Folding Seats

Calvin

I also notice that theres a set in the 9500's and 8713-8721 Have the poles with a "loop" in them. I found it strange. I thinks Its so more people can hold on

(the pole looks like two poles splitting into 2 at the middle).

One thing that annoys me is whenever most people use them, they just get up as if it was a normal seat and let the bottom piece slap the top piece resulting in a loud bang.

Only the R142/A/143 do that, Especially on the R142's.

Im on the (6) in the bronx enjoying a quiet ride and all of a sudden the seat slams shut and startles me.

The R160's dont do that as I notice.:o

One thing that annoys me is whenever most people use them, they just get up as if it was a normal seat and let the bottom piece slap the top piece resulting in a loud bang.

guilty...

and there's a particular reason as to why I don't bother holding the seat while I'm getting up from it, to prevent that *bang*....

(despite the fact that that's not a normal human reaction when getting up from a chair anyway)

see reply below....

The whole point of the folding seats is to reduce overcrowding on the (E) during rush hours, but many criticized it as uncomfortable.

when you sit in them things, it feels like you're sitting on the low floors (buses).... you have to use that much more effort in getting up from the things... furthermore, the handlebar adjacent the door is of no help most times, b/c for one, there's usually someone leaning on the doors, against it... and two, it's not a comfortable feeling to reach back for that thing, to pull yourself up... you don't gain much, if any leverage... you can hurt your arm that way if you're not careful....

that's why I let it slam w/o no qualms whatsoever, when I do sit in those seats (which isn't common anyway).....

guilty...

and there's a particular reason as to why I don't bother holding the seat while I'm getting up from it, to prevent that *bang*....

(despite the fact that that's not a normal human reaction when getting up from a chair anyway)

see reply below....

when you sit in them things, it feels like you're sitting on the low floors (buses).... you have to use that much more effort in getting up from the things... furthermore, the handlebar adjacent the door is of no help most times, b/c for one, there's usually someone leaning on the doors, against it... and two, it's not a comfortable feeling to reach back for that thing, to pull yourself up... you don't gain much, if any leverage... you can hurt your arm that way if you're not careful....

that's why I let it slam w/o no qualms whatsoever, when I do sit in those seats (which isn't common anyway).....

LMFAO!!! :cry::cry::cry:

i believe 8713-8722 was actually designed as a prototype for rush hour commutes but quickly was shut down because commuters didn't like it (or for whatever other reason)

Do many people actually comment to the MTA about car design and car assignments? For instance did E riders really bombard the MTA with complaints back in the days when every E train was a squeaky R 32. THe cars worked well but the A/C was not up to par? I ride the E regularly and have not seen 8713-8722 in months.

Do many people actually comment to the MTA about car design and car assignments? For instance did E riders really bombard the MTA with complaints back in the days when every E train was a squeaky R 32. THe cars worked well but the A/C was not up to par? I ride the E regularly and have not seen 8713-8722 in months.

When they put out the "Report cards", that's when straphangers grade the subway lines and two the biggest complaints about the E was overcrowding and lack of AC. The times that I did ride the E with those old cars it was not pleasant. The AC wasn't an issue, so much as it was just too damn crowded.

:cough: wouldn't have been an issue if the R32s were still in Jamaica yard :cough:

Yes, that is my long life dream. A R32 on the (E). I would be foaming to death. Oh My God, I'm gonna pass out. -Please do not think I am being serious.

Seats of death?

A term used to refer to the fold-up seats on the NTTs, from that Problem Resolvers video a while back IIRC.

The standee poles with the loop in the middle actually are nice looking. Yes, they allow for more standees to hold on as the train is moving.

I also notice that theres a set in the 9500's and 8713-8721 Have the poles with a "loop" in them. I found it strange. I thinks Its so more people can hold on

(the pole looks like two poles splitting into 2 at the middle).

Archived