SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Quick question - whatever happened to this idea floating around that involved switching the tunnels the (F) and (M) use during middays and rush hours? The current (M) arrangement causes quite a traffic jam in the 53 St tunnel (merged with the (E)) especially when it has to merge with the (R) (that is sometimes late and unevenly spaced itself due to coming off of a merge with the (N)(W). Then that delays trains behind it, and when (E) trains are late it then causes merging issues with the (F).

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

Quick question - whatever happened to this idea floating around that involved switching the tunnels the (F) and (M) use during middays and rush hours? The current (M) arrangement causes quite a traffic jam in the 53 St tunnel (merged with the (E)) especially when it has to merge with the (R) (that is sometimes late and unevenly spaced itself due to coming off of a merge with the (N)(W). Then that delays trains behind it, and when (E) trains are late it then causes merging issues with the (F).

I read elsewhere that 63rd must be an express due to requirements from its funding source. Also, 36th st merge would probably cause the same issues. 

19 hours ago, Siemenslover said:

I read elsewhere that 63rd must be an express due to requirements from its funding source. Also, 36th st merge would probably cause the same issues. 

It could have been a worse clusterf***—connecting it only to the express tracks.

The original plan with a Northern Boulevard station (possibly plus a transfer to Queens Plaza) and the super express would have given what the funders wanted without the bottlenecks.

19 hours ago, Siemenslover said:

if that was true they wouldn't have trialed the V as the 63rd street service. Before the connection opened they ran full weekday rush hour service on the Queens corridor to test things out with the V as the 63rd street line and the F staying via 53rd. 

part of the reason it got the kybosh was the G. sending the V via 63rd and the R using the cut meant only the F and E would make the transfer at court square. meaning if you were going from Stienway street to Nassau Avenue, that's an extra transfer you need to make. 

Apparently, last night, approx. of 4 individuals were caught trespassing at 207 St Yard last night. NYPD were notified by a TA employee about this.

Also, the 191 St passageway on the (1) that used to have the graffiti was removed 

Edited by Calvin

42 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

if that was true they wouldn't have trialed the V as the 63rd street service. Before the connection opened they ran full weekday rush hour service on the Queens corridor to test things out with the V as the 63rd street line and the F staying via 53rd. 

part of the reason it got the kybosh was the G. sending the V via 63rd and the R using the cut meant only the F and E would make the transfer at court square. meaning if you were going from Stienway street to Nassau Avenue, that's an extra transfer you need to make. 

The main reason for switching the (F) via 63rd st was due to crowding at lex and 53rd. A lot of (F) riders were pissed off about the change as they lost their one seat ride to transfer to the Lexington ave line. That free Metrocard transfer didn't mean much when you have to take up to 3 escalators to the mezzanine and then walk 3 blocks. But all these changes made the (E)    even more packed and they added some more (E) trains with some select trains leaving from 179th which did help in a way for those hillside riders who wanted the (6) train. Now since the (Q) goes to 96th st, Lex and 63rd is a decent station if people want the upper east side.

On 1/22/2023 at 5:10 PM, R32 3838 said:

The main reason for switching the (F) via 63rd st was due to crowding at lex and 53rd. A lot of (F) riders were pissed off about the change as they lost their one seat ride to transfer to the Lexington ave line. That free Metrocard transfer didn't mean much when you have to take up to 3 escalators to the mezzanine and then walk 3 blocks. But all these changes made the (E)    even more packed and they added some more (E) trains with some select trains leaving from 179th which did help in a way for those hillside riders who wanted the (6) train. Now since the (Q) goes to 96th st, Lex and 63rd is a decent station if people want the upper east side.

Is the (E) crowded by Kew Gardens? It’s a simple platform transfer and they run often. Even waiting for the next (E) would’ve been like waiting for one (V) or (M). Lcl riders below JH don’t even have east access to 63rd, people complain about anything.

Edited by Siemenslover

4 minutes ago, Siemenslover said:

Is the (E) crowded by Kew Gardens? It’s a simple platform transfer and they run often. Even waiting for the next (E) would’ve been like waiting for one (V) or (M). Lcl riders below JH don’t even have east access to 63rd.

Yes, the (E)fills up really fast. Jamacia Center, Sutphin BLVD, and Kew Gardens are all high ridership stops, and the vast majority of people at the former 2 stations are taking the (E) over the (J) and (Z) 

After taking the (S) for a while, I have to say I’m not impressed.

For one, losing track 3 was a big mistake because now the headways aren’t as ready as they used to be. It wouldn’t matter what side of the (S) you were on, a train would already be there or getting ready to leave in one minute or less. Now, you have to wait 4 or 5 minutes for one to leave.

I know why they took track 3 out to solve the gap problem at Times Sq, but the gaps still are a problem, especially on the northern end of track 4 depending on exactly where the train is stopped. They could have done more planning where the reconstructed platform could have kept track 3, or restored track 2.

They should have at least constructed a new large crossover between Track 1 & 4 in between both stations.

EDIT: it looks like they started installing watch the gap signs recently after many complaints.

Edited by Lawrence St

Couple weeks ago, the (7) had the new LIRR announcement when arriving at Grand Central-42 Station. Usually, the announcement gets cut off when it gets to Metro-North or spoken manually. Annie Bergen's voice will be heard for the (2)(4) and (5) on the R142/As and will have paste on connection on the strip maps.  Before the opening today for the LIRR, Grand Central has the announcement on manual instead of automatic like the other stations. 

Edited by Calvin

10 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

For one, losing track 3 was a big mistake because now the headways aren’t as ready as they used to be. It wouldn’t matter what side of the (S) you were on, a train would already be there or getting ready to leave in one minute or less. Now, you have to wait 4 or 5 minutes for one to leave.

I know why they took track 3 out to solve the gap problem at Times Sq, but the gaps still are a problem, especially on the northern end of track 4 depending on exactly where the train is stopped. They could have done more planning where the reconstructed platform could have kept track 3, or restored track 2.

They should have at least constructed a new large crossover between Track 1 & 4 in between both stations.

EDIT: it looks like they started installing watch the gap signs recently after many complaints.

1, Didn’t you not have anywhere for the set on Track 3 to go to

2, what crossover

3, what complaints?

I’m just curious because it’s been somewhere around 3 months since I touched the 42nd st shuttle 

8 hours ago, JustTheSIR said:

1, Didn’t you not have anywhere for the set on Track 3 to go to

2, what crossover

3, what complaints?

I’m just curious because it’s been somewhere around 3 months since I touched the 42nd st shuttle 

1. Huh?

2. They should have added in a Diamond crossover between 1 and 4.

3. IIRC there was a lot of complaints that the gaps were still to wide at Times Square and they started installing those watch the gap signs again. They weren’t there a few months ago.

If anyone was unaware, the (F) train was running approximately every 8 minutes this weekend. Throwback to more than a decade ago. I guess it took suspending both the (J) and (M) trains to boost (F) train service. While the trains were still packed to/from Delancey, trains between Queens and Manhattan weren't as crushloaded as they tend to be. I was able to get a seat as well.

On 1/26/2023 at 8:05 PM, trainfan22 said:

Anybody ever notice that the heating sucks in the R160s? That's the biggest improvement the R179 has over the older B div NTT is they are nice and toasty on a cold winter day.

R160s have excellent A/C during the summertime but the heat is nearly nonexistent during the winter.

Personally the R160s are okay with me.  I find myself dashing to/from the subway if I'm taking anything that's not the (7) , because the service is crap (especially off-peak hours), and it seems like the trains are miraculously timed to show up just before the bus, if not at the same time.

I'm a fast walker, and when I walk for a while and then enter the subway car, I heat up almost immediately if I'm at the ends where the ventilation/fans doesn't seem to reach. Now add running to that (even with the temperatures for this time of year), and an even hotter subway car? Oh hell nah, lol.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

On 1/26/2023 at 8:05 PM, trainfan22 said:

Anybody ever notice that the heating sucks in the R160s? That's the biggest improvement the R179 has over the older B div NTT is they are nice and toasty on a cold winter day.

R160s have excellent A/C during the summertime but the heat is nearly nonexistent during the winter.

The heat in the 160s are torture. The 179s are amazing. I hope the 211s will be just as good

Do ya'll think the current NYC Subway Service patterns largely stick around for the next decade outside of temporary service changes for maintenance or system expansion?

I feel like pre-2010 or so, NYC Subway Service patterns were a lot more fluid. The only major service adjustment in the past decade was because of SAS. There are technically ways one could try and de-interline the system to better optimize the system, but the current routing is fine as is and there aren't glaring service problems with "obvious" solutions.

On 1/25/2023 at 11:49 AM, Lawrence St said:

Is there news proof of complaints about the 42nd street (S) because the set up now especially at Time Square is far superior to the old set up. 

The setup now in my opinion is the setup it should have had since the 1910s when through service between the east and west side IRT lines were discontinued. It is easier to catch a train now compared to before. 

The setup now at Times Square makes it that you don’t have to run and pray that you catch the shuttle on Tracks 3 and 4 because of the curve and awkward layout. Plus through the reconstruction we got a connection to the 6th Ave line which is a major plus as I’ve used that passageway plenty of times.

On 1/30/2023 at 11:21 AM, NewFlyer 230 said:

Is there news proof of complaints about the 42nd street (S) because the set up now especially at Time Square is far superior to the old set up. 

The setup now in my opinion is the setup it should have had since the 1910s when through service between the east and west side IRT lines were discontinued. It is easier to catch a train now compared to before. 

The setup now at Times Square makes it that you don’t have to run and pray that you catch the shuttle on Tracks 3 and 4 because of the curve and awkward layout. Plus through the reconstruction we got a connection to the 6th Ave line which is a major plus as I’ve used that passageway plenty of times.

The set up is more customer friendly, but I'm often shocked by how busy the (S) can be despite only connecting 2 stations. Losing the track means no matter what, it's impossible to run as much service as was maximally possible back then.

Also it's no longer a guessing game cause before you'd like have to guess which Shuttle would leave first and hence which platform to stand on, whereas now they share a central platform.

My (4) line delay story:

Arrived at Woodlawn to take the 6:03 AM train to 14 St for work. It didn’t leave at 6:03 and the time on the clocks shifted to 6:13. I was like ok no problem, 6:13 passes and it switches to 6:22. No announcement no nothing, I look up on the (MTA) website and see that there’s a customer injury at 138th St. Conductor finally comes over the loudspeaker and says there’s delays on (4) service and the (4) will end at 149th St, but keeps the train signed up to Crown Heights. 

so here I am freaking out because I’m going to be late for work, trying to find alternatives. I can’t get to Metro North from where I am without taking an Uber. The train finally leaves at 6:22 and by the time we get to 167th St it’s crushloaded. When we got to 161st St the entire platform was crowded and by the time I managed to get out I RAN over to Yankees-E 153rd and missed the train by 30 seconds. I ran back to 161st St and took the (B) which didn’t come for 8 minutes (while 2 (D) trains ran express), finally got to 14th St and had to run all the way to Lexington.

Horrible, horrible day. I seriously do think I need to switch to a reliable form of transportation.

On 1/31/2023 at 9:44 PM, Kamen Rider said:

The two current shuttle trains are six cars each. The old shuttles were three cars on the outside two tracks and four in the middle.

Ether way you slice it, while there are fewer trains running, those trains can carry more people at once.

It’s 10 TPH per track, so 20 TPH for the entire shuttle.

It may carry more people but increases the waiting time one must have to deal with. Back then I used to be able to arrive at GCT or TS and one would be getting ready to leave. Now, I have to wait up to 5-6 minutes.

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

It may carry more people but increases the waiting time one must have to deal with. Back then I used to be able to arrive at GCT or TS and one would be getting ready to leave. Now, I have to wait up to 5-6 minutes.

I think its better now because 

1. Longer trains and more capacity overall (I think)

2. ADA Accessibility

3. One Island Platform instead of three short side platforms and people having to run to a particular track because a train left 2 seconds before you got your foot in the door. Imagine you missing a train on track 1 and then have to high-tail it to track 4 all the way on the other side?

4. A transfer (although only open 6AM to 11:59PM) from Times Square to Bryant Park.

5. The opportunity to truly assemble the platform screen doors at Times Square on the (7) line platform by closing the station all times for X number of months, since people who need Times Square and need ADA Accessibility can just use Grand Central Station to swap between the (7) and (S) (and run the 42 St Shuttle All Times). All other riders can use the 5 Av-Bryant Park Station on the (7) and the passageway to the (B)(D)(F)(M) to get to Times Square.