What exactly is a foamer ?

alberchico

Hello everybody !

Just decided to join this great site and I've noticed there is a constant reference to ''foamers'' especially when it comes to discussing the nostalgia fantrips. Just wondered what exactly does that term mean. ....

Foamer-Orignally used to describe railbuffs, it now describes anyone who gets excited about something so much that they start foaming at the mouth.

Those geeks that play magic the gathering are foamers. They get so excited over one card that they start foaming at the mouth.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=foamer

Additionally, the term "foamers" usually applies to people who have obsessions with "geeky" interests, especially interests that get in the way of other people physically or otherwise. You could call it fetish-like except it's not sexual. For example, pushing your own fantasy transit agenda in the face of widespread condemnation or when your idea has been unanimously ignored is definitely considered foaming.

Fictional example:

They should really bring back the (9) train because reason A, reason B, and reason C. It could then be extended to place X as a local and all the community members of neighborhood D would benefit!
A, B, C, and D may or may not be valid justifications for their cause, or may actually be valid reasons but heavily outweighed by reasons to not consider their idea. Nevertheless, A, B, C, and D or a subset of those are repeated in the same thread and across multiple other threads many times in hopes someone will give validity to their idea. Sometimes they will concoct new B.S. (reason E, reason F, reason G…) to freshen up their rejected stale ideas. Of course, fresh B.S. can only smell like total B.S.

1) The one who foam over an R42 (F) train roll sign (one user here does that)

2) People sticking to something and obssessed with that 1 thing.. Like a lot of them love being in the subways sooo much and can't get air doing something else.. Hey being anywhere on the subway even EL is crap(depends).

3) Bullsh9ting over which train car is better, just like in RR EMD vs GE, blah..

4) Talking about trains all day blah

This is for rail foamers of course

Hello everybody !

Just decided to join this great site and I've noticed there is a constant reference to ''foamers'' especially when it comes to discussing the nostalgia fantrips. Just wondered what exactly does that term mean. ....

Foamer

1) A guy who has no interests besides mass transit. I'm a railfan, but I also like playing softball and listening to my ipod

2) A guy who will push people and run down 34 Street like a maniac just to get a pic of a Vintage Bus running on the M34

3) A guy who will wake up at 3 AM just so they can ride the first run of a new Select Bus Route

4) A guy who makes fantasy maps of subway systems in fictional cities

Additionally, the term "foamers" usually applies to people who have obsessions with "geeky" interests, especially interests that get in the way of other people physically or otherwise. You could call it fetish-like except it's not sexual. For example, pushing your own fantasy transit agenda in the face of widespread condemnation or when your idea has been unanimously ignored is definitely considered foaming.

Fictional example:A, B, C, and D may or may not be valid justifications for their cause, or may actually be valid reasons but heavily outweighed by reasons to not consider their idea. Nevertheless, A, B, C, and D or a subset of those are repeated in the same thread and across multiple other threads many times in hopes someone will give validity to their idea. Sometimes they will concoct new B.S. (reason E, reason F, reason G…) to freshen up their rejected stale ideas. Of course, fresh B.S. can only smell like total B.S.

And the most pathetic part of those topics and threads is that the people reading this are not in decision making capacities or transportation planning, so convincing someone with a good argument accomplishes nothing.

Those who do make a difference don't care to read the opinions of random people on a message board.

In other words, regarding fantasy maps....NO ONE CARES.

I am enlightened, I know these things...

Welcome Aboard to NYCTF, (A)lberchico! B)

what exactly is a foamer... Hmmm... [CO_LOR=White]ME[/color]?!?!

At least Im a good foamer[/CO_LOR].

You ask "ME" lol ^^ B)

Highlight his post from the other page lolzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

You ask "ME" lol ^^ B)

Well, Im a part foamer... & railfanner...

Foamer

1) A guy who has no interests besides mass transit. I'm a railfan, but I also like playing softball and listening to my ipod

2) A guy who will push people and run down 34 Street like a maniac just to get a pic of a Vintage Bus running on the M34

3) A guy who will wake up at 3 AM just so they can ride the first run of a new Select Bus Route

4) A guy who makes fantasy maps of subway systems in fictional cities

I don't apply to (1) and (4). (2), yes if I saw an R46 on the (F) or an R160 (C) Id scram to catch it. for (3), I kind of don't apply, but I would wake up at 3 Am the first morning when the (Q) is extended to 96 Street.

My life is not centered on trains. I do have a "life".

and (4)... No. Would never do that.

as you can see, Im part foamer on some things but mellow on others. B)

And btw at first I said I disliked R160's because they were replacing something I liked. I was told no one liked the redbirds when they came because they were replacing the Lo-V's. Ive gotten used to the R160's.

:)

Well, Im a part foamer... & railfanner...

I don't apply to (1) and (4). (2), yes if I saw an R46 on the (F) or an R160 (C) Id scram to catch it. for (3), I kind of don't apply, but I would wake up at 3 Am the first morning when the (Q) is extended to 96 Street.

My life is not centered on trains. I do have a "life".

and (4)... No. Would never do that.

as you can see, Im part foamer on some things but mellow on others. B)

And btw at first I said I disliked R160's because they were replacing something I liked. I was told no one liked the redbirds when they came because they were replacing the Lo-V's. Ive gotten used to the R160's.

:)

No Comment as i already beennnnnnnn knew, but i still will comment.. So 50/50 B) And part foamer idk about that. Wow theres even Open Foamers in this world god bless you all!!! Not just other open persons out there :)

No Comment as i already beennnnnnnn knew, but i still will comment.. So 50/50 B) And part foamer idk about that

well, okay B).

but the R42 (F) thing I really did see an 8 car set of R42 sitting on the Northbound Local track at Chambers Street (on a weekend, regular service trains use the inner "express" tracks). I saw it pull away and the side signs and front signs said (F). side said 179 St-C.I.

Archived