Best/worst buses?

R10 2952

As of right now, what are currently the best performing buses systemwide (both MTA Bus and NYCT Bus)? Which ones are the worst performing? What makes each group good/bad (maintenance, age, quality, etc.)?

As of right now, what are currently the best performing buses systemwide (both MTA Bus and NYCT Bus)? Which ones are the worst performing? What makes each group good/bad (maintenance, age, quality, etc.)?

A thread like this could only lead to a flame war because too many posters will pump their chests and blast each other because this board is very opionated.

It WILL get personal!

A thread like this could only lead to a flame war because too many posters will pump their chests and blast each other because this board is very opionated.

It WILL get personal!

Yeah, my dislike for the hybrids wouldn't look good typed out on here... Let's just leave this alone...

It WILL get personal!

well, what board isn't very opinionated?

That said, I actually agree w/ your notion... beginning to see traces of it in here already....

It WILL get personal!

And they WILL get banned! I'm not putting up with it anymore. It has calmed down a little, but there is still a little work to be done. And believe me, I have no problem restricting or baning whole "cliques." Several members have been warned. Every user is entitled to his or her own opinion, and I have a zero tolerance for flames and bashing.

This board is starting to turn into Subchat II. There are cliques of members who antagonize people who don't agree with everything they say. I still enjoy posting at NYCTF but this is starting to be an issue.

OMG! Please don't say that! It's gonna get better! I'm working on it! ENY is back in the building, so for those users who don't know me, you will find out how I roll real quick! For the one's who do know me, know that I don't play, and I don't talk. Now back on topic:

Best to worst: (IMO only)

LFSA*

MCI

O7

RTS

O5

C40

D60

DL

For me, the best to worst is:

MCI- Comfortable, excellent ride

RTS- Great A/C, smooth ride

O7 OG/NG Nice and quiet, but gets crowded fast, awesome A/C

C40- Even though these are small on the interior, I love the engine!

O5- They have lots of room, I don't don't like the A/C that much. I guess it's just been SI's Orion Vs that we've had for so long.

LFSA- I don't really like these as much as I thought I would. After riding them on the M15, I would rather get a D60.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

for Me its

05/cng

07og

Rts

MCI

07NG

07CNG

yet to ride and don't know

LFS

LFSA

DL

Best: Orion 5

Worst: Orion 7

IMO, if they were still here...GMC New Look FTW.

Orion V CNG (1995), the ones that JG maintain are the best, better then their relative Orion V diesel that rot in Eastchester.

Orion VII CNG w/ DD50G... bloated crap from the start and it is still is today.

Best

Orion 5 diesel/CNG: They take the lead in my book! Either one, CNG or diesel, they both rock!

RTS: The stronghold of the bus fleet. I wish the MTA kept the CNG models for a little while longer though...I remember riding them on the B103 at least once.

Orion 7 OG: I consider its successor a downgrade. That said, I like the OG O7s.

LFS/A: Excellent design, sound and how it runs gets me going (PG peoples!)

MCI: Okay buses but it was stupid for the MTA to order more of them when they had RTS/O5s that still had life in them and could have used those for express use instead.

Worst

Orion 7 NG: UGLIEST piece of crap I've ever seen in my life!!!

New Flyer Artics: They run good but I don't like the way they look.

In my opinion...

Best: :tup:

NovaBus LFSA - The exterior looks nice but the interior standing arrangement looks like it was organized by a toddler. It also runs smooth and quiet. Also it has 3 doors for easy entering and exiting which decreases idle time on a bus stop.

Orion V Diesel - Interior and Exterior is simple and comfortable. Does not run smooth and is typically loud. Interior panels shake even on smooth roads.

Worst: :tdown:

Orion VII NG - Exterior is nice but gets crowded too fast. The acceleration jerks and buckles which could make people easily fall as I seen before. Otherwise it runs smooth and quiet.

i like all buses except New Flyer Articulated 1000-1109 series. those buses need to retire asap!

I see that they parked quite a few in the graveyard in Eastchester.:tdown:

Best to Worst

MCI Hey I'm a motorcoach guy,I love MCI equipment. They hit a home run with the DL series and kept up the good work with the D4000/D4500 series.

O5 Classic good looking buses. By the time I have a shot at a job at the MTA they will be gone.:cry:

RTS The iconic (MTA) bus. Loved driving them at CTTransit New Britian,only reason I'm rating them lower than the O5 is that if you're 6'3 they are not the most comfortable buses.

D60HF New Flyer took great buses,added 20 feet and made them better. Well they could have given them a little bit more power. Props to the B/Os who drive them in the most congested city in the US. You deserve at least 5 bucks more a hour to drive a Artic.I would PAY the (MTA) just for the chance to drive one on the Bx12. Again most will be gone before I have a shot to drive them.:tdown:

O7 OG/NG I rate the NG slightly higher than the OG strictly on looks alone. I'm not a hybrid lover,plus I think all that crap on top makes the buses look fugly. Plus the OG looks like they made it outta parts they had hanging around,but both get the job done.

LFSA Definitely taking the most ugly bus award from the O7 OG.But they are new and I'm looking forward to taking my first ride in one pretty soon.

CNG O5/O7/40LFs Not a fan of driving or riding a potential rolling disaster. Its irrational yes,but just my opinion

Imo......

Best

-MCI: I love motorcoaches, and these buses are the business (Especially the 3000s)!

-RTS: I will truly be sad to see these babies go. I literally grew up with them, and they offer a great ride quality. Plus they all have personality, a huge bonus for me.

-EX DOT Orion 5 CNGs: The ride quality and sound effects are the best on these.

-C40LF: These buses prove to me that a bus manufacturer can build a good low floor bus (take notes Orion).

Notable mention

-Nova LFSA: I really like these buses, but I also like a quality bus. No offense to Nova, but I'm waiting to see if they'll hold up against the abuse that is New York City.

Worst

-(MTA)Orion 5 diesels: The reason I specify (MTA) (and not ex Bee-Line) is because the ones we own have been beat to crap, and not because I have a thing against Orion 5s in general.

-Orion 7 OG: Orion couldn't have built anything more blander than these Kleenex boxes on wheels.

-Orion 7 NG: The only good thing about them is that they look better than their older counterparts. Otherwise, these are the worst things to have ever graced the streets of New York City. The suspension's god awful

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

Best

Orion V: these buses sure do take a beating and are still holding up. Plus they come in both diesel & CNG varieties.

RTS: the iconic bus of the (MTA). This model is pushing 20 yrs old and still going strong. It went through body redesigns, defferent engine/transmission combos, and went through 3 different fuel packages (diesel, CNG & hybrid). But alas, all good things must come to an end.

LFSA: just breaking into the (MTA) and already proving it can handle what the streets of NYC can dish out. The 62' model literally reinvented the articulated bus with the inroduction of the 3-door bus to the (MTA)

Best

Orion V: these buses sure do take a beating and are still holding up. Plus they come in both diesel & CNG varieties.

RTS: the iconic bus of the (MTA). This model is pushing 20 yrs old and still going strong. It went through body redesigns, defferent engine/transmission combos, and went through 3 different fuel packages (diesel, CNG & hybrid). But alas, all good things must come to an end.

LFSA: just breaking into the (MTA) and already proving it can handle what the streets of NYC can dish out. The 62' model literally reinvented the articulated bus with the inroduction of the 3-door bus to the (MTA)

orion 5s look fun as hell to drive lol

Archived