B44 +SelectBusService+

Iamthe1

NYC DOT had said that section of Nostrand Av between Flatbush Av & Glenwood Rd was supposed to be a Bus Only Traffic & then they said it was gonna be a one way towards avenue U bound but then DOT never went through with those plans and they should of cause that block is way too small for 2 way traffic

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

but taylor st towards avenue U & sheepshead bay has never been a stop on local and limited so why is it now on SBS its just a waste of stop usage LeeAv is already a tight block once any vehicle makes the left from roebling its already in the left lane to make taylor st and lee av stop u have to swing wide then pickup and re switch back into the left lane. With the extension from williamsburg bridge to delancy was to help out the b39 that has schedule shortage and to relieve traffic in parking in the bay cause some B44 SBS have to park over in the Q54 B60 Direction next to the dispatcher booth which is a hard turn for rookies to swing back into the B44 bus bay now a senior who drove in the Bronx or Manhattan can do that turn as a bus buff I have assisted in backing up buses to re align them into the bay so they wont hang out and some because of there experience level has locked the bus cause they dont know when the trailer turns right swing tge steering wheel left instead of right my suggestions are good but once more artics arrive maybe the suggestion will be seen as is

what?

but taylor st towards avenue U & sheepshead bay has never been a stop on local and limited so why is it now on SBS its just a waste of stop usage LeeAv is already a tight block once any vehicle makes the left from roebling its already in the left lane to make taylor st and lee av stop u have to swing wide then pickup and re switch back into the left lane. With the extension from williamsburg bridge to delancy was to help out the b39 that has schedule shortage and to relieve traffic in parking in the bay cause some B44 SBS have to park over in the Q54 B60 Direction next to the dispatcher booth which is a hard turn for rookies to swing back into the B44 bus bay now a senior who drove in the Bronx or Manhattan can do that turn as a bus buff I have assisted in backing up buses to re align them into the bay so they wont hang out and some because of there experience level has locked the bus cause they dont know when the trailer turns right swing tge steering wheel left instead of right my suggestions are good but once more artics arrive maybe the suggestion will be seen as is

Taylor St is an SBS stop because there's no local service going up to Williamsburg Bridge Plaza. If there was no SBS stop there, people would have to walk all the way up to WBP, or down to Hewes or Flushing Av just to catch the bus. Also, it was always really odd that there was never a stop at Taylor St up until now, since the B110 does have a bus stop there, there has always been a corresponding Northbound stop on Bedford Av, and, Taylor St is pretty much right in the middle of the stops before and after it.

Also, I don't understand what you're saying about the part in bold. Are you saying that some B44 trips have gone across the Bridge because of a lack of space at WBP, and to relieve B39 service? Or am I reading this wrong? 

Taylor St is an SBS stop because there's no local service going up to Williamsburg Bridge Plaza. If there was no SBS stop there, people would have to walk all the way up to WBP, or down to Hewes or Flushing Av just to catch the bus. Also, it was always really odd that there was never a stop at Taylor St up until now, since the B110 does have a bus stop there, there has always been a corresponding Northbound stop on Bedford Av, and, Taylor St is pretty much right in the middle of the stops before and after it.

Also, I don't understand what you're saying about the part in bold. Are you saying that some B44 trips have gone across the Bridge because of a lack of space at WBP, and to relieve B39 service? Or am I reading this wrong? 

This is why I don't even like to post.

....Also, I don't understand what you're saying about the part in bold. Are you saying that some B44 trips have gone across the Bridge because of a lack of space at WBP, and to relieve B39 service? Or am I reading this wrong? 

I'm trying to figure out what a "schedule shortage" is..... I'm not even being funny either....

B39 does have a run shortage cause all of the runs are pull in and pull out from Grand Avenue Depot so my suggestion was clearly to have the B44 help out in doing some runs to Manhattan kinda of like a split route like flatbush depot does on B12 service which has 2 afternoon runs from flatbush depot. Just like when I suggested the B44 bus to KCC is to help out the B49 who had runs cut due to B44 SBS running along Rogers which is actually a B44/B49 Limited except called SBS which I still dont understand why is B49 Limited only a operation of service between bed stuy and KCC Manhattan Beach

B39 does have a run shortage cause all of the runs are pull in and pull out from Grand Avenue Depot so my suggestion was clearly to have the B44 help out in doing some runs to Manhattan kinda of like a split route like flatbush depot does on B12 service which has 2 afternoon runs from flatbush depot. Just like when I suggested the B44 bus to KCC is to help out the B49 who had runs cut due to B44 SBS running along Rogers which is actually a B44/B49 Limited except called SBS which I still dont understand why is B49 Limited only a operation of service between bed stuy and KCC Manhattan Beach

And what source told you the 49s service was cut because of SBS?

Don't worry, I'll wait for your answer...

Aside from the weird terminology you use like "schedule shortage" and stuff, maybe you should start using interpunction. Not trying to bash, just trying to give you helpful advice because this way your posts are very hard to read...

Actual service on the 49 wasn't cut due to the 44 SBS, the speculation is that the 49 will be cut back due to the 44 SBS...

remember the most of the 49 riding is south of where the sbs comes in so i don't see the sbs affecting the over all service,

Case in matter, the 49 has maintained 45 runs weekday standard prior to SBS introduction.

(note: it used to be 46 runs, but they cut one to scrap up B2 weekend service.)

In other news: I was reading another 44SBS thread from a year or two ago, and someone (I believe B35 posted) mentioned something very vital about the B44 - there's no north-south service east of New York Av, until you hit Utica (a good 6-7 block distance from NY-Nostrand corridors), so the only way to actual for Rogers to suitable host for the SBS is to literally move the 44 over to Rogers completely, which I 'think' will undoubtedly happen sooner or later. 

But, then again.. things are picking up, slowly be surely.

Just awaiting for the summer movement to see how things really turn up.

....In other news: I was reading another 44SBS thread from a year or two ago, and someone (I believe B35 posted) mentioned something very vital about the B44 - there's no north-south service east of New York Av, until you hit Utica (a good 6-7 block distance from NY-Nostrand corridors), so the only way to actual for Rogers to suitable host for the SBS is to literally move the 44 over to Rogers completely, which I 'think' will undoubtedly happen sooner or later. 

But, then again.. things are picking up, slowly be surely.

Just awaiting for the summer movement to see how things really turn up.

Correct... and I remember making that point/post too.

The distance b/w Rogers & Utica (for NB service) is too great, for as dense as this part of the borough is..... (more) People will come around to using the 44 SBS, but I hope a situation doesn't arise where you have (more) ppl. taking the subway as a substitute for NB bus service b/w say, franklin & the junction (which shouldn't be/have to happen).... 

Currently, this is done in this area, moreso to get to the IND fulton line than anything [(due to how inefficient/problematic the B49 is) - the whole 2/5 to franklin for the shuttle to the C, but not to say, travel within the neighborhood(s)].....

Correct... and I remember making that point/post too.

The distance b/w Rogers & Utica (for NB service) is too great, for as dense as this part of the borough is..... (more) People will come around to using the 44 SBS, but I hope a situation doesn't arise where you have (more) ppl. taking the subway as a substitute for NB bus service b/w say, franklin & the junction (which shouldn't be/have to happen).... 

Currently, this is done in this area, moreso to get to the IND fulton line than anything [(due to how inefficient/problematic the B49 is) - the whole 2/5 to franklin for the shuttle to the C, but not to say, travel within the neighborhood(s)].....

I

That's why if and when the B44 local is moved to Rogers which it should be, it needs to be replaced with a new route running partially on NY Av / Brooklyn Av / and Albany Av involving some existing routes. You just can't take all service off NY without a replacement. That would be very bad, but I'm afraid that is exactly what will happen because they are too lazy to do any major route restructuring which is what would have to be done.

The Subway has had the (M) via the QB local, but what was the last major (bus) route that was restructured in our system? Especially for the better......

They would start up a new bus route (albeit a dinky one) before they would restructure a current one... I honestly believe that.... 

In other news: I was reading another 44SBS thread from a year or two ago, and someone (I believe B35 posted) mentioned something very vital about the B44 - there's no north-south service east of New York Av, until you hit Utica (a good 6-7 block distance from NY-Nostrand corridors), so the only way to actual for Rogers to suitable host for the SBS is to literally move the 44 over to Rogers completely, which I 'think' will undoubtedly happen sooner or later. 

IThat's why if and when the B44 local is moved to Rogers which it should be, it needs to be replaced with a new route running partially on NY Av / Brooklyn Av / and Albany Av involving some existing routes. You just can't take all service off NY without a replacement. That would be very bad, but I'm afraid that is exactly what will happen because they are too lazy to do any major route restructuring which is what would have to be done.

The unique configuration of streets in the area because of Holy Cross Cemetery & the Kings County Hosp/Downstate Medical Center Complex causes all N/S avenues btn Utica and NY Avenues to start/end. Also, because the freight line cuts off Troy & Schenectady Aves at Farragut & Glenwood Rds, it's impossible to run a true N/S from the vicinity of the Junction unless NY Avenue is used. To me, there is no reason to move the N/B 44 LCL since it serves a vital necessity, the very problem you are discussing, especially since the 49 already serves Rogers as the 44SBS' local.

What happens to the B49 if the 44 is placed fully on Rogers, move it onto Bedford Ave? Why create a need (a replacement for the removal of 44 from NY Ave) when that move may be detrimental to the existing service? Moving the 44 from NY creates a hole and threatens an existing line with reduced (or eliminated) service and for what...aesthetics? To me, it makes zero sense.

Its literally 2 buses on 30 minute headways...what shortage...

The unique configuration of streets in the area because of Holy Cross Cemetery & the Kings County Hosp/Downstate Medical Center Complex causes all N/S avenues btn Utica and NY Avenues to start/end. Also, because the freight line cuts off Troy & Schenectady Aves at Farragut & Glenwood Rds, it's impossible to run a true N/S from the vicinity of the Junction unless NY Avenue is used. To me, there is no reason to move the N/B 44 LCL since it serves a vital necessity, the very problem you are discussing, especially since the 49 already serves Rogers as the 44SBS' local.

What happens to the B49 if the 44 is placed fully on Rogers, move it onto Bedford Ave? Why create a need (a replacement for the removal of 44 from NY Ave) when that move may be detrimental to the existing service? Moving the 44 from NY creates a hole and threatens an existing line with reduced (or eliminated) service and for what...aesthetics? To me, it makes zero sense.

Moving the 44 entirely actually streamlines the route without the one lane nonsense and turns from Farragut and Fulton St. The idea would literally truncate the B49 to Flatbush Av or restructure it otherwise, perhaps further down Ocean Av, to Empire Blvd.. Who knows.

This would open the idea for transit to open the closed-off entrance of the Nostrand IND station (west side) for Bedford Av access.

As vital as a NY Av is, I completely favor Rogers Av in all aspects, but mostly because over time it will bring business back to life along the corridor. There's plenty of vacant space and closed down operations simply because there's not enough foot traffic, and with the poor B49 service, it's simply dead weight. A super utilized route such as the 44 real restore business to the area.

Just my two cents.

I

That's why if and when the B44 local is moved to Rogers which it should be, it needs to be replaced with a new route running partially on NY Av / Brooklyn Av / and Albany Av involving some existing routes. You just can't take all service off NY without a replacement. That would be very bad, but I'm afraid that is exactly what will happen because they are too lazy to do any major route restructuring which is what would have to be done.

i really hope they dont move it off new york..people will be pissed alot of people need it to get to kings county and downstate and dont for get people that live in the projects (flatbush gardens)

I suggested this in another thread, but I'd think a B40 running on NY/Marcy northbound and Nostrand southbound (with B49 moved entirely to Bedford and all B44 northbound to Rogers) might be a solution. The B40 would run between the junction and Flushing Ave.

Something like this:

https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=202807188220210378870.0004ec5b658de8ba24022&msa=0

No, this is not ideal routing, but just a baseline of what could be done.

Moving the 44 entirely actually streamlines the route without the one lane nonsense and turns from Farragut and Fulton St. The idea would literally truncate the B49 to Flatbush Av or restructure it otherwise, perhaps further down Ocean Av, to Empire Blvd.. Who knows.

i really hope they dont move it off new york..people will be pissed alot of people need it to get to kings county and downstate and dont for get people that live in the projects (flatbush gardens)

If the B44 local is moved to Rogers, a whole bunch of other routes coud be streamlined also. However truncating the B49 woud be a horrible idea which is what the MTA will try to do. In that case I would oppose changing the B44 local. If it is changed, the B49 shoud run up Ocean to Empire and east to Utica. The B43 could be rerouted along Brooklyn to Winthrop to New York to Clarendon to Brooklyn to Avenue H to Flabush. Return via Nostrand to Glenwood to Brooklyn to Clarendon to New York to Empire to Kingston then regular route. That would provide some north south service between Nostrand and Utica as well as provide needed service along the length of Empire Blvd and straighten out the B49.

1. Moving the 44 entirely actually streamlines the route without the one lane nonsense and turns from Farragut and Fulton St. The idea would literally truncate the B49 to Flatbush Av or restructure it otherwise, perhaps further down Ocean Av, to Empire Blvd.. Who knows.

2. This would open the idea for transit to open the closed-off entrance of the Nostrand IND station (west side) for Bedford Av access.

3. As vital as a NY Av is, I completely favor Rogers Av in all aspects, but mostly because over time it will bring business back to life along the corridor. There's plenty of vacant space and closed down operations simply because there's not enough foot traffic, and with the poor B49 service, it's simply dead weight. A super utilized route such as the 44 real restore business to the area.

Just my two cents.

1. Can't cut the B49 back to Flatbush Ave. With 10 49LTD S/B runs in the mornings from Empire Blvd, there's enough ridership to justify keeping it. Also, making NY Ave one way N/B would eliminate the "one lane nonsense" criticism. Wishful thinking, I know but it is plausible.

2. That's a possibility since Nostrand is an express stop. The MTA mindset would probably be thinking those B44 passengers will more likely walk over to the Franklin Ave station since it's closer than walking down to Nostrand. That's a Community Board battle for the future.

3. I don't propose to know how having full B44 service on Rogers will induce future business onto the corridor. It's possible but irrelevant to this discussion since we're talking about the immediate impact/shock of eliminating the B49. Also, if the 44 is removed completely from NY Ave, will the businesses along that corridor survive?

@ If the B44 is moved to Rogers there absolutely has to be a replacement. My proposal would be to bring the B43 straight down Brooklyn Ave to Winthrop where it heads west to NY Ave, Nostrand if NY Ave becomes one way N/B (pipe dream), south to Linden Blvd, east to Brooklyn, south to Ave H and west to E 31st St where it will terminate. Return route is north on 31st to Glenwood, east to Brooklyn, north to Linden, west to NY, north to Winthrop, east to Kingston and then north.

The thing about making NY Ave one way north, that S/B lane has to go somewhere. Make Bedford Ave one way S/B from Dean St to Newkirk (another dream in a pipe) and 2 way from then on. Move the B49 to Ocean Ave and terminate it at Utica Ave. This will replace the B43 and provide bus service on Empire Blvd btn Flatbush and Utica.

My 2 coppers worth.

@ Totally inspired by BrooklynBus

Archived