New York to pay engineering firm to analyze extension of 7 train to New Jersey

Harry

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least Van Shnooken Raggen posted a map of what a Secaucus Extension would look like on a map. Oh yeah he mentions the line that keeps going after the Secaucus Junction station is a future potential extension into the interior of NJ.

Secaucus.png

Detail of the tunnel under the Hudson map.

Man-NJ.png

Does this really make sense?

Yes.

This is going to make PATH a pointless option.

No!

What a waste of money. Time and time again the do-nothing suits vilify the workers (yes, there's a difference between an empty suit and an employee) while they piss away gobs of money on useless "consulting" and "studies".

U guys don't see it from a regular NJ Transit commuter. The fares went up 25%, the tunnel is CONSTANTLY congested and with amount of failing equipment this winter, NJ Transit is on there knees. They are begging the gov't for the ARC back but Christie is being a total douchebag and honestly, having the 7 go to Secaucus won't stop the tunnel problems but it can help take a few trains out of the tunnel. It can help get traffic away the chocked Penn. You guys live in NY so y'all don't care, but what u say is waste of money now, I say is future gold mine for NJT, MTA, and Amtrak. You can quote me too.

So to you [in general] still mad about the ARC thing falling thru, get over it. A state shouldn't put itself in a hole it can't dig out of [figuratively]. Would you rather the state go belly up just for a new rail tunnel or a state with decent finances to support itself? I choose the latter.

Again: where's Obama and the stimulus funds? that would be a far better use of it than for the banks.

From another thread.

Skeptic, that I am, makes me perceive this deal as some kind of 'favor' to a firm that is ill-conceived at best, or corrupt at worst.

I concur with those that say NYC Subway has no business expanding beyond even the city limits, let alone an expensive interstate river crossing.

I have no malice at all towards those in New Jersey, but clearly this idea would disproportionately serve that state's residents, perhaps 20 to 1, at the expense via subsidy of NYC residents.

There is, as was pointed out, PATH, whose mission is to provide this type of service.

The funds starved MTA has much higher priorities to take care of, as also has been pointed out, then to even consider such a proposal as this.

If they want to expand the 7 line, perhaps it would be better to consider extending it down the far west side to the World Trade Center?

Yes.

No it most certainly does not. The MTA has been building the 2nd Av. Subway for nearly 85 years and it's nowhere near completed, tons of stations look like they were built with parts out of the junkyard, they just cut tons of buses and killed hundreds of bus stops because they can't afford it and they're worried about a fracking tunnel to NEW JERSEY? Close the nearly $1 BILLION hole in the budget and then think about it.

No it most certainly does not. The MTA has been building the 2nd Av. Subway for nearly 85 years and it's nowhere near completed, tons of stations look like they were built with parts out of the junkyard, they just cut tons of buses and killed hundreds of bus stops because they can't afford it and they're worried about a fracking tunnel to NEW JERSEY? Close the nearly $1 BILLION hole in the budget and then think about it.

Thought about it, it's in a design stage and it's need just as much as the Second Avenue Subway. And the city is paying for the design, not MTA. The entire 7 Line extension so far only cost MTA in think $1 million while the city paid the rest. And where do you come off throwing the Second Avenue Subway out ur pocket? Dude, chillax about the Second Avenue Subway, it's being built right? Those nimbys on the upper west side wont shut up right. Hey, so what if it;s not completed, let the baby crawl before he walks okay? Now I can specailly recall the MTA just announced they were going to reheb 29 stations. Again, let the kid crawl. One at a time.

Thought about it, it's in a design stage and it's need just as much as the Second Avenue Subway. And the city is paying for the design, not MTA. The entire 7 Line extension so far only cost MTA in think $1 million while the city paid the rest. And where do you come off throwing the Second Avenue Subway out ur pocket? Dude, chillax about the Second Avenue Subway, it's being built right? Those nimbys on the upper west side wont shut up right. Hey, so what if it;s not completed, let the baby crawl before he walks okay? Now I can specailly recall the MTA just announced they were going to reheb 29 stations. Again, let the kid crawl. One at a time.

The city being able to pay to help another state travel around NYC easier is screwed up no matter how you try to reason with it right now. This coincides with our federal government in the fact they're prioritizing everybody else's problems but the ones that reside at home. Let that ******* Christie have his state put out money to extend their rails out here like he should be doing in the first place.

Skeptic, that I am, makes me perceive this deal as some kind of 'favor' to a firm that is ill-conceived at best, or corrupt at worst.

I concur with those that say NYC Subway has no business expanding beyond even the city limits, let alone an expensive interstate river crossing.

I have no malice at all towards those in New Jersey, but clearly this idea would disproportionately serve that state's residents, perhaps 20 to 1, at the expense via subsidy of NYC residents.

There is, as was pointed out, PATH, whose mission is to provide this type of service.

The funds starved MTA has much higher priorities to take care of, as also has been pointed out, then to even consider such a proposal as this.

If they want to expand the 7 line, perhaps it would be better to consider extending it down the far west side to the World Trade Center?

I wish the MTA would complete their current Capital projects before worrying about projects in another state. I'm tired of them wasting money on sh*t.

The city being able to pay to help another state travel around NYC easier is screwed up no matter how you try to reason with it right now. This coincides with our federal government in the fact they're prioritizing everybody else's problems but the ones that reside at home. Let that ******* Christie have his state put out money to extend their rails out here like he should be doing in the first place.

I Agree.

Again, I'm not defending Christie here, but he's obviously looking out for just his state and voters. Why is it so friggin hard to get the PA involved and just extend the Hoboken branch to manhattan? It's obvious such a rail tunnel should be a bi-state issue. The PA is runned by both states and thus both can chip in for the costs on their respective ends.

Also: if it was Corzine in office and doing the exact same thing, would you people be just as pissed off at him or is it a Democrat/republican thing?

This is a f*****g joke. How about use the money to fix up a station or 2 instead, something that will actually happen in the real world. We all ready have rapid transit between NY and NJ it's called PATH. Wasteful and pointless.

- A

Again, I'm not defending Christie here, but he's obviously looking out for just his state and voters.

No, he's playing to special interests and pandering to the extreme right in NJ.

Why is it so friggin hard to get the PA involved and just extend the Hoboken branch to manhattan?

It's obvious that you lack the understanding of how the rail infrastructure in NJ and NY works.

We need the northeast corridor capacity increase that THE tunnel/ARC would have provided. Christie is now dolling out that money for road and highway projects.

- A

So the NJ people who come to NYC to do business aren't important?

path-map.jpg

rail_map.jpg

No, they aren't important at all, nope. Where would you get a crazy idea like people coming to and from new york being important?.....

Secaucus is a transfer station, in the middle of the wetlands near a huge freight yard. What possible benefit would extending ANYTHING from nyc to there be? Go to hoboken on PATH, take train.. or you... go to secaucus from new york penn station and transfer to a hoboken train, or..... take PATH to newark.

Once WTC transportation connections are made (read "the connection to the subway re-opens") you can take the (E) to wtc to PATH.

I am seriously disturbed by the fact that people actually think extending the 7 line into NJ is a viable idea. It does not solve any problems.

- A

I am seriously disturbed by the fact that people actually think extending the 7 line into NJ is a viable idea. It does not solve any problems.

- A

Yes, it does. Some kind of additional rail crossing (whether it be (7), PATH, or ARC) will get people off trains through the Penn Sta tunnel. This will allow for less trains in the tunnel and ease the burden on it.:(

Well If they decide to do extend the (7)<7> to N.J., then I hope they will have all R142A/R188's on there otherwise those R62A signs wont have the correct destination, It doesn't have "Secaucus, NJ" on the roll. People would be getting confused, thinking its only going to 42 Street.

Anyways, I think this is just a waste. You have PATH, NJT, buses, etc..., but my point is that they should just extend the (7)<7> to 34 Street - 11 Avenue And leave it. Use the Money to these things instead of extending the (7)<7> to N.J.:

-Make a station at 10 Avenue/42 Street on (7)<7>

-Renovate Chambers Street (J)(Mx)(Z)

-hire back some workers to clean up the stations and take care of them

-bring back the (V)(W)

there are so many other things that this money could be done with. IMO, extending the (7)<7> to New Jersey is not one of them. As I said, we already have PATH, NJT, Buses and other things. Riders would rather pay $2.25 to get the (7) to Manhattan rather than paying $5 for PATH to go into Manhattan. Its just not a good idea IMO :tdown:

Since we got all of this money to build a subway line for another state, then I am positive we can find the money for at least one of the following projects:

-2nd Avenue line (phase 3 and 4, and actually four tracks instead of two)

-Extension of (6) to Co-Op city

-Extension of (E) to LIRR Row

-Extension of (J) to Hollis

-Extension of LIRR Atlantic Branch to Lower Manhattan

-Extension of (2)/(5) to Kings Plaza

-Rebuilding of Rogers Junction

-Extension of (D) to Gun Hill Road station

Thought about it, it's in a design stage and it's need just as much as the Second Avenue Subway. And the city is paying for the design, not MTA.

uhhh....the city crying broke is why the MTA lost gobs of funding.

The entire 7 Line extension so far only cost MTA in think $1 million while the city paid the rest.

One million that they do NOT have.

And where do you come off throwing the Second Avenue Subway out ur pocket?

I come off as a person who rides that damn Lexington Av. Line almost every day.

Dude, chillax about the Second Avenue Subway, it's being built right? Those nimbys on the upper west side wont shut up right. Hey, so what if it;s not completed

It'll never be built. At least not in my lifetime. And what do you mean so what? You say that because you live in New Jersey. Come live in New York and try to commute every day and then make a decision.

Now I can specailly recall the MTA just announced they were going to reheb 29 stations.

29/468.

Nope. They have PATH. Remember this:

We all ready have rapid transit between NY and NJ it's called PATH.

If NYC wants it so bad then why not buy PATH and the HBLR from the Port Authority?. I am sure the (MTA) can come up with something to buy it. Then we can charge the people using PATH 5 dollars like on the MNRR, and LIRR, and finally fill up the gap, and we can charge people on the HBLR 2 dollars, and 50 cents. It's a win win for everyone.

It'll never be built. At least not in my lifetime. And what do you mean so what? You say that because you live in New Jersey. Come live in New York and try to commute every day and then make a decision.

I lived in NY, 11 years. I still WORK in NY, and I ride the same sardine packed (6) and (5) train everybody else ride. It's gunna be built, ur so quick to throw answers why not put a MTA workers suit on and check the progress urself. Stop trying to fight with me. I hate it when people goes "oh well u live in jersey u dont know...nanana...." STFU! If I wasn't a child at the time I wouldn't be living in this wooded shit hole buddy.

29/468.

Is all 468m stations falling apart? No. 29 new one plus the Culver Viaduct so that 2 more stations, and the Brighton Line reconstruction is about a good 5 or 6 station. Again ur forcing the baby to walk.

If NYC wants it so bad then why not buy PATH and the HBLR from the Port Authority?. I am sure the (MTA) can come up with something to buy it. Then we can charge the people using PATH 5 dollars like on the MNRR, and LIRR, and finally fill up the gap, and we can charge people on the HBLR 2 dollars, and 50 cents. It's a win win for everyone.

Why don't we play by Walder's rules. 6.25 on PATH with reduced service and HBLR 5.00 with service every 2 hours :P

There's a greater chance of the PANY&NJ buying or taking over the (MTA) than the other way around. Look who has the money and who doesn't.

Archived