What You Prefer On The F/V Lines? NTT,R46s or R32s

Daniel The Cool

Not to get O/T, but the AC is on in the middle of winter.

I think the cars are trying to keep around a comfortable temperature. I find it better than blazing heat because we already have thick coats on. Also, in the summertime it just needs to be cool, not freezing.

I'd say R160, R46 and R32. Though the R32 are a distant 3rd since half the time I was on them they broke down or the heat was on way too much or some other malfunction which made the ride seem a bit tedious. The R46 is the classic (F) train and when I get on it now I feel cozy but the R160 has the feel that it's there to get the job done and it does.

I have to say R160, because they are easy espicially for tourists to make sure they are on a train that will take them where they need to go. Also about the smoothness I think that they both provide every smooth rides, If one or the other R46 or R160 pulled in I'd be fine with either.

Although if the R32 came in I would be very happy.

Dude I have been Taking the (F) train my whole Life(19 Years), The (F) was primalry R46 for over 30 years, Don't get me wrong but (F) rider don't really care but very few do care, the R46's give you a nice smooth ride with bucket seating, Who Wants to sit in some French made seats from CI to 179, Those seats do hurt people Back's.

I've been taking the (F) line my whole life too. (F) riders to an extent dont care, but when the R42s hit that line, $h!t hit the fan, even though those cars had really good A/Cs, ran fast, had more comfortable seats & held more passengers, the condition of those cars disgusted a lot of those riders and it was a slap in the face for both (F) & (E) train riders. But when the R160s came in, it was much more of a reprieve to the riders who disliked those R42s.

The R32s were looking great on the inside & outside, only problems were the failing A/Cs & the messed up brakes. I wish that Jamaica had some better maintenance back in the day so we'd be seeing these up along the line again

Though yeah, most passengers dont care about what they ride on as long as they get them from Point A to Point B in good time. Some prefer the R160s for their convenience while others prefer the R46 for comfort or whatever. But a survey said how 70% of (F) riders would like an upgrade from the R42s and R32s. I'm not speaking from a railfan basis, just speaking from a statistic. On a railfan basis, I would LOVE to see the Phase II R32s back in action again!

I've been taking the (F) line my whole life too. (F) riders to an extent dont care, but when the R42s hit that line, $h!t hit the fan, even though those cars had really good A/Cs, ran fast, had more comfortable seats & held more passengers, the condition of those cars disgusted a lot of those riders and it was a slap in the face for both (F) & (E) train riders. But when the R160s came in, it was much more of a reprieve to the riders who disliked those R42s.

You're right on that point. I found it rather interesting when the (F) had a mixed package of 32s, 40 Mods, 42s, 46s and 160s. But you're right 100% on the R42 issue: to me, I really didn't care, but 3838 did bring up the fact that there were too many of them on the line, and on a "starship" line like the (F), I'd absolutely see why they'd find them distasteful. As for the (E), don't get me started on that line. They had good R32 equipment but blame Jamaica for their shoddy maintenance and residents from a particular neighborhood for their countless ranting.

The R32s were looking great on the inside & outside, only problems were the failing A/Cs & the messed up brakes. I wish that Jamaica had some better maintenance back in the day so we'd be seeing these up along the line again

You can say that again. At least 207th, Coney Island and Pitkin have good track records with maintaining their equipment, which explains why the 272 R44s at Pitkin had a higher MDBF from when ALL R46s were at Jamaica.

You're right on that point. I found it rather interesting when the (F) had a mixed package of 32s, 40 Mods, 42s, 46s and 160s. But you're right 100% on the R42 issue: to me, I really didn't care, but 3838 did bring up the fact that there were too many of them on the line, and on a "starship" line like the (F), I'd absolutely see why they'd find them distasteful. As for the (E), don't get me started on that line. They had good R32 equipment but blame Jamaica for their shoddy maintenance and residents from a particular neighborhood for their countless ranting.

You can say that again. At least 207th, Coney Island and Pitkin have good track records with maintaining their equipment, which explains why the 272 R44s at Pitkin had a higher MDBF from when ALL R46s were at Jamaica.

If you mean too much R42s, I would assume its because the (F) line is a much more longer route than the (E) and has more passengers in Brooklyn, Manhattan & Queens, which would make sense to run more 60ft cars on that line for higher capacity & to meet with the demands.

If you mean too much R42s, I would assume its because the (F) line is a much more longer route than the (E) and has more passengers in Brooklyn, Manhattan & Queens, which would make sense to run more 60ft cars on that line for higher capacity & to meet with the demands.

Yeah, there were too many R42s but they were for the greater good.

R32's and R46's, I can't Stand the R160's on the (F), I don't mind the (F) having the R160's but they are trying to put most of them on the (F), (F) riders get very angry when their R46 don't pop up, When An R160 pops up they get very upset, One Passenger whent to the dispacher and said WHERE IN THE HELL IS THE REGULAR (F) TRAIN!!!! (meaning an R46), That's how bad it is.

160 on the F line isn't all that bad.

Yeah, there were too many R42s but they were for the greater good.

I want those R-42 back on my J and A line..I'll be happy person.

160 on the F line isn't all that bad.

I want those R-42 back on my J and A line..I'll be happy person.

Just keep the 42s off the Rockaway segment...the seawater will rust the hell outta the rooflines.

And you're an (A)/© rider as well? Good to know. My home station is Ralph Avenue, but I can also use Utica. I live roughly 5=7 minutes (via B47 bus) from Gates Avenue on the (J), so SMEEs are a treat for me :cool:.

Just keep the 42s off the Rockaway segment...the seawater will rust the hell outta the rooflines.

And you're an (A)/© rider as well? Good to know. My home station is Ralph Avenue, but I can also use Utica. I live roughly 5=7 minutes (via B47 bus) from Gates Avenue on the (J), so SMEEs are a treat for me :cool:.

Yea I am...Bway Junction is my home station(kinda)

Though yeah, most passengers dont care about what they ride on as long as they get them from Point A to Point B in good time. Some prefer the R160s for their convenience while others prefer the R46 for comfort or whatever. But a survey said how 70% of (F) riders would like an upgrade from the R42s and R32s. I'm not speaking from a railfan basis, just speaking from a statistic. On a railfan basis, I would LOVE to see the Phase II R32s back in action again!

(F) riders did not mind the R32's, Im not sayng I hate the R160's on the (F), But They should make the (F) half & half, They were better off keeping the R32's on the (F) than the (V), But I do Like the on the (V), I like the (F) riders because they don't complain about anything, (E) riders are the most annoying.

(F) riders did not mind the R32's, Im not sayng I hate the R160's on the (F), But They should make the (F) half & half, They were better off keeping the R32's on the (F) than the (V), But I do Like the on the (V), I like the (F) riders because they don't complain about anything, (E) riders are the most annoying.

Isnt the (E) riders complaining the one of the main reasons as to why Jamaica has 160s now? lol

207 and/or Pitkin would have been a much more worthy yard seeing as the (A) and (C) seem to be the graveyard lines which always have the super crappy cars on them and the NTT's would honestly have been a nice upgrade.

The R46 is actually a bit better for me with the wheelchair - with all of the angles and corners created by the seating arrangement, it's not too difficult to find a place to park a wheelchair and transfer to a seat, when one's available. On the 160, I either block an aisle or door, unless I can get a seat right next to a door and then cross my leg so that the wheelchair is flush up against the bench. And that hurts, for a long trip.

Having said that, I do prefer the 160's newer features, particularly the next stop information - because I also have low vision, it's much easier to track that than it is to crane my neck to see what station I'm in right now, particularly if I'm on a line I'm not familiar with (I'm largely familiar with the (F), at least from Queens to W 4th St).

Really, I don't care, so long as it gets me there in more or less one piece. I have yet to take an R160 over a long express route, like I have on an R142 via the (4)(5) between 125th-86th or 86th-59th - to my memory, I was worried I'd need a dentist by the time I got to my transfer at 42nd on an R142. But that was a few years ago, 2002 I believe, they may have still been working on the kinks. (the IRT is not exactly the most accessible part of the NYC subway system, although it's improved lately, it's kind of a treat when I can take an IRT line rather than BMT/IND).

?????? Alot of the E and F riders are exactly the same people. At least on the Queens end. Also a lot took either from Queens to Lex to change to the Lex local. When the F was switched to 63rd most chose the E because it was express over the local V.

The E and F have extremely high ridership. Definitely was in need for reliable equipment and equipment that would be compatible with coming signal upgrades.

Isnt the (E) riders complaining the one of the main reasons as to why Jamaica has 160s now? lol

207 and/or Pitkin would have been a much more worthy yard seeing as the (A) and (C) seem to be the graveyard lines which always have the super crappy cars on them and the NTT's would honestly have been a nice upgrade.

Archived