,and 5 are not really needed on weekends. I may be wrong on the BM3, although IMO the (Q) is nearby for riders to use.

If they were to cut the BM3 [weekends], they would need a local alternative to serve that area and would act as a subway feeder line like the B31. The line should go to the Kings hgwy stop so people can take the Q to go to Midtown and then they don't need to run the Bm3.

• 2 weeks later...
Is it true the BM5 is going to make local stops in Queens?

It's only going to make 3 extra stops. This is to be effective Monday April 19th.

See this website for more information: http://mta.info/busco/advisories.htm

There is also a thread about the new MTA bus service changes. That is where I got the link.

BM 2 service late nights should be cut on the weekends IMO....BM 5 should be a rush hour line on weekdays(peak direction).I don't want the BM 2 extended past SC towers just to cover the old BM 5,because at the end the day they going to put more buses on the BM 2 and I don't think the MTA will have the money for that.

Neither do I...

....and that's just it... they wouldn't put more buses on the BM2 if it were to get extended to SC towers... Every BM2 would simply get sent there, instead of the current setup (where most runs end @ Williams, and a select few going to the towers).... IMO, No way does Starrett deserve all that express service (if they were to send all the runs there)... Current BM5 ridership is evidence enough of this....

Still agree with your points, though.

If they were to cut the BM3 [weekends], they would need a local alternative to serve that area and would act as a subway feeder line like the B31. The line should go to the Kings hgwy stop so people can take the Q to go to Midtown and then they don't need to run the Bm3.

My question to you is....

Do you think the BM3 should be entirely cut on saturdays?

....Because I have to tell you, reading this post of yours, it still sounds like you're on that anti-express bus kick again (even though you said that wasn't your entire stance on express buses)...

it's like you continue to think of any little way to eliminate them.... pondering this, and your prior posts on x-buses, your M.O. seems to be that of...

local bus-to-subway > express bus.

Sometimes, that's not always the case, bro.....

Neither do I...

....and that's just it... they wouldn't put more buses on the BM2 if it were to get extended to SC towers... Every BM2 would simply get sent there, instead of the current setup (where most runs end @ Williams, and a select few going to the towers).... IMO, No way does Starrett deserve all that express service (if they were to send all the runs there)... Current BM5 ridership is evidence enough of this....

Still agree with your points, though.

But the frequency of the service to midtown isn't that much more frequent than the current BM5 service. It is 15 minutes as opposed to 20 minutes.

The only thing that they would have to change would be that on Saturdays, the final trips on the BM2 would end at Canarsie.

Archived