SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

34 minutes ago, biGC323232 said:

How u figure....M was just an extended line already at eny...not a new line to the yard..(T to dyre also pointed out that the M was Also in south bklyn at that time)...but there where enough cars to warrent the M to run to Bay Parkway ???...Also around that time M trains also ran to Coney and J to 95st Cause of 9/11...

The issue is that the current (M) train runs every 5-7 minutes during rush hours but the old <M> ran every 10-12 minutes all day until 7PM when it became the Myrtle Shuttle.

<M> - Rush Hours - Metropolitan Av to Bay Parkway

(6:40AM to 9AM, 3:30PM to 6:30PM) - every 10 minutes AM Rush, 12 minutes PM rush

- Middays - short turned to Chambers St (9 Av from July 2001 to February 2004), every 10 minutes

- All other times - Shuttle service (after 7:30PM weekdays and all weekend). - from July 2001- February 2004, service ran to Bay Parkway until 10PM - every 12-20 minutes.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greetings to all my fellow posters. I hope you had a safe and wonderful holiday. I personally touched base with 5 of my colleagues from RTO and a retired MS 1 from Car Equipment. My RTO folks are still teasing me about the posters that they call my “ little Lionel’s”. It’s been 15 years of my time on this site and I have some questions for my fellow posters. The questions came in regards to some posts in different threads but I was asked to consolidate them.

1- What is the most important thing down to the least important thing in train operations ?

We were taught that the plant was the most important thing. The plant is track, third rail power, signal system, and switches. The least important component is the equipment. In other words R9-R11 so this obsession with car types is really silly, in our opinion.

2- Two of us had the same motor instructor in our conductor’s class and he taught my motorman class as well. He was a Marine Corps drill instructor before coming to Transit. He emphasized that he saw a decline in general intelligence over the years. To him it didn’t matter where we came from or what race we were. He was fair and tolerant to a certain point. He tried to distinguish between ignorant questions and flat out stupid ones. My friends say that’s why the school car instructors started assigning students to me for road instruction. I never asked for them but a friend who was a school car instructor and later a Superintendent told me when I told him that I was going to retire. He was there when the motor instructor told our conductor class that we were going to be doing extra work. He pointed out to us that trains had been running for years with no announcements from the conductor. Most of my youth was spent on that equipment so I understood what he meant. The next thing he said to us about the conductor position was both sad and funny. He said that the general public would find excuses for trains with no announcements and that eventually the conductor would have to walk people to their front doors. 😂 Heck the trains weren’t even air conditioned back then.

B

3- Someone pointed out to me that they’ve seen some particularly bad rerouting proposals and after reading them I wonder if the people who come up with these ideas even ride the system or look at Google Maps or something similar and then post these ideas. The one that was pointed out to me was a proposal to run the (3) to the Bronx and have it run up Third Avenue. As my friend pointed out that is grounds for an immediate drug test if any  RTO employees suggested that. Heading n/b Third Avenue, the street, is about 4 car lengths from the 10 car marker IIRC. There used to be an underpass to cross under the s/b track and it led to the street exit and the Third Avenue El. I know that for a fact because I was a provisional Railroad Porter back in’ 68 and cleaned that station a few times before the underpass was sealed up.

3- what my contemporaries have noticed is that people are blaming delays and such on the R46 and the R60 class of cars. We look at the (MTA) website and see delays caused by vandalism, disruptive people, switch or signal problems, brakes activated or the occasional “ network communications issues. Seems like some people want to get rid of the older equipment not realizing that the new equipment will probably have the same problems. Meanwhile my colleagues are waiting for all the new equipment to get here. They want to know if Central or Prospect Parks are being eyed for new storage facilities and maintenance barns. Don’t take my posts as pro or anti positions but as questions I’ve been asked. Be safe and carry on.

Before I leave my friends and I would like to thank RTOMan and Kamen Rider for their updates.

Edited by Trainmaster5
Final thoughts

https://www.nytransitmuseum.org/program/nostalgia-redbirds/

The (7) is confirmed to have the Train of Many Colors as an appearance on the Flushing Line, Saturday, November 4th in the fall season this year. Nice to see that they are bringing the old equipment back to this line as a special. 

Edited by Calvin

26 minutes ago, Calvin said:

https://www.nytransitmuseum.org/program/nostalgia-redbirds/

The (7) is confirmed to have the Train of Many Colors as an appearance on the Flushing Line. Nice to see that they are bringing the old equipment back to this line as a special. 

I'm wondering, how would nostalgia trains work with CBTC signaling given that the old signals are ripped out? I get that garbage/work trains run at night but that's when the (7) is running at a high headway.

2 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

I'm wondering, how would nostalgia trains work with CBTC signaling given that the old signals are ripped out? I get that garbage/work trains run at night but that's when the (7) is running at a high headway.

Wasn’t there an R62A transfer that occurred during day time? It had no problem running on CBTC tracks, maybe they found a way to run non CBTC trains, it’s not like their banned from running on the (7), the old equipment can’t communicate control center remotely like the R188’s do (if that’s how CBTC works) 

okay, here's how all this works. 

The trains in CBTC territory are in communication with lineside "Zone Controllers", the computers that give them the clearance to move. No clearance, you're not going anywhere without an override from control. 

The zone controllers talk to all the trains at once and know where each one is, which is how we can maintain safe spacing. 

A train that isn't or can't talk to the zone controllers is referred to as "Non-reporting". 

Because the zone controllers can't tell exactly where it is, it basically gums up the works.

Non-reporting trains are sent down CBTC territory all the time. It's just when you're in a situation where you need the full benefits of the moving block system, one of those trains showing up throws all that away. 

But when you don't need CBTC's full power, you can get away with it. for example, the "7 Ash". The garbage train that is based out Corona Yard that handles the Flushing and Astoria lines. and yes, "7 Ash" is what it's called.  that operates over CBTC rails but does not use CBTC compatible trains. 

22 hours ago, Ale188 said:

I ain’t the only one who lacks common sense here. And talkin about facts, I kinda said some of those in my last post. Yeah, sure they might all not be true, and idc about that. And whatcha tryin to do now? f**kin CYBERBULLY me? I’m a grown adult and I can read and comprehend. It’s just y’all take shit to the next level and then try to make me the guilty one. I say one thing that don’t make sense to me and y’all try to spazz out about it. Like I said in the last post, I ain’t an expert at this type of shit. I’m literally a lil bit more than average. Some of y’all are just selfish and really care about yourselves so much y’all want to win against somebody else. I ain’t that way tbh. And sometimes y’all want other people to support y’all in arguments even though nobody is gonna pick a side! I ain’t tryin to win this argument, hell, I don’t even need supporters, but I’m just trying to tell y’all about why I thought what I thought. If we gonna continue on with this, I’m gonna leave (not the website but the argument) with at least something. And if you want backup, look at my argument with Bill a while ago. I lost, but it was kinda worth the loss. So don’t try to backfire shit at me even though it was kinda worthless for you to say. You sometimes need to keep your opinions to yourself and u don’t gotta say them out loud. You need to start doing so cuz talkin about my cons, you have some too clearly. You don’t know how to keep your opinions to yourself. Might as well do so starting now. Continuing…

If you were truly able to read & comprehend, you would not have interpreted this entire situation the way that you have. By stating that 'you're a grown adult', you just proved that I have once again underestimated the immaturity levels that exist in this community. Being an adult clearly has not made you mature. Like I said before, you need to grow up.

17 minutes ago, RandomRider0101 said:

If you were truly able to read & comprehend, you would not have interpreted this entire situation the way that you have. By stating that 'you're a grown adult', you just proved that I have once again underestimated the immaturity levels that exist in this community. Being an adult clearly has not made you mature. Like I said before, you need to grow up.

Wrong thread buddy…wrong thread. 

45 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

There was a rerouted R179 (C) that signed up as the (F) running via IND South Brooklyn to Church Av. 

IMG_1512.png?width=1440&height=665

This was around 3PM, went back in service as the (F) then back as the (C) at Jay St. 

It crazy that there's always an railfan around to catch these one off rare occurrence. I remember when I was on an (B) that went via Culver there was railfans filming the train at the stop in that photo.

On 7/5/2023 at 9:21 PM, T to Dyre Avenue said:

The car in front of 1499 in the photo is 1326. The poster who put the photo up said it’s from 1988. So more than likely all of the R62s were still single units in 1988. I say “more than likely,” because although I didn’t ride converted R62s until 1992, it’s possible they may have started converting them from singles to 5-car sets before then.

I rode the (4) to a lot of Yankees games that year and the next and I don’t remember any transverse cabs on the R62 trains then. The first time I rode an R62 (4) train with transverse cabs was in 1992 after coming back to The Bronx from a school tour of Brooklyn Tech. And it looked weird because in the middle was this door with a small rectangular window and to the left of it was a large rounded window. I’d never seen anything like that in the subway before. Because the sign box cabinet door was directly in front of it, you couldn’t really look out the front and you had to be tall to look out the front through the little window in the cab door.

Began in the summer of 1991, R62s 1301-1310 were the first 10 cars to convert to 5 linked. Only 1431-1440 wasn’t done until 1994. 1431-1434 & 1438. 1435-37, 1439-1440 were damaged in the Union Sq fatal accident in August 1991. 

There was a (B) train that run on the (Q) line today but past afternoon. Although, that (B) train was a fill-in for a (Q) train that did not have a train in-service for the 3:24 PM run to 96 St from the Coney Island terminal. 

On 7/7/2023 at 10:18 PM, CenSin said:

“Ash” is the name of the letter “Æ.” I can’t imagine a two-letter bullet with “7Æ” in it though.

Ash as in the ashes left over from coal burning stoves that used to be in stations. hence why it's the garbage train. Why it's not another "Pick Up" I don't know. maybe someone just wanted to be different. 

2 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

Ash as in the ashes left over from coal burning stoves that used to be in stations. hence why it's the garbage train. Why it's not another "Pick Up" I don't know. maybe someone just wanted to be different. 

That sounds like the aftermath of a dumpster fire. lol

So I recently bought a NYC Subway Train Tracker, and have to say I've quite enjoyed it and it seems pretty accurate - they use live data feeds from the MTA.

One question though is the Train Tracker seems to have trouble distinguishing between (2) and (5) trains in the Bronx. In Brooklyn along Nostrand Av, it always gets it right, but it'll often show (5) trains running up to Nereid Avenue when there are none. Is this an error on the Train Tracker's part, or does the MTA internally designate some (2) trains that may be going back to the yard as (5) or smtg?

The train tracker is fun cause it shows you just how many (7) trains the MTA runs, especially during rush hours where almost the entire line is lit up.