More R46s on the F lately?

firstmccmatt

Hi all,

I'm a long-time reader of the forums, but just started posting. I don't know if this has been talked about, but I can't find a recent thread about it, so I thought I would ask.

Are there more R46 train sets on the (F) lately? I know the MTA has been switching them out for the R160 for sometime on the (F) line, but it seems like there are suddenly more sets of the R46 these last 3 or 4 weeks. I ride the (F) daily, and normally I would catch an R46 about once a month... R160s the rest of the time. Over the last few weeks, though, I've caught the R46 about 5 or 6 times and noticed more R46 (F) trains on the tracks as I'm riding.

Hi all,

I'm a long-time reader of the forums, but just started posting. I don't know if this has been talked about, but I can't find a recent thread about it, so I thought I would ask.

Are there more R46 train sets on the (F) lately? I know the MTA has been switching them out for the R160 for sometime on the (F) line, but it seems like there are suddenly more sets of the R46 these last 3 or 4 weeks. I ride the (F) daily, and normally I would catch an R46 about once a month... R160s the rest of the time. Over the last few weeks, though, I've caught the R46 about 5 or 6 times and noticed more R46 (F) trains on the tracks as I'm riding.

Im loving it, The More R46's the better, More R160's are on the (V), Atleast 6-7 trainsets and 3 more added on the (R).

R46s have become more common on the (F) in recent weeks. Those R160s went to the (R) and (V), while the R46s on those lines came back to the (F).

Plus Numerous R160's are being vandalized when layed up on the (F) line (Between Van-Wyck and 169), That might be another reason, But they have been shifting trains around.

Plus Numerous R160's are being vandalized when layed up on the (F) line (Between Van-Wyck and 169), That might be another reason, But they have been shifting trains around.

So does that mean the move to bring the R46s back to the F is a long-term plan or just temporary? I mean, I know it's all temporary in the long run, and all the R46s will be replaced by R160s eventually, right? I'm just a R160 fan and enjoy riding them to work every day. My favorite trains have to be the newest (R160) and the oldest (R32) active sets. Luckily, I ride the (C) and (F) most of the time, so I'm in luck. :)

thats not the reason, even though the R160's get vandalized on the (F) more than any jamaica line, they arent just going to swap trains for that reason. R46's get vandalized too.

The (M) will replace it, with it's own pool of 160's the other lines can't use, so the 160's on the (V) will go back to those other lines.

Why can't the other lines use the R160s from the (M)? I assume it has something to do with the trains being in sets of 4 cars instead of 5 like the other lines?

Guest lance25

Any line can use the 4-car R160A1s but Eastern Division ((J),(M2) (soon to be (M)), and (Z)) can't use 5-car R160A2s or R160Bs because 10 cars at 60 feet each won't fit through the curves on the Jamaica line.

Any line can use the 4-car R160A1s but Eastern Division ((J),(M2) (soon to be (M)), and (Z)) can't use 5-car R160A2s or R160Bs because 10 cars at 60 feet each won't fit through the curves on the Jamaica line.

No, it cant use 5 car sets because the platforms are too short

The curves are the reason 75 footers can't run on the (J)(M)(Z)

Yes, the trains from the (W) would go to the (N) - local and (Q) - to Astoria.

The R46 trains from the (V) would eventually go to the (A) and the (M) with its R160s no longer going to southern Brooklyn will take over the (V).

With that, the (F) might be close to 100% with R160s, they should put those R46s over to the (F).

They've been fine on the (F) for years now. It's the (E) that can't handle 75' cars.

They may as well just make Broadway 60-75% R160s.

The (E) can handle them.More seats for the passengers.If I was an (E) rider I would be pleased.

Yes, the trains from the (W) would go to the (N) - local and (Q) - to Astoria.

The R46 trains from the (V) would eventually go to the (A) and the (M) with its R160s no longer going to southern Brooklyn will take over the (V).

And there will be extra trains from that.The (N) only needs an extra 2-4 train sets and the (Q) needs about 3-6 more.It would be funny if one of these extra sets run on the (D) or (:P or even get transferred to Jamaica or Pitkin.

Archived