The New M Train

Q101viaSteinway

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just realized something (seriously)...even though the (M2) will never share tracks with the (R) again, the (M) will now in Queens ;)

Never say never when it comes to the MTA!

An interesting article in the New York Times about the changes to the signs and maps for the upcoming service changes that take effect Monday June 28th. Did you know it might cost approximately $25 to produce just a small vinyl (M) or approximately $300 to make a large ceramic sign?

Story and pic of small vinyl orange M's being produced: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/10/nyregion/10signage.html

I said it once and Ill say it again. I oppose these changes all the way...After 40 Years of the (M2) serving South Brooklyn, they scrap it...:mad: And like many of you guys said as well, the (W) should have just been kept as a "Rush-Hour Only Route" until they had some extra revenue to okay it as it an all-day weekday route... This is terrible news... Look it how much its costing them just to change the signs now. Ridiculous.

This is terrible news... Look it how much its costing them just to change the signs now. Ridiculous.

What? You thought changing signs was free? look how much it cost to change Triboro Bridge into RFK.

I just don't get it. They doing these service cuts to save money, but yet its costing a ton of money to just change the signs. Wouldn't the (M) to Forest Hills-71st be longer then the (M) to Bay Parkway? As Brighton Local said the (W) should have just been kept as a rush hour only route. The (W) isn't even needed midday hrs. Astoria bunches up anyways during the middays. I would have rather saw the (R) going to Astoria and the (Q) to Forest Hills-71st. Atleast the people know the (R) would be local to Whitehall St and Brooklyn and keep the (N) express.

Oh well thats the MTA for us. Which means ill have to do a trip out on the West End to get them last (M)s in South Brooklyn.

I said it once and Ill say it again. I oppose these changes all the way...After 40 Years of the (M2) serving South Brooklyn, they scrap it...:mad: And like many of you guys said as well, the (W) should have just been kept as a "Rush-Hour Only Route" until they had some extra revenue to okay it as it an all-day weekday route... This is terrible news... Look it how much its costing them just to change the signs now. Ridiculous.

I'm with you 100% Z. It's a real shame indeed.

If you ask me, I think the (W) should be turned into a peak-hour route instead, operating downtown in the a.m. and uptown in the p.m. Just the way I see it.

...this is terrible news... Look it how much its costing them just to change the signs now. Ridiculous.

It isn't that bad, at least this time they thought ahead.

All told, the cost of the new signs and maps is expected to reach about $800,000. Some of that money was already budgeted, the agency said, since new maps are printed every year.

I just don't get it. They doing these service cuts to save money, but yet its costing a ton of money to just change the signs. Wouldn't the (M) to Forest Hills-71st be longer then the (M) to Bay Parkway? As Brighton Local said the (W) should have just been kept as a rush hour only route. The (W) isn't even needed midday hrs. Astoria bunches up anyways during the middays. I would have rather saw the (R) going to Astoria and the (Q) to Forest Hills-71st. Atleast the people know the (R) would be local to Whitehall St and Brooklyn and keep the (N) express.

Oh well thats the MTA for us. Which means ill have to do a trip out on the West End to get them last (M)s in South Brooklyn.

The (M) would be a longer router.But the (V) is going away so basically its probobaly dosen't cost them more to do it.

The (M) would be a longer router.But the (V) is going away so basically its probobaly dosen't cost them more to do it.

I don't think it is a longer route, but that segment is more demanding [Midtown and QB] vs Nassau, 4th Av, West End. So this combined line will require slightly more trains than the (M2) to Bay Pkwy.

It only costs less than $800,000 to replace the signs for one time instead of spending millions on the services every year.

To pay for the signs, they are probably laying off more employees or another fare hike:mad::mad::mad::tdown:

It is already in the budget, well most of it.

All told, the cost of the new signs and maps is expected to reach about $800,000. Some of that money was already budgeted, the agency said, since new maps are printed every year.

It is already in the budget, well most of it.

I only read some, not most (in the article). Even so, that's the maps portion. New signs would have to be fabricated, because some stations would have to require more signs. Also, the (V) would have to be patched up at 2nd Avenue. Announcements? They have to re-do them right? So you have to bring in the announcers, and re-do all of them and pay them. And new signs at bus stops?

I only read some, not most (in the article). Even so, that's the maps portion. New signs would have to be fabricated, because some stations would have to require more signs. Also, the (V) would have to be patched up at 2nd Avenue. Announcements? They have to re-do them right? So you have to bring in the announcers, and re-do all of them and pay them. And new signs at bus stops?

Most of you guys are overhyping this. It doesn't take much to reprogram things for the R160s. Those syllables are already programmed on the R160. Signs are signs, but they print out new maps each year. I don't see anybody complaining about all of the money being wasted there. Plus, it's actually cheaper in the long run where they're saying money on employee salaries and things like that.

Most of you guys are overhyping this. It doesn't take much to reprogram things for the R160s. Those syllables are already programmed on the R160. Signs are signs, but they print out new maps each year. I don't see anybody complaining about all of the money being wasted there. Plus, it's actually cheaper in the long run where they're saying money on employee salaries and things like that.

Money is still money. A penny saved is a penny earned.

It would be cheaper to change the signs now than to keep service the same. Don't forget that if they go through the same trouble next year, they will have spent the money on the service and still have to change the signs. I think the article said it cost $180,000 to change all of the maps, plus maybe a few million dollars to take down all of the eliminated bus stops and replace the rollsigns. But even still, there are $77 million in service reductions (I think $93 million is the total including LI Bus, Metro-North, and LIRR), and for a few million dollars, they get to save all of that money on service. The new subway/bus maps they would have to print out eventually anyway.

Archived