MTA chairman Jay Walder bashes union work rules as 'shame of the system'

Harry

MTA chairman Jay Walder is bashing union work rules he says allow workers to play pool or read on the clock, calling them the "shame of the system."

Rules embedded in labor contracts are hampering the Metropolitan Transportation Authority's efforts to increase efficiency - and save money, Walder told the Daily News.

"That has to change," Walder said. "It might mean some of our bus drivers aren't as good at playing pool as they are now, but we might have to bear that cost."

Some bus depots have pool tables in crew rooms for drivers to use on their so-called swing shift, a period of time when drivers receive half-pay but aren't behind the wheel.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/05/10/2010-05-10_drivers_paid_to_play_pool_mta_boss_says_calls_for_shift_in_union_work_rules.html#ixzz0nXHwgaSX

post-1-133288581768_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288581768_thumb.jpg

What a piece of shit. The "shame of the system" is that he gets hundreds of thousands if he is fired, and he gets hundreds of thousands to stay so regardless he gets rich, but at least if he gets fired he can't mess up the system anymore.

He is a real clown. So called "finance driven leaders" like him are the shame of the American economy because people like him and their inept management have created everything we as working people are reaping these days with the economy.

Why have executives salaries gone up 10x that of workers' salaries over the last 25 years? Why suddenly is it the workers' salaries that a problem? Fire one Walder jerk off making 400K a year and you can hire FOUR train operators and FOUR conductors with that money.

Hey Uncle Fester how come you arent even MENTIONING L.I.R.R or Metro North??

With thier insane work Rules?

What a Effing Hypocrite....

Give Satan a chance, he will get to screwing everyone over in due time. Some people are so impatient. You can only destroy one place at a time. lol.

I was thinking the same thing. The big difference is that the riders of the LIRR and MNR actually appreciate the employees that get them to and from work safely and on time everyday. So bad mouthing them in the papers won't do much.

i few weeks ago i read that Walder had mentioned he wanted to get rid of "archaic work rules" and i couldnt figure out what he meant because the only "archaic" rules i know of are how the (MTA) wont let anyone take a day off or be late. this seems a little petty on the part of Walder

MTA chairman Jay Walder is bashing union work rules he says allow workers to play pool or read on the clock, calling them the "shame of the system."

Rules embedded in labor contracts are hampering the Metropolitan Transportation Authority's efforts to increase efficiency - and save money, Walder told the Daily News.

"That has to change," Walder said. "It might mean some of our bus drivers aren't as good at playing pool as they are now, but we might have to bear that cost."

Some bus depots have pool tables in crew rooms for drivers to use on their so-called swing shift, a period of time when drivers receive half-pay but aren't behind the wheel.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/05/10/2010-05-10_drivers_paid_to_play_pool_mta_boss_says_calls_for_shift_in_union_work_rules.html#ixzz0nXHwgaSX

And this is why Walder can go f*ck himself. (w/ a subw---- uhhh.... a 600 foot pole)

I was thinking the same thing. The big difference is that the riders of the LIRR and MNR actually appreciate the employees that get them to and from work safely and on time everyday. So bad mouthing them in the papers won't do much.

What a freaking spaz "Walder". Those people that ride the LIRR and MNRR have no problems with C/R's and Train Engineers making over 100K a year not only because they appreciate their service, it's also because they are making four to five times that amount of money so 100K+ only seems fair to them. The problem we have with the city is the majority of riders are making less than 30k a year so for them hearing salaries in the range of 50-80K sounds like way too much money for TA employees to be making. So they become envious towards NYCT employees and when they read crap like this that walder and his puppet Pete Donohue keep spreading this further and further creates tension between Us and the public.

Walder's a sadistic clown who hopefully will meet karma soon, but the blind coke sniffing whore of a Governor that hired him is worse. Who would've ever thought the chief enemy of the labor movement today would be the Democratic Governor of the State of New York. I'm sick to my stomach....

This is bullsh*t. It's time for Samuelsen to call for rule book slow downs in all Depts. Let's try to put a stop to this nonsense now! If we're gonna go down, at least go down swinging.

He's (Walder) coming for everyone. No Dept is safe. Right now it's Buses and Stations. He'll eventually get to everyone...

Some say he will get to them too, but most MTA heads never did. It's always been NYCTA, especially since we are predominately black (of all kinds of ethnicity), and Hispanic/Latino/Latina. LIRR and MNRR carry many people like Walder (those who make six figures), and in the city, they get limos. Why hasn't he said he does bad, by getting a limo to work everyday, when he can take the train? Who foots his limo bill??????????

I am already adjusted to the fact, that long as NYCTA is mostly minorities, and a non-nepotistic job (for unionized jobs, since one needs to take an exam), we will be subject to this. Of course the union does not bring this out, and say that is why MNRR and LIRR can carry 10times less than we do, but make nearly $7 more per hour, making $100,000 a year, doing 1 trip per day for 5 days. We are the slaves of MTA here at NYCTA, we get paid as such, treated as such, and disciplined as such. Yes, the pay is good, but not worth what we should be getting (we should be on par with MNRR and LIRR regardless of that being a railroad, as a train is a train, we know the same things about trains, and we carry more, and have more time in a train than they do).........

If we had the look of MNRR and LIRR (predominately Caucasian), we would never hear too many cries about a raise. If MTA gets its way and this job becomes resume, very few minorities would get hired, and nepotism will rule here...........

Just telling it, as I see it..........

Some say he will get to them too, but most MTA heads never did. It's always been NYCTA, especially since we are predominately black (of all kinds of ethnicity), and Hispanic/Latino/Latina. LIRR and MNRR carry many people like Walder (those who make six figures), and in the city, they get limos. Why hasn't he said he does bad, by getting a limo to work everyday, when he can take the train? Who foots his limo bill??????????

I am already adjusted to the fact, that long as NYCTA is mostly minorities, and a non-nepotistic job (for unionized jobs, since one needs to take an exam), we will be subject to this. Of course the union does not bring this out, and say that is why MNRR and LIRR can carry 10times less than we do, but make nearly $7 more per hour, making $100,000 a year, doing 1 trip per day for 5 days. We are the slaves of MTA here at NYCTA, we get paid as such, treated as such, and disciplined as such. Yes, the pay is good, but not worth what we should be getting (we should be on par with MNRR and LIRR regardless of that being a railroad, as a train is a train, we know the same things about trains, and we carry more, and have more time in a train than they do).........

If we had the look of MNRR and LIRR (predominately Caucasian), we would never hear too many cries about a raise. If MTA gets its way and this job becomes resume, very few minorities would get hired, and nepotism will rule here...........

Please save the racist card for the Al Sharpton forums. The only way this has to do with race is the fact the union voted racistly for Toussaint so many times and he sold out "his own" with that layoff clause. The MN and LI RR's have much stronger unions that look out for each other, not screwing each other over.

You also cannot compare a conductor in NYCT to the other 2 railroads because they are not in the same league. A conductor mostly just pushes buttons and is a security eye since now most of the announcements are automated. A conductor on the other 2 railroads actually puts trains together, and collects the fare on the train. In reality the conductor there is a station agent AND a conductor AND does part of what a T/O in NYCT transit does in putting a train together. Plus NYCT is a subway, and the other two are real railroads. They are not the same thing in any way other than moving people's asses in a train.

We call it as we see it and if more then one person says it it's usually the truth no one is a racist but i have to agree with DOB2RTO

We call it as we see it and if more then one person says it it's usually the truth no one is a racist but i have to agree with DOB2RTO

More than one person voted for Toussaint. Does that mean it's true he was best for the union? In the words of Dr Phil, how's that workin fer ya? People who are always accusing others of racism usually have a bit of it in themselves. It's easier to throw racism at someone then actually and stop to think that "maybe I failed because of me, and no one else." So no white people are getting screwed in Transit? Only black and Hispanic? Please. You need to get over it. There is no longer any race in this country. The color is no longer black white or brown. It's green. Those who have very little green are all black, and those, regardless of background who have a lot of green are all white. We are in a caste system now. You're poor more often than not you stay poor because the corporations and government keep you down with rules and fees up the ass, while raping you of whatever rights you have left. The rich who control the media make everyone beneath them finacially feel they are different so they fight each other. Save your racism for someone naive enough to believe you. I'm white and my girlfriend is Grenadian black. According to her and many others I see, only a white man can be racist, yet it's ok for anyone not white to say racist things about white men, and that's not racist. It's a load of bs and a bs double standard. I just try talking to her about race as little as possible because of it. The union in transit failed because of views like yours. When the union comes together and sees each other as a transport worker, and not a white, black, hispanic, Indian, Chinese (anyone left out I apologize.) transport worker, maybe it can become a real union. Get over the past. It already happened. Pay attention to the future and unite or no one in transit is going to have a future black or white, or any other color. The union should be striking to fight any layoffs right now, whatever the cost to save the jobs. A union is only strong when everyone sacrifices for the good of the entire union. I don't see that happening here. I just see people crying about race and thinking holy crap. He just lost his job. Better him than me. It should be this way. You want to fire him, you will pay for it 10 times over in a strike or whatever else we can screw you over with. Enough of the racist crap.

And if you are calling it the way you see it, then you need a new prescription for your glasses the way you're seeing it.

We DID that how did that work out?

Maybe you can stay on for more than a few minutes after you post so we can debate this.

he does have a point. i'm white and i'm tired of hearing the race card at work. i was not rich growing up. i struggled like everyone else. my point is instead of crying of race and infighting which (MTA) loves because we hurt ourselves, we need to band together and be the union that the (MTA) fears. there should be no reason s/a's are being laid off. the union should have taken action months ago with rule book slow downs, mass protest's at walders house. the time is now to start banging the (MTA). because if we fall other unions fall. the city is going after the teachers and police unions. we need to set a new standard.

he does have a point. i'm white and i'm tired of hearing the race card at work. i was not rich growing up. i struggled like everyone else. my point is instead of crying of race and infighting which (MTA) loves because we hurt ourselves, we need to band together and be the union that the (MTA) fears. there should be no reason s/a's are being laid off. the union should have taken action months ago with rule book slow downs, mass protest's at walders house. the time is now to start banging the (MTA). because if we fall other unions fall. the city is going after the teachers and police unions. we need to set a new standard.

Im African American and im not saying the poster is wrong we need to stand together as a UNION with this clown here.

Im just saying that "strike" was a joke and all it did was move his carrer forward while pushing us back...

More than one person voted for Toussaint. Does that mean it's true he was best for the union? In the words of Dr Phil, how's that workin fer ya? People who are always accusing others of racism usually have a bit of it in themselves. It's easier to throw racism at someone then actually and stop to think that "maybe I failed because of me, and no one else." So no white people are getting screwed in Transit? Only black and Hispanic? Please. You need to get over it. There is no longer any race in this country. The color is no longer black white or brown. It's green. Those who have very little green are all black, and those, regardless of background who have a lot of green are all white. We are in a caste system now. You're poor more often than not you stay poor because the corporations and government keep you down with rules and fees up the ass, while raping you of whatever rights you have left. The rich who control the media make everyone beneath them finacially feel they are different so they fight each other. Save your racism for someone naive enough to believe you. I'm white and my girlfriend is Grenadian black. According to her and many others I see, only a white man can be racist, yet it's ok for anyone not white to say racist things about white men, and that's not racist. It's a load of bs and a bs double standard. I just try talking to her about race as little as possible because of it. The union in transit failed because of views like yours. When the union comes together and sees each other as a transport worker, and not a white, black, hispanic, Indian, Chinese (anyone left out I apologize.) transport worker, maybe it can become a real union. Get over the past. It already happened. Pay attention to the future and unite or no one in transit is going to have a future black or white, or any other color. The union should be striking to fight any layoffs right now, whatever the cost to save the jobs. A union is only strong when everyone sacrifices for the good of the entire union. I don't see that happening here. I just see people crying about race and thinking holy crap. He just lost his job. Better him than me. It should be this way. You want to fire him, you will pay for it 10 times over in a strike or whatever else we can screw you over with. Enough of the racist crap.

:tup:

If your union was united and upfront with the MTA like the BLET and the UTU, transit workforce wouldn't be in this mess.I'm black and I think throwing the race card is ridiculous.TWU local 100 needs to get its act together.

i agree with everything but the nepotism part.............

everyone can sit in denial all they want, but what is mentioned above is right on the money......................i hear ZERO from people when it comes to what metronorth does, but let it be the ta people here, the first words are we make too much money, blah blah blah..............

TWU is bullshit I know what I know how does it look sending the recording secratary to defend your job when that's the Shop stewards job come and talk to me about unite and as for toussaint he is a basterd child son of a ***** who as curtis sliwa put's it can burn in the asbestos pits of hell after all is said and done he has weakend the union and the effects are still being felt and I never said he was the best thing to happen to the union it's the other way around he was the worst thing to happen to the union

Archived