R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

New trains are going to go over there eventually so that argument is moot. Besides, vandals are all over the place; they aren't localized to just the C line.

I agreed now. But remember that all (except 40 cars which will be in 5-car sets) are in 4-car sets.

207th Street Yard will likely have about 184 R179s and the rest at East New York Yard. Only 40 sets which will be in 5-car sets will likely see use on the (A). The (J)(Z) will definitely have the best chance of becoming exclusively R160s like the (M) and any spare of the R179 fleet will often sub for ENY's R160 fleet there.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agreed now. But remember that all (except 40 cars which will be in 5-car sets) are in 4-car sets.

207th Street Yard will likely have about 184 R179s and the rest at East New York Yard. Only 40 sets which will be in 5-car sets will likely see use on the (A). The (J)(Z) will definitely have the best chance of becoming exclusively R160s like the (M) and any spare of the R179 fleet will often sub for ENY's R160 fleet there.

Well as long as i see some new cars on the (A) and (C) for once in my life I'm good.

the R179 were meant for Coney Island Yard for N , Q line. R179 will be 5 car unit of 300 purchase cars. So Jamaica yard wanted Coney Island R160 of kawaski R160B. so Coney Isalnd yard will be for R179 only 5 car unit. so R160 can run on R line. until R211 come into serivce for R line.

Why the hell are we talking about R211s? Is that what it is actually called?

As for the (C) and R179s, I always thought that the (B)(C) would get them, the R32s would retire, and the (A) would get those R68s.

The red stripe on the 142s were only as a tribute to the redbirds. If the engineers decided to add color, it would most likely be blue. But they prefer low maintenance costs.

"Every screw, every washer, every nut, every hole drilled for the screw costs money and will continue to."

That was told to me by Mr. Berger who was an engineer when I was an intern. I learned alot from him. And one of those things learned was what he said. Very important factor even when designing the exterior look of the car.

Just a reminder to all, my preliminary report shows the R179's are slated for the (A), (C), (J) and (T) lines, with additional reports of R143's possibly headed to the (C) as well, which would confirm my initial reports of a large bulk of the sets going to the (A). This would also signal the possibility that the (C) will get a bulk of the R46's as well.

However, as you all know, this is subject to change.

i know R62A nothing have do to deal with R179 i know. example while 7 line borrowing or loaning from R62A from 1 line. Does it make any sense R62A of 1 line need 7 line strip map. example car number R62A #2236 - #2240 running temporary for 7 line. When 1 line need their car back later. There no point putting 7 line strip. When R62A running on 7 line when it will returning on 1 line soon. & When 2 & 5 line swamp cars when 5 line uses R142 of 2 line strip map. they leave the strip map alone. It only say The strip map not in use for that line . example when 4 line borrow R142 of 5 line. The strip map say . The strip map not in use. i'm saying i maybe wrong too you know.

143's going to the (C) doesn't make any sense. The reason more 4 car sets are needed for ENY in the first place, is because the (L) was increased, thus needing more cars than the 143's that were originally just enough to fill it, and every time new cars came, it was increased more.

143's going to the (C) doesn't make any sense. The reason more 4 car sets are needed for ENY in the first place, is because the (L) was increased, thus needing more cars than the 143's that were originally just enough to fill it, and every time new cars came, it was increased more.

Eh, i'm not complaining. I love the 143's! I would love it if we got not only 179's, but 143's too! And even 46's!

143s shifting to the C kinda does make sense when thinking about how the MTA thinks. Those cars are "broken in". Crews are already pretty much certified operating them. They're already in 4 car sets (which keeps the C at 8 car consists), and add in the factor of shifts due to mileage, well, the 143s have primarily been a Canaries line exclusive(except for a few cameos on the Myrtle shuttle). Hypothetically speaking, 143s shifts to the C, 160s shift to the L, 179s go to the Jamaica line.

No, it doesn't.

Yes it does.

Just a reminder to all, my preliminary report shows the R179's are slated for the (A), (C), (J) and (T) lines, with additional reports of R143's possibly headed to the (C) as well, which would confirm my initial reports of a large bulk of the sets going to the (A). This would also signal the possibility that the (C) will get a bulk of the R46's as well.

However, as you all know, this is subject to change.

My plan would be to take the R143s from the (L) for the (C), give the R160s from the (J) for the (L), and give the R179s to the (J), (B), and (A). Not quite sure how I would work the (T) in there.

EDIT: Dante, don't you mean the (Q), not the (T)?

The (Q) just got R160s, I don't think that it would need an upgrade so fast. But if the (Q) got R179s, you could give those R160s to the (B), and give those R68As to the (C).

Edited by Brighton Express

143s shifting to the C kinda does make sense when thinking about how the MTA thinks. Those cars are "broken in". Crews are already pretty much certified operating them. They're already in 4 car sets (which keeps the C at 8 car consists), and add in the factor of shifts due to mileage, well, the 143s have primarily been a Canaries line exclusive(except for a few cameos on the Myrtle shuttle). Hypothetically speaking, 143s shifts to the C, 160s shift to the L, 179s go to the Jamaica line.

Of course, if, and that's a big if, the 143s do move over to 207th Street for C line service, the incoming 179s will have to be CBTC-equipped from the get-go. I don't recall that being part of the order, though maybe I'm wrong.

Honest question. I would like to know your reasoning as to why the B would get priority?

I'm wondering that too. I get that some folks want to see NTTs on the B, but there isn't anything wrong with the 68As.