SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

again... that's subjective that we're doing it too much. Management feels like we're not doing it enough. 

I don’t blame you guys, I blame management. This whole extra stuff needs to stop. The information that people actually need is being drawn out by these unnecessary PSA’s.

1 minute ago, Lawrence St said:

I don’t blame you guys, I blame management. This whole extra stuff needs to stop. The information that people actually need is being drawn out by these unnecessary PSA’s.

again... YOU think they're unnecessary. WE don't. Stop acting like your opinion is fact. 

On 7/3/2023 at 9:23 PM, FLX9304 said:

In 1993, the (NYCT) was adjusting all the doors on the R62 class cars. So all the pops that you was hearing was eliminated. The orange diamonds provided what subway cars were adjusted. the green dot on several R62As mean open width cabs before the 1996. The ones on the (1) were converted to 5 car linked. So they were doing this because of OPTO coming to both the (S) 42nd St and (5) Dyre Ave Shuttle. 

Thanks for the explanation!

While reading your response, I've found three more designations that have stumped me:

img_115414.jpg

In this 1988 photo, 1499 is seen here with a green dot. To my knowledge, there were no transverse cabs since OPTO didn't exist back in 1988.

img_71030.jpg

In this 2009 photo, 1970 has white circles on its yard sticker. From other pictures I've seen from around this timeframe, 1960 and 2040 were other cars that received this white dot.

IMG_8513.jpg

In this photo, 2218 has a light blue dot next to its numberplate. Numerous cars out of 240 received this blue dot.

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

It’s not just me, it’s most of the general public. Ask anyone riding.

I assure you , the average rider does not give a f**k. As long as the beginning of the announcement about the current stop , transfers and next stop can be heard , who cares ?? No one but you , it’s not that deep. 

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

It’s not just me, it’s most of the general public. Ask anyone riding.

The public wants safety, that’s why nobody pays the fare, the MTA is going backwards, there is no change at all, safety is a top priority, MTA has to do a better job to protect its riders, I can’t go way beyond to explain this

Edited by Chris89292

Does anyone else think if the 2010 cuts never happened that the (V) would have lasted well into 2018/2019? 

I say 2018 because of the 14th St tubes, someone would have eventually came up with the idea to reroute the (M) to 96th St as a special service, and later kept it permanent by replacing the entire (V).

17 hours ago, MeeP15-9112 said:

Thanks for the explanation!

While reading your response, I've found three more designations that have stumped me:

img_115414.jpg

In this 1988 photo, 1499 is seen here with a green dot. To my knowledge, there were no transverse cabs since OPTO didn't exist back in 1988.

img_71030.jpg

In this 2009 photo, 1970 has white circles on its yard sticker. From other pictures I've seen from around this timeframe, 1960 and 2040 were other cars that received this white dot.

IMG_8513.jpg

In this photo, 2218 has a light blue dot next to its numberplate. Numerous cars out of 240 received this blue dot.

Good finds. Green dots were options like some of the trains did received dots in order to serve that the car was maintained. OPTO didn’t start on the R62 cars, but on the R62A cars in 1996. Beginning with in 1991, the first 50 cars were converted to 5 car link (1301-1350). 1431-35 and 1436-1440 did not convert but was involved in that Union Sq crash, but only 5 cars were saved. 1431-1434 & 1438 were converted 4 years later. 

Edited by FLX9304

It's safe to say that all R160s 8377 and up is CBTC compatible  (non carnarsie) now. The (M) has been using R160's 8613-8652 and 9943-74 besides the 2 4 car units 9950-54 and another 9900 4 car unit)  for over a month now, I rode on 9960 earlier. This is probably the reason why it was easy to send more R179s back to the (C). Before the (M) was only using 8377-8612. This in turns reduces to spare factor since now the (M) can use the whole ENY R160 fleet besides the ones from the (L).

12 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Does anyone else think if the 2010 cuts never happened that the (V) would have lasted well into 2018/2019? 

I say 2018 because of the 14th St tubes, someone would have eventually came up with the idea to reroute the (M) to 96th St as a special service, and later kept it permanent by replacing the entire (V).

To me when they rerouted the (F) over the 63st tube the (M) should have became the replacement then....Jamaica would have kept their cars and the (G) wouldnt been cut from 6 to 4 cars...Thats just me 

22 hours ago, MeeP15-9112 said:

img_115414.jpg

From this photo, were all the R62 cars back then 1351-1625 (minus 1431-1434, 1438) linked 5-car sets? I remember the 5-car conversion happened on the Bombardier R62A class cars. 

42 minutes ago, Calvin said:

From this photo, were all the R62 cars back then 1351-1625 (minus 1431-1434, 1438) linked 5-car sets? I remember the 5-car conversion happened on the Bombardier R62A class cars. 

The car in front of 1499 in the photo is 1326. The poster who put the photo up said it’s from 1988. So more than likely all of the R62s were still single units in 1988. I say “more than likely,” because although I didn’t ride converted R62s until 1992, it’s possible they may have started converting them from singles to 5-car sets before then.

I rode the (4) to a lot of Yankees games that year and the next and I don’t remember any transverse cabs on the R62 trains then. The first time I rode an R62 (4) train with transverse cabs was in 1992 after coming back to The Bronx from a school tour of Brooklyn Tech. And it looked weird because in the middle was this door with a small rectangular window and to the left of it was a large rounded window. I’d never seen anything like that in the subway before. Because the sign box cabinet door was directly in front of it, you couldn’t really look out the front and you had to be tall to look out the front through the little window in the cab door.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

1 hour ago, biGC323232 said:

To me when they rerouted the (F) over the 63st tube the (M) should have became the replacement then....Jamaica would have kept their cars and the (G) wouldnt been cut from 6 to 4 cars...Thats just me 

They couldn’t really do that back in December 2001 because they still had the <M> in South Brooklyn during midday hours as well as rush to compensate for the (B) and (D) being shut out of Brooklyn until 2004 due to Manhattan Bridge work.

18 minutes ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

They couldn’t really do that back in December 2001 because they still had the <M> in South Brooklyn during midday hours as well as rush to compensate for the (B) and (D) being shut out of Brooklyn until 2004 due to Manhattan Bridge work.

Not really...How was the <M> really helping the (B)(D) at that time even when it ran on 4 av......U still had to make a transfer for mid town and uptown service...Thats why they had the split (B)(D) at that time  for one simple transfer at 34st....

11 minutes ago, randomnewyorker23 said:

the <By> and (D79) were in service in the 80s

It wasnt just the 80s they resorted to this service change....Each time work needed to be done on the bridge one side was lefted opened....There was plenty of times in recent years where  both (B) and (D) terminated at 34st

Edited by biGC323232

1 hour ago, randomnewyorker23 said:

The (V) may have stayed if the (F) stayed on 53rd and the (V) went through the newer 63rd. Then again, 63rd was served by literally every 6th avenue line in the 90s except the (D). think about it, there was the (B), (F) and (Qorange) serving it at different times, and the (M) could’ve went on 63rd as well.

If I'm not mistaken (and someone can correct me on this, maybe Trainmaster since he's been around for decades) and on a technicality, the (V) did run via 63 St normally operated as the Orange S since the 63 St Shuttle was still running around prior to the opening of the connection to and from QBL. However, this was like a week long service and people didn't really like it or rather not deal with the (V) via 63 St and was rerouted to 53 St which has seen more positivity at the time. 

12 hours ago, biGC323232 said:

10 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

There weren’t enough cars in the Eastern Division at the time to warrant the current (M), so they thought it was easier to reduce the (G) to free up cars for the (V)‘s existence.

I believe the only way the current (M) could have existed in December 2001 is if the R27s and R30s (known as the B Division Redbirds) were not permanently retired and that those cars would have been rotated between the (B) and (J)(Z), with the (M) being all R42s like before prior to the R160 phase in.

3 hours ago, Jemorie said:

There weren’t enough cars in the Eastern Division at the time to warrant the current (M), so they thought it was easier to reduce the (G) to free up cars for the (V)‘s existence.

I believe the only way the current (M) could have existed in December 2001 is if the R27s and R30s (known as the B Division Redbirds) were not permanently retired and that those cars would have been rotated between the (B) and (J)(Z), with the (M) being all R42s like before prior to the R160 phase in.

How u figure....M was just an extended line already at eny...not a new line to the yard..(T to dyre also pointed out that the M was Also in south bklyn at that time)...but there where enough cars to warrent the M to run to Bay Parkway ???...Also around that time M trains also ran to Coney and J to 95st Cause of 9/11...

Edited by biGC323232