MTA: Long Island Bus faces deepest cuts

Amtrak7

That makes no sense. Why would the MTA want to take over the company when that would force it to provide the service? They are trying to get out of operating the services because Nassau County won't pay them.

As far as your express bus plan goes, I see no need to make them into limited-stop routes. Just charge the regular express bus fare and use MCI coaches. The increased ridership might negate the need for future express bus fare hikes, but I don't think they should charge local fares.

BRT buses connecting the outer boroughs running along the Belt Parkway and BQE make some sense, but I see no need to run them as express buses.

actually I meant limited in manhattan while retaining their non-stop express segments!!!!! that was my express plan to let them board multiple times!!!!! The only reason why I suggested local fares was to allow local buses that travel along express buses to be merged I observed that when they get off the parkway they are no faster than limited stop buses that was why. They retain their express rte over the parkway but in manhattan become limited to replace many rtes.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply
nassau is so mismanaged they need to recombine with queens They suck that badly!!!!

No they dont, you seem to miss the point that if any Queens routes go into L.I, we'd be helping out Mangano, therefore further subsidizing Nassau County.....

Just stop with your lame brain points already.

With permission from twty22, I got lot of people to sign "Save Long Island Bus" petition on his bus on N24 round trip. I got off at Roosevelt Field Mall to get lots of people to sign while I wait for him to come back.

Next, I got sign at Jamaica Bus Terminal, then after (MTA) Bus Breakdown chaos, I took Q8 bus to Jamaica Center and got many riders to sign petition from N4 Waiters including one of person waiting for Q42 also signed.

Speaking of petitions, it's too bad Nassau County, among other NYS downstate areas, don't have recall petitions for politicians. That way when the politicians bend the residents over you wouldn't have to wait for the next election cycle. The way it is now Nassau County could conceivably shut down LIB in it's entirety or sell it and the residents would have no recourse. I think that's why they're fighting so hard against the Financial Control Board's takeover. If the bus service is sold or scrapped it'll be too late to put the pieces back together afterward. Just my opinion. Carry on.

Speaking of petitions, it's too bad Nassau County, among other NYS downstate areas, don't have recall petitions for politicians. That way when the politicians bend the residents over you wouldn't have to wait for the next election cycle. The way it is now Nassau County could conceivably shut down LIB in it's entirety or sell it and the residents would have no recourse. I think that's why they're fighting so hard against the Financial Control Board's takeover. If the bus service is sold or scrapped it'll be too late to put the pieces back together afterward. Just my opinion. Carry on.

However, at the current time, the situation is out of Ed Mangano's hands...and who does control it is going to make some pretty painful decisions across the board.

No they dont, you seem to miss the point that if any Queens routes go into L.I, we'd be helping out Mangano, therefore further subsidizing Nassau County.....

Just stop with your lame brain points already.

SHUT UP WITH UR NARROW MINDED BULLSHIT NASSAU IS CRAP SO YES QUEENS DOESNT NEED TO TAKE OVER BUT UR VIEW OF TRANSIT IS A NARROW LOCAL BASED MESS THAT IGNORES THE NEEDS OF REGIONAL TRAVEL. THE WEALTHY DONT THINK IN TERMS OF REALISTIC BUT INTERMS OF POSSIBILITY. UNLESS YOU TALK ABOUT POSSIBILITY SHUT UP WE ALL KNOW MANGANO SUCKS. BUT YOU HONESTLY CANT BE THAT NARROW!!!!! SOME OF UR POSTS MAKE SENSE THIS ONE FAILS HARD!!!!!!!! Worse than 4C. unless you have an alternate proposal that created a unified regional network SHUT UP!!!!!! U need to rethink that Hint N4, N6 and traffic pattern on BQE nuff said

SHUT UP WITH UR NARROW MINDED BULLSHIT NASSAU IS CRAP SO YES QUEENS DOESNT NEED TO TAKE OVER BUT UR VIEW OF TRANSIT IS A NARROW LOCAL BASED MESS THAT IGNORES THE NEEDS OF REGIONAL TRAVEL. THE WEALTHY DONT THINK IN TERMS OF REALISTIC BUT INTERMS OF POSSIBILITY. UNLESS YOU TALK ABOUT POSSIBILITY SHUT UP WE ALL KNOW MANGANO SUCKS. BUT YOU HONESTLY CANT BE THAT NARROW!!!!! SOME OF UR POSTS MAKE SENSE THIS ONE FAILS HARD!!!!!!!! Worse than 4C. unless you have an alternate proposal that created a unified regional network SHUT UP!!!!!! U need to rethink that Hint N4, N6 and traffic pattern on BQE nuff said

You need to seriously grow the hell up......you have the audacity to tell someone to shut up but you are the one who is rude and disrespectful to another member on here. You don't make any sense @ all. I think you need to be quiet and take a chill pill!

To be honest, I actually agree with qjtransitmaster that certain routes could be run as one long route (I just wish he'd clean up his grammar when he makes his posts). The logic is that riders from say, The Bronx can make it all the way to Lower Manhattan without having to transfer, and riders from Staten Island and Brooklyn can make it all the way to Upper Manhattan (the UES and East Harlem) without having to transfer.

With routes that carry heavy loads however, I would leave them as seperate routes. But this idea (assuming the unions would go for it) would make sense if lower-ridership Bronx routes were combined with lower-ridership Brooklyn routes.

As far as reverse-peak service goes, he has a point: Jobs are beginning to move out to the suburbs, so if a bus deadheading back to Queens can pick up some passengers along the way, that would definitely be good. (In addition, the merging of some express routes as mentioned previously would create some induced demand for reverse-peak (and possibly off-peak) service, which is good, as it costs the MTA less to operate than peak-direction service.)

The (MTA) is good at extending express bus routes and making them longer, but not in a good way. What they did to the X14 is ridiculous. I get home a good 15 - 30 minutes later than before. :mad: The only "benefit" is that the Downtown folks have a later express bus now at about 19:00. Before the X13 ended around 18:20 or so.

It's called express for a reason. Paying a premium fare means getting to your destination quickly. I am so glad they re-routed the BM3. Before it used to make a thousand turns all over Sheepshead Bay like it was trying to service every damn street over by Kips Bay!! The ride from Emmons and Shore Blvd to Ave X and Ocean was damn there 20 - 30 minutes alone!! :mad:

Folks over there who really need the service can just walk to the BM3. Now they're rerouted it to come down Emmons to Knapp Street, down Shore Pkwy and over to Batchelder and then a left onto Ave X. Much quicker that way.

The longer the route is the more likely it is to get caught up in traffic unless you take out some stops along the way. The local buses do enough meandering as it is.

The (MTA) is good at extending express bus routes and making them longer, but not in a good way. What they did to the X14 is ridiculous. I get home a good 15 - 30 minutes later than before. :mad: The only "benefit" is that the Downtown folks have a later express bus now at about 19:00. Before the X13 ended around 18:20 or so.

It's called express for a reason. Paying a premium fare means getting to your destination quickly. I am so glad they re-routed the BM3. Before it used to make a thousand turns all over Sheepshead Bay like it was trying to service every damn street over by Kips Bay!! The ride from Emmons and Shore Blvd to Ave X and Ocean was damn there 20 - 30 minutes alone!! :mad:

Folks over there who really need the service can just walk to the BM3. Now they're rerouted it to come down Emmons to Knapp Street, down Shore Pkwy and over to Batchelder and then a left onto Ave X. Much quicker that way.

The longer the route is the more likely it is to get caught up in traffic unless you take out some stops along the way. The local buses do enough meandering as it is.

Well said well said My express idea addresses this problem however by increasing spacing between stops cause if they become open door then to avoid slow down it will need to have a few stops eliminated. You have a very valid point.

You need to seriously grow the hell up......you have the audacity to tell someone to shut up but you are the one who is rude and disrespectful to another member on here. You don't make any sense @ all. I think you need to be quiet and take a chill pill!

I guess growing up means not arguing with fools ok I get it we all chillin.

Hold on. I didnt even say my plans in this and your going to assume that my plans are based on some shit that you dont even know about?

Look kid, you want your binky? your baby blanky? your bottle? Seriously, if I'm going to have a conversation with a child, I might as well just leave you alone to your Dora The Explorer cartoons. Grow the **** up and put on your big boy undies. Most of your posts make little to no sense so your scenario is basically the pot calling the kettle black. Just sit down like a good boy, shut the **** up and read this.

For one, it DOES make sense because the MTA DOES NOT WANT to add service to Long Island UNLESS they pay their dues. What the hell does the BQE have to do with our discussion? Really?

We're talking about Long Island and the hot mess of plans you even created which everyone shot down since you started coming into this thread. Yes we know that Long Island is facing issues but you dont seem to get that the MTA does not want to add service over there, your plan is to screw US over and help THEM out. By adding service to Long Island, we'd have to pay MORE TAXES so they can get a free ride on OUR MONEY! You are so simple minded that it makes me laugh.

Also, with that disaster of an Express Bus idea, how are you going to get the unions to go through with the plan? How exactly are you going to coordinate the runs? How exactly are you going to help PAY for this type of merged service? How are you going to pay the OPERATORS who are in DIFFERENT UNIONS extra for doing multiple routes? Your play has no merit and it would fall straight into the drain pipe of hell. There is more to this than to just have operators work on one line to another, it takes A LOT of WORK and MONEY to get it established. You make it sound like we can just do it and bam, it'll happen. NEWSFLASH KID, it's NOT that easy, there is more to it than it meets the eye!

Quite frankly out of everyone who contributed to this thread, you are by the THE WORST person in this thread who has contributed such dumb ideas without much thought. You're simple minded ideas with no support would never see the light of day at MTA HQ. I'm just telling it like it is.

Before you start coming out with your moronic pipe dream plans, think before you post. That is the #1 rule on here before you even create a post so I advise you to take that very seriously....

Hold on. I didnt even say my plans in this and your going to assume that my plans are based on some shit that you dont even know about?

Look kid, you want your binky? your baby blanky? your bottle? Seriously, if I'm going to have a conversation with a child, I might as well just leave you alone to your Dora The Explorer cartoons. Grow the **** up and put on your big boy undies. Most of your posts make little to no sense so your scenario is basically the pot calling the kettle black. Just sit down like a good boy, shut the **** up and read this.

For one, it DOES make sense because the MTA DOES NOT WANT to add service to Long Island UNLESS they pay their dues. What the hell does the BQE have to do with our discussion? Really?

We're talking about Long Island and the hot mess of plans you even created which everyone shot down since you started coming into this thread. Yes we know that Long Island is facing issues but you dont seem to get that the MTA does not want to add service over there, your plan is to screw US over and help THEM out. By adding service to Long Island, we'd have to pay MORE TAXES so they can get a free ride on OUR MONEY! You are so simple minded that it makes me laugh SOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!

Also, with that disaster of an Express Bus idea, how are you going to get the unions to go through with the plan? How exactly are you going to coordinate the runs? How exactly are you going to help PAY for this type of merged service? How are you going to pay the OPERATORS who are in DIFFERENT UNIONS extra for doing multiple routes? Your play has no merit and it would fall straight into the drain pipe of hell.

Before you start coming out with your moronic pipe dream plans, think before you post.

Round of applause....best post ever!

Archived