B44 +SelectBusService+

Iamthe1

I love the B44 SBS its much faster there are only a couple of things Rogers Av is faster for buses onlycar drivers seem to loss their driving skills there needs to be more traffic enforcement on Nostrand and Rogers Av cause there is no way a bus gets speed and a car gotta weave in and out of the bus lane due to double parked vehicles. I also agree with some customers and Bus Operators about the stop changes some stops needed to leave but some didn't need to management needs to communicate more with the Bus Operators and Public to understand the concerns than rather make decision based on what is best for service

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Furthermore since the B44 was first introduced with Articulated Buses it should of remain an artic route not just SBS artic and RTS and Orion NG hybrid for local all the buses MTA scrapped for new bus purchase could of been used for B44 local service like its being used by LGA depot for Post Sandy Buses routes due to shortage of buses

Here is my suggested Stops B44 SBS Between Williamsburg Bridge or Delancy - Grand Street and Knapp Street with 10 runs serving Kingsboro Community College eliminating B39 route

From Delancy - Grand St / Williamsburg Bridge

Eliminate Taylor no one uses it anyway Flushing next all other stops can stay in place Avenue L after Flatbush Junction then Kings Highway then Avenue R then Avenue U eliminate Avenue X for Avenue Z then Knapp then via EMMONS to Kingsboro Community College direct express

No Short Runs to Flushing Av and Avenue U only local Service as mentioned with Articulated Buses

From Kingsboro Community College express to Nostrand Av & Emmons Av next stop Avenue Z then Avenue U then Avenue R then Kings Highway then Avenue L then Flatbush Junction then continue all current SBS stops except move Empire Blvd SBS across street after traffic light continue normal SBS stops to Williamsburg Bridge Buses ending at Willamsburg Bridge will resume normal drop off but will pickup at Broadway and Roebling buses going to Delancy Grand St will pick in Knapp St / Kingsboro Community College Stop then over Williamsburg Bridge to Delancy Grand St

Here is my suggested Stops B44 SBS Between Williamsburg Bridge or Delancy - Grand Street and Knapp Street with 10 runs serving Kingsboro Community College eliminating B39 route

From Delancy - Grand St / Williamsburg Bridge

Eliminate Taylor no one uses it anyway Flushing next all other stops can stay in place Avenue L after Flatbush Junction then Kings Highway then Avenue R then Avenue U eliminate Avenue X for Avenue Z then Knapp then via EMMONS to Kingsboro Community College direct express

No Short Runs to Flushing Av and Avenue U only local Service as mentioned with Articulated Buses

From Kingsboro Community College express to Nostrand Av & Emmons Av next stop Avenue Z then Avenue U then Avenue R then Kings Highway then Avenue L then Flatbush Junction then continue all current SBS stops except move Empire Blvd SBS across street after traffic light continue normal SBS stops to Williamsburg Bridge Buses ending at Willamsburg Bridge will resume normal drop off but will pickup at Broadway and Roebling buses going to Delancy Grand St will pick in Knapp St / Kingsboro Community College Stop then over Williamsburg Bridge to Delancy Grand St

I'm unsure of how you understand the B44 to be, or the areas it serves, but your whole plan is, quite frankly, ludacris.

There's no need to extend the B44 over the bridge; the B39 serves its purpose at the moment, along with the J train. And then to extend the B44 on it's southern end to Kingsboro CC? You're having this B44 do too many things when there's already sufficient service available. Hell, why we're at it - let's extend the B46 to Far Rockaway after Kings Plaza, via Flatbush Avenue. /sarcasm

You are wrong about Taylor Street - folks DO use the stop, especially those living in the NYCHA complex (forgot the name of those houses) west of Bedford and Taylor, and those living in the complex at Roebling and Division Streets. Yes, Taylor does have it's use.

Avenue L is a useless express/limited stop outside of rush hour, unlike the rest of the SBS stops along the line; the locals can very well handle that stop. Avenue R can remain eliminated as you'll pick up maybe one or two passengers, along with dropping off one person (if that) at the stop. The only time Ave R looks as if it's busy is with the few school kids there, or there's a number of buses missing in a either direction. Locals can handle it, case closed.

I don't get your idea of relocating the Empire SBS station across the street. For?

Your attempt at changing SBS stations in Sheepshead - Avenue X for Avenue Z, is completely out of control. Avenue X serves a great number of passengers, where it takes up the schools east of Nostrand Ave (Sheepshead Bay HS, and a neighboring JHS), along with a great percentage of residents in the Sheepshead/Nostrand houses. What is the purpose of Ave Z that X cannot possibly do?

By the time I leave Av X, northbound, I'll have a standing load artic - generated from points I've mentioned above, and those living/working at Avenue Y and Avenue W. Yes, its major stop.

Now, for your take at now short turning buses. There's a reason for short-turning, as for any other line. You don't want to over-serve a portion of the line that doesn't need the number of buses going in that direction, more so, north of Flushing Avenue - there's no reason to send every SBS up there. Don't forget about the chaos of traffic on Bedford and Lee Avenues, with the Jewish residents. During the week, my first round goes to Flushing Av, and as I'm laying over, my leader hasn't shown from the bridge yet.. why? He's stuck in traffic. Now I'm dealing with a double headway on the SBS (5-6 min headway, PM rush). This helps keep the flow of service without interruption from known areas. For your presumption: south of Ave U is already served by the locals and SBS buses (prior to SBS, every LTD bus served Sheepshead Bay; all locals turned at Av U), which keeps the flow of service moving without over-serving.

Imagine if the locals are late, and now you have a party of them coming out of Emmons Av, bunched.. now you have a service problem, no? The short-turns keeps service flowing, as I said.

Perhaps you should study the line a bit more, first, before throwing these inquiries 'out there'.

I don't think that issue with Staten Islanders hating lights was ever resolved. The bill died in the Senate, IIRC.

I don't get what that has to do with the B44. I haven't really been paying attention, but did they extinguish all the lights because of SI'ers complaining, or something? The last thing I had heard on the lights was the clash of blue representing police, so they went with purple instead.

I'm unsure of how you understand the B44 to be, or the areas it serves, but your whole plan is, quite frankly, ludacris.

There's no need to extend the B44 over the bridge; the B39 serves its purpose at the moment, along with the J train. And then to extend the B44 on it's southern end to Kingsboro CC? You're having this B44 do too many things when there's already sufficient service available. Hell, why we're at it - let's extend the B46 to Far Rockaway after Kings Plaza, via Flatbush Avenue. /sarcasm

You are wrong about Taylor Street - folks DO use the stop, especially those living in the NYCHA complex (forgot the name of those houses) west of Bedford and Taylor, and those living in the complex at Roebling and Division Streets. Yes, Taylor does have it's use.

Avenue L is a useless express/limited stop outside of rush hour, unlike the rest of the SBS stops along the line; the locals can very well handle that stop. Avenue R can remain eliminated as you'll pick up maybe one or two passengers, along with dropping off one person (if that) at the stop. The only time Ave R looks as if it's busy is with the few school kids there, or there's a number of buses missing in a either direction. Locals can handle it, case closed.

I don't get your idea of relocating the Empire SBS station across the street. For?

Your attempt at changing SBS stations in Sheepshead - Avenue X for Avenue Z, is completely out of control. Avenue X serves a great number of passengers, where it takes up the schools east of Nostrand Ave (Sheepshead Bay HS, and a neighboring JHS), along with a great percentage of residents in the Sheepshead/Nostrand houses. What is the purpose of Ave Z that X cannot possibly do?

By the time I leave Av X, northbound, I'll have a standing load artic - generated from points I've mentioned above, and those living/working at Avenue Y and Avenue W. Yes, its major stop.

Now, for your take at now short turning buses. There's a reason for short-turning, as for any other line. You don't want to over-serve a portion of the line that doesn't need the number of buses going in that direction, more so, north of Flushing Avenue - there's no reason to send every SBS up there. Don't forget about the chaos of traffic on Bedford and Lee Avenues, with the Jewish residents. During the week, my first round goes to Flushing Av, and as I'm laying over, my leader hasn't shown from the bridge yet.. why? He's stuck in traffic. Now I'm dealing with a double headway on the SBS (5-6 min headway, PM rush). This helps keep the flow of service without interruption from known areas. For your presumption: south of Ave U is already served by the locals and SBS buses (prior to SBS, every LTD bus served Sheepshead Bay; all locals turned at Av U), which keeps the flow of service moving without over-serving.

Imagine if the locals are late, and now you have a party of them coming out of Emmons Av, bunched.. now you have a service problem, no? The short-turns keeps service flowing, as I said.

Perhaps you should study the line a bit more, first, before throwing these inquiries 'out there'.

I certainly respect your opinions since you do drive the bus. However, you are way off the mark when you state that service to Kingsborough is adequate and need not be improved. Do you have any idea what goes on there? (See my article today on Sheepsheadbites probably appearing at noon time.) There is no need, however for the B44 to serve Kingsborough at all times, only from 7 AM to about 7 PM. Also only half the Knapp Street SBSs need to be sent to Kingsborough which amounts to 25% of the SBS buses or about 13% of all the B44 buses.

I don't get what that has to do with the B44. I haven't really been paying attention, but did they extinguish all the lights because of SI'ers complaining, or something? The last thing I had heard on the lights was the clash of blue representing police, so they went with purple instead.

Staten Island politicians said the clash of blue was illegal. Then they tried passing a bill which allowed purple lights, but then Staten Island politicians threw a hissy fit about blue-ish lights, and the bill died in the Senate.

As of right now, blue lights are completely illegal in New York, and purple lights aren't technically illegal, but the MTA would most likely get sued.

I'm wondering if there will be a different schedule operated during Christmas week as has been done prior to sbs ?

They will probably run a school closed schedule.

A while back we had BrooklynBus suggesting B44's to Sheepshead Bay subway, now you got this guy Nyct7720 wanting to run 44's to KCC....

What next, B44's to Coney Island..... Jesus Christ....

Thank you Acela for breaking shit down!

I also proposed extending the B44 to KCC. It's simpler to implement than going to Sheepshrad Bay Station and makes a lot of sense. I don't know about the other stuff limitednyc proposed. I would probably agree with Acela since he drives the bus that the other ideas are flawed.

They will probably run a school closed schedule.

I also proposed extending the B44 to KCC. It's simpler to implement than going to Sheepshrad Bay Station and makes a lot of sense. I don't know about the other stuff limitednyc proposed. I would probably agree with Acela since he drives the bus that the other ideas are flawed.

Member named "NYCT7720", not limitednyc....

Anyway, well at least you're honest (I don't remember you suggesting 44's going to KCC)..... I'll say that I detest the idea of having superroutes in our system - and sending 44's to Sheepshead Bay subway, or KCC would be doing just that.... It's enough that the current route runs to the "quiet" part of Sheepshead (or plumb beach, or w/e you wanna call that immediate area)..... I wouldn't exactly say there's sufficient service to KCC (which is where I agree w/ your rebuttal to Acela), but on the same token, I would not send B44's to KCC in any capacity, in an attempt to provide for better/more adequate/sufficient service there (which is what I guess the point Acela was making with that)......

As far as the other crap that was suggested, talk about bastardization & botchery of the route.... 

- Hell, Even if you wanted to send one of the FLA routes to manhattan, there are more ppl. xferring b/w 46's & 39's than they are 44's & 39's anyway..... If anything, I notice more folks xferring off 44's for the Q54/59 than I do with it & the B39......

disclaimer: I am NOT suggesting 46's go over the Willy B!

- Av Z instead of Av X as an SBS station.... Huh?

For the possibility of a benefit for more riders, this makes absolutely no sense.... Acela already explained why....

I'll go on to add that NB, av z is not much more than a xfer point (from folks seeking 44's from off 36's)... At Av X, notable passenger activity exists for pickups & dropoffs in either direction.....

- I get what he's saying about Taylor (talking about NYCT7720), it does tend to see low usage (at least whenever I take the 44, or are otherwise in the area), but I wouldn't eliminate that stop, for the simple fact that it is rather dense over there.... (The logic) Is the equivalent of wanting to get rid of a stop in front of a school, because during non-school pickup/dropoff hours (including weekends), for the most part, see low usage.....

- No short turns on a route that runs from Sheepshead to Williamsburg (with as frequent as the locals/SBS combined are), is just plain asinine.... No other way to put it... That is just flat out wasteful, even for a highly-utilized route overall like the B44.....

Ludicrous indeed.....

Not too mention the fact that Avenue X is a popular subway station on the (F).

Not really, since Sheepshead Bay (B)(Q) (which is right near Avenue Z) is more than 4 times busier than that (F) train station, and it's much closer to Nostrand Av.

Anyway, I've had a few good rides on the local in the past week, but here's a nice picture of them bunching a4arunep.jpg

I just realized today that no vehicle is supposed to stand on the HSBC block of Nostrand (near Flatbush) from 07:00 to 10:00 or from 14:00 to 19:00 on any day except Sunday so that the B44 buses can fly past all the other automobiles taking up tons of space and causing heavy traffic in the area. That restriction should really be 24/7.

But due to people not following rules and nobody doing anything about people not following rules, the B44 buses have to sit in traffic waiting to get past Flatbush Ave. And I wish they would make that area a drop-off only zone for the SBS buses so that people did not have to walk all the way from "H" back to Glenwood to get to the B6 and stores around there.

Continuing the long saga of the damages caused by the personal automobile and its users...

If the government will not enforce the laws, why should anybody be allowed to stand there at any time unless they have a real emergency requiring them to do so? They should put a physical barrier between the bus lane (the curb lane) and the lane next to it.

The problem I have is that enforcement seems so terrible and its terribleness seems so unchangeable to me that I tend to think cars do not belong in certain places at all.

Post #970 was motivated by several riders' frustration with the loss of the Glenwood Rd stop. Even posts Grand Concourse and limitednyc made in this thread expressed frustration with that. And that is a really stupid problem in my opinion; the buses should be allowed to drop people off when the signal is red at Glenwood (if they have not yet gotten past it) or Flatbush (if they have not yet gotten past it) so that they do not have to sit in traffic for 3 minutes just to walk back to Glenwood all the way from "H".

It should be: SBS bus reaches Glenwood and if the the signal is red there, drop people off and then proceed IN THE BUS LANE. Or: If the signal is green at Glenwood when the bus gets there, proceed to Flatbush IN THE BUS LANE, the signal will probably be red at Flatbush for a while so drop people off there, and then when the signal goes to green, proceed.

Not the garbage that goes on now with sitting in traffic for 3 minutes and then dropping people off, some of whom have to walk all the way back after having sat in traffic for 3 minutes, which tends to drive riders insane and therefore could pose a threat to ridership and therefore could pose a threat to SBS service levels.

Not too mention the fact that Avenue X is a popular subway station on the (F).

You think people from the (F) train are not gonna ride a bus?

How does that even remotely answer what you're being asked....

People from off the (F) riding a bus or not isn't the point..... 

The fact of the matter is, Av X on the (F) has squat to do with the B44 in-particular.... 

Your point would make some sense if you were talking about the B4, but there are hardly many ppl. riding from Sheepshead Bay (the neighborhood) to the (F) on that route....

but taylor st towards avenue U & sheepshead bay has never been a stop on local and limited so why is it now on SBS its just a waste of stop usage LeeAv is already a tight block once any vehicle makes the left from roebling its already in the left lane to make taylor st and lee av stop u have to swing wide then pickup and re switch back into the left lane. With the extension from williamsburg bridge to delancy was to help out the b39 that has schedule shortage and to relieve traffic in parking in the bay cause some B44 SBS have to park over in the Q54 B60 Direction next to the dispatcher booth which is a hard turn for rookies to swing back into the B44 bus bay now a senior who drove in the Bronx or Manhattan can do that turn as a bus buff I have assisted in backing up buses to re align them into the bay so they wont hang out and some because of there experience level has locked the bus cause they dont know when the trailer turns right swing tge steering wheel left instead of right my suggestions are good but once more artics arrive maybe the suggestion will be seen as is

Archived