The New M Train

Q101viaSteinway

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh. Thanks. So then that means I can still take the (M) to the (2) to go to school then. Or am I wrong? Because people were telling me I would still have to take 3 trains but I don't see how that would be if the (M) will be at 14th Street with the (2).

That's still going to be a pretty long walk though. I know you don't like to take multiple trains, but I think you could take the (M) to Broadway-Lafayette for the (6) to BB-CH for the (5).

To return back, you can take the (2) to (M)

I rather take those 5 minutes instead of adding on an extra train or taking a bus. Well I might move this summer (still in Queens) so who knows if my journey will be different in time for the Fall semester.

But what about that long underground walk from Sixth Avenue to Seventh Avenue if you choose to take the (M) to the (2), which would result in adding on MORE time to your travel??

Well, it certainly was no picnic for me. In the morning I'm dead tired. Last thing I need is to walk a Manhattan city block for a transfer.

Do what I do: snort some cok...I mean drink more coffee. :cool:

I would also like to say that I would've had a better idea. I would've just take off the (V) and then make the (M) go from Metro Ave to Lex Ave/53rd Street at all times. I just don't think it makes any sense for the (M) to go to Metro Ave to Brooklyn to Manhattan and then back to a different part of Queens! Even without the (V) service, Astoria, LIC and Forest Hills still has other train service. It just makes no sense to me.

But then if you terminate it at Lex/53 where is it going to turn around? There are no layover tracks there, and you still have the (E) running in both directions.

Plus, with the (G) basically nonexistent on the QBL... and the (R) running all the way into Bay Ridge... I think having another local there just gives a little more insurance.

But then if you terminate it at Lex/53 where is it going to turn around? There are no layover tracks there, and you still have the (E) running in both directions.

Plus, with the (G) basically nonexistent on the QBL... and the (R) running all the way into Bay Ridge... I think having another local there just gives a little more insurance.

Crap. I didn't think of that. I understand.

But what about that long underground walk from Sixth Avenue to Seventh Avenue if you choose to take the (M) to the (2), which would result in adding on MORE time to your travel??

I could use the exercise. :)

I'll see what happens when this change happens.

You must be speeding down there...obey the speed limit :P

Its like a minute for me on a good day and about 2 when I feel lazy or with my friends. Its just like the walk from Times Sq to PABT

I think the walk from Times Square to PABT is much worse. It feels like forever.

You must be speeding down there...obey the speed limit :P

Its like a minute for me on a good day and about 2 when I feel lazy or with my friends. Its just like the walk from Times Sq to PABT

Why didn't anyone tell me about this so-called "speed limit"???

I think the walk from Times Square to PABT is much worse. It feels like forever.

LOL not for me! :P

That's still going to be a pretty long walk though. I know you don't like to take multiple trains, but I think you could take the (M) to Broadway-Lafayette for the (6) to BB-CH for the (5).

To return back, you can take the (2) to (M)

Or he could just take the (J)/(Z) to Fulton and he has his choice of the (2) or the (5) seems eaiser unless I'm missing something here.

EDIT - Ok he lives on the (M) only I thought he was along Broadway for the (J) (M2) (Z)...But still transferring to the (J)/(Z) and Fulton would be quicker..at least he would still going in the direction that he needed...I personally hate going in circle to get to my destination....Uptown just to get back downtown would feel like a weekend GO....

In a perfect MTA world he would be able to take the (M) to Hewes and transfer to the (G) to Fulton and transfer to the (2)/(5) at Atlantic..That would be the quickest, shouldn't need to go into the city at all.....but I digress...

Or she could just take the (J)/(Z) to Fulton and he has his choice of the (2) or the (5) seems eaiser unless I'm missing something here.

EDIT - Ok she lives on the (M) only I thought he was along Broadway for the (J) (M2) (Z)...But still transferring to the (J)/(Z) and Fulton would be quicker..at least she would still going in the direction that he needed...I personally hate going in circle to get to my destination....Uptown just to get back downtown would feel like a weekend GO....

In a perfect MTA world she would be able to take the (M) to Hewes and transfer to the (G) to Fulton and transfer to the (2)/(5) at Atlantic..That would be the quickest, shouldn't need to go into the city at all.....but I digress...

edit: she.

But yes I do agree. That is also better than going out of the way even though it requires one more transfer.

In a perfect MTA world he would be able to take the (M) to Hewes and transfer to the (G) to Fulton and transfer to the (2)/(5) at Atlantic..That would be the quickest, shouldn't need to go into the city at all.....but I digress...

In a perfect MTA, you would be able to take the Myrtle el all the way downtown and pick up something there, and it would also cross the (G); or maybe even have an extended Franklin Shuttle connect to it.

In a perfect MTA, you would be able to take the Myrtle el all the way downtown and pick up something there, and it would also cross the (G); or maybe even have an extended Franklin Shuttle connect to it.

In a perfect MTA, all we have to do is update the Third Ave El and we don't need to talk about the SAS.

Stations are 600' ~ give or take. It's not a big deal for the (C) which runs 8-car trains or the (M2) in southern Brooklyn* which runs 8-car trains.

So have the trains stop close to the stairs. Otherwise at worst you'll need to run 120' for the first or last car.

Not that big of a deal. As Grand Concourse said, the (C) runs 480 feet trains and the stations it serves have lengths that are slightly longer than the standard 600'. There are car plate markers at those stations: the (C) stops before the 8 marker. Don't forget: there was a service that ran along 6th Avenue before using the Chrystie Cut after 1969. It ran with 8 car trains, so it was done before. The (G) runs half length trains in full length stations.

Ah, I see. Thanks!

Archived