If all NYC bus depots were destroyed and had to be rebuilt...

NX Express

where would you build them?

To start:

Staten Island

Victory Depot at Clove Road & Victory Blvd. to service Port Richmond Terminal and St. George Terminal bus routes.

Eltingville Transit Center Depot at Eltingville Transit Center, to service SI Mall and Eltingville Transit Center routes.

Brooklyn

Fort Hamilton Depot at Poly Place and 7 Avenue, to service the Bay Ridge bus hub

Coney Island Depot on MTA property at/near Coney Island Yard, to service the Coney Island bus hub, as well as the routes in the very-southern area of Brooklyn

Kings Plaza Depot in the empty lot shown on the Google Map at the end of this post, to service Kings Plaza and Flatlands-area routes

Canarsie Depot on Canarsie Yard property, to service the Canarsie and Gateway Center bus hubs

Obviously just a partial list...anyone else's ideas?

Note: please do not quote the Google Map.

[GMAPS]<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=ave+u+%26+e+36+st,+brooklyn,+ny&sll=40.604488,-73.924921&sspn=0.009156,0.013797&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Avenue+U+%26+E+36th+St,+Brooklyn,+Kings,+New+York+11234&t=h&ll=40.603429,-73.926873&spn=0.011404,0.018239&z=15&iwloc=A&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=embed&hl=en&geocode=&q=ave+u+%26+e+36+st,+brooklyn,+ny&sll=40.604488,-73.924921&sspn=0.009156,0.013797&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Avenue+U+%26+E+36th+St,+Brooklyn,+Kings,+New+York+11234&t=h&ll=40.603429,-73.926873&spn=0.011404,0.018239&z=15&iwloc=A" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>[/GMAPS]

I wonder if it is worth it to double deck a depot? Like to strengthen the roof to store the buses on the top.

As for Marine Park, I would demolish the whole area and have the grid system in place where Av M-R all connect to each other b/w Gerretson and Flatbush Av. Right now everything is aligned up with Gerretson and Flatbush creating odd connections like Av R to Av O at Flatbush Av.

Build a depot in the current location of Yukon Avenue by the mall (called Yukon Avenue Depot), build a depot by St. George Ferry Terminal (Saint George Depot), and last but not least, CHARLESTON!!!

By building a depot at Saint George it's easier for B/Os to report and start work immediately instead of the long deadhead from Castleton (the S40/42/46/48/51/66/76 have to make that deadhead, and it's roughly 15-20 minutes). As for the S53, I'd base it out of Ulmer Park. I'd love to see RTS' in Staten Island again!!!

Build a depot in the current location of Yukon Avenue by the mall (called Yukon Avenue Depot), build a depot by St. George Ferry Terminal (Saint George Depot), and last but not least, CHARLESTON!!!

Love the idea but theoretically, it cant happen.

By building a depot at Saint George it's easier for B/Os to report and start work immediately instead of the long deadhead from Castleton (the S40/42/46/48/51/66/76 have to make that deadhead, and it's roughly 15-20 minutes). As for the S53, I'd base it out of Ulmer Park. I'd love to see RTS' in Staten Island again!!!

I'm clueless about the SI depot locations, but unless there's a depot next to the VZ, I think there should be one there just for the express buses so that if they must deadhead, they don't need to go all the way into the heart of SI to later return back to Manhattan for the Pm rush.

I wonder if it is worth it to double deck a depot? Like to strengthen the roof to store the buses on the top.

As for Marine Park, I would demolish the whole area and have the grid system in place where Av M-R all connect to each other b/w Gerretson and Flatbush Av. Right now everything is aligned up with Gerretson and Flatbush creating odd connections like Av R to Av O at Flatbush Av.

Worth it to double deck??? Definitely!! Grand Avenue, Quill, and 100 Street are built like that! IIRC, Hudson Pier was as well. Can you imaging driving artics through a parking structure??

I wonder: how wide does the 'spiral' need to be to get from the bottom to the top? I don't see the current 'street grid' as being wide enough unless they were to build over the street and take up another block. The other option would be a giant bus elevator to the top.

But I do think if they were to park buses on the roof, it would be a more efficient use of space.

hell, I'm bored... I'll play along...

In Brooklyn:

- DUMBO depot...

(just for kicks, the logo can be of an elephant squashing a O7 cng...lol...)

it would be situated/structured similar to the old Hudson Pier depot.....

locate it over there on adams/john, just to the right of the manhattan bridge...

for starters, any current JG route that ventures downtown, would run out of here instead...

- Sheepshead depot...

locate it over on Knapp (NB side), just south of voorhies...

this, along with spring creek, would house brooklyn's express routes...and most of UP's & flatbush's routes

* since some routes would move out of JG, to dumbo...

some of UP's routes can move over to JG... it would still house less routes than what it currently does....

- gleason, spring creek, & ENY would remain where they're currently located....

(although spring creek would be expanded; to taking up more sq. feet than what it currently does)

- flatbush & ulmer park would be defunct

I know this is all unorganized & jumbled... kinda groggy right now...

any confusion or questions, I'll get on em later....

feel free to comment on any of this btw...

I would rebuild Mr. Jackie Gleason depot where it currently is and in Staten Island, I would build a new Port Richmond Depot.

Castleton Depot is right next to Port Richmond!

A is Castleton Depot, and B is Port Richmond Terminal.

[GMAPS]<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=1390+Castleton+Avenue,+Staten+Island,+NY+10310&daddr=port+richmond+av+%26+richmond+terrace,+staten+island,+ny&geocode=FYICbAIdiOGU-ylpnJO63k3CiTF3q6kdvlfvKw%3BFXYfbAIdoteU-ymJPtPm5k3CiTF0ml-MQzvf-A&hl=en&mra=ls&sll=40.634766,-74.129133&sspn=0.018987,0.027595&ie=UTF8&ll=40.63701,-74.13011&spn=0.00678,0.00288&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=embed&saddr=1390+Castleton+Avenue,+Staten+Island,+NY+10310&daddr=port+richmond+av+%26+richmond+terrace,+staten+island,+ny&geocode=FYICbAIdiOGU-ylpnJO63k3CiTF3q6kdvlfvKw%3BFXYfbAIdoteU-ymJPtPm5k3CiTF0ml-MQzvf-A&hl=en&mra=ls&sll=40.634766,-74.129133&sspn=0.018987,0.027595&ie=UTF8&ll=40.63701,-74.13011&spn=0.00678,0.00288" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>[/GMAPS]

Castleton Depot is right next to Port Richmond!

I would tear down Castleton as well. Along with LaGuardia, Jamaica, 126 Street, Spring Creek, Baisley Park, and Gleason. But I would want them all to be rebuilt where they are. Maybe Casleton, and Jamaica could be relocated though. I would also rehab Flatbush, Ulmer Park, JFK, and Far Rockaway.

I think they should reconnect Av O. So what they should do is knock down the building segment obstructing that road and then extend the building on top of Fillmore [basically ending that road at Utica]. That restaurant could be relocated to the southern end of that triangle since the Shell station closed up years ago.

On the Staten Island bus map, it says there is a "bus shelter at Borough Pl/Nick Laporte Place". Anyone know what this is for?

It's just a small place where people and mostly kids from Curtis and Mckee high schools wait for the buses that leave the ferry.

I never really saw a point in using it (for my own purposes). When I'm in that area (usually coming from the St George Library or from further down Bay Street), I usually use the stops inside the terminal, since the limited-stop buses don't stop there, if I recall correctly. Sometimes buses bypass that stop (or the one for the (S40)/(S44) on Richmond Terrace), since it is right next to the ferry.

Really ? Is it that slow in your life that this is all you have to do? If they were all destroyed? really Cmon guy stop with the stupidity!

where would you build them?

To start:

Staten Island

Victory Depot at Clove Road & Victory Blvd. to service Port Richmond Terminal and St. George Terminal bus routes.

Eltingville Transit Center Depot at Eltingville Transit Center, to service SI Mall and Eltingville Transit Center routes.

Brooklyn

Fort Hamilton Depot at Poly Place and 7 Avenue, to service the Bay Ridge bus hub

Coney Island Depot on MTA property at/near Coney Island Yard, to service the Coney Island bus hub, as well as the routes in the very-southern area of Brooklyn

Kings Plaza Depot in the empty lot shown on the Google Map at the end of this post, to service Kings Plaza and Flatlands-area routes

Canarsie Depot on Canarsie Yard property, to service the Canarsie and Gateway Center bus hubs

Obviously just a partial list...anyone else's ideas?

Note: please do not quote the Google Map.

[GMAPS]<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=ave+u+%26+e+36+st,+brooklyn,+ny&sll=40.604488,-73.924921&sspn=0.009156,0.013797&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Avenue+U+%26+E+36th+St,+Brooklyn,+Kings,+New+York+11234&t=h&ll=40.603429,-73.926873&spn=0.011404,0.018239&z=15&iwloc=A&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=embed&hl=en&geocode=&q=ave+u+%26+e+36+st,+brooklyn,+ny&sll=40.604488,-73.924921&sspn=0.009156,0.013797&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Avenue+U+%26+E+36th+St,+Brooklyn,+Kings,+New+York+11234&t=h&ll=40.603429,-73.926873&spn=0.011404,0.018239&z=15&iwloc=A" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>[/GMAPS]

I would rebuilt Baisley Park Depot as well as Jamaica

I would built a New Depot called the Valley Stream Depot, Get rid of Rockville Centre Depot, The new depot would be right next to green acers mall, It would have the Q5(split JAM),Q85,Q111(split with BP),N1,N2,N4,N8,N15(split MF),N16(spilt MF),N19,N25,N31,N32,QM21,X63 and X64.

The New Depot would be a CNG and Hybird depot along with RTS and MCI's for the Express routes, It would be cool to have a depot like this.

I would also built an All Hybird depot or CNG in Long Island City, It would have the Q19,Q39,Q60 (split with BP)Q66(split with CP)Q67,Q69,Q100,Q101,Q102,Q103,Q104.

Basiley Park would give the boot to the Q110(to QV) and QM21 to the new VS depot, I would have the Q60 at BP, the terminal is on 109th ave, a few blocks from BP

Most if not all future depots will be built with multiple floors to house buses. Clara Hale will be like that too. Company don't want to park buses on the street anymore.

Cool! Thanks for the info. I would imagine Manhattan needs the space more.

Out in Queens and Brooklyn it's not very common to have many buildings taller than maybe 8 stories close together. Usually it's like 2-3 stories. But I do think they could make better use of the space by using the roof to store some buses.

Guest Charles
I would also built an All Hybird depot or CNG in Long Island City, It would have the Q19,Q39,Q60 (split with BP)Q66(split with CP)Q67,Q69,Q100,Q101,Q102,Q103,Q104.

Yeah I've also had the idea of a 'Queensboro Depot' or something, pretty much for all the buses that serve QBP. Maybe could also even base the B62 out of it too. It could also serve as a temporary garage for MCIs coming back to Queens from their Manhattan runs, thus eliminating any concerns of "blahblahblah MCIs deadheading long distances blahblahblah wasteful"

I wouldn't include the Q104 though...I'd still keep it @ LGA.

Not to get off topic, but speaking of the Q104...why does it terminate where it is lol? It stops by a park lol on Vernon. Pretty much middle of nowhere. I've always thought it would be smarter to extend the 104 up Vernon (following the 103) to the terminal of the 18/102/103 at 2 St. IIRC there's a Costco somewhere on Vernon too so the 104 could provide service (though i doubt anyone would use mass transit to shop at Costco lol)

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DMD64) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

On the Staten Island bus map, it says there is a "bus shelter at Borough Pl/Nick Laporte Place". Anyone know what this is for?

Its the 1st bus stop for the buses that turn left after leaving the ferry terminal (don't remember the exact routes). The bus stop is basically carved out the wall

Archived