The New M Train

Q101viaSteinway

It would be cheaper to change the signs now than to keep service the same. Don't forget that if they go through the same trouble next year, they will have spent the money on the service and still have to change the signs. I think the article said it cost $180,000 to change all of the maps, plus maybe a few million dollars to take down all of the eliminated bus stops and replace the rollsigns. But even still, there are $77 million in service reductions (I think $93 million is the total including LI Bus, Metro-North, and LIRR), and for a few million dollars, they get to save all of that money on service. The new subway/bus maps they would have to print out eventually anyway.

Ah. Well anyway, I do look forward to the new maps though. I do have one suggestion for them: get rid of those bus connection balloons on the map.

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Announcements? They have to re-do them right? So you have to bring in the announcers, and re-do all of them and pay them. And new signs at bus stops?

I thought the announcers volunteered from Bloomberg radio and did it for free. I don't see why they shouldn't do it again. They may not even bring them in. Maybe just cut and paste things together to get a 71st Av bound M.

I thought the announcers volunteered from Bloomberg radio and did it for free. I don't see why they shouldn't do it again. They may not even bring them in. Maybe just cut and paste things together to get a 71st Av bound M.

They get paid.

Its going to be cut and paste. They programmed all lines on the voice. The electronic LED and LCD display signs will be big key to notice the change.

I just don't get it. They doing these service cuts to save money, but yet its costing a ton of money to just change the signs. Wouldn't the (M) to Forest Hills-71st be longer then the (M) to Bay Parkway? As Brighton Local said the (W) should have just been kept as a rush hour only route. The (W) isn't even needed midday hrs. Astoria bunches up anyways during the middays. I would have rather saw the (R) going to Astoria and the (Q) to Forest Hills-71st. Atleast the people know the (R) would be local to Whitehall St and Brooklyn and keep the (N) express.

Oh well thats the MTA for us. Which means ill have to do a trip out on the West End to get them last (M)s in South Brooklyn.

I agree...

The (W) should have been reduced to Rush Hrs Only w/the (N) running express during AM & PM Rush and local other times.

The (V) could have had its hours slightly cutback as well...but oh well..whats done is done

The (R) did operate to Astoria, but the problem was that it had no yard adjacent to neither its north or south terminal, which resulted in long dead heads across the Sea Beach Line to the Coney Island Yards...so in a attempt to improve service they had the (N) & (R) switch northern terminals...so the (R) had direct access to the Jamaica Yard and the (N) to Coney Island

That cutting and pasting would be interesting to see though

But still a waste of money.They could have figured out a way to keep the (W) and (V).

I agree...both of these lines could have been kept as Rush Hr Only services

The (W) runs rush hrs only w/the (N) operating express during this time. Other times the (N) would be local

The (V) could operate from 6:00AM-10:00AM & 3:30PM-8:00PM

The (M2) could have been just a shuttle all times w/a looonng Rush Hr extension to S.Bklyn...similar to how the (CC) was the Rockaway shuttle that was extended all the way to the Bronx during rush hrs.

I agree...both of these lines could have been kept as Rush Hr Only services

The (W) runs rush hrs only w/the (N) operating express during this time. Other times the (N) would be local

The (V) could operate from 6:00AM-10:00AM & 3:30PM-8:00PM

The (M2) could have been just a shuttle all times w/a looonng Rush Hr extension to S.Bklyn...similar to how the (CC) was the Rockaway shuttle that was extended all the way to the Bronx during rush hrs.

TBH, the (W) would better suffice as a peak-direction route because that would free up half the trains it uses. Just run it for four hours a day (7-9 a.m. to Manhattan; 4-6 p.m. to Queens, every eight minutes).

Also, the (V) isn't needed after 9:00; they could have just eliminated the evening portion of the line and call it a day, but NOOOOOOOOOOO, they wanted to combine two friggin lines to accompdate this POS routing.

Don't worry, it won't last long. So the Middle Village and Glendale people who so desperately wanted this service better not get too comfy. Look at the headways for goodness sake; they're still putting them over with 10-minute headways. It's so stupid to the point that whoever even came up with the absurd idea should be fired. Mark my words.

That's a very good point, but you will still be able to connect with the (N) at 34th St-Herald Square. Strange saying that but it's going to be true.

True, but it means a walk upstairs and back down.

Rather than the (M2) crossing above the (N) at Canal, the (M) will be running below the (N) at 34th-HS.

That's actually pretty interesting to note.

Np. I'm making connections as we're going along :)

I'm sure there'll be more connections later on like Broadway-Lafayette when the n/b (6) is connected to the 6th av lines.

Then you can say you can still catch the (M) and (6) at 2 stations:

(M2): canal and Chambers

(M): B'way-Lafayette and 53rd-Lex

That's actually pretty interesting, there will be a lot of patronage at Broadway-Lafayette when the uptown connection is opened. Expect the south motor cars to be filled.

And of all the possible subway cuts, the (V) and the (W) make the most sense.

The (V) was hated from the get-go. The question of "Why do you exist?" goes through the head of every Culver rider each time they see a (V). The MTA had to do something with it...

The (W) exists because of overcrowding on the Astoria line - reducing it to a mere rush hour line would've angered northwestern Queens to no avail. Astoria riders would almost equate this to service during the (N)ever and ®arely days of the 90's. The (Q) will do an adequate job replacing the (W).

Whatever money the MTA spends on making new signs is an investment for them. Their focus is on the net gain.

And of all the possible subway cuts, the (V) and the (W) make the most sense.

The (V) was hated from the get-go. The question of "Why do you exist?" goes through the head of every Culver rider each time they see a (V). The MTA had to do something with it...

Oh please, the (V) is fine as it is. The only room for improvement would be to extend it along the Culver once the Viaduct renovation is complete.

(M2)/(V) morons have existed since the days of SubTalk. I've been putting up with (V) haters since the line started.

But even if you were to cut a service back to rush hours only, you still have to replace the signs to reflect that. For example, you would have to replace a sign that says ''(W) to Astoria weekdays'' with a sign that says ''(W) to Astoria PM rush hours''.

Still, it's less than covering every (W).

Archived