R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Far rockaway said:

So I am assuming at the rate that we are going with the 4 car set deliveries, that r179's won't appear on the (A)line until early 2019.

Maybe, i'd guess around that time but we'll have to wait and see. They should all be on the (A) by April 2019 when the Canarsie tube shutdown happens.  

Okay guys, I have a crazy theory on what could be going on with 3010-3019.

We all know at this point that they were sent up for modifications. And although one (3010-3014) was sitting in 207 St, I can officially confirm that both of them (3010-3014 and 3015-3019) are at Bombardier. Before I could only imply if the former was there. But what if they're still there not just due to modifications, but also because they're also doing additional road testing up there!

It could theoretically be a possibility, considering that there are test tracks up at the facility. We've seen pictures of the prototype set up there doing testing, as well as test programs like the (P) to Plattsburgh and (K) to Coney Island. If 3010-3019 does indeed have the most bugs/issues out of whole set, it is highly likely that they'd do additional road testing. So what if, what if, 3010-3019 is doing all this testing to prepare for when they return! If so, when the two five-car sets get back, they'll just immediately enter burn-in testing on the (A)

Sounds like good news! Because they wouldn't have to do a lot of testing when they return to MTA property, and it would accelerate their entry into revenue service! 

All we have to do is be patient until they get back. We can't be too far off from a return date. No. Not when they have been gone for months at this point. 

Edited by Coney Island Av

14 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

Okay guys, just to hopefully settle things a little bit, I have a crazy theory on what could be going on with 3010-3019.

We all know at this point that they were sent up for modifications. And although one (3010-3014) was sitting in 207 St, I can officially confirm that both of them (3010-3014 and 3015-3019) are at Bombardier (albeit from credible source @Dj Hammers). Before I could only imply if the former was there. But what if they're still there not just due to modifications, but also because they're also doing additional road testing up there!

It could theoretically be a possibility, considering that there are test tracks up at the facility. We've seen pictures of the prototype set up there doing testing, as well as test programs like the (P) to Plattsburgh and (K) to Coney Island. If 3010-3019 does indeed have the most bugs/issues out of whole set, it is highly likely that they'd do additional road testing. So what if, what if, 3010-3019 is doing all this testing to prepare for when they return! If so, when the two five-car sets get back, they'll just immediately enter burn-in testing on the (A)

Sounds like good news! Because they wouldn't have to do a lot of testing when they return to MTA property, and it would accelerate their entry into revenue service! 

All we have to do is be patient until they get back. We can't be too far off from a return date. No. Not when they have been gone for months at this point. 

Your theory might be accurate. Let's see what happens. At least we're seeing progress with the 8 car trains.

BTW I saw an r179 in person for the first time (should 've done it sooner). I didn't get on it though. I was getting off the A at Fulton street and I passed by the J platform to exit the station when I saw the r179 J train. It sounds louder on video. Lol!!

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

7 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Anyone know how much it costs to ship one R179 car from Plattsburgh to 207th St?

No clue.  In addition to the gas/toll that the towing company charges (Silk Road), Port Authority charges a hefty fee for crossing the GWB.  I'm not sure whether the MTA covers that cost, or Bombardier.

48 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

We all know at this point that they were sent up for modifications. And although one (3010-3014) was sitting in 207 St, I can officially confirm that both of them (3010-3014 and 3015-3019) are at Bombardier. Before I could only imply if the former was there. But what if they're still there not just due to modifications, but also because they're also doing additional road testing up there!

Most, if not all, railcar facilities have a test track (including Kawasaki in Yonkers, although that test track is relatively small).  All trains generally do some tests at the facility.  The modifications are being done there because the MTA does not have the resources, so it's faster and easier to do it there.  The (P) and (K) programs that were spotted were spotted on MTA on existing cars.  That has nothing to do with the issues 3010-3019 have.  So everything you just said is either already true, or is just irrelevant.

It's fine to discuss the status of trains and whatnot, but the amount of energy some people put into certain topics is mind boggling...

Edited by Bosco

Just now, Bosco said:

No clue.  In addition to the gas/toll that the towing company charges (Silk Road), Port Authority charges a hefty fee for crossing the GWB.  I'm not sure whether the MTA covers that cost, or Bombardier.

Any idea why they didn't opt for the rail routing? Cost? Class 1s not wanting to accept liability (which, I guess, is also cost)?

4 minutes ago, RR503 said:

Any idea why they didn't opt for the rail routing? Cost? Class 1s not wanting to accept liability (which, I guess, is also cost)?

I think from the Facebook group, the R142s were towed on a flatbed railcar, not push-pulled because NYCT's cars are not true FRA-rated railcars, and therefore cannot be push-pulled.  And they probably determined it is cheaper overall just to tow them on a tractor trailer.

That is, of course, not considering the liability issue (which has come up with the M9 derailment and has thrown a huge wrench into an already late contract)...

25 minutes ago, Bosco said:

I think from the Facebook group, the R142s were towed on a flatbed railcar, not push-pulled because NYCT's cars are not true FRA-rated railcars, and therefore cannot be push-pulled.  And they probably determined it is cheaper overall just to tow them on a tractor trailer.

I had heard the same for that order, but wondered what had changed since the 156s came in on flatcars. Do you know anything about that order? 

1 hour ago, Coney Island Av said:

We all know at this point that they were sent up for modifications. And although one (3010-3014) was sitting in 207 St, I can officially confirm that both of them (3010-3014 and 3015-3019) are at Bombardier. Before I could only imply if the former was there.

Cite your sources please.

4 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

Obviously @Dj Hammers...

But regardless, it was obvious they both got sent up. After all, there were no reports of 3010-3014 still at 207 St. 

Lmao stop mentioning him as your sources. I'm pretty sure he's just as tired as us when you mention his name.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

6 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

Obviously @Dj Hammers...

But regardless, it was obvious they both got sent up. After all, there were no reports of 3010-3014 still at 207 St. 

Where did he say this? Because I do not see a post from him saying that both sets are there, just one post from April when he said some sets may go there.

14 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Where did he say this? Because I do not see a post from him saying that both sets are there, just one post from April when he said some sets may go there.

He didn't say it on the forums...he said it privately on Messenger. I'm legitimately friends with him there, and I asked him if 3010-3014 was at 207 St.

To quote him directly, he said:

"Both are still at Bombardier"

But anyways, it shouldn't be a surprise that 3010-3014 is up there considering people have stated it as a possibility in the past, regardless of whether I have a source or not.

Edited by Coney Island Av

38 minutes ago, RR503 said:

I had heard the same for that order, but wondered what had changed since the 156s came in on flatcars. Do you know anything about that order? 

Only involvement Kawasaki had on that was the trucks.  Other than that, I'm not really familiar with the R156 so I can't say.

21 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Lmao stop mentioning him as your sources. I'm pretty sure he's just as tired as us when you mention his name.

From Dj Hammers himself:

On 8/7/2018 at 9:51 PM, Dj Hammers said:

Just to clear some things up - some people have extrapolated some small bits of information to make various conclusions about how the car assignments will look in the future. Furthermore, a select minority of these conclusions have been attributed to me when that isn't really the case. Some of these extrapolations are fairly well done, but I should make it clear that the resultant detailed numbers and other info from them may in some cases be inaccurate.

In short, I can't really comment about the accuracy of the claims made here because they are not official plans, and I think it would be incorrect to characterize any of those conclusions as coming from myself.

In any event, @Coney Island Av, what difference does it make where 3010-3019 are at this moment?  They are MIA, and at least one unit got sent to Bombardier for modifications.  That's it.  They will come back when the modifications are made and NYCT finds them acceptable.  That is where we are at, and have been at for a few months.  It's one thing to want to keep score of which R179s are in-service, testing, OOS, etc. (although it is sort of redundant).  But the rampant speculation is a waste of time and causes frustration on this group.  And claiming someone as a source who never made the claim in question and has asked that he not be attributed to such claims is unprofessional.  As Dj Hammers said, just because he mentioned something about a particular assignment doesn't mean it's true, and doesn't mean he himself is claiming it (he could've heard it from the grapevine).  Please leave the baseless speculation and misattribution of quotes to Fox News, thank you.

Edited by Bosco

3010-3019 are at Bombardier in Kanona, something that has been known for a while. Any further discussion regarding those cars is speculation.  I don’t like to repeat rumors and speculation from the grapevine. 

Can’t really do road testing up there because road testing by definition involves running on the subway system. 

I’m not sure why there is so much  back-and-forth about this haha

Edited by Dj Hammers

2 minutes ago, Bosco said:

In any event, @Coney Island Av, what difference does it make where 3010-3019 are at this moment?  They are MIA, and at least one unit got sent to Bombardier for modifications.  That's it.  They will come back when the modifications are made and NYCT finds them acceptable.  That is where we are at, and have been at for a few months.  It's one thing to want to keep score of which R179s are in-service, testing, OOS, etc. (although sort of redundant).  But the rampant speculation is a waste of time and causes frustration on this group.  And as Dj Hammers mentioned, just because he mentioned something about a particular assignment doesn't mean it's true, and doesn't mean he himself is claiming it (he could've heard it from the grapevine).  Please leave the baseless speculation and misattribution of quotes to Fox News, thank you.

Okay, point taken. You are indeed correct. I did learn from previous events that certain types of information didn't originally come from him, and that's why I didn't list him as a source in my original post. 

53 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

He didn't say it on the forums...he said it privately on Messenger. I'm legitimately friends with him there, and I asked him if 3010-3014 was at 207 St.

To quote him directly, he said:

"Both are still at Bombardier"

But anyways, it shouldn't be a surprise that 3010-3014 is up there considering people have stated it as a possibility in the past, regardless of whether I have a source or not.

I agree and like @trainfan22 said in a previous post, we shouldn't be surprised if it's re-delivered with the other 10 car trains, after all 8 car r179's are delivered.

35 minutes ago, Dj Hammers said:

3010-3019 are at Bombardier in Kanona, something that has been known for a while. Any further discussion regarding those cars is speculation.  I don’t like to repeat rumors and speculation from the grapevine. 

I'm just trying to understand what's actually going on lol

Unfortunately, there's a lot of people spreading baseless rumors on FB and running with them

5 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

I know right. The kid literally does this all the time on the forums in general. I just don't get him. It's like he's not his own individual. :D

Edited by Jemorie

9 hours ago, Dj Hammers said:

Can’t really do road testing up there because road testing by definition involves running on the subway system. 

I'm so sorry you deal with this. At this point we know whatever comes out of his mouth we take with a grain of salt.

So what if @Coney Island Av is incorrect? You show you care when you invest the time and energy to respond... If there's something posted on here that's controversial, just ignore what you disagree with... The second someone calls you out on something, everyone wants to chime in and take turns beating the dead horse. Turn a blind eye to what you don't care to see. Period.

7 minutes ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

So what if @Coney Island Av is incorrect? You show you care when you invest the time and energy to respond... If there's something posted on here that's controversial, just ignore what you disagree with... The second someone calls you out on something, everyone wants to chime in and take turns beating the dead horse. Turn a blind eye to what you don't care to see. Period.

Yeah but that's not the point. How would you feel if you were someone with a lot of private info (correct or not) and the info keeps spilling and your name keeps on being mentioned?

I agree that this is old though.

3 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Yeah but that's not the point. How would you feel if you were someone with a lot of private info (correct or not) and the info keeps spilling and your name keeps on being mentioned?

I agree that this is old though.

Let it go. Back to the discussion of the R179s.

1 hour ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

I don’t see an issue with criticizing someone who’s been nothing but annoying ever since he appeared on the forums and worshiping a successful person of a particular position in the transit industry like high heaven...meanwhile...the critised person also constantly spreads baseless information and causing confusion among everyone as they scratch their heads and question themselves as to whether they should believe him or not. That’s where the real problem lies and confusion is not always a good feeling. I can guarantee you that. Yeah, I get that there’s nothing wrong with looking up to anyone in general and viewing them more of a role model because of something they have in common with or something they can relate to. But this was way too much and it’s something that’s been going on for a while now and something finally had to be said. Simply “ignoring it” is not necessarily the solution to anything especially if the person has done this repeatedly as people try to hold in their patience/ignore.

And ironically, Coney Island Av has also gone on and on endlessly about stuff he doesn’t agree with before. So I’m not surprised that he’s getting a taste of his own medicine. That said, I’ll leave this thread be.

Edited by Jemorie