The New M Train

Q101viaSteinway

Keep in mind (M2) riders wanting 6th Av service would have to go down and up several flights of stairs and wait for the train to show up. So sure the (M2)-(L)-(F) is more direct, but if you add in time to walk up/down the stairs and the wait for and then to get on the train - they all add up.

The (L) does not have to worry about other trains crossing in front of it. Because the (J) has more seniority over the (M2) does (and it will most likely stay that way) the (J)/(Z) usually goes ahead of the (M2) at Myrtle Avenue 9/10 times. Then the (M) will have to tie in with (J)/(Z) service again at Essex Street approaching the bridge, and the (M) will have to tie in with the (F) entering Broadway and Lafayette Street; chances are, the (F) will get the line up first before the (M).

The only people who are REALLY benefitting from this service change are Broadway Brooklyn riders between Myrtle and Marcy. The (J) bypasses the stations in between Myrtle and Marcy but if a passenger at either Myrtle or Marcy don't see ANY (M) train entering the station before the (J) does, they may just transfer for the (F) at Essex.

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They should've kept the (V) idea! I'm a little sad that there's going to be an Orange (M). They should've kept it brown since it stops at Essex Street. It's going to be kind of weird that the (M2) we all know is now orange.

RIP (V) (December 16, 2001-June 25, 2010; 8 1/2 great years of service)

The (L) does not have to worry about other trains crossing in front of it. Because the (J) has more seniority over the (M2) does (and it will most likely stay that way) the (J)/(Z) usually goes ahead of the (M2) at Myrtle Avenue 9/10 times. Then the (M) will have to tie in with (J)/(Z) service again at Essex Street approaching the bridge, and the (M) will have to tie in with the (F) entering Broadway and Lafayette Street; chances are, the (F) will get the line up first before the (M).

The only people who are REALLY benefitting from this service change are Broadway Brooklyn riders between Myrtle and Marcy. The (J) bypasses the stations in between Myrtle and Marcy but if a passenger at either Myrtle or Marcy don't see ANY (M) train entering the station before the (J) does, they may just transfer for the (F) at Essex.

I understand you have reservations against it. But we need to see it in person if this is a success or a failure. All we can do now is speculate about how it is.

They should've kept the (V) idea! I'm a little sad that there's going to be an Orange (M). They should've kept it brown since it stops at Essex Street. It's going to be kind of weird that the (M2) we all know is now orange.

RIP (V) (December 16, 2001-June 25, 2010; 8 1/2 great years of service)

(V) or (M), it doesn't really matter considering they are going to be the same route in June.

Keep in mind (M2) riders wanting 6th Av service would have to go down and up several flights of stairs and wait for the train to show up. So sure the (M2)-(L)-(F) is more direct, but if you add in time to walk up/down the stairs and the wait for and then to get on the train - they all add up.

That's why I said that the extra transfers would slow down the trip so that it is less than 5 minutes faster, but in the Middle Village riders' minds, it is more time than that, which would mean that some people would take the (M2)-(L)-(F) route regardless.

That's why I said that the extra transfers would slow down the trip so that it is less than 5 minutes faster, but in the Middle Village riders' minds, it is more time than that, which would mean that some people would take the (M2)-(L)-(F) route regardless.

Which is true, but let's put it this way: we all know the (M2) to southern Brooklyn was going to be cut back to Chambers St 18/5. That was a given. But at the same time you have the (V) that terminated nearly empty.

This is why the two 'stubs' were tied up into this new line. That is what this line is really for - to lop off two dead ends. If it draws off (F) riders that were going to transfer at Delancy-Essex, then great. But if not then it is just 4 stations total that sees a reduction in service.

But yes the added detriment now would be every station north of Essex on the 6th Av and QB lines will now have to deal with a shorter train.

I look forward to the new (M) service. I really do. The problem is the 6-trains-per-hour headways. I stay with a friend every so often close to Myrtle-Broadway, and I'm not sure that getting to work on 53rd & 7th via the (V) to the (:P/(D) will be the fastest route. (Currently it's the (J)/(Z) to the (N)/(Q).)

I hope they realize how popular this line will be and increase its service.

All we can do now is speculate about how it is.

Oy, not again!!!:mad:

I look forward to the new (M) service. I really do. The problem is the 6-trains-per-hour headways. I stay with a friend every so often close to Myrtle-Broadway, and I'm not sure that getting to work on 53rd & 7th via the (V) to the (:P/(D) will be the fastest route. (Currently it's the (J)/(Z) to the (N)/(Q).)

I hope they realize how popular this line will be and increase its service.

They probably will...6 TPH won't fly on QBL.

They are contemplating to add more (R) service after the service cuts

1. To make up for the lost brown M service in South Brooklyn

2. To make up for less Queens local service

Which makes sense because I don't see the (M) keeping the (V)'s headways. And Broadway can use the extra service in Lower Manhattan.

The IND stations and trains are really long and the M and its stations are shorter....how will that work? Will a smaller train just use the long stations..?

Stations are 600' ~ give or take. It's not a big deal for the (C) which runs 8-car trains or the (M2) in southern Brooklyn* which runs 8-car trains.

So have the trains stop close to the stairs. Otherwise at worst you'll need to run 120' for the first or last car.

The IND stations and trains are really long and the M and its stations are shorter....how will that work? Will a smaller train just use the long stations..?

Not that big of a deal. As Grand Concourse said, the (C) runs 480 feet trains and the stations it serves have lengths that are slightly longer than the standard 600'. There are car plate markers at those stations: the (C) stops before the 8 marker. Don't forget: there was a service that ran along 6th Avenue before using the Chrystie Cut after 1969. It ran with 8 car trains, so it was done before. The (G) runs half length trains in full length stations.

Ok I'm still confused how this is all going to work out.

Will the (M) run from Metro Ave to Essex Street and then after Essex Street it will then be taking over where the (V) used to be meaning it will go from Bway/Lafayette to Lex Ave/53rd Street and then the last stop will be Forest Hills? Am I getting this correctly?

Ok I'm still confused how this is all going to work out.

Will the (M) run from Metro Ave to Essex Street and then after Essex Street it will then be taking over where the (V) used to be meaning it will go from Bway/Lafayette to Lex Ave/53rd Street and then the last stop will be Forest Hills? Am I getting this correctly?

Yep, that's correct.

Oh. Thanks. So then that means I can still take the (M) to the (2) to go to school then. Or am I wrong? Because people were telling me I would still have to take 3 trains but I don't see how that would be if the (M) will be at 14th Street with the (2).

ETA:

I would also like to say that I would've had a better idea. I would've just take off the (V) and then make the (M) go from Metro Ave to Lex Ave/53rd Street at all times. I just don't think it makes any sense for the (M) to go to Metro Ave to Brooklyn to Manhattan and then back to a different part of Queens! Even without the (V) service, Astoria, LIC and Forest Hills still has other train service. It just makes no sense to me.

Oh. Thanks. So then that means I can still take the (M) to the (2) to go to school then. Or am I wrong? Because people were telling me I would still have to take 3 trains but I don't see how that would be if the (M) will be at 14th Street with the (2).

Well...it depends on which way is quicker. You stated you could also take the (L) to the (5), correct? Whether the train is SRO you're getting to your destination FASTER. You could also take the (J)/(Z) train at Myrtle Avenue if it's in the platform, hop on that, and transfer to the (5) there.

The (2) is local in Brooklyn, adding on five minutes to your travel time at most.

Archived