Prepared for September: 28 weekend shutdowns (til 2012) on (1) line

w8Hou

New York Post is reporting....

'(1)' big subway pain

Riders on the No. (1) line in Inwood and The Bronx will soon be derailed by a massive reconstruction project.

Beginning in September, the MTA will begin a $45 million wholesale renovation of the Dyckman Street station, resulting in 28 weekend shutdowns of the line from Dyckman to 242nd Street over the next two years.

During the closures, riders will have to take shuttle buses to the (A) line's 207th Street station.

Also, the crumbling northbound platform will be out of service for replacement from September until June 2011 and the southbound platform from July 2011 to August 2012.

During those periods, riders will have to double back to reach the station.

link: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/bronx/big_subway_pain_WsGakML3Wa0TMy2lovIrXM?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=/#ixzz0sfbr3UEa

If they're gonna shut down the line from Dyckman to 242nd st they might as well rehab ALL of those stations. Not just one.

It's an unrealistic idea. (MTA) can't rehab all of those stations at once. Consider Dyckman a starting point. The second both sides of Dyckman is done, then (MTA) can fix up the stations between 207 to 238 one direction at a time, since the (1) can use the express track.

It's an unrealistic idea. (MTA) can't rehab all of those stations at once. Consider Dyckman a starting point. The second both sides of Dyckman is done, then (MTA) can fix up the stations between 207 to 238 one direction at a time, since the (1) can use the express track.

Agreed. It's about time the elevated (1) stations get attention.

Any talk of making it ADA, anyone?

Fair enough its just that I recall the Rockaway rehabilitation project and they were doing 2 - 3 stations at a time. But I get your point.

It can be done,it's gonna take 2 years to complete those projects. and it's better then fixing them one at a time.

Like the big fat cop in the original Taking of Pelham One Two Three once said, "Well, it's about f***ing time". I've gone by Dyckman-200th Street on the (1) so many times, and every time, the station has seemed to get worse and worse. The concrete is all cracked, parts of the platform are crumbling, and the edge of the northbound platform is propped up by stilts (literally; take a look and you'll see an intricate framework of wooden two-by-fours under the northbound platform). While they're at it, maybe they could also renovate 168th, 181st, 207th, and 238th.

I go to Dyckman pretty often since some of my relatives are there. Man, that station is like messed up, and I don't mean that its ill or anything, like it is just on the verge of breaking down. It's good to see that they are going to rehab the (1) now and hopefully in our lifetimes, the MTA will be with the times of with their subway system.

Archived