R160 R Train

Iamthe1

Of course now that there are R160s on the R as well as N/W, I will have to look at the signs instead of just the car body when I run down the stairs to catch a train in the station.

Exactly what you and everybody else should always be doing, even before the first R160 train started to run on the R.

Reminds me of a story about 10 years ago when I was working the E. R32's ruled, R46's were a rare treat. One trip I bought an R46 north. Some woman @ Parsons/Archer started yelling at me that the sign "said" F. I didn't know R46 signs could "talk". I told her if it said F there would be a lot of others here besides her. She accused me of changing the sign midroute w/o an announcement. I just walked away.

Reminds me of a story about 10 years ago when I was working the E. R32's ruled, R46's were a rare treat. One trip I bought an R46 north. Some woman @ Parsons/Archer started yelling at me that the sign "said" F. I didn't know R46 signs could "talk". I told her if it said F there would be a lot of others here besides her. She accused me of changing the sign midroute w/o an announcement. I just walked away.

I can see how that could happen. I once did that myself with an E, although I didn't yell at any crews over it. Likewise I took a W at Court St assuming it was an M.

Today, I got the R160 (R) 9278-9282 & 9293-9297 at 86 St this morning.

This past week and today there was one lvg 95 St around 7:19 or on a following interval each day. Otherwise I've been catching all R-46s.

Caught one on Saturday at 25th St after checking out a new apartment (which we're probably taking!). Made for an extra exciting day, and thanks to my girlfriend who let's me rattle on about the different subway cars and smile and nod at me :cool:

The system will be bland if every B Division line uses R160's.

Thats what I'm saying! It would be cooler if the MTA has different train designs for each colored routes...like one unique train design for the blue lines, another for the orange, etc.

Most other systems have a diff. design for each individual line, including Japan's (Tokyo) which seems to have a more complex system. I think its so cool to see and ride those different trains...but of course, it seems we would be stuck with one style. Then again Japan and some other places consider their train fans through special events, shows, goods, and all sorts of things, while MTA would give a rat's tail about us...clients' interest, let alone fandom.

And for the long distance outdoor trains (;)(D)(F)(N)(Q), they should keep the design with window seats. Its more uncomfortable riding a "bench" seat train on a long journey..seems have less personal space. Its even harder to look out the window and see the scenery...you look weird doing it, like a child, and your neck/back hurts. ...sometimes, I get a little motion sick when not looking out the window anyway.

I wish passengers can have some input on train design..

Archived