The Mobile/Smartphone Thread

What is your favorite mobile operating system?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite mobile operating system?

• Android (Google)
    • Blackberry OS (RIM)
    • iOS (Apple Inc.)
    • Symbian OS (Symbian Foundation)
    • webOS (Palm)
    • Windows Mobile (Microsoft)

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ipadmini_0068_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

The Verge - "It's only been about a month since we last got together for an Apple product announcement, but the company has more numbers to share with us. The big news is that 200 million devices are now running iOS 6, just over a month after the launch of the new OS. Apple CEO Tim Cook also touted three million new iPods sold since they were released in the last few weeks. As we heard earlier, the iPhone 5 sold more than five million phones in the first weekend = Cook said this was the fastest-selling phone in history, period.

He also talked about some iCloud features, noting that 125 million documents were placed in the cloud — and a whopping 300 million iMessages have been sent, 28,000 per second. From the App Store, Cook said that there are now 275,000 iPad-designed apps, and customers have now downloaded 35 billion apps from the store, paying $6.5 billion out to developers. Cook also gave some iBooks stats, not something we hear from Apple terribly often. There are now 1.5 billion books available in the store, with 400 million books downloaded since the launch of the store in April of 2010."

This is on Apple Stocks, Numbers and Economics, for hardware and software please visit the articles in the same category as this article.

Source Link: http://www.theverge....mini-event-2012

Edited by KeystoneRegional

Well, the iPhone is as reliable as Blackberry so they aren't making any mistakes, they could go with Windows Phone, but the real problem is the lack of apps. Truth is the Android eco-system is not going to be as secure, don't get me wrong, they did consider Androids, but the problem is security and Android's overall "open-ness" and surely we don't want our nation's secrets revealed...

Well, the iPhone is as reliable as Blackberry so they aren't making any mistakes, they could go with Windows Phone, but the real problem is the lack of apps. Truth is the Android eco-system is not going to be as secure, don't get me wrong, they did consider Androids, but the problem is security and Android's overall "open-ness" and surely we don't want our nation's secrets revealed...

Linux is open and it's considered more secure than Windows. Openness creates BETTER security because it can be scrutinized by more people as opposed to security by obscurity.

this is what happens when RIM fails to innovate on smartphones for years people will not wait 5 years for you to release a new next gen device. RIM is Canadian based though @brett get realistic. RIM brought this on themselves!!!!!!!!!!

Blame the last CEO RIM had, this new one's stepping it up ten notches

Linux is open and it's considered more secure than Windows. Openness creates BETTER security because it can be scrutinized by more people as opposed to security by obscurity.

Keep in mind, this is the Government using a consumer level smartphone so you need a good level of security, Open Source might not be the best.

You need to explain why you think a closed peice of software offers better security.

Because the open-ness is easier for hackers to hack.

Keep in mind, there are a lot of 3rd party developers and hackers working on Google Android so it's much more prone to hackers developing workable stuff easily, then send a faulty link, a governmental worker clicking on it, it installs something in the device, the something gains remote access to the device and trouble comes and many private conversations and portions of documents can be spilled out .

For Apple iOS, it's much more difficult, you have to unlock and jailbreak the device first, which no typical governmental worker would do, then go thru a much more complex system that could potentially brick the device instead of allowing the remote access app to gain access to whats in the device, further protecting what the governmental workers doesn't want us to know.

Because the open-ness is easier for hackers to hack.

Keep in mind, there are a lot of 3rd party developers and hackers working on Google Android so it's much more prone to hackers developing workable stuff easily, then send a faulty link, a governmental worker clicking on it, it installs something in the device, the something gains remote access to the device and trouble comes and many private conversations and portions of documents can be spilled out .

For Apple iOS, it's much more difficult, you have to unlock and jailbreak the device first, which no typical governmental worker would do, then go thru a much more complex system that could potentially brick the device instead of allowing the remote access app to gain access to whats in the device, further protecting what the governmental workers doesn't want us to know.

Openness makes it easier for good hackers to find flaws and fix them as well. That's the gist of my argument, but there's a well-known security professional who agrees with me as well:

His credentials are pretty damn good and his points are well-backed by other security professionals.

Proponents of secrecy ignore the security value of openness: public scrutiny is the only reliable way to improve security. Before software bugs were routinely published, software companies denied their existence and wouldn't bother fixing them, believing in the security of secrecy. And because customers didn't know any better, they bought these systems, believing them to be secure. If we return to a practice of keeping software bugs secret, we'll have vulnerabilities known to a few in the security community and to much of the hacker underground.
The reasoning behind Kerckhoffs' Principle is compelling. If the cryptographic algorithm must remain secret in order for the system to be secure, then the system is less secure. The system is less secure, because security is affected if the algorithm falls into enemy hands. It's harder to set up different communications nets, because it would be necessary to change algorithms as well as keys. The resultant system is more fragile, simply because there are more secrets that need to be kept. In a well-designed system, only the key needs to be secret; in fact, everything else should be assumed to be public. Or, to put it another way, if the algorithm or protocol or implementation needs to be kept secret, then it is really part of the key and should be treated as such.
A corollary of Kerckhoffs' Principle is that the fewer secrets a system has, the more secure it is. If the loss of any one secret causes the system to break, then the system with fewer secrets is necessarily more secure. The more secrets a system has, the more fragile it is. The fewer secrets, the more robust.
Edited by CenSin

The design for the iPhone 5 is AMAZING!!! Nothing new technologically wise though in my opinion. But that design is so sleek.

What.....there's barely any difference aside from its aluminum back and the longer frame.

Edited by Cait Sith

True all their phones upto the new optimus G which is their first phone to not suck ballz. Also the new nexus is LG

LG can't get anything right.

Their successor to the G2.

Those Optimus POSs.

Their horrible MyTouch phones.

And now they're going to ruin the Nexus line with their mediocre phones.

I got the iphone 5 the day it came out and i must its stupid fast. The hd video is amazing, and the low light feature for night pics is sick. Those droid phones have a problem with battery life and overheating, alot of my fellow co workers have the droid phones, and they all complain about them. During my 11hr work days my iphone 5 lasts my entire shift.

• 3 weeks later...

I got the iphone 5 the day it came out and i must its stupid fast. The hd video is amazing, and the low light feature for night pics is sick. Those droid phones have a problem with battery life and overheating, alot of my fellow co workers have the droid phones, and they all complain about them. During my 11hr work days my iphone 5 lasts my entire shift.

Cant forget the camera is amazing. And the A/V recording is top of class. I have never seen video with such clarity come out of a phone. And the retina display is quite a step up from my old phone, the 3Gs.

• 4 weeks later...

I am currently using a Samsung Galaxy Y Series Phone Seems to be no issue except the Battery Backup, which is quite low just 7-8 hrs it works once charged fully, unlike Nokia which works atleast 2 days after using it for various purposes too, rest all the features of the handset are best, I just love it.