The New M Train

Q101viaSteinway

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NT 4 hasn't had a major update since 1999 (Service Pack 6a) and has been officially unsupported since 2004.

Since even Windows XP is heading for a loss of support in a few years, I highly doubt the trains would be running NT 4.0—2 versions behind XP. Windows 2000 or XP would be a likely choice if it were Windows. Yet at the same time, there are businesses that have been running critical applications on Windows 3.11 continuously for more than a decade, so lack of support might not preclude actual usage.

there are businesses that have been running critical applications on Windows 3.11 continuously for more than a decade, so lack of support might not preclude actual usage.

OS/2 used to have a significant presence in the banking industry as well as with ATMs. Hell, if it works, why **** with it? Those are different scenarios though, they were established systems while the system was well-supported and updated.

For arguments' sake, lets imagine that the software on the R160s was designed in 2003-4...why base it on a sinking ship when newer technologies were readily available? It certainly wouldn't be a cost reason: with such a high number of targets, the per-client licensing would be dirt-cheap.

As Vista shows us, "newer technologies" might not work. So they might rely on tried and true systems. A system like this is no place to be testing new systems, especially something like Windows!

Vista works fine. The problem with vista exists between the keyboard and chair.

Vista works fine. The problem with vista exists between the keyboard and chair.

I wish that were true, but even with Windows 7 and brand new hardware I'm getting bad performance. The system was built with Vista-friendly hardware and that means 7-friendly hardware because anything that works with Vista should work with 7.

I wish that were true, but even with Windows 7 and brand new hardware I'm getting bad performance. The system was built with Vista-friendly hardware and that means 7-friendly hardware because anything that works with Vista should work with 7.

You must be doing something wrong or something else is bogging it down. Windows 7 runs fast and smoothly on my laptop.

Back on topic, people................

The (M) will never be taken away once it's put into effect.

I highly doubt that dude. The time savings factor on the (M) will be virtually little to no time savings at all. People will just jump ship to the (L) again and the service change will be canned.

But don't all people ADORE one-seat rides? :cough-Lefferts-cough:

That's something I don't understand...however, if people decide to leave their houses several minutes earlier, just to catch a seat, then so be it.

But don't all people ADORE one-seat rides? :cough-Lefferts-cough:

But for Lefferts it is justified. Who'd want to ride the (C) from Lefferts to Euclid? Most would just abandon the (C) at Rockaway Blvd and take the (A). If the (C) was also an express, and the (H) shuttle ran all the way to Court St [moving the Musuem elsewhere] becoming the only local, then you can run the (C) to Lefferts.

Again, the point of the (A) to Lefferts Boulevard is to have the frequency on the mainline (207th Street-Rockaway Blvd) that is needed to carry the passengers the (A) gets. If you send the (C) to Lefferts, the frequency on the mainline (A) is reduced, assuming the same number of cars are being used.

Also, only the people from Middle Village bound for Midtown get the perks. (J) customers would still have to transfer at either Marcy or Essex. The only good thing is, it would save them a flight of stairs.

Actually, I don't even know if it benefits the people north of Wycoff Avenue, since I'm sure they think that taking the (M) to Wycoff Avenue for the (L) to 6th Avenue is quicker than just staying on the (M). They are probably right, since the (M) has a circuituous loop, but it is probably less than 5 minutes faster.

The thing that makes the (L) better is that it offers connections to the Broadway/Lexington Avenue Lines at Union Square and the 8th Avenue Line at 8th Avenue, in addition to the 6th Avenue Line.

Most of the people that will really benefit will be the people along Broadway, but at least 6th Avenue riders along the new (M) can have a seat if they want it. Even the (J) customers have a shot at a seat at Marcy or Essex.

Archived