MTA: Long Island Bus faces deepest cuts

Amtrak7

What is fight for MTA will never listen to transit fans

I already learned that from the replies I recieved!!!!!!

The unions wont think outside the box nor the MTA but I didnt leak out my full proposal here so unless I do no one here would understand the full meaning of what I said. But if I do release the full version then the idea will only get taken!!!!! I actually spoke to a few BOARD MEMBERS OF MTA They said nassau is litterally the worst when it comes to responsibility. However I also spoke with a former board member of the MTA. My intention isn't to subsidize nassau it was to make the system more appealing to the descretionary rider one who has a car but will use transit if it's good enough. If you notice ONLY HIGH RIDERSHIP LINES were the ones I suggested to be combined. There were several things I suggested THAT I WONT TELL HERE.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You MIS REPRESENT the NYC scrapps into nassau thing In my proposal ONLY 2 QUEENS RTES WILL DO THIS THE REST IS NASSAU RTES REALIGNED That is it drivers will change after the border to avoid union conflicts

Thing 1... Please lay off the "caps lock" key. It's difficult to take you seriously when you keep SHOUTING at us.

Thing 2... Those "only 2 Queens routes" are still paid for by City taxpayers, so extending them into Nassau County would still constitute a subsidy of Nassau County by the City, which is completely unpalatable to me. (And yes, I do object to the existing MTAB and NYCT routes that cross into Nassau and Westchester Counties.)

Ok. No problem. Just please be aware when you type/write what say.

As far as this situation, I agree what is best for Nassau is continue working with the (MTA) since this '40-year marriage' despite the baggage the (MTA) brings. If the Nassau County Executive goes to a private company, that maybe only a small saving. Not to mention some of the LIB routes that have lower ridership i.e south shore and Nassau/Suffolk border areas losing all existing bus service. Plus the 'private' company could offer crappy service as did the "private" NYC Bus Line did for the Queens Bus lines in the last 10-15 years of their existence.

The suck comment was describing the cuts ok. The MTA is a giant system why can't it work together as one unit that is what driver changing is for. And the NYC merger I suggested only involves one rte that's it just one and that adds only 30 minutes to the run it wont make the line unreliable enough of the status quo already. Nassau county does need to pay for it's system I agree with that but at the sametime longbeach is very close MTA corp drivers don't need to go beyond that. I DID NOT SAY ALL OF YOU SUCK YA DONT SOME OF YA HAVE VALID POINTS!!! The create ur own rte thread proves that. But LI is also a part of the NYC 12 county region as a network. Long beach is close to the rockaways killing N33 just wont be right plus I did see a not in service N4 in far rockaway the other day enough of the rage. I alrready chated with the moderator

Ever notice how this guy qjtransitn00b brings up transit systems in other cities, to make his points?

Someone that's all over the place w/ his rebuttals (worse, within his own posts), having a hard time stickin to a solitary topic, I cant take seriously...

I understand threads go OOT at times (which has been happening a LOT in this section), but this guy's counterarguments, to me, all read like one big ass deflection.....

viaWPR & Cait... y'all wastin ya time, famms... logic does not compute w/ this character....

unfortunately, you have people that wanna be a part of a discussion they don't have the mental capacity to sensically partake in !

I suppose, I'm just doing this for the kicks...:P

AGAIN ONLY IN MANHATTAN!!!!! plz observe the buses down 5th ave then compare their speed to LTD stop their stops are spreadout already my idea doesnt add stops. You will never understand my idea untill you go out there plus there is ssomething called driver change. If you have to observe them from outsidek outside of status quo you will see what I am saying but you cant cause the driver of a rte is in the bus the whole time you have to observe from outside.

Um, I dont think that really matters, because for one, 5th Avenue has way too much traffic 90% of the time to even throw up that stupid idea. I'm at 5th Avenue almost every day so dont tell me what to observe when I already know how the stops are like up and down that corridor.

2nd, you really dont know how the exp bus operation works, drivers are assigned the buses they have for the day, they do NOT change from express bus to express bus. Also some express bus runs that operators sometimes have are interlined with local runs so your plan would FAIL!

Only local drivers change buses every so often, NOT express operators!

3rd, even if your plan is for Manhattan, it would still fail no matter what, because you'd have to work with the unions for this shit to go through which it most definitely will not. Like I said before, each borough has their own express bus operations, your plan would completely destroy the entire thing.

Just stop with your pipe dreams already, they wont work.

Thing 1... Please lay off the "caps lock" key. It's difficult to take you seriously when you keep SHOUTING at us.

Thing 2... Those "only 2 Queens routes" are still paid for by City taxpayers, so extending them into Nassau County would still constitute a subsidy of Nassau County by the City, which is completely unpalatable to me. (And yes, I do object to the existing MTAB and NYCT routes that cross into Nassau and Westchester Counties.)

On the Q5/85 going into Green Acres it's only a few blocks into Nassau County. Plus the ridership is there so got to disagree on that one.

If we went back to pre late 1980's when the (Q5) ended at Rosedale LIRR station, riders would still walk to/from Green Acres on a busy and dangerous Sunrise Highway.

There is a need for a full time Jamaica/Green Acres routes.

As far as the others i.e BX16, S89 and the Staten Island 'express' routes using the NJ Turnpike/Lincoln Tunnel, if the feds are paying for at least part of it, it should be any problems.

On the Q5/85 going into Green Acres it's only a few blocks into Nassau County. Plus the ridership is there so got to disagree on that one.

If we went back to pre late 1980's when the (Q5) ended at Rosedale LIRR station, riders would still walk to/from Green Acres on a busy and dangerous Sunrise Highway.

There is a need for a full time Jamaica/Green Acres routes.

As far as the others i.e BX16, S89 and the Staten Island 'express' routes using the NJ Turnpike/Lincoln Tunnel, if the feds are paying for at least part of it, it should be any problems.

Agreed

I suppose, I'm just doing this for the kicks...:P

Um, I dont think that really matters, because for one, 5th Avenue has way too much traffic 90% of the time to even throw up that stupid idea. I'm at 5th Avenue almost every day so dont tell me what to observe when I already know how the stops are like up and down that corridor.

2nd, you really dont know how the exp bus operation works, drivers are assigned the buses they have for the day, they do NOT change from express bus to express bus. Also some express bus runs that operators sometimes have are interlined with local runs so your plan would FAIL!

Only local drivers change buses every so often, NOT express operators!

3rd, even if your plan is for Manhattan, it would still fail no matter what, because you'd have to work with the unions for this shit to go through which it most definitely will not. Like I said before, each borough has their own express bus operations, your plan would completely destroy the entire thing.

Just stop with your pipe dreams already, they wont work.

NOT express operators THAT IS WHY EXPRESS BUSES COST SO MUCH TO OPERATE!!!!!! Status quo again you will never get it. The lack of changing drivers on express operators prevents efficiency accross the city. And prevents buses from swapping rtes. But if express operators DID switch buses there would be less buses needed to provide the service and even with the unions the bus operators would NOT drive the full 3 boros either!!!!!! The bronx operator lets say will drive the BXM6 to 57th then he leaves the bus the brooklyn driver takes over the bus becomes X28 the brooklyn driver drives that portion and continues to that garage in brooklyn. Then the same bronx driver will repeat the process in reverse at madison ave. however on weekends bronx express rtes that merge into X28/27 WON'T MERGE. And they will revert to their original form. You outlined all the barriers to this which are the current forms and limits of the express bus but if modified and changed then your argument becomes invalid!!!!!!! SAY NO TO STATUS QUO!!!!!!!! Plus interlining with local runs could be eliminated altogether.

The bronx operator lets say will drive the BXM6 to 57th then he leaves the bus the brooklyn driver takes over the bus becomes X28 the brooklyn driver drives that portion and continues to that garage in brooklyn. Then the same bronx driver will repeat the process in reverse at madison ave. however on weekends bronx express rtes that merge into X28/27 WON'T MERGE.

This is like talking to a brick wall but in a fun way, you seem to miss out on the UNION ISSUES! That will NEVER HAPPEN! Just stop with that idea already.

The qm2a clearview guy who put up a forum had better ideas than this

LOL.

not directly but its faster to transfer to BX34 from D express!!!!!! look at the map transfers aren't as slow as they appear plus the BXM4 can be better if it was super express and bypasses grand concourse altogether via bronx river parkway to woodlawn it would cut the travel time in half. It shouldn't take an hour to get to woodlawn from manhattan on an express bus BXM4C takes the same time to get to WHITE PLAINS!!!!! When the deegan isn't jammed though. But I won't argue anymore its useless. Think as a rider would you pay 5.50 to take an hour to get to woodlawn??? or 2.25 to get there in a similar amount of time probably faster at rush hour?? plz stop the status quo and think convenience. why is an premium fare bus on the grand concourse other than for deviating to avoid the deegan???? D to norwood then Bx34. However I dont believe status quo so think as a rider. Travel time. I know my rtes and even those in NJ and other places. the refusal to change status quo kills intelligent thinking and ignores the real problem I will speak no more about this back to LIB. It would be better for BXM11 to go to woodlawn instead of the 4. can anyone PM me the ridership data on express buses??

Are you really serious on what you just said? Hmmmmm no rider who works in Midtown is going to take the (D) to Norwood-205th Street and then hop on the Bx34 to Woodlawn-Katonah Avenue....do you know how long of a ride that is? Common sense is they would have a one seat ride on the BxM4 which ends @ Midtown-26th Street and it take them to Woodlawn-242nd Street verses a bus which make every day stop on ever damn block. Its real obvious that you don't know the bus routes b/c if you did the you'd known that the BxM4 takes the Madison Avenue Bridge to E. 138th Street then makes a left onto Grand Concourse from E. 138th Street. Continues to up Grand Concourse until it hits Bainbridge Avenue, continues up Bainbridge Avenue to E. 233rd Street, travels up E. 233rd Street to Katonah Avenue and travels up Katonah Avenue until hits 242nd Street. Now where does the BxM4 take the Major Deegan Expressway??????????????? BxM1, BxM2, BxM3 and BxM18 takes the Major Deegan Expressway. Your so calling intelligent thinking is delusional that you don't what you are taking about ....you don't have any facts to back you up. All I read is a bunch of hearsay and bullshit. And what sense does it make to sent to the BxM11 to Woodlawn???.....so you are basically screwing the Wakefield riders who doesn't want to take the (2) to Manhattan. Please come back to me when you have actual facts about express buses and knowing your bus routes!

Are you really serious on what you just said? Hmmmmm no rider who works in Midtown is going to take the (D) to Norwood-205th Street and then hop on the Bx34 to Woodlawn-Katonah Avenue....do you know how long of a ride that is? Common sense is they would have a one seat ride on the BxM4 which ends @ Midtown-26th Street and it take them to Woodlawn-242nd Street verses a bus which make every day stop on ever damn block. Its real obvious that you don't know the bus routes b/c if you did the you'd known that the BxM4 takes the Madison Avenue Bridge to E. 138th Street then makes a left onto Grand Concourse from E. 138th Street. Continues to up Grand Concourse until it hits Bainbridge Avenue, continues up Bainbridge Avenue to E. 233rd Street, travels up E. 233rd Street to Katonah Avenue and travels up Katonah Avenue until hits 242nd Street. Now where does the BxM4 take the Major Deegan Expressway??????????????? BxM1, BxM2, BxM3 and BxM18 takes the Major Deegan Expressway. Your so calling intelligent thinking is delusional that you don't what you are taking about ....you don't have any facts to back you up. All I read is a bunch of hearsay and bullshit. And what sense does it make to sent to the BxM11 to Woodlawn???.....so you are basically screwing the Wakefield riders who doesn't want to take the (2) to Manhattan. Please come back to me when you have actual facts about express buses and knowing your bus routes!

well I WONT ARGUE WITH U ITS NOT worth my time Moving on to LIB. Give me ridership data on express buses then after a look i may see o well no more childrens bs not worth it foolishness is not worth discussing I know bxm11 has ridership high but not so much during offpeak I and 2 others were the only ones on but I was informed that 11 has high ridership. transfers arent as slow as u say stop talking about this I got the 11 from gun hill too but it was bound for manhattan in the afternoon

well I WONT ARGUE WITH U ITS NOT worth my time Moving on to LIB. Give me ridership data on express buses then after a look i may see o well no more childrens bs not worth it foolishness is not worth discussing I know bxm11 has ridership high but not so much during offpeak I and 2 others were the only ones on but I was informed that 11 has high ridership. transfers arent as slow as u say stop talking about this I got the 11 from gun hill too but it was bound for manhattan in the afternoon

Yeah uh huh....I thought so. Have a nice night!

they need change

haha....

With that kind of oversight, you know those supervisors aint doin s**t....

that ~ 1:2 ratio Hawk operator brought up... look at it like, a classroom of 30 students... that would mean 15 teachers....

15 teachers aren't gonna whole-heartedly dedicate & give their all - to two kids, in one class... good chance it comes down to a point where it'd only be like 2 - 4 (tops) doin all the work, with the rest of the teachers either goofing off, galavanting, or worse, not even showing up.... all, while still collecting a paycheck...

you'd think boosting someone's salary (especially when we're talking 6 figures & up) would be directly proportional to someone's increase in work ethic...

^^ all I have to say to that is L-O-f***ing-L !

(I'm actually laughing as I type that)

THAT NEEDS TO BE DONE sooner rather than later

all it means is that person obtains more important responsibilities.... it becomes indirectly proportional as to if those responsibilities/tasks are even done correctly/accurately....

Ok, first off, how can you merge a Staten Island EXP route with a Queens EXP route? We dont have an exp route that connects to 3 boroughs in terms of pickups and drop-offs. You'd need MORE buses which would INCREASE OPERATING COSTS and making exp bus service completely unreliable!

There is a reason why you dont see regular MTA routes going into L.I. It would cause issues, by sending the Q22 much more further than it already goes, you are INCREASING OPERATING COSTS and making the route much more unreliable!

The x68 DOESNT duplicate the (F) because it goes FARTHER than where the (F) goes. It only duplicates the (F) at a few stops, Union Turnpike, Van Wyck-Briarwood, Sutphin Blvd, Parsons, 169th and 179th. I dont think you understand the concept of a route being duplicated, look at the x90, it duplicated the (4), (5) & (6) from Bowling Green & City Hall all the way up to 96th Street in Manhattan, also duplicated M15 Local & Limited service. THATS what you call duplicating.

I didn't know the (F) goes all up Merrlck Boulevard.....I thought it ended @ Jamaica-179th Street along Hillside Avenue!

I didn't know the (F) goes all up Merrlck Boulevard.....I thought it ended @ Jamaica-179th Street along Hillside Avenue!

i talked about x68 not x63 x63 goes down merrick blvd not x68 which is hillside that was why I brought up the hillside 179th segment of x68 the segment west of 170th street and BXM4 grand concourse sedment.

plus the high ridership of the 11 is the only reason why it goes all the way to wakefield

when bxm11 gets off the parkway the bus becomes slower that the 2 train along white plains road you are the delusional one though you think in terms of full route not segments that is status quo CRAP

plus the high ridership of the 11 is the only reason why it goes all the way to wakefield

when bxm11 gets off the parkway the bus becomes slower that the 2 train along white plains road you are the delusional one though you think in terms of full route not segments that is status quo CRAP

*Yawn*....I'm sorry did you say something. You ever thought that the BxM11 is slower after getting off Bronx River Parkway that its an elevated subway station and so much traffic under the el. Hmmmm your still delusional. Come back to me when you have someone brilliant to say. Have a nice night!

Doesn't the Queens Boulevard line run under Queens Boulevard?

As cool (and fantasy map-like) as running the (E) or (F) down Merrick would sound...

Well, on my long list is to take buses to the (A), (E) and (7). Suppose the N4-Q27 route sounds good.

At any rate, I do believe the (MTA) will take this to court. Mangano just can't throw LIB at someone and assume they will catch it.

Doesn't the Queens Boulevard line run under Queens Boulevard?

As cool (and fantasy map-like) as running the (E) or (F) down Merrick would sound...

Well, on my long list is to take buses to the (A), (E) and (7). Suppose the N4-Q27 route sounds good.

At any rate, I do believe the (MTA) will take this to court. Mangano just can't throw LIB at someone and assume they will catch it.

yeah and get rid of some narrow thinkers too wont point fingers at who

The qm2a clearview guy who put up a forum had better ideas than this

no he didn't...

that was the same NIMBY that wanted to beef up service on the QM2/a.... while getting rid of service on a host of other queens expresses & have those people all cram onto the subway.... and his ideas for queens local routes were rather unreasonable as well, to say the least....

plus he wasn't consistent... he kept changing his ideas, as people disagreed w/ them....

how do I know that.... b/c yours truly, was one of the people who disagreed w/ his ideas on straphangers...

then a week later, he comes out w/ all these different revisions... exhibit a, exhibit b, c, x, y, z....

no he didn't...

that was the same NIMBY that wanted to beef up service on the QM2/a.... while getting rid of service on a host of other queens expresses & have those people all cram onto the subway.... and his ideas for queens local routes were rather unreasonable as well, to say the least....

plus he wasn't consistent... he kept changing his ideas, as people disagreed w/ them....

how do I know that.... b/c yours truly, was one of the people who disagreed w/ his ideas on straphangers...

then a week later, he comes out w/ all these different revisions... exhibit a, exhibit b, c, x, y, z....

O ok ouch that was allitle inconsistant even I wouldnt wish that. I only wanted to preserve LIB in a manner congruent with walder's restructuing ideas so the board would hear me better. what is a NIMBY?? like a transit group or something??

no he didn't...

at least he changed them and not insisted on three borough express bus route even after people disagree with him and say it not happening

at least he changed them and not insisted on three borough express bus route even after people disagree with him and say it not happening

lol...

If I shot someone to death or stabbed someone to death, I would still be considered a murderer.

point there, being...

just b/c he isn't as stubborn as other proposal makers, doesn't make his ideas any better....

O ok ouch that was allitle inconsistant even I wouldnt wish that. I only wanted to preserve LIB in a manner congruent with walder's restructuing ideas so the board would hear me better. what is a NIMBY?? like a transit group or something??

oh, nah...

the acronym NIMBY stands for not in my back yard....

in a nutshell, it's basically a person who opposes change in their own neighborhood/territory, etc..... and will stop at nothing to see that that "change" doesn't happen....

Nassau county's full of them.

An example would be, the nimby's out in syosset who opposed the relocating of (a new) LIRR Syosset, w/ which the current station has a problem w/ huge platform gaps....

Another example would be the floral park nimby's that shut down the proposed Q79 extension to LIRR floral park... on more than one occasion....

lol...

the acronym NIMBY stands for not in my back yard....

in a nutshell, it's basically a person who opposes change in their own neighborhood/territory, etc..... and will stop at nothing to see that that "change" doesn't happen....

Two close cousins of NIMBY are...

- LULU (Locally Undesirable Land Use), and

- BANANA (Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anybody).

In each case, a person or group vehemently opposes new construction (or even an existing facility) at absolutely all costs, with absolutely no regard to the project's benefit to themselves or the community at large.

Besides the examples cited by "B35 via Church," there are folks who move into a neighborhood, discover that a bus depot has been there for 100-plus years, and then claim that the MTA deliberately placed the depot there for the purpose of "environmental racism."

Archived