Bus drivers please read, for it will help others on this site

Chris Frusci

I won't get lost. The next month I will be spending ALOT of time studying for the dispatcher exam. Now, for all of those who took test 8006, I need sample questions. PLEASE POST UP ALL THE QUESTIONS YOU REMEMBER.

Still got 3 years to wait if you do pass that.....Good Luck, though.

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stuff about proper procedure in the event of passenger injury..

Call control. If you are a probie, hold your bladder and bowels contents, and hope witnesses take your side, so you have no worries.

If it's something not related to your operation of the bus (fight etc...), ask the injured if they are O.K., call control, and get them help. Here in the Bx, we ask them if they are O.K., and ask them if they need help. If they say no, keep it moving, and forget calling control.

Call control. If you are a probie, hold your bladder and bowels contents, and hope witnesses take your side, so you have no worries.

If it's something not related to your operation of the bus (fight etc...), ask the injured if they are O.K., call control, and get them help. Here in the Bx, we ask them if they are O.K., and ask them if they need help. If they say no, keep it moving, and forget calling control.

People love to sue the city/state for just about anything and everything. I know the MTA have their own lawyers. As a bus operator if you are sued by a passenger who represents you? A union lawyer? Also what about asset protection? Is an umbrella policy a good idea to have to protect YOUR assets?

Which is the best way to protect yourself?

hello guys. well as some of you already said, when i went to take the exam there was a lot of people outside waiting, we waited like 20 minutes outside after the scheduled time, then a monitor guy was passing around yelling out loud "not cellphones allowed inside the building, and if someone have a cellphone you will not be allowed to take the test, will need to take the test next time. but it wasn't really true because they don't search nobody package to see if you have a cellphone, or something like that. you just need to turn off, and keep it away from clear view.

about the test as loco said i remembered that question about the fog lights, I think that question was a little confusing for me too. i chose amber. i dont know if im wrong but i think its the one that makes more sense to me. if im wrong let me know please. As Chris said there was a lot of question realated to bus routes, and how to get from one place to other using the map. not too many CDL questions. the most that i got were concerning how to st in snow, how to brake in a snowy day, most of them were related to snow, and steering . people safety in the bus, when to write a report of an accident. few common sense questions too. but i think all the tets were the same. because i got those same questions that u guys had too. so i think all of them were the same. the most that i got were questions concerning time from one route to other. and reading the map. ohh another thing is you need to know about the military time. they have a few questions about that too. so thats mostly it. it wasnt that hard for me. i think it was fine. if im not wrong im in the same track as you guys :(, i might be btw 6-10 wrongs. so lets see in one month.

GOOD LUCK CHRIS ON YOUR TEST!:P THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP GUYS.

People love to sue the city/state for just about anything and everything. I know the MTA have their own lawyers. As a bus operator if you are sued by a passenger who represents you? A union lawyer? Also what about asset protection? Is an umbrella policy a good idea to have to protect YOUR assets?

Which is the best way to protect yourself?

I have never heard of any B/O being sued. The plaintiff wants the MTA to pay. Why? The deep pockets theory. B/O is a broke scmuck (most who have child support payments). MTA = cha-ching. You go after who will pay you the most. We do have union lawyers, but that is for MTA issues (getting your job back, getting back pay, etc....)

TO ALL WHO TOOK 8006, congrats. Its finally over. No more worrying and sweating. Don't get lost though, because you still have to check your answers in a month. I WANT TO KNOW THE SCORES!!! Please post up your score, or how many you got wrong in a month. Stay on this site to keep updated!!! I should have a good idea as to when they will start calling off of list 8006.

EASF: Thank you for wishing me luck. Good luck to you as well.

I have never heard of any B/O being sued. The plaintiff wants the MTA to pay. Why? The deep pockets theory. B/O is a broke scmuck (most who have child support payments). MTA = cha-ching. You go after who will pay you the most. We do have union lawyers, but that is for MTA issues (getting your job back, getting back pay, etc....)

Thanks DOB2RTO,just curious,yeah I am broke as well,no deep pockets here. About the unions,is the ALU the strongest?

Chris:I will let you know once I find out my score,good luck on your dispatcher exam....I can picture you studying for it while your on the bus stopped at a red light,haha.

LOCOMOTION: Once again, thank you for wishing me luck. Who knows, I might be your boss one day lol. By the way, the two unions are TWU and ATU. Not ALU. TWU stand for Transit Workers Union. ATU stands for Amalgamated Transit Union. I would have to say TWU is stronger, but in reality, they are noth the same. TWU goes on strike, then ATU goes on strike. They both go to the same union meetings.

Yes LOCO, I am studying my butt off. By the way, I don't need to study while stopped at red lights. I study while I drive. I have a seatbelt, the passengers don't!

LOCOMOTION: Once again, thank you for wishing me luck. Who knows, I might be your boss one day lol. By the way, the two unions are TWU and ATU. Not ALU. TWU stand for Transit Workers Union. ATU stands for Amalgamated Transit Union. I would have to say TWU is stronger, but in reality, they are noth the same. TWU goes on strike, then ATU goes on strike. They both go to the same union meetings.

Yes LOCO, I am studying my butt off. By the way, I don't need to study while stopped at red lights. I study while I drive. I have a seatbelt, the passengers don't!

LOL,Yeah I meant to sat ATU...so that huge steering wheel serves a purpose,to hold and secure your notes or book,lol while you drive. Well unless you wind up in Queens,you won't be ever be my boss,hehe.

I could end up anywhere. There is a waiting list for Staten Island dispatchers. They could easily send me to queens.

Doesn't matter of the list. Fact is two things will happen. They will let you take the exam, and if you pass, hold your name until you meet the minimum requirement. The other is you won't be allowed to take it. Fact is you need 3 years as a B/O to become a Surface dispatcher. You have a good wait to become one. Don't believe me, take a gander at this. This is from the TENS Kiosk: Dispatcher(Surface Transportation):- 3-year minimum in title as a B/O at the time of promotion. Don't want to burst your bubble, but you have to pay your dues as a B/O, before becoming dispatcher. On the NOE, it says same: http://nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloads/pdf/noes/200808512000.pdf

The eligibility to take the exam is one thing. To be promoted is when the 3 years apply. So anyone can take it, but you have to do a minimum of 3 years as a B/O to be promoted to it.

DOB2DOB: LOL thanks man. I knew that already but thanks for looking out.

LADYBUS: 3000? There is NO way you are getting called. Just kidding. How many times are you going to ask the same question? lol Just hang out, chill out, sip a couple of long island ice teas and before you know it, you will get the letter. THEY WILL DEFINATLY GET TO YOUR NUMBER! There is nothing more to say about that. If you are asking for a time frame, I would say before August.

DOB2DOB: LOL thanks man. I knew that already but thanks for looking out.

LADYBUS: 3000? There is NO way you are getting called. Just kidding. How many times are you going to ask the same question? lol Just hang out, chill out, sip a couple of long island ice teas and before you know it, you will get the letter. THEY WILL DEFINATLY GET TO YOUR NUMBER! There is nothing more to say about that. If you are asking for a time frame, I would say before August.

Chris, as the famous dus briver said... You're a regular riot Alice.. (yes that was written on purpose..)

hey, chris thank you for your help I was just wondering I am really lost here my random number for exam no. 2801 is 6620. I got the letter to take the exam on april 29 but they did not send no info on what to study also do you think i will ever get call since my number is on the 6000's i am currently driving a school bus my liscense is clean but do you think i will get call by this year thanks

Yea, yea! let me get some LI ice tea. you right, let me sip on that. im chilling now. LOL. I also took the postal exam for Queens. and i am waiting to take the station agent exam. but I really want the Bus Operator. right now i work in ACS, clerical, and I just want to do something different with more pay. Thanks Chris.

DCARLO: What exam is April 29th? Your list number is in the 6000's, it is extremely high, but yes there is a possibility you will get called. I don't think you will be called by this year. The reason is because your list number is high. I don't want to lie to you. Keep this in mind: they have to call your list before they start calling of off the 8006 list. There is a high chance you will get called, just not by the end of this year.

Remember another thing: I am not the MTA. This is strictly my opinion. Hang in there. The time FLIES. You only filed for that not even a year ago. You eager and enthusiastic, but you will soon learn to enjoy the process. This is the last time you will ever have to worry about getting a job. Once you are on, you have a job for life. They don't lay off like sanitation does.

FDBGUY: everyone has been making the honeymooners references. Thats all I have been hearing.

LADYBUS: Your very close to getting called. You did a great thing by taking the postal exam as well. You kept your options open. Good for you.

I work for the DMV and it took 4 years before they called me, so yea it takes forever to get called for ANY government job.

I just took the 8006 last saturday and it was pretty simple since it is basically the same CDL test I give out.

My salary hits the cap after 7 years and they don't reward you for loyalty to the job. I don't get free lic renewel or reg renewal.

MTA bust drivers make more money than my supervisors!!! I am definitely jumping ship if I get it.

Don't join the USPS. My uncle works for them and he told me they've been cutting back on everything. They have no new supplies, his office no longer give out bins for carriers to sort mail. How stupid is that! And they no longer get overtime. It is all Non-comp overtime like the DMV.

I have a class B permit. Will the MTA train me or will I need to get taining on my own?

I work for the DMV and it took 4 years before they called me, so yea it takes forever to get called for ANY government job.

I just took the 8006 last saturday and it was pretty simple since it is basically the same CDL test I give out.

My salary hits the cap after 7 years and they don't reward you for loyalty to the job. I don't get free lic renewel or reg renewal.

MTA bust drivers make more money than my supervisors!!! I am definitely jumping ship if I get it.

Don't join the USPS. My uncle works for them and he told me they've been cutting back on everything. They have no new supplies, his office no longer give out bins for carriers to sort mail. How stupid is that! And they no longer get overtime. It is all Non-comp overtime like the DMV.

I have a class B permit. Will the MTA train me or will I need to get taining on my own?

MTA trains you, and you will use their bus for the road test. Doesn't cost a thing either (except the usual fees, but this you know, right?).

MTA trains you, and you will use their bus for the road test. Doesn't cost a thing either (except the usual fees, but this you know, right?).

anyone interested there is a free cdl training program located in red hook in bklyn. the program just requirs that you have your reg.license for 2 years and a clean driving history,they also provide a bus for your road test at no charge.i really dont know how this would play into the training that the mta provides i would guess that this would eliminate the dmv road test when your called for the training course that mta provides when you get called and you might just have to pass the mta part of the training,again i dont know im just guessing,also you might need your cdl permit with the p endorsement.they also ask if your employed i would sugest you say no,the program is for 4 weeks ,also they will ask you to bring in a current driving abstract wihich only cost 10 bucks at dmv.the # is 718-4846.good luck to all b/o hopefuls

anyone interested there is a free cdl training program located in red hook in bklyn. the program just requirs that you have your reg.license for 2 years and a clean driving history,they also provide a bus for your road test at no charge.i really dont know how this would play into the training that the mta provides i would guess that this would eliminate the dmv road test when your called for the training course that mta provides when you get called and you might just have to pass the mta part of the training,again i dont know im just guessing,also you might need your cdl permit with the p endorsement.they also ask if your employed i would sugest you say no,the program is for 4 weeks ,also they will ask you to bring in a current driving abstract wihich only cost 10 bucks at dmv.the # is 718-4846.good luck to all b/o hopefuls

That program is called red hook on the road,the driving school that I attended had several of their students from that program. They bumped me a few times on my lesson dates and times to accomadate them. One of them cracked the rearview mirror of the bus and flattened the wheel chock,perhaps on the same day eh? They also ate and drank on the school bus leaving it filthy for the next student.

My advice to those considering getting their cdl class b before getting called in for orientation,go for it. One less test to worry about it. You just have to worry about qualifying during your 10 day training period. Expect to pay btwn $450.00-$850.00 for cdl driving lessons + dmv road test on a school bus.

Archived