R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just want to know how many cars are going to each yard, since the (A)(C)(J) and SAS are supposed to get them.

For the (J), it'll be enough so they can retire all the R42s and be all NTT.

SAS is still a while to go, but will probably require at least more than a handful of trains.

(A)(C), I'll just wait on if they get either just the 10 car trains or a mix of both 8 and 10 car trains.

I am lil confused why Kawasaki Rail Car wont built R179. At least my opion Kawasaki Rail Car will have chance to built R211. At least we are riding mostly Kawasaki Rail Car of New York City Subway system . Choosing another car company to built R211. It will look very bad I just saying. People like riding Kawasaki Rail Car Subway rail Car R62 , R142A , R143 , R160B I hope they have chance to built R211 it will look bad for them i just saying some know.

I am lil confused why Kawasaki Rail Car wont built R179. At least my opion Kawasaki Rail Car will have chance to built R211. At least we are riding mostly Kawasaki Rail Car of New York City Subway system . Choosing another car company to built R211. It will look very bad I just saying. People like riding Kawasaki Rail Car Subway rail Car R62 , R142A , R143 , R160B I hope they have chance to built R211 it will look bad for them i just saying some know.

Well Bombarider made the R142's, and 62A's, and people were fin with those. Not to mention Bombarider was over $150 Million cheaper.

What confusion? Railcar contracts go to the lowest bidder. Bombardier gave the best offer. Kawasaki isn't the only railcar builder on the planet. So what if they have already built other fleets? It's the same with buses. Various fleets. And how would it look bad? They've been building rail equipment for the US since the SEPTA trolleys in 1981. it would look bad for kawasaki if they built a fleet of lemons, not that they lost the 179 contract.

If anything, Bombardier can use this as a redemption in a way. Truck problems in the past with both the 142s and the Acela HSR sets didn't look good for them.

• 4 weeks later...

Art Vandalay was right. 65 four car sets and 8 five car sets to equal the 300 car total.

http://www.mta.info/...9_1400_Cpoc.pdf

page 13 of the document

This will limit where these trains can (and likely will) go.

65 four-car sets and 8 five-car sets? Wait, can I please get what you mean? I'm asking because I'm confused with the caculations.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

Good call Art! I for one thought otherwise. Now my question is, where on earth would 4 full length sets go to?

That's simple; to the (F), to get rid of the handful of 46's there (which will probably go to the (A) as spares; especially since the (A) will never be able to borrow from the (C) again. :rolleyes: )

Also says the R211's will be "Next Generation design".