SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

2 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

As long as these G.O’s are taking place along Queens Blvd over the weekend, I don’t think we will see the (G) return like the good old days. Between 2007-2010 the (G) barely ran to and from Forest Hills except for a handful of times. Even past 2010 how many times has the (E)(F) and (R) ran normal over the weekend? The (M) was even quietly cut after 8:30pm from Forest Hills and service ends to Forest Hills by 10pm so 2 hours were cut. I could be wrong but I think with all the modern tech things have to be inspected more. This weekend there is a G.O’s taking place along Queens Blvd and after this one finishes they immediately jump to doing some other work. The most I think we will see is a slight increase in (R) service.

I can’t see the (J) getting extended because of length the route. 4th Aves issues could be solved if the (R) ran more frequently. Some trains should start and end at South Ferry on the weekend and run to Bay Ridge. 

You can't keep on adding extra (R) trains, It's proven that don't work. We are going to have a huge surplus of 8 car trains once the (C) loses it's 8 car trains. Putting them on the (G) would only create another headache hence why i said its better off being 10 cars. They mind as well extend the (J) for rush hours or Create a shuttle like the old <R>

Once the CBTC east GO is done, They shouldn't any excuses. The (G) needs to return to queens on weekends and nights.

You can add all the additional (R) service in the world and it'll still be terrible.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

You can't keep on adding extra (R) trains, It's proven that don't work. We are going to have a huge surplus of 8 car trains once the (C) loses it's 8 car trains. Putting them on the (G) would only create another headache hence why i said its better off being 10 cars. They mind as well extend the (J) for rush hours or Create a shuttle like the old <R>

Once the CBTC east GO is done, They shouldn't any excuses. The (G) needs to return to queens on weekends and nights.

You can add all the additional (R) service in the world and it'll still be terrible.

And yet when I proposed to convert the remaining R143's and R179's to 5 car sets I was laughed out of the room...

5 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

And yet when I proposed to convert the remaining R143's and R179's to 5 car sets I was laughed out of the room...

Can't really do that unless they order C cars to add into the 4 car consists. It wouldn't surprise me if they did this with the R143s similar to the R142A to R188 conversion. But I doubt it since it would be a waste of money and they can just use the extra 8 car R179s for an extension south of broad st.

On 5/9/2023 at 12:53 AM, Vulturious said:

There's a lot more, but I think you get the gist. I would continue, but I can't in this subforum because of the emote limit in here.

How could you leave out the most duplicitous of them all? Physically separate, identical names, and no disambiguating suffix!

• 23 Street: Lexington Avenue (4)(6); Broadway (N)(Q)(R)(W); 6 Avenue (F)(M); 7 Avenue (1)(2); 8 Avenue (A)(C)(E)
  • 86 Street: Lexington Avenue (4)(5)(6); 2 Avenue (N)(Q)(R); 4 Avenue (R); 7 Avenue (1); Central Park West (A)(B)(C); Sea Beach (N)(W)
    • What’s more, the (N)(Q)(R) stop at an 86 Street twice on some trips.

The royalty of duplicates names. Every train must kiss the hand of 23 Street and 86 Street.

I imagine 23 Street shares the crown if the (7) ever gets extended down there and they don’t try to give it a suffix like 23 Street–Chelsea.

Edited by CenSin

NYCS-bull-trans-SI-d-Std.svg.png?width=6

With the R211S finally powered on and people have caught how the they are programmed, thought I'd make an attempt at an official bullet of the Diamond SI with the orange coloring (used the official 6th Av hex code provided by the MTA for the color). I'll probably change it later on when we get a more up-close look when they're running around either all along the subway system or in Staten Island. 

It's colored orange cause the original person that caught the image of the R211S powered on said it was orange, just giving myself an out.

Edited by Vulturious

10 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

Can't really do that unless they order C cars to add into the 4 car consists. It wouldn't surprise me if they did this with the R143s similar to the R142A to R188 conversion. But I doubt it since it would be a waste of money and they can just use the extra 8 car R179s for an extension south of broad st.

You can still take B cars and add them to the rest to complete a 5 car set. You would have I think 3 cars left over which can be used for the (SF).

22 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

While not necessarily related to this, this is one reason why I would put in the work to get the abandoned portions of Canal Street and Bowery up to snuff and set up Canal Street to be the terminal it once was for trains coming off the Willy B (back when the "express" tracks actually ended at Canal and there was a crossover at the south end of the station).  In this case, it would be where the <R> becomes brown and moves permanently to Nassau, running 19/5 between 95th-Bay Ridge and Canal Street (with scheduled in-service yard runs from and to Broadway Junction on the (J) as this <R> would be based out of East New York yard) and nights and weekends extended to Metropolitan Avenue, absorbing the current night and weekend (M) shuttles. The (J) would in this be shortened to Chambers Street (though during peak hours there would be (J) runs from and to Broad Street to supplement this version of the <R> that would be a max of 8-10 TPH).  That to me would go a long way to straighten out the mess on Broadway as the (W) can become full-time between Whitehall and 71-Continental (possibly with half of the (W) trains starting at 9th Avenue on the (D) and yard runs from and to Stillwell via the (D)) while enough (N) trains are added to properly cover Astoria.  

22 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

16 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

5 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

You can still take B cars and add them to the rest to complete a 5 car set. You would have I think 3 cars left over which can be used for the (SF).

The R143s are already halfway thru their service lives, and they all come in 4 car sets since they were made specifically for the (L) line. Those cars will more than likely be staying right where they are for the rest of their lives, in East NY yard.

We would have a better chance of seeing this happen with the R179s. But whatever the MTA decides to do, they will find a way to better utilize those extra 4 car sets.

14 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

While not necessarily related to this, this is one reason why I would put in the work to get the abandoned portions of Canal Street and Bowery up to snuff and set up Canal Street to be the terminal it once was for trains coming off the Willy B (back when the "express" tracks actually ended at Canal and there was a crossover at the south end of the station).  In this case, it would be where the <R> becomes brown and moves permanently to Nassau, running 19/5 between 95th-Bay Ridge and Canal Street (with scheduled in-service yard runs from and to Broadway Junction on the (J) as this <R> would be based out of East New York yard) and nights and weekends extended to Metropolitan Avenue, absorbing the current night and weekend (M) shuttles. The (J) would in this be shortened to Chambers Street (though during peak hours there would be (J) runs from and to Broad Street to supplement this version of the <R> that would be a max of 8-10 TPH).  That to me would go a long way to straighten out the mess on Broadway as the (W) can become full-time between Whitehall and 71-Continental (possibly with half of the (W) trains starting at 9th Avenue on the (D) and yard runs from and to Stillwell via the (D)) while enough (N) trains are added to properly cover Astoria.  

I'm not against having 4th Avenue local go via Nassau, especially since it runs basically parallel to and makes all the same transfers as the Broadway Line South of Canal St. However, adding more (W) and (N) trains is easier said than done. Increasing (N) to every 3-4 minutes to adequately serve Astoria on it's own would be hard because of DeKalb Junction, and Whitehall St can't terminate that many tph if you're also going to run some trains into Brooklyn since you only have the 1 center track. This might lead to an overabundance of service on a heavily interlined 4th Av, where one screw up causes a back-pedal of delays. Also, I'm not sure how used a (W) via Montague via 4th Av local via West End would be; the rush hour (R) service into Brooklyn pre-2010 budget cuts was basically carrying air. 

7 hours ago, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

I'm not against having 4th Avenue local go via Nassau, especially since it runs basically parallel to and makes all the same transfers as the Broadway Line South of Canal St. However, adding more (W) and (N) trains is easier said than done. Increasing (N) to every 3-4 minutes to adequately serve Astoria on it's own would be hard because of DeKalb Junction, and Whitehall St can't terminate that many tph if you're also going to run some trains into Brooklyn since you only have the 1 center track. This might lead to an overabundance of service on a heavily interlined 4th Av, where one screw up causes a back-pedal of delays. Also, I'm not sure how used a (W) via Montague via 4th Av local via West End would be; the rush hour (R) service into Brooklyn pre-2010 budget cuts was basically carrying air. 

Given that it would serve Midtown and Union Square, its ridership wouldn't be great, but it would maintain a level of viability that anything with more direct ties to the (J) would outright lack (hence that <M> carrying air).

13 hours ago, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

Actually, as I was writing this, I came up with an easier solution:

Since obviously the (N) needs more service to Astoria, what can be done is this:

(W) trains beyond capacity at Whitehall would end on the tunnel level of Canal Street and turn there to go back to 71-Continental (as that would be the terminal on the north end in Queens, the (W) would also become a 19/7 line with the switch to 71-Continental and be based out of Jamaica as the (R) currently is). 

The (N) in this format would have all trains go to Astoria going north while going south:

There would be (N) trains running via the Bridge from and to Stillwell as has always been the case.

There would also be additional (N) service that would run via the tunnel, short-turn to 9th Avenue on the (D) and terminate and begin there.

The main purpose of this is getting the <R> off of Broadway which would make it easier for the other lines and also placate politicians in Bay Ridge who wanted the (R) split to help with the issues at Bay Ridge (shortening the <R> to where it would run via Nassau to Canal on the (J)/(Z) (with in-service yard runs from and to Broadway Junction on the (J)/(Z)) would placate such pols and such an <R> can also be simply extended to Metropolitan nights and weekends and absorb the current night and weekend (M) shuttles.  This <R> would likely have to share service with select (N) trains from 36th to the split in the tunnel at Montague, but it would be far fewer trains in such an interline than now (and on Nassau, this <R> would only interline with a handful of (J) trains that would be extended from and to Broad Street during rush hours as otherwise, it would be set up where going north at Chambers, the (J) would be waiting for the <R> to come in where those going north of Canal can make a simple, cross-platform transfer there with the (J) then departing and after that the <R> crosses over to where most of the time, it terminates on what currently is the northbound track of what used to be the "southbound terminal/express" track at Canal (though such <R> goes first if it is continuing past Canal on a yard run to Broadway Junction or nights and weekends or in an emergency to Metropolitan if the (M) for some reason is out outside of nights and weekends).  Southbound, the <R> would be waiting for the (J) to come in to do the cross-platform transfer for those going south of Chambers or continuing to Brooklyn with that <R> leaving and then the (J) following (including any such that are doing a rush-hour run to and from Broad Street).  

5 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

Since obviously the (N) needs more service to Astoria, what can be done is this:

(W) trains beyond capacity at Whitehall would end on the tunnel level of Canal Street and turn there to go back to 71-Continental (as that would be the terminal on the north end in Queens, the (W) would also become a 19/7 line with the switch to 71-Continental and be based out of Jamaica as the (R) currently is). 

The (N) in this format would have all trains go to Astoria going north while going south:

There would be (N) trains running via the Bridge from and to Stillwell as has always been the case.

There would also be additional (N) service that would run via the tunnel, short-turn to 9th Avenue on the (D) and terminate and begin there.

The main purpose of this is getting the <R> off of Broadway which would make it easier for the other lines and also placate politicians in Bay Ridge who wanted the (R) split to help with the issues at Bay Ridge (shortening the <R> to where it would run via Nassau to Canal on the (J)/(Z) (with in-service yard runs from and to Broadway Junction on the (J)/(Z)) would placate such pols and such an <R> can also be simply extended to Metropolitan nights and weekends and absorb the current night and weekend (M) shuttles.  This <R> would likely have to share service with select (N) trains from 36th to the split in the tunnel at Montague, but it would be far fewer trains in such an interline than now (and on Nassau, this <R> would only interline with a handful of (J) trains that would be extended from and to Broad Street during rush hours as otherwise, it would be set up where going north at Chambers, the (J) would be waiting for the <R> to come in where those going north of Canal can make a simple, cross-platform transfer there with the (J) then departing and after that the <R> crosses over to where most of the time, it terminates on what currently is the northbound track of what used to be the "southbound terminal/express" track at Canal (though such <R> goes first if it is continuing past Canal on a yard run to Broadway Junction or nights and weekends or in an emergency to Metropolitan if the (M) for some reason is out outside of nights and weekends).  Southbound, the <R> would be waiting for the (J) to come in to do the cross-platform transfer for those going south of Chambers or continuing to Brooklyn with that <R> leaving and then the (J) following (including any such that are doing a rush-hour run to and from Broad Street).  

For the <R> i would just make that (J) to Bay Parkway for Rush Hours to help or for all times or cut it short at 9th Ave being that they’re have all R179 

Edited by R179 8258

5 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

Ye this is a much better plan, but the split (W) and (N) would be very annoying, especially the (N) for tourists who don't know what "via Bridge" or "via Tunnel" means.

1 hour ago, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

Ye this is a much better plan, but the split (W) and (N) would be very annoying, especially the (N) for tourists who don't know what "via Bridge" or "via Tunnel" means.

This is about the regular riders mainly.  As this became the norm, they would know outside of overnights, the (N) would have two distinct services:

Via the Bridge, it would be express as it is now (skipping DeKalb and so forth).

Via the Tunnel, it would be local with the (W) and also run via the tunnel and 4th Avenue Local in Brooklyn to 9th Avenue on the (D) and short-turn there.

You could for the "(N) via Tunnel" use another letter if necessary to avoid any potential confusion,

The (W) replaces the (R) from Whitehall to 71st-Continental (with during peak hours some (W) trains ending and beginning on the tunnel level of Canal Street using the lower level City Hall tracks to turn around) and becomes a 19/7 line.  

This is about simplifying Broadway as much as possible otherwise while moving the <R> to Nassau and giving Bay Ridge-area politicians what they seem to want, and that is effectively a split (R) that shows up on 4th Avenue without nearly the delays it often has now.  The route on Nassau I would have would basically have the <R> and (J)/(Z) split from 95th-Bay Ridge to Archer Avenue with southbound Canal (the <R> terminal) being the main transfer point between the lines southbound while northbound Chambers (the (J)/(Z) terminal) being the transfer point between the two (plus a limited number of (J)/(Z) trains operating from and to Broad during rush hours and some <R> trains doing in-service yard runs from and to Broadway Junction on the (J)/(Z)). 

On 5/14/2023 at 4:00 PM, Wallyhorse said:

So basically the return of the (QB67)/(RR67) but short-turning

Knowing how popular the (E) is today in Jamaica along Archer Ave, I wonder how things would have went if the MTA stuck with their plan of having the (N) local *((R)after 1987)* serve Jamaica Center during the day time and (G) at night as a shuttle. 
I would imagine sometime in the early 90s service would have been changed to match what we currently have because there is no way that local set up would have lasted. 

I bring this up because I’m looking at how Jamaica is in the process of be revitalized but in my opinion I’ve always believe that the extension of the Archer Ave line should have included a 168th street Station. I know someone will say the original plan was for the (E) to continue south but that is not going to happen especially with how the LIRR is set up now. If the (E) gets extended one stop to 168th street it closes up the service gap over there in eastern part of Jamaica, allows buses to be rerouted to avoid so much duplicated service and you get rid of the delay the (E) current faces because of where that switch is located between Sutphin Blvd & Parsons Blvd along Archer Ave. 

3 hours ago, JustTheSIR said:

Why am I getting an error saying Vanshnookenraggen’s safety certification is invalid when I try to open the track map?

I get no problem when opening it right now, might be a cache or cookie thing?

7 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Why did the NYCTA move from having the full steel bar turnstyles to the ones we have now? The old ones were MUCH more effective in stopping farebeating since there was no TO farebeat them.

I don't know man, those things are honestly annoying from my experience, I tend to avoid them if I could. While this is pretty effective in stopping farebeating, I think there are ways to have those around that doesn't involve making it look and feel jank going through. 

3 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

I don't know man, those things are honestly annoying from my experience, I tend to avoid them if I could. While this is pretty effective in stopping farebeating, I think there are ways to have those around that doesn't involve making it look and feel jank going through. 

I mean if they maintain them properly they will do fine. These new ones they came out with are horrible.

6 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Knowing how popular the (E) is today in Jamaica along Archer Ave, I wonder how things would have went if the MTA stuck with their plan of having the (N) local *((R)after 1987)* serve Jamaica Center during the day time and (G) at night as a shuttle. 
I would imagine sometime in the early 90s service would have been changed to match what we currently have because there is no way that local set up would have lasted. 

I bring this up because I’m looking at how Jamaica is in the process of be revitalized but in my opinion I’ve always believe that the extension of the Archer Ave line should have included a 168th street Station. I know someone will say the original plan was for the (E) to continue south but that is not going to happen especially with how the LIRR is set up now. If the (E) gets extended one stop to 168th street it closes up the service gap over there in eastern part of Jamaica, allows buses to be rerouted to avoid so much duplicated service and you get rid of the delay the (E) current faces because of where that switch is located between Sutphin Blvd & Parsons Blvd along Archer Ave. 

Jamacia Center was never built to be a terminal station which is why the switch set up is so bad. I feel like the MTA has an obligation to at least research possible solutions to a project they never finished, whether that be rebuilding the switches, adding a 168th St station (or more), or using the tunnels and sealed ramp to connect to take over or run above the LIRR ROW.

With the 63rd St tunnel for instance, once it became clear the super express wasn't happening they did research for what to do with it, which is why it's connected to QBLVD today.

Interesting reddit thread from today that discusses this topic more in depth

Edited by ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ