Doomsday cuts are here for mtv depot

MTV Operator

the summer schedules have been posted at mtv effective june 27th.

The m1 and m7 are offically mtv lines while the m96 and m104 are going to quill. The 104 only goes to seventh and 42 and terminates.

The m5 is going to the south ferry. Right now there's only 40 runs but as of june 27th there are 58 and the 5 is still limited.

The m10 to 59th st. At only 28 runs ,most runs include at trip on the m7.

The m1 majority of the runs off sat/sun .

The m5 from 178 and bway to the ferry is a 2 hour and ten minute trip.

Most runs on the m2 and m3 have been interlined.

The m18 has been eliminated

UGH!!! Well, I'm not taking the M5 after June 27th. It will be the damn subway!

As for the M2 and M3 being interlined, should have been interlined before but whatever.

The M104 ending at Times Square? Well, I guess that makes the M104 MORE reliable and the M42 more UN-reliable...espaecially east of 7th Av.

The M10 ending at Columbus Circle? UGH!!!

Let the "games" begin!

- I actually think the M104 cutback to 7th is justified... traffic on 42nd has gotten all the more horrid now... you shave at least 15 mins (maybe even 20 during the PM rush) off the route's runtime.... the trade-off (or, should I say, the downside) is, ridership might take a hit, due to the truncation... But I don't see how cutting back the M104 makes the M42 less reliable... If anything, it would make overall service on 42nd less reliable; not exactly the same thing....

- I remember when the M18 went all the way to East village.... now it won't exist, come june 27th... with good reason, IMO....

- yeh, the M10 to Columbus Circle... *smh*

I just hope that route doesn't suffer the same fate the next 15 years (like the M18)

- I don't think any of us can say enough about the M5 extension... 2hrs & 10mins.. good lord.... it's one thing for a suburban route to have a runtime for that duration, but it is quite another for a city route.... All I got to say is, pedestrians better be extra careful crossing riverside dr, b/c I can see b/o's absoluetly flooring it (worse than what some M5 drivers currently do)....

- I don't think any of us can say enough about the M5 extension... 2hrs & 10mins.. good lord.... it's one thing for a suburban route to have a runtime for that duration, but it is quite another for a city route.... All I got to say is, pedestrians better be extra careful crossing riverside dr, b/c I can see b/o's absoluetly flooring it (worse than what some M5 drivers currently do)....

I can....I ain't riding it. If I do, I will be bring my pillow! ;-)

the summer schedules have been posted at mtv effective june 27th.

The m1 and m7 are offically mtv lines while the m96 and m104 are going to quill. The 104 only goes to seventh and 42 and terminates.

The m5 is going to the south ferry. Right now there's only 40 runs but as of june 27th there are 58 and the 5 is still limited.

The m10 to 59th st. At only 28 runs ,most runs include at trip on the m7.

The m1 majority of the runs off sat/sun .

Most runs on the m2 and m3 have been interlined.

The m18 has been eliminated

How many trips would you do on the m5 only, 2 trips now that its 2hours and 10 mins?

- I actually think the M104 cutback to 7th is justified... traffic on 42nd has gotten all the more horrid now... you shave at least 15 mins (maybe even 20 during the PM rush) off the route's runtime.... the trade-off (or, should I say, the downside) is, ridership might take a hit, due to the truncation... But I don't see how cutting back the M104 makes the M42 less reliable... If anything, it would make overall service on 42nd less reliable; not exactly the same thing....

- I remember when the M18 went all the way to East village.... now it won't exist, come june 27th... with good reason, IMO....

- yeh, the M10 to Columbus Circle... *smh*

I just hope that route doesn't suffer the same fate the next 15 years (like the M18)

OK B35 my replies.

1)The M5 should have been shortned with this 'marriage' to the M6 and end it's northern terminal peferably at around 135th/Bway while the M4 would run later into the evening at ending service for day around 1am.

If the B82 is bad now since it merged the former B5/B50 along the Kings Highway coordior in Brooklyn, i can't wait to see this new mega long M5. IMO this is maybe among the worst proposals (IMO along with extending the B57 to Smith/9th (F)(G) station)in these doomsday cuts.

2)On the M10 being shortned again to Columbus Circle i say this. The (MTA) execs 'master plan' imo is to within a decade 'can the M10' as more (A)(C) stations along CPW/Upper Manhattan will finally be ADA accessible.

Still it should still had run to at least 42nd St/PABT since the few times in recent years I riden the M10, always at least '1' wheelchair/disabled rider need to use the wheelchair ramps. Overall i am sure it's not that expensive to maintain the M10 between 59th and 42nd since the M5 will become a nightmare under this new plan.

3)I agree with B35 on the M104 southbound terminal being shortned to the PABT. Still weekdays on select trips only(every 20-30 minutes)until about 10pm, i would have kept the M104 service to the UN and Grand Central since i noticed quite a few riders who say live on the Upper West Side and work at the UN or nearby businesses use it. Also to smaller degree on few times i railfanned the M104, some MNRR riders who work in West Midtown use the M104 to get to offices/businesses between the Columbus Circle area and GCT.

4)The end of the M18 is one of the very few cuts i agree with 100% along with canning the S60 and X25.

Just my takes.

Ouch!!

Maybe swap the M5 and M104 north terminals...

M5: Northbound via Riverside, 135th, to Amsterdam (to serve CCNY). Return via Amsterdam, 133rd, Broadway, 135th, Riverside.

M104: Renumber (M12?) and extend north via Broadway to GW Bridge.

Ouch!!

Maybe swap the M5 and M104 north terminals...

M5: Northbound via Riverside, 135th, to Amsterdam (to serve CCNY). Return via Amsterdam, 133rd, Broadway, 135th, Riverside.

M104: Renumber (M12?) and extend north via Broadway to GW Bridge.

Great idea gotham. :tup:

M5 might not be a big deal.....we have the M 1 that go to Harlem from south ferry and that a long ride....it might just add couple min on the trip on the M 5.

The difference is the M1 has a section of it's along 5th/Madison north of 110th to 148th/Lenox that moves with very little delays most of the time.

The M5 will have traffic almost the entire route 7 days a week except for the portion along Riverside Drive. Even Upper Bway between the GWB and 135th is very busy 7 days a week.

According to the prints posted at mtv the q32 is not listed with the run at quill depot.the m1 has limited trips and terminates at cooper union/8th st. The m5 trip from 178 and bway to the south ferry is 2hrs and ten mins. Southbound and northbound.most runs are 3 round trips.the m42 is a heavy line to begin with and without the 104 it will be even heavier .

M5 might not be a big deal.....we have the M 1 that go to Harlem from south ferry and that a long ride....it might just add couple min on the trip on the M 5.

there's a huge difference...

the M1, north of like 72nd st/Madison, on most days, is smooth sailing.... much like the *current* M6, b/w south ferry & 14th st, heading NB (once it gets past w/e bottlenecking that occurs @ canal st; the holland tunnel traffic...)

the current M6 only has to deal w/ the horrendous traffic, along it's route, really b/w 14th & it's terminal at CPS.... The M5 already deals w/ the often heavy 6th av traffic north of 14th, on up to 72nd/Amsterdam.... then it has to deal w/ broadway traffic, north of 135th st, which is no fun either.....

^^ that's only northbound.... the *new* SOUTHbound M5 is gonna be the killer.... it's gonna have to take on the broadway traffic b/w GWB & 135th, b/w 72nd/Amsterdam & 34th/5th... well, 5th av b/w union sq & 34th st is feast or famine (some days, you can coast along 5th av... some days, bumper to bumper for a mile or so)... and then of course....

BROADWAY - South of 14th st.

....from the midday, on down to around 8pm, forget about it... especially now that the weather is warm, and the tourists (and shoppers) are out in full force... I see it everyday during lunchtime... even the side streets intersecting b'way in greenwich village & soho are all clogged up....

BJC, you're cool people.... but to me, that is one hell of a big deal....

what I just mentioned there, has to be reasons why the projected runtime (as MTV Op' states) of the new route, is around 2hrs & 10 minutes....

I wish I was embellishing that... frankly, probably, so would any MTV b/o that's set to drive along the new M5 route.....

As of yesterday there was a stop on 178 and bway for the 98.don't know about mta removing or changing the stop ,that's a quill bus so I don't really know much about that line. I do know they cut some runs on that line for the summer.

That's regular bus stop.

Currenly 34th St-bound M98 SB Stop near GWB

Ft. Washington Av & 181st St SW

GWB Bus Station & Unloading Zone

W. 178th St & Broadway

Because 178th St/Ft. Washington Av is full with Bx11/Bx13/Bx35/Bx36, maybe M98SB will share M4 SB stop at 179th St?

Archived