MTA eyes sliding doors on subway platforms to prevent falls onto tracks, litter thrown onto rails

Roadcruiser1

It's just another news STORY to make people think something can be done. It wont happen though.

I dont see the issue here, a mjority of people fall because they are morons. Im sure not that many people are pushed.

Why does society go against teh grain of natural selection? If these people are that dumb to be that close to the edge of the platform and fall over or pass out or whatever I say so be it..Its like the moron who got crushed on the sliding platform last month. We are not losing any rocket scientists or brain surgens here.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's just another news STORY to make people think something can be done. It wont happen though.

I dont see the issue here, a mjority of people fall because they are morons. Im sure not that many people are pushed.

Why does society go against teh grain of natural selection? If these people are that dumb to be that close to the edge of the platform and fall over or pass out or whatever I say so be it..Its like the moron who got crushed on the sliding platform last month. We are not losing any rocket scientists or brain surgens here.

Couldnt have said this any better.

thats not all true, i seen this done in other counties and it works fine i cant see how this would be a bad thing this city needs a better system and i think they will do it because they are really talking about it. i heard this a few years ago. this is a good idea it will keep stupid people from 1 looking over the edge for the next train when most stations have the countdown clocks on the IRT i hate seeing people see the time and still look for the train too just come and it never does it comes when the times up so yea there are stupid people out there but this will make it harder

However, those usually require the car doors to be at the same position...and would be completely impractical on the letter lines (except the BMT Eastern Division and the IRT East Side and Queensboro lines), where the car doors are not at the same position---and even on the IRT East Side, an R62 is sometimes needed to make score on the #4 line, further complicating matters. Also, with the (2) scheduled to get the R62s from the (7) within the next few years (once the R142s are transferred to the (7), that could cause problems for the IRT East Side if a (2) has to be rerouted on the East Side; the doors would not match up.

Instead, what needs to be done is to change the law so that willful negligence by an employee that causally led to the injury must be proven...and an intentional jumping is a valid defense for the MTA.

However, those usually require the car doors to be at the same position...and would be completely impractical on the letter lines (except the BMT Eastern Division and the IRT East Side and Queensboro lines), where the car doors are not at the same position---and even on the IRT East Side, an R62 is sometimes needed to make score on the #4 line, further complicating matters. Also, with the (2) scheduled to get the R62s from the (7) within the next few years (once the R142s are transferred to the (7), that could cause problems for the IRT East Side if a (2) has to be rerouted on the East Side; the doors would not match up.

Instead, what needs to be done is to change the law so that willful negligence by an employee that causally led to the injury must be proven...and an intentional jumping is a valid defense for the MTA.

That does bring up an interesting scenario, which probably helps to prove Messino's claim that this is all posturing. Also, what do you do for situations like the (F) and (M) where the trains aren't the same length.

Btw, I thought the R62As were going to the (6) and (4). They're going to the (2) instead?

This is retarded. There is no excuse for ADULTS not being able to take responsibility for themselves. Let me ask you something...do you see kids becoming 12-9s? It seems to me that it's very rare. Obviously there comes a point where these kids grow up and think they are "smarter than the train" and time and again the train proves that intelligence doesn't matter when 750,000 pounds of steel meets 150 pounds of person. But yet THEIR kids don't seem to meet the same fate since they seem to actually look out for them...just not themselves!

This entire country needs to stop looking at governments, organizations, and bureaucracies to solve all of their own problems. America used to be a nation of rugged individualists that SOLVED THEIR OWN PROBLEMS by doing such revolutionary things as:

-staying away from things that are dangerous

-fixing things that are broken

Now it seems all everybody wants to do is be lazy and pay someone else to solve their problems for them. Solve your own f***ing problems and stop being a bunch of mewling pvssies who need organizations to wipe your ass for you! It's not MY responsibility to pay for the fact you can't follow an MTA rule to stay out of restricted areas which INCLUDES the tracks. MY money should NOT be used to pay to prevent someone else from violating a rule that would lead to their arrest if they were caught BEFORE the train came.

About half of the subway stations are elevated stations, or out-door stations. So a "solution that works underground" may not work well for the elevated and out-door stations.

Many stations are not the same width for the length of the station, in many stations the ends of the station narrows, which can cause a crowding problem.

At one time on many subway stations there were metal-pole type fences where the door openings would occur. These fences were useful when the car types were relatively the same through-out the line or system.

We should note that at the South Ferry Loop station - the door openings for the R-62 type subway car were the same as for the Redbirds and similar earlier trains. Even the current R-142 trains used on the number lines would fit or work at the South Ferry Loop station - one of the few stations with designated door openings.

The history of designated door openings is actually instructive when one looks at the South Ferry Shuttle platform - where curved door openings were built into the platform walls. These openings in 1905 were place at the center door openings of the subway cars then used - since the conductors could selectively open either the end doors, the center doors or all doors on the subway cars then used. When about the 1950-60-70's - a specially modified car had to be used for the Bowling Green/South Ferry Shuttle, because the subway cars used since that time opened all doors at the same time. That would present a dangerous situation to have subway car doors open to a bare station platform wall.

It should also be noted that staring down the platform into the tunnel looking for the next train has been a rider habit from the first day the subway opened in 1904. The automated train time clocks were only activated in the past year, and plenty of stations do not have them. So it is going to take the riders a bit of time to rely on such signage, for the signage to be installed and activated at all stations, and for riders to change a habit that has actually worked for decades.

Remember the days, when the conductor could say, "There's a train directly behind this one" - those days are long gone, and who would really believe the conductor anyway. It's been years/decades when one train was literally on the heels of the train in front of it, with its lights shinning into the station at the back of the current train in the station. During those days, one did not really need an automated train time clock - because the train service was much more frequent - 5 to 10 minutes apart and that was the non-rush hours. That's when the subways could really be called RAPID transit.

Mike

sorry that the image floods the page:

:tdown::tdown::tdown:

Ehhhh.....why the image?

The main problem is that people need to stop throwing trash on the tracks and

That'll never happen.

shouldn't lean so closely to the edge of the platform that they could easily slip or get pushed into the path of an approaching train.

That will also not happen. People are used to it :(

I pretty much know that. That was just a suggestion to what should start happening. I bet back 50-60 years ago people falling off the tracks and getting hit by trains wasn't a significant problem compared to what it is now.

People weren't stupid then :(

The history of designated door openings is actually instructive when one looks at the South Ferry Shuttle platform - where curved door openings were built into the platform walls. These openings in 1905 were place at the center door openings of the subway cars then used - since the conductors could selectively open either the end doors, the center doors or all doors on the subway cars then used. When about the 1950-60-70's - a specially modified car had to be used for the Bowling Green/South Ferry Shuttle, because the subway cars used since that time opened all doors at the same time. That would present a dangerous situation to have subway car doors open to a bare station platform wall.

I always thought the train's doors could have been keyed to be closed, even when the conductor signaled for them to open. I rode an R40 on the (A) a coupleyears back and the entire front car of the train was isolated. I watched what the T/O did, he disabled all the doors with a key. When the conductor opened the doors, all but the first cars' opened.

Well Im using retarted Windows XP that cannot crop images! >:(

That image wasn't even necessary in the first place, what did you win at? a discussion? that isn't even a legitimate reason to display such image.

The MTA may install sliding mechanical doors on subway platforms so riders can't fall, jump - or get pushed to the tracks.

The metal-and-glass doors would be part of a barrier along a platform's edge and would open only after a train stops at the station, a Metropolitan Transportation Authority document shows.

The system would help prevent tragic incidents, like the Sunday morning death on the (L) train tracks of 24-year-old Brendan Mahoney in Brooklyn, officials said.

And it would protect riders from killers like Andrew Goldstein, the mental patient who shoved 32-year-old Kendra Webdale to her death in front of a speeding (N) train beneath Madison Square Park in 1999.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/02/01/2011-02-01_mta_eyes_sliding_doors_as_subway_platform_lifesaver.html

****. That. Just stay way from the platform edge when trains are entering and leaving the station. Problem solved.

The system would require a glass door/gate design that could accomodate the multiplicity of car door arrangements. Each station's system would need to sense what type of train was arriving. That's not hard - an RFID transponder system could be used (similar to EZ-Pass transponders). Each train would carry an ID transponder that holds its characteristics. Each station's system would need to read the train's ID as it entered the station and determine what type of cars were on the arriving train, the length of the train, and so on, to know what glass doors to open.

How about the actual opening and closing of the gates? A radio control system tied into the train's door open/close system could be used so that when the train crew opens and closes the train doors, the station's gates would also be operated. That is really the easy part of the system

The alternative would be to guarantee that cars with the same door arrangement would ALWAYS be used on the same line -- a bit impractical.

The system would require a glass door/gate design that could accomodate the multiplicity of car door arrangements. Each station's system would need to sense what type of train was arriving. That's not hard - an RFID transponder system could be used (similar to EZ-Pass transponders). Each train would carry an ID transponder that holds its characteristics. Each station's system would need to read the train's ID as it entered the station and determine what type of cars were on the arriving train, the length of the train, and so on, to know what glass doors to open.

How about the actual opening and closing of the gates? A radio control system tied into the train's door open/close system could be used so that when the train crew opens and closes the train doors, the station's gates would also be operated. That is really the easy part of the system

The alternative would be to guarantee that cars with the same door arrangement would ALWAYS be used on the same line -- a bit impractical.

What about overlapping doors? I'm sure on BMT between the 60ft and 75ft trains there will be overlaps at door positions, like you said an alternative would be a more uniformed fleet, which currently the MTA does not have.

There is a difference between isolating a car, and selectively on the fly determining which doors will open at a station and which will not, and then at the very next station opening all of the doors.

On most, if not all of the subway cars - if there is a problem with a door panel, the conductor can isolate that particular door panel from the car door controls - so that when the conductor issues the command to open the doors - that particular door does not open.

On most if not all of the subway cars - if there is a problem with a subway car, the conductor can isolate that particular subway car, locking all of its doors - so that when the conductor issues the command to open the doors - none of the doors in that car open.

Some of the very early subway cars used on the IRT and BMT lines, allowed the conductor to determine if the end doors, the middle doors or all doors opened at a station. The conductor could do this by pressing the relevant buttons, and at the next the conductor could again select what doors opened or not. For example on cold snowy windy days the conductor could decide to open only the middle doors at an outdoor station with few passengers, while a few stops down the line open all doors because the crowds are larger.

It is that kind of door selectivity is what today we don't have - when the conductor issues the commands to open the doors, all of the doors on that side of the train open, (unless particular doors have been isolated).

Mike

Archived