Since 12-9s are the norm...

Bonanza123d

The MTA should not have to splurge their money on people who want to take their lives by jumping in front of trains. Yes it can cause an inconvenience to people by halting train traffic but the MTA has bigger things to worry about.

NO!!

Obviously the (MTA) does not have the cash to do it. It is cheaper to put a Commercial on tv about this.

You paying for them?

If they didn't have the money to pay for it then they wouldn't have proposed it. And what is a PSA going to do for someone who wants to commit suicide?

And what ideas do you have lance?

The MTA should not have to splurge their money on people who want to take their lives by jumping in front of trains. Yes it can cause an inconvenience to people by halting train traffic but the MTA has bigger things to worry about.

Well my commute shouldn't have to be ruined because someone wants to commit suicide. Either way they have to spend money to reroute trains and to keep the train that has person matter OOS to clean it off (which is another train not making the agency money).

Guest lance25
If they didn't have the money to pay for it then they wouldn't have proposed it. And what is a PSA going to do for someone who wants to commit suicide?

And what ideas do you have lance?

Outside of an increased NYPD or MTA presence on the platforms (which I don't see happening given the economic situation), I don't have any. I just think that, logistically, platform screen doors are the answer, never mind the overall cost such a project would run. While you may be able to get away with it on Lexington Avenue and Concourse with the line using R142/R142As and R68/R68As respectively (the line not being CBTC equipped notwithstanding), the rest of the system has lines that use different car classes on the same line, which would make aligning the car doors to the platform doors quite difficult. Take for instance the Times Sq-42 St station on the Broadway line: you have the 8-car R68A (N), R46 (R), and 10-car R160 (N) & (Q) trains all stopping on the local tracks.

Then there is the problem of installing the doors. Unlike the very high fences along some of the bridges where all they have to do is close a lane of traffic, the (MTA) would have to divert trains while they're building those things, a project I'm sure won't be quick and easy. That leads to rider backlash because their stops are being skip or they have to take a bus to their destination in order to prevent something most riders wouldn't think of doing.

if pple want to kill themselves let them........as long as they dont kill anyone else !!

if people want to kill themselves on the subway make a special subway line for them with one train operated by robots to kill them. only people who want to die enter those stations and lines. why cause delays and trauma to the t/o i say make them another subway line where the trains are operated by computers so people who want to die jump in front of the automatic train and get it over with and not jump on the subway which over 7 million people rely on

As unfortunate as 12-9s are, they're just another facet of the system. Yes, it's traumatizing for everyone involved, but the subway isn't the only place where 12-9s happen.

Screen doors won't happen anytime soon, if ever, especially due to the differing train lengths mentioned above.

We can't do anything about it. It's disappointing but true.

Back in 1994 I was on my way to highschool and the trains were extremely delayed. When our (E) train finally reached Roosevelt ave there was a body on the tracks with a white sheet over it. I was next to the M/Ms cab and his door was open and was talking with him. He shook his head and said these things happens every day..

This is not new, just because we are hearing more about it doesnt mean it happens more often, its just brought to our attention more often is all. They didnt install screen doors then and they wont now. If someone is determined to take their life, they will do it with or without screen doors.

well I know when I was interning last semester, I made the suggestion. They said they tried PSA's before, and when they did, they saw an increase, so idk if thats the best route. The reality is when someone feels they want to take their life..and they have their mind set and made up, theres only but so much others can do...its virtually impossible to stop someone from doing it, if thats what they really want.

well I know when I was interning last semester, I made the suggestion. They said they tried PSA's before, and when they did, they saw an increase, so idk if thats the best route. The reality is when someone feels they want to take their life..and they have their mind set and made up, theres only but so much others can do...its virtually impossible to stop someone from doing it, if thats what they really want.

Throw the idea at them again. This time around, make a PSA about standing next to the platform edge.

This time around, make a PSA about standing next to the platform edge.

"Ladies and Gentlemen there is a downtown/uptown, local/express train now arriving.Please stand away from the platform edge especially as trains enter and leave the station"...

Go to anyplace on the 8th Ave line and Queens Blvd Corridor i think you will hear this message.

"Ladies and Gentlemen there is a downtown/uptown, local/express train now arriving.Please stand away from the platform edge especially as trains enter and leave the station"...

Go to anyplace on the 8th Ave line and Queens Blvd Corridor i think you will hear this message.

I believe you can hear those messages to at DeKalb Av and Atlantic Av - Pacific St.

Dude, hearing that voice makes me wanna kill myself, but all jokes aside, there should be cops at the actual platforms too, instead of right by the turnstiles/roaming the station. Maybe then something could be done.

Dude, hearing that voice makes me wanna kill myself, but all jokes aside, there should be cops at the actual platforms too, instead of right by the turnstiles/roaming the station. Maybe then something could be done.

Explain to me how a police officer can prevent a suicidal person from jumping in front of a train, bus,car,whatever. Even if a police officer is standing next to a person he/she can't stop anyone from jumping if that person really wants to harm himself. You'd have to be a mindreader to know someones' intentions unless the person was to announce it beforehand. That's usually not the case in subway 12-9s. The person just suddenly jumps with NO warning. Even the people standing around the victim are unaware of the persons' intentions until the act is committed. By then it's too late.

FYI...

PSA's (Public Service Announcements) are not paid for. They are run gratis by broadcasters for qualified groups as part of their required commitment to "operate in the public interest" (to quote the FCC). So, other than the production costs for the MTA to produce a PSA, which would be relatively small, broadcasting them would be free.

I was thinking about the (MTA) doing something and making a PSA about safety. What are your opinions?

"Ladies and Gentlemen, for your safety please do not jump in the train tracks when the train is arriving." with the flashing sign and everything lol

personally i believe in the right to voluntary death, if you have a right to life you should have the right to die too if you choose. but please don't cause trouble like this when you want to go kill yourself as it is not my or anyone else's fault that you do.

to all the people that want screen doors i have to ask. have you ever considered that mta does not have the best maintenance record, so if the doors malfunction or break down chances are that station will be bypassed untill they can get someone out to fix it. and if that person has to come by train from a office in queens to the bronx or upper west side. then take the time to trouble shoot and find out after a hour he cant fix it or he has to go back to the office to get a part. which means that station could be out longer than it would take to clean up a 12/9. i just wondering if the the "experts" thought about that? considering they know everything about transit and have all the answers. but hey what do i know, i only work here.

Archived