J. Walder & Co. State of the MTA Address

East New York

It's 2011. How do you rate Mr. Walder, and the state of the MTA right now?

Look at every angle, and scenario.

I'm calling for Mr. Walder to address the public on the state of the MTA.

I think he has been one of the best CEO's in recent history. I will explain my viewpoint on Friday! Have a good week!:tup:

mta-logo(1).jpg

Courtesy http://www.generalocity.info.

It's 2011. How do you rate Mr. Walder, and the state of the MTA right now?

Look at every angle, and scenario.

I'm calling for Mr. Walder to address the public on the state of the MTA.

I think he has been one of the best CEO's in recent history. I will explain my viewpoint on Friday! Have a good week!:tup:

mta-logo(1).jpg

Courtesy http://www.generalocity.info.

For now he gets a passing grade. It's too soon to give him a letter grade yet. I don't like his underhanded "cuts" where he doesn't replace B/Os that call out sick, leaving passengers stranded and calling it part of the MTA's "reduced savings plan".

The snow debacle shows his zeal to keep the system running, BUT the system failed overall, so that's a wash there. Although I will say that I left Staten Island at 3:30pm that Sunday and made a quick run to Whole Foods and got home in a reasonable time frame with the express bus when the storm was getting nasty.

I applaud him for his stance on understanding the importance of keeping the MTA funded, even if that means raising fares. I am one of those that doesn't mind paying a tad more, BUT I want to see cleaner buses, subways and subway stations. The system is in serious disrepair, especially the subway. Constant signal problems weekly on numerous subway lines, FILTHY buses and subways (and please don't tell me about trash from passengers because some folks like myself don't litter and I don't find that too often overall. What I do observe is a lot of dust and grime especially on the subways and local buses meaning that nothing is being cleaned as it should be). The express buses are usually a bit cleaner.

He's trying to make the MTA more accountable, BUT he still has a ways to go.

I personally dont think hes a bad guy, he was faced with an economic problem that was out of his control and he had to make tough decisions that will be unpopular. At the end of the day I think the agency will come out better than it was before. We've seen a few of the capital projects already complete, the Jay St Metrotech Transfer (which i wound up missing when i was there cuz I took teh wrong escilatior) the updated Whitlock Ave and Parkchester stations, the Brighton Express is nearly done and now the (F) and (G) will have updated stations. We saw Select Bus Service come to Manhattan and Brooklyn is expected to get its own service soon. While the Subways and the LIRR lost a few goodies, Weekend West Hempstead and Greenport service and Belmont Park service, We did gain a renovated Atlantic Terminal, and im confident when times are better we will see some service cuts reversed when the revenue and the ridership is increased.

He's better than the others would have been.

@ the haters:

You try to manage the largest TA in the USA. Let's see how that goes.:P

Oh please others before him have served and left and did a better job.

The only thing I'll give him credit for is not ordering any more hyshit buses...but that's it.

The only thing I'll give him credit for is not ordering any more hyshit buses...but that's it.

Come up with ideas to solve an unprecedented budget crisis. The reason others "did better" is because they did not have as much $$$ problems.

He is doing alright with what he has. He came into this mess he didn't start this mess. So he had to do some cuts and raise fair yes... BUT look at the progress the MTA is going at right now. Construction on the Brighton, West End. More demo buses coming in. He is the best we have so far... let him keep trying to improve. He will do a better job :P

He is doing alright with what he has. He came into this mess he didn't start this mess. So he had to do some cuts and raise fair yes... BUT look at the progress the MTA is going at right now. Construction on the Brighton, West End. More demo buses coming in. He is the best we have so far... let him keep trying to improve. He will do a better job :P

So where's my (W) train?

he is actually making decisions that many of the chiefs before him refused to make or just pushed aside. i think he's doing a good job. i got to meet him and speak with him and he is a nice guy. he is just dealing with the mess the state and past chiefs left him.

he is actually making decisions that many of the chiefs before him refused to make or just pushed aside. i think he's doing a good job. i got to meet him and speak with him and he is a nice guy. he is just dealing with the mess the state and past chiefs left him.

Gotta agree, considering that when he first got the job, he was already dealing with the shit storm some of the past presidents caused, and then Albany takes the funding away from the MTA, he's been holding ground pretty good and I commend him for this. He could've done much more worse things than what he did in terms of service cuts. He's doing ok for now, remember, he has to take on the shit that was caused by the past presidents + the state. So things that happened is NOT entirely his fault...

Ultimately, I don't think its up to him to decided what buses should be made. I think that the decisions goes to the Department of Buses and then the board to approve the contracts/orders (which I think includes him).

Jay Walder is a good CEO, given the budgetary problems he's had to face.

The majority of those who abhor him are the union workers whom he is targeting.

Like the Obsolete Conductors/Train Operators/Tower Operators/Bus Operators/Signal personel/Track Workers/In house repair personel right?

Yes, the ones who have such high salaries that private sector jobs of similar qualification can't even dream of.

Private contractors pay their signal workers significantly more than NYCT. I actually know a guy that was high up in signals, but now works for a private company, and when he switched they exceeded even what he thought was a lofty pay increase when he left NYCT. He actually had to rewrite his offer because the original one he submitted was laughed at by the private company with a "That's all you want?" response even though it was MUCH more than his NYCT salary!

Private car manufacturers pay their engineers significantly more than NYCT pays Car Equipment superintendents.

Railroads pay their locomotive engineers and trainmen significantly more than NYCT pays its train operators and conductors.

So...BZZT! Try again.

Walder has done an OK job, but he has not done enough to shrink the hierarchy and redundant management. He's gone after the hourlies when he should also be going after some of the higher ups. A lot of people in the MTA still have pointless titles, as a result of political patronage or special favors. There's more savings to be had, which won't harm the service. The cuts that were made negatively impacted the service, however if he keeps operating personnel steady, then I am OK with it, but if there's another round of cuts, then Walder's grade would drop again. You need PEOPLE to make the system run, not machines, and not more supervisors/managers.

Private contractors pay their signal workers significantly more than NYCT. I actually know a guy that was high up in signals, but now works for a private company, and when he switched they exceeded even what he thought was a lofty pay increase when he left NYCT. He actually had to rewrite his offer because the original one he submitted was laughed at by the private company with a "That's all you want?" response even though it was MUCH more than his NYCT salary!

Private car manufacturers pay their engineers significantly more than NYCT pays Car Equipment superintendents.

Railroads pay their locomotive engineers and trainmen significantly more than NYCT pays its train operators and conductors.

So...BZZT! Try again.

Non-MTA cleaners get paid more than $23/hour?:o

About the contractors: Maybe I'm wrong, but the MTA contracting everything out is a major expense.

Here's something to think about: Look at the bottom right graph.

mta-stif.jpg

Yes, the ones who have such high salaries that private sector jobs of similar qualification can't even dream of.

Oh really?

Last year as a Plumber made over 90 Grand, of coruse that took five years of School to get to that level. I took a pay Cut to work down here but no regrets im doing a job i love, now...

In NINE years in the MTA i havent even seen close to that unless i work like a dog with RDO's.

In house Tradepeople in RTO usch as such as Carpenters, Plumbers, Electricians Duct Workers, Steam Fitters, Laborers make no where near as much as thier counterparts outside.

Next time use facts it helps....

Maybe I'm wrong, but the MTA contracting everything out is a major expense.

You are, i just pointed that out to you...

You do know that EVERYBODY is included in the payroll graph not just hourlies....

You try to make a point but its just a general statement...

Archived