R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

51 minutes ago, VIP said:

It’s heard from an (A) line T/O that the R32’s are not going to Coney Island and that the (A) will have all 222 R32’s assigned to Pitkin/207th respectively until retirement. The R42’s on the other hand will make their way to Coney Island as spares, or rush hour put ins. This makes the most sense. I don’t think it’s practical for Coney Island to house 4 different car classes. 

In that case, what's on the (G)? Cause the whole service plan is based on the (G) getting R32's to make up the extra trains..

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

In that case, what's on the (G)? Cause the whole service plan is based on the (G) getting R32's to make up the extra trains..

The (J)’s R160’s. The MTA never confirmed the (G) to have “on the brink of retirement” cars. The (G) is going to have more Frequency, the R32’s are NOT reliable enough. That’s like putting R32’s back on the (F) ... recipe for disaster. 

7 minutes ago, VIP said:

The (J)’s R160’s. The MTA never confirmed the (G) to have “on the brink of retirement” cars. The (G) is going to have more Frequency, the R32’s are NOT reliable enough. That’s like putting R32’s back on the (F) ... recipe for disaster. 

So then why does the A, C, J/Z still run the R32s, since they are not reliable? (rhetorical question)

Once you give it enough thought, there will be enough 8-car trains (whenever the R179 8-cars are all delivered) to have a sizable surplus for either the G or the C. The C is going to have R46s as it is going to be 600', so its out of the running for the surplus, so the G will get them, most likely permanently. No need for the R32s to be at Coney.

2 hours ago, VIP said:

It’s heard from an (A) line T/O that the R32’s are not going to Coney Island and that the (A) will have all 222 R32’s assigned to Pitkin/207th respectively until retirement. The R42’s on the other hand will make their way to Coney Island as spares, or rush hour put ins. This makes the most sense. I don’t think it’s practical for Coney Island to house 4 different car classes. 

The A will keep about a third of its r46's plus all 10 car r179's. If you do the math correctly, you'll realize that the A will only need about half of the remaining r32's to complete the fleet.

The G will need the other half of the remaining r32's during the shutdown plus most of the r160's from the C and J because the G will have the highest ridership during the shutdown followed by the M and A.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

The MTA has confirmed the following information so far:

50 additional cars on the M (Canarsie)
Full length trains on the C and G
r32's will stay during the Canarsie.
Free out of system transfer between the G and J/M/Z and between the 3 and L (Canarsie).
QBL, 8th Avenue and Lexington Avenue will become CTBC within the next five years (Byford).
Increased service on the A (Canarsie), D and E (this fall - Byford).
650 new subway cars within the next five years. (Obviously r211's-Byford).

This is the link to the website that gives us information about the number of subway cars needed for each line of the B division.

http://www.thejoekorner.com/carassignments/bmt-ind-2018-01-12.htm

Those numbers will change in some of the lines within the next few months.

Let's keep all this information in mind before making any more predictions.
Remember one thing is to predict what may or may not happen within the next few months and years and another thing is to confirm information that has not been officially confirmed. So be careful guys!!!!

Well guys, it's officially confirmed for the shutdown that: 

The (M) won't get just 50 additional cars, but rather 5 TPH! It will be increased from 9 TPH to 14 TPH! Sadly, the (J)(Z) will be reduced to 10 TPH, and the (R) to 8 TPH in order to make room for the 14 TPH (M). Keep in mind there's an important distinction to note between an additional five trains per hour or just five trains added to the line. 

The (G) will have some trains terminate at Bedford-Nostrand and will be extended to 18 Av! 12 TPH would run from 18 Av/Church, while 3 TPH would run from Bedford-Nostrand to Court Square. 

The (C) and (G) will be full-length, as confirmed in the past. 

Need proof? Well here you go!

http://web.mta.info/mta/news/notices/pdf/Canarsie_Env_Assessment_ FINAL.pdf

Edited by Coney Island Av

19 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

The (M) won't get just 50 additional cars, but rather 5 TPH! It will be increased from 9 TPH to 14 TPH! Sadly, the (J)(Z) will be reduced to 10 TPH, and the (R) to 8 TPH in order to make room for the 14 TPH (M). Keep in mind there's an important distinction to note between an additional five trains per hour or just five trains added to the line. 

The (G) will have some trains terminate at Bedford-Nostrand and will be extended to 18 Av! 12 TPH would run from 18 Av/Church, while 3 TPH would run from Bedford-Nostrand to Court Square. 

There’s already a post from early August with this same info in the 14th St Tunnels Closure thread.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

40 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

Thank you for sharing the information.

I had a feeling that the MTA was going to end up adding more than 50 cars to the M.

I have an impression that based on this information that the M will get the r160's from the J and L, while the G will get the r160's from the C plus half of the remaining r32's. 

This information shows that the G and M trains will have the highest ridership during the shutdown.

As for the reduction on the J/Z and R trains, I saw that coming. The Williamsburg Bridge can only handle 24tph. However, the J/Z  will run local 24/7 during the shutdown.

Let's see what happens. We still have a few months before the shutdown and things are still subject to change, including information confirmed by the MTA, but I know this is excellent news for C and G train riders (full length permanently).

Also, thanks to @Around the Horn and @MysteriousBtrain for clarifying the information on the cars 3010-3019. Wikipedia is giving inaccurate information on 3010-3019.

On 9/8/2018 at 3:30 PM, subwaycommuter1983 said:

What is the next step once 3010-3019 is re-delivered?? 30 day revenue testing or a burn-in testing??

It will have the same path to revenue service all of the current cars at ENY have gone through. Testing in the Rockaways, then Burn-in testing, then 30-day revenue testing. 

1 hour ago, themanchoman said:

when are the 179s coming to the a line, the a needs faster cars already

I agree 100%. The r32's are not in good shape and are  slowing down service on the A and I experience that last Friday when I got on an r32 A. They're slower than the r46.

Fortunately, the r32's will become a minority once all 10 car r179's enter service on the A. Some r46's are still staying in the A.

3015-3019 has been redelivered. If 3010-3014 is redelivered this week or next week, this set would enter service sometime in October.

22 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I agree 100%. The r32's are not in good shape and are  slowing down service on the A and I experience that last Friday when I got on an r32 A. They're slower than the r46.

You literally just agreed with me a few posts before that the R32s are better off staying on the (A) for obvious reasons and now all of an sudden you claim that they are slower than the R46s? That doesn't sound right. And the R46s are not any better either.

37 minutes ago, Jemorie said:

You literally just agreed with me a few posts before that the R32s are better off staying on the (A) for obvious reasons and now all of an sudden you claim that they are slower than the R46s? That doesn't sound right. And the R46s are not any better either.

The most ideal thing for the A is to be fully r179's. Unfortunately, the MTA messed up the r179 order and didn't order enough 10 car r179's. That's why the r32's and r42's are still in service. Therefore, there is no other choice for the A than to get half of the remaining r32's and keep some of the r46's until the r211's.

3 hours ago, themanchoman said:

when are the 179s coming to the a line, the a needs faster cars already

Any delivered subway car takes time to hit revenue service. You can’t just put the train in service right away off the flatbed truck. They have to do through testing and inspection before hitting revenue service. Give it time. 

25 minutes ago, VIP said:

The R179 has officially been broken into the   12-9 pool. 🙄 (Incident at 85th Street Jamaica Bound)

What do you mean?

Never mind. I just found out that someone got hit by a J train at 85th Street.

On 9/9/2018 at 9:50 PM, Railfan 007 said:

It will have the same path to revenue service all of the current cars at ENY have gone through. Testing in the Rockaways, then Burn-in testing, then 30-day revenue testing. 

There are several tests that have to be done, but I think the 30-day test is only for the pilot train.

24 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

It won't be long until the last sets of R32s at ENY leave for the (A) because there are only 34 left in-service on the (J)(Z)

The R42s will also move out of ENY once all the R32s are at 207 St. 

Who said that? They’re staying put for the time being...