R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, D to 96 St said:

I understand...these foamers just take this R32 assignments to another level, when it's just a train. Be grateful you even get to ride the R32's ANYWHERE, as they'll be retired after the shutdown. I'm gonna stay out of this "R32 (B) and (G) thingy" until all of us can calm down. 

For how long will you be gone? We'll miss you. 

Well ppl blamed @LGA Link N train for causing the whole mess of the "parody, memes, and other crap" because he bumped it. Ppl just need to stop this garbage over R32s. 

Hey in my defense I just made a prediction and It got out of hand from there. @R42N I was being sincere about that apology, but when I said that we were bringing it up again, I was going to point out a fact (despite my opinions) I don't care where they go as long as the MTA makes the logical and best choice (which is not under my jurisdiction). And as for there retirement, Sure I'll miss them but I'm not a foamer (despite how immature I can be). And one last point, I didn't start this mess. 

2 hours ago, D to 96 St said:

When I mean by foamer, it means people just keep arguing about R32's endlessly EVEN after credible sources came in and provided us with info. 

I see your point, but I'm no foamer

I just realized that I'm late and this conversation ended so my bad

Edited by LGA Link N train

3 minutes ago, D to 96 St said:

Ok let's please get back on topic with R179s. 

I know that 3058-3064 finished up, as well as the other production car set (can't remember which),

3066-3069 and 3090-3093

but are any other cars being scheduled to deliver besides the two @Fan Railer listed?

not sure (wonder what happened to 3020-3049, 3070-3087, and 3094-3303) ... wait. The order is being delivered staggered and out of order from what I know

Replies in bold

2 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Those lines are OPTO, meaning one person train operation. There is no conductor on these lines.  They need full width cabs so the train operator can operate the doors on his left side.  R32's do not have full width cabs.  

There it is. I was thinking the operation was like the (G) especially on RPS good to know.

9 minutes ago, Fan Railer said:

Cars on property:

3010-3019 (10)
3050-3057 (8)

3058-3065 (8)

3066-3069 (4)
3086-3093 (8)
3096-3097 [2]

If the trend follows, 94-95 will arrive tomorrow.

So we should expect 42 cars in MTA property, I had to break down the order you had to make this easier for me.

12 hours ago, LGA Link N train said:

Replies in bold

Interestingly enough, the R142s were delivered out of sequence too. But much more so than the R179s with some of the 66xx and 67xx series cars going into service before some of the 63xx, 64xx and 65xx series cars did.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

On 1/13/2018 at 4:40 PM, subwaycommuter1983 said:

It may work.  The A, C needs NTT and  that  is the reason why a lot of these sets have been possibly modified into 5 car sets.  Yes, the C needs longer trains, but it also needs NTT.  It's pretty unfair that the A and C trains always have to stick with the oldest fleet in the system.

I agree. The A & C should be the first ones to get the R211s instead of getting the R179s. This would be a better service for A trains to utilize artics on that line, especially for its Far rock branch. The Lefferts Blvd, the Rock Park & the C gets regular R211s

2 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

I agree. The A & C should be the first ones to get the R211s instead of getting the R179s. This would be a better service for A trains to utilize artics on that line, especially for its Far rock branch. The Lefferts Blvd, the Rock Park & the C gets regular R211s

As the 211s are the designated replacement for the 46s, it's a strong possibility that those cars will run on the (A) and (C) lines. Of course, the MTA might pull a fast one and shuffle the 160s around so that 8th Avenue gets more hand-me-downs in lieu of the new cars going elsewhere. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

5 hours ago, Lance said:

As the 211s are the designated replacement for the 46s, it's a strong possibility that those cars will run on the (A) and (C) lines. Of course, the MTA might pull a fast one and shuffle the 160s around so that 8th Avenue gets more hand-me-downs in lieu of the new cars going elsewhere. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

Except that some of the R211s will be CBTC-equipped for Eighth Avenue CBTC as multiple MTA documents have shown.

4 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

Except that some of the R211s will be CBTC-equipped for Eighth Avenue CBTC as multiple MTA documents have shown.

Speaking of CBTC. I don't get why (MTA) is slow with this (to me it's not the answer to improving our signals.) Not sure about Ultra Wideband though. 

22 minutes ago, LGA Link N train said:

Speaking of CBTC. I don't get why (MTA) is slow with this (to me it's not the answer to improving our signals.) Not sure about Ultra Wideband though. 

No one makes the current signals anymore. CBTC is the thing on the markets these days.

The MTA is slow with it because testing has to be rigorous, and there's only so much time that they get during shutdowns to actually do work (since a good amount of time before and after is getting stuff set up in place).

1 hour ago, Union Tpke said:

Yes, but R211s don't have to run on 8th avenue to enable Eighth Avenue CBTC. If you put the R211s on the D E F and half the A, you can move the R160s currently on the E and F to the rest of the A and the B/C. (ETC. I am making a hypothetical, the numbers don't perfectly work out. My point is that you need to have the R211s for 8th ave CBTC, although you don't actually need to run them on 8th ave. )

1 hour ago, LGA Link N train said:

The signals need replacement. Replacement is the answer. Thales Seltrac and Siemens Trainguard MT are the specific systems used so far in the necessary replacement, both of which are forms of CBTC. 

3 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

When 8th ave will be CBTC nobody knows... it'll be at least a decade, well after the R211 delivery. I wouldn't be surprised if MTA decides to put R211s on QBL first, as that will get CBTC a bit earlier.

Besides, r211s are not required for CBTC. All the 160s/179s can handle it, too.

13 hours ago, U-BahnNYC said:

When 8th ave will be CBTC nobody knows... it'll be at least a decade, well after the R211 delivery. I wouldn't be surprised if MTA decides to put R211s on QBL first, as that will get CBTC a bit earlier.

Besides, r211s are not required for CBTC. All the 160s/179s can handle it, too.

Queens CBTC will start with R160s, prior to the delivery of the R211 order. 

That said, there is nothing stopping the R211 from going there once they come in, bumping the R160s to the additional 4 lines requiring CBTC equipped trains once 8th has CBTC installed as well. 

Edited by Art Vandelay