R179 contract annoucement (w/ concrete proof)

w8Hou

No, this is not another guessing game or making up sh!t or spreading false posts about R179.

Right now, this post has real facts and a lot of questionable answers on R179....

MTA has release some contract info on NY Post legal notice in Thursday edition (6-3-2010).

There is a thread on it on Subchat:http://www.subchat.com/read.asp?Id=940065

Someone scan it for proof: http://www.subchat.com/read.asp?Id=940390

cosd3.png

So take a real close look, you people.

Now, let the speculation on the R179 order begin once again...

So it's 250 five-car trains and 40 four-car trains. The four-car sets are a no brained, but I can only wonder where the five-car sets will go...maybe the (A)/©??? Only time will tell.

So it's 250 five-car trains and 40 four-car trains. The four-car sets are a no brained, but I can only wonder where the five-car sets will go...maybe the (A)/©??? Only time will tell.

What, you think SIRT for the four car sets?

HOLY DAMN! about time...

I think the 4 car sets will go towards replacing eastern division stock, since it has been established that the SIR isn't getting anything new just yet...

That's still going to be a lot of cars left over, plus the contract doesn't say how long the four cars will be (although 60 feet sounds like a safe guess). The contract isn't to be awarded for another five months anyway.

HOLY DAMN! about time...

I think the 4 car sets will go towards replacing eastern division stock, since it has been established that the SIR isn't getting anything new just yet...

But if the R179s aren't replacing the S44s, then either the R46s will go on the line or the MTA will wait for the R197 (or w/e the next B Div order is) to go to SI. In that time, the 44s will probably fall apart.

What, you think SIRT for the four car sets?

Um, no...Eastern Division (hence FOUR car sets). If an order were to be placed for Staten Island it'd have to be five car sets since 75' cars are well out of the picture.

looks like we are getting more fixed sets

I really hope they change their minds about that. Do we really need more fixed consists that have to be taken out of service if just one car has a problem and that can't be adapted to varying ridership patterns? Why?

This is great so these may retire the 42's and the rest of the 44's.These are not enough for the entire 32 fleet.And these better be good cars.All you R160 haters if you hate them you better hope these are way better(seats,propulsion).That's why I say over and over some will regret the 44's being gone.

This is great so these may retire the 42's and the rest of the 44's.These are not enough for the entire 32 fleet.And these better be good cars.All you R160 haters if you hate them you better hope these are way better(seats,propulsion).That's why I say over and over some will regret the 44's being gone.

It is enough to wipeout the R32 and the remaining R42 cars in approximately 2 to 3 years when the R179 ( {R160 "option order III"} lol) comes by.

I really hope they change their minds about that. Do we really need more fixed consists that have to be taken out of service if just one car has a problem and that can't be adapted to varying ridership patterns? Why?

I do understand your concerns about the fixed car set issues. The R143 should've been compatible with the R160s as the MTA initially intended. I just don't understand what changed during the building process. Then they could've ordered an r160 car to act as a replacement for the damaged set at Canarsie yard rather than to leave now 3 'orphans'.

But i do think fixed sets are good in the sense they are more reliable and don't require as many parts to maintain if linked up. This compared to individual cars [like the R62As on the 7 and even those should be linked when they are sent back to the 4 or 6].

I still think they should just tack on a 160S (Supplement) for ENY, and I would think that just getting the 24 cars to fill it out to 9998 would be enough.

Just like the 160's were supposed to be compatible with the 143's, but aren't, so now they're going to add another new, small fleet to ENY that will turn out to be incompatible?

(This basically implies that they don't plan to reverse the (M) "service cut" that necessitated the extra car need in the first place).

I do understand your concerns about the fixed car set issues. The R143 should've been compatible with the R160s as the MTA initially intended. I just don't understand what changed during the building process. Then they could've ordered an r160 car to act as a replacement for the damaged set at Canarsie yard rather than to leave now 3 'orphans'.

But i do think fixed sets are good in the sense they are more reliable and don't require as many parts to maintain if linked up. This compared to individual cars [like the R62As on the 7 and even those should be linked when they are sent back to the 4 or 6].

Exactly. Why aren't newer classes of cars capable of running with the older ones if they are of the same technology? I can understand not running R32s with R160s. But come on, R143s should definitely be capable of running with R160s. Look at Chicago and Washington. It's only when they move on to brand new technology that they buy cars that aren't capable of running with their predecessors (like CTA's new 5000-series and WMATA's new 7000 series). Strangely enough, CTA had no problem specifying their new cars as married pairs, so I can't see why the (MTA) can't do married pairs. Oddly enough, they don't seem to have a problem doing it for the railroads.

I don't know if fixed multi-car sets are necessarily more reliable than pairs. Look how well the R32s have held up. Were they maintained better over the years, who knows how long they'd last?

Thanks for the info.

This is going to be like the R160 order.

As for where they are going, the 4 car sets are definitely heading to ENY to knock out the remaining R42s there. 40 cars for it - 5 trains. The 5 car sets would most likely be destined for JAM, which should bump 200 R46s to PITK. It is said that these will bump out the remaining SMEEs.

Archived