New York to pay engineering firm to analyze extension of 7 train to New Jersey

Harry

New York will spend up to $250,000 to jump-start the idea of extending the 7 train all the way to Secaucus, N.J. - but New Jersey hasn't pitched in a dime.

The city hired engineering firm Parsons Brinckerhoff this week to analyze how many riders the line could serve, how they would connect to the NJTransit train hub in Secaucus and - most importantly - how much it would cost.

Their study is due in three months, which Deputy Mayor Robert Steel said will help show government and transportation agencies in the region whether to go forward.

"All of [them] are focused on trying to understand, is this a good alternative?" Steel said. "It's a matter of months, not years."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/02/04/2011-02-04_new_york_to_pay_new_jersey_firm_to_analyze_extension_of_7_train_to_secaucus.html#ixzz1CzsZAYVS

post-1-133288582569_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288582569_thumb.jpg

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lance25

Regardless of whether the line will use R62s, R142As or R188s, they'll still be A-Division size cars that will undoubtedly be crush-loaded, especially during the rush hours.

What a waste of money. Time and time again the do-nothing suits vilify the workers (yes, there's a difference between an empty suit and an employee) while they piss away gobs of money on useless "consulting" and "studies".

I believe that when the extension was first proposed I warned the forum that, because of the names bandied about in the press, that we hadn't heard the last of this project. Politicians and the real estate board, now the engineering firms. It's feeding time at public's trough again and the emperor's minions and cronies are leading the charge. If only they felt this way about parts of the IND Second System that weren't built.

How so? I believe the concept is to tunnel under the Hudson River then three miles under Weehawken, Union City, North Bergen and the Meadowlands to Secaucus Junction.

For a person living north of, say, Manhattan Avenue in The Heights, it makes more sense to take the (NJT) #125, R & T #99S or (NJT) #123 than it is to take PATH since fare-wise, the fare is the same. From, say, Hutton Street and The Boulevard, fare is $4.25 on the (NJT) #125 to PABT; or $1.50 on the (NJT) #88 or #125 to the Journal Square Transportation Center then $1.75 on PATH ($4.25).

(On a nice day, it's not bad of a walk from, say, Spruce Street and The Boulevard).

If a second New Jersey station were added at, say, Lincoln Harbor to allow connections to HBLR, I would think a (7)<7> extension would have more effect on (NJT) bus routes to PABT and the R & T #99S than on PATH. (Though it would actually be 10 cents more - a person at Griffith Street and Cambridge Avenue could walk to Congress Street-Ninth Street, take HBLR for $2.10 then the (7)<7> for $2.25 - $4.35).

In either case, I think the greatest impact a (7)<7> extension will have is north of Paterson Plank Road, especially if a second New Jersey station is added.

This is going to make PATH a pointless option.

Guest lance25
I believe that when the extension was first proposed I warned the forum that, because of the names bandied about in the press, that we hadn't heard the last of this project. Politicians and the real estate board, now the engineering firms. It's feeding time at public's trough again and the emperor's minions and cronies are leading the charge. If only they felt this way about parts of the IND Second System that weren't built.

Unfortunately, most of the Second System plans are outside of Manhattan and politicians don't consider the outer boroughs part of the city except during election season.

Serving NJ? Why?. We still have Staten Island, the far out regions of Queens, Brooklyn, the Bronx, and the far western tips of Manhattan, and a section of central Queens that still has no subway service, and we are considering NJ. We are still constructing, and planning the Second Avenue Subway (Q), (T), and have been for 76 years. The eastern section of Manhattan has only one subway line. Red Hook, Dyker Heights, and Mill Basin, are three neighborhoods that can use subway service, and they aren't served by anything, but buses. Serve NYC first then solve NJ's problems.

Serving NJ? Why?. We still have Staten Island, the far out regions of Queens, Brooklyn, the Bronx, and the far western tips of Manhattan, and a section of central Queens that still has no subway service, and we are considering NJ. We are still constructing, and planning the Second Avenue Subway (Q), (T), and have been for 76 years. The eastern section of Manhattan has only one subway line. Red Hook, Dyker Heights, and Mill Basin, are three neighborhoods that can use subway service, and they aren't served by anything, but buses. Serve NYC first then solve NJ's problems.

I am not saying you wrong young man. However someone as rich as Bloomberg and being NYC Mayor gets the attention especially the rich from Wall Street-Albany and even DC.

As far as as the outerboros i.e Eastern Queens, Eastern Bronx and Southern Brooklyn you also underestimate the NIMBY's as well.

Not to get off topic but I have always felt that a 'light rail' would be a great cheaper alternative than to extend the subways.

Back to the topic. As long as the Feds pays most or all of this project and NJ also pitches in something, it better than none. Still the hudson river arc was a huge urgent need though. Also a 1-seat ride between the Meadowlands area and midtown and Queens as well.

The Lincoln Tunnel is a parking lot 7 days a week. Something needs to be done to take cars off the road.:(

Effing waste of money...

NEW YORK CITY doesn't even have proper subway transportation in all the boroughs and they're worried about Jersey?

Frankly, screw Jersey. If they want expanded "subway" service they can do it through the proper channels through the PANYNJ and talk about an expansion of the PATH system.

Archived