The Original Test Fleet Discussion

East New York

Is there an approximate year the MTA is giving for the retirement of the 1998-1999 (6000-6349) Orion 5s?

2012-2013 is the likely time frame, as they will keep them for up to 14 years. I'm assuming 6000 will stick around for the long haul. Possibly as a museum bus.

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still trying to imagine what will happen when they retire the buses from 2000. Orion VII NG CNGs on O5 exclusive runs like the N43? Dear God, no....

The one time I did ride an O7 on the N43, I remember because that bus operator sneered at me when that farebox said my MetroCard was empty. Ass.

Let’s take a look at the entire fleet for a minute. What we are going to do here is discuss what is going to be going on within MTA over the next 4 years. Enjoy! (MTA)

NOTE: Unless stated otherwise, Long Island Bus is not included in any of these plans or figures.

Between now and 2014, MTA will likely take delivery of 2,375 new buses. Of which… 1,222 will be standard 40 footers

746 will be 60 foot artics

407 are 45 foot express buses.

Here is a breakdown of a big chunk of these future orders, and what coaches they are likely to replace. All orders are pending, as these buses have yet to be delivered.

Late 2011- Early 2012: Approximately 160-200 buses need to be replaced. These include, but are not limited to:

84 101-184 series ex-Bee Line Orion V diesels

35 6XX series Orion V diesels.

40 1000-1109 series artics

35 59XX series Orion V’s

57 800-856 series New Flyer C40LFs

*Excellerate retirement of about 250-300 of the1996 8750-9349 series RTS

Here’s what we got coming in that I know of.

At least 775 40 foot buses from Designline, New Flyer, Nova, and Orion.

(1) We have the New Flyer CNG Order for 475 buses. This is a scenario that would give each depot what it needs. It would also make sense for MTA to hold on to 857-989 for a little while longer. Till 2013 maybe?

College Point: 152

Jackie Gleason: 273 (pushing 58 OGs out to WF, and possibly CP, as well as retiring the 1998, and 1999 New Flyers.)

Spring Creek Depots: 50 (retiring 25 Orion V CNG’s, and sending 25 OGs to MTAB)

West Farms: 0

(2) 300 Buses (360 if MTA accepts delivery of all 90 DesignLines) total from all 4 of the above manufacturers: My guess is as good as any on this one, but I would say they will likely go to Casey Stengel, East New York, Fresh Pond, Grand Avenue, Manhattanville, Michael J. Quill, Queensvillage, and/or Ulmer Park depots.

(3) 118 Articulated buses are needed for 4 new SBS projects, and 72 are needed for MTA Bus Company’s Baisley Park, and JFK depots, which will be modified to handle the new buses. There are also a minimum of 40 buses needed to replace earlier models.

(4) 160-180 Express Buses will need to be replace by early 2012.

Depots 2010-2014:

1.) 126th Street, and Jamaica will be completely rebuilt.

2.) College Point and Spring Creek will have their CNG systems upgraded. A new elevator will also be installed at CP.

3.) A new “green roof” will be built on top of Far Rockaway.

3.) Mother Clara Hale will reopen.

4.) Baisley Park, Charleston, Flatbush, Grand Avenue, Jamaica, and JFK will support artics.

Other notes: Priority repairs, rehabs, and upgrades will also take place at several depots. The entire bus radio system will be replaced, with Smart/GPS units most likely. And the initial deployment of bus lane enforcement cameras will roll out.

Lol! Where have you been?

Well, back in 2002-2003, MTA placed an order for 65 NF D60HF's to be delivered in 2004. New Flyer subsequently discontinued their line of High Floor buses, and attemped to get MTA to convert the order to the LF model. MTA did not want the low floor at all, but NF continued to negotiate. MTA agreed to later test a D60LF. The bus failed, and MTA sued New Flyer in order to either have them build the buses originally specified in the terms of the contract, or return the money. As you know, we never did get buses 5770-5834. Anyone still want to know why MTA has the option of choosing the C40LF or LFR? Because they can pretty much get whatever they want now that they are doing business with each other again.

Well also New Flyer just stopped building the LF model this year and still has the molds for the old front and rear ends and other things needed to make the LF model so therefore offer MTA this option with out pushing the LFR design on them and creating another D60HF problem. Makes since for New Flyer to work with MTA with the amount of buses that needs to be replaced over the next 5 years. It would be dumb not too, also with Nova bus going back into the US market.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DMD64) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

S79 and the M16/M34 crosstown?

Not the M16/M34. They're getting a variant of it on the 34 St corridor where they're trying to make it a bus-only corridor

i think it would be nice to have NABI 60' BRT CNG Articulated Buses like the ones at DC Metro

http://www.ttmg.org/photos/tlogan/WMATA_NABI_5415.jpg

all credit goes to Trevor Logan Jr. for this photo

IMO, that is the ugliest bus available! I DO NOT like BRT styled buses. Now the New Flyer XDE40, and Orion VII 3G aren't bad at all. But as far as all the rest... No! The LFS/A has grown on me a lot. I really like them now, but at one time I couldn't stand the site of them.

Right. I forgot about the S79. But not sure about the M16/34. Ridership doesn't seem high enough for that line.

Ridership is high during rush hours and even on weekends. they want to cut down the boarding time and traffic time all in one place.

Ridership is high during rush hours and even on weekends. they want to cut down the boarding time and traffic time all in one place.

I would say a very modest increase in rush hour frequency maybe, but I don't think SBS or even artics for that matter are needed on a route that has a run time of 30 minutes. The two routes combined serve about 31,000 riders per week. Or if they did employ SBS, the 40 footers should continue to run on the line.

I would say a very modest increase in rush hour frequency maybe, but I don't think SBS or even artics for that matter are needed on a route that has a run time of 30 minutes. The two routes combined serve about 31,000 riders per week. Or if they did employ SBS, the 40 footers should continue to run on the line.

Whether or not using the artics on the M34 SBS is not really the issue, 40 footers are fine. They want to eliminate the dwell time when getting on the bus and speed up the traffic. 34 Street is very heavily pedestrian and congestion area from river to river, it doesnt matter if they want to boost the service. Its the travel time need to be cut considerably and probably people wont crack jokes that a human being can walk faster than a crosstown bus route with the traffic involved.

Whether or not using the artics on the M34 SBS is not really the issue, 40 footers are fine. They want to eliminate the dwell time when getting on the bus and speed up the traffic. 34 Street is very heavily pedestrian and congestion area from river to river, it doesnt matter if they want to boost the service. Its the travel time need to be cut considerably and probably people wont crack jokes that a human being can walk faster than a crosstown bus route with the traffic involved.

You do have a point there. The dwell times would be reduced if they has an SBS on the line. While we're at it, that wouldn't be a bad idea for the majority of the crosstown lines. That being said, maybe 34th and 42nd streets should be 100% SBS.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DMD64) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

I can vouch for that one. At 34 St & 1 Av heading westbound is one of the main choke points. If you stand at that bus stop at about 4 pm, the line would sometimes stretch around the corner. The main entrance/exit of the Queens Midtown Tunnel is there plus most of the NYU medical buildings are around there. The buses there bunch up and sometimes you would find a M34 and 2 M16's there just to get in that stop. Going across town in the same direction, the buses literally crawl from 3 Av to Herald Sq. Sometimes you can walk faster than the buses

• 3 weeks later...

The NovaBus LFS order is now officially on its way. Here's the proof of the 90-bus NovaBUS LFS order:

http://mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/101025_1045_BUS.pdf

Page 48 or 50

From the looks of things, 60 of these buses will feature the Allision transmission, while 15 will feature the ZF transmission and the remaining 15 will have an electric motor.

Delivery to begin February 2011 and lasting until June 2011.

... and the remaining 15 will have an electric motor (Hybrid most likely).

Read it carefully:

15 buses will substitute an electric engine cooling system and LED headlights for the standard hydraulic engine cooling system and standard sealed beam headlights.

Description:

Purchase of 90 low floor 40-foot clean diesel buses

It never says or any throughout the section on the document of electric hybrid.

Archived