All the R46’s get serviced at Pitkin. 

240th (1) R62A’s

Livonia (3)(S) (42nd street) R62/R62A’s

Westchester (6) R62A’s

Jerome (4) R142/R142A’s

Corona (7) R188’s

238th street (2) R142’s 

E.180th  (5) R142’s

Okay, maybe I should reword my question. 

How many subway barns are unable to maintain separate parts for more than one fleet?

For example, Concourse only maintains one fleet and still is overwhelmed due to the barn shop's size being too small. I'm wondering if there are other barns in the system that have the same or similar limitations.

207th doesn't maintain 10 car trains since the shop building isn't long enough to hold full 600 ft trains. When R46s are used on the (C) , they are only stored in the yard & are not maintained by the shop.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Why is SIRTOA treated as its own separate system when it should be incorporated into NYCT? Makes no sense having 200 hourly employees for one line when it should be incorporated under NYCT as the D division.

Money is the issue. the (NYCT) is NOT gonna waste manpower shifting equipment from one train yard to another to satisfy those out in Staten Island. If the geniuses would’ve extended the subways to Staten Island, then it would’ve done that a long time ago. So what you see is what you get. 

51 minutes ago, FLX9304 said:

Money is the issue. the (NYCT) is NOT gonna waste manpower shifting equipment from one train yard to another to satisfy those out in Staten Island. If the geniuses would’ve extended the subways to Staten Island, then it would’ve done that a long time ago. So what you see is what you get. 

Why would they? 

With this merger, every SIRTOA employee goes under NYCT, and to qualify for the D division, you need to have the respective FRA requirements in order to qualify there. Other then the usual equipment moves to/from CIY for heavy shop work, money isn't the issue. This would actually save them money.

35 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Why would they? 

With this merger, every SIRTOA employee goes under NYCT, and to qualify for the D division, you need to have the respective FRA requirements in order to qualify there. Other then the usual equipment moves to/from CIY for heavy shop work, money isn't the issue. This would actually save them money.

Sorry, that would’ve worked moons ago. Staten Island are NIMBYs and they’re not gonna have it that way

5 minutes ago, FLX9304 said:

Sorry, that would’ve worked moons ago. Staten Island are NIMBYs and they’re not gonna have it that way

Why the hell would they have a say in this? This increases the SIR's roster by nearly 3000 employees and there would be no more missed trains. In fact, this allows for a service increase.

Let it be known that I was an idiot this morning on the Brighton Line.

1. (Q) train has a door problem at Newkirk Plaza. (B) train shows up. Okay. No biggie. I need to be at Chambers Street and would rather bet on the door problem clearing up than take the (6) 2 extra stops.
  2. Then the next (B) arrives. Well… the door problem has got to be fixed soon right? I stay on the (Q). I also see another (Q) holding behind us.
  3. Then I see a (Q) arriving on the express track! Alright, so I run across the platform to the express (Q). Surely that problem is going to take a while longer. The local (Q) leaves the station and the express (Q) holds in the station.
  4. The (Q) that was stuck behind arrives across the platform. I get on that train instead after having been burned by 3 bad bets. And then… what do you know? It moves and crawls into Parkside Avenue. The express (Q) also started moving, pulling a little ahead of us.

I don’t know if it’s some kind of iron rule at the MTA, but it seems they do not like trains arriving out of order. They held that express (Q) and let the local one into Prospect Park first.

Edited by CenSin

9 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Why the hell would they have a say in this? This increases the SIR's roster by nearly 3000 employees and there would be no more missed trains. In fact, this allows for a service increase.

It’s also the GOP politicians out there in Staten Island that they will not have that. They rather deal with their express buses than have a subway there. These people don’t wanna fork a billion dollars to turn SIR into a regular subway run. But you also gotta look at 500,000 ppl in that borough. 

10 minutes ago, CenSin said:

1. (Q) train has a door problem at Newkirk Plaza. (B) train shows up. Okay. No biggie. I need to be at Chambers Street and would rather bet on the door problem cleaning up than take the (6) 2 extra stops.
  2. Then the next (B) arrives. Well… the door problem has got to be fixed soon right? I stay on the (Q). I also see another (Q) holding behind us.
  3. Then I see a (Q) arriving on the express track! Alright, so I run across the platform to the express (Q). Surely that problem is going to take a while longer. The local (Q) leaves the station and the express (Q) holds in the station.
  4. The (Q) that was stuck behind arrives across the platform. I get on that train instead after having been burned by 3 bad bets. And then… what do you know? It moves and crawls into Parkside Avenue. The express (Q) also started moving, pulling a little ahead of us.

I don’t know if it’s some kind of iron rule at the MTA, but it seems they do not like trains arriving out of order. They held that express (Q) and let the local one into Prospect Park first.

Don’t call yourself an idiot, a moron, a dolt and a simpleton. That’s the MTA’s ideology for you to run late no matter what time it is. It happened to me on last month on the (A) during my ride from 207th to Euclid Ave, looking for a few R211s in service (only one was: 4090-4094+4125-4129). The rest was R179s and R46s. The train went slow from 59th St in Manhattan all the way to Euclid making congestions 

(R)

(E)

(A)

(L) 

(L)

(Y)

(S)

(L)

(O)

(W)

Edited by FLX9304

On 10/16/2023 at 8:51 PM, Trainmaster5 said:

Maybe someone can help me out with this question. I am reading about a G.O. on the (5) this evening and it gives approximate times for the last departure from certain stops. Unless my eyes are missing something it states that the last northbound departure from Bowling Green is at 9:10 pm and 9:35 pm from Grand Central. How does it take 25 minutes to travel between these two stations ? Am I missing something here ? It used to take me about 25 minutes to go from Bowling Green to 138th - GC at that time of the evening. Bowling Green to Grand Central was a 12 minute trip on the schedule. Maybe someone has some insight into what’s going on here ? Carry on.

That’s an error on their part. The 9:10pm train from Bowling Green and the 9:35pm from Grand Central-42nd Street are two separate trains. The 9:10pm train from Bowling Green arrives at Grand Central at 9:22pm. Then there’s the 9:14pm train from Bowling Green that arrives at Grand Central at 9:27pm. The last train from Bowling Green is at 9:23pm, arriving at Grand Central at 9:35pm.

6 hours ago, CenSin said:

1. (Q) train has a door problem at Newkirk Plaza. (B) train shows up. Okay. No biggie. I need to be at Chambers Street and would rather bet on the door problem clearing up than take the (6) 2 extra stops.

It's not just trains. Ask the bus people about overtaking their leaders.

8 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

It’s also the GOP politicians out there in Staten Island that they will not have that. They rather deal with their express buses than have a subway there. These people don’t wanna fork a billion dollars to turn SIR into a regular subway run. But you also gotta look at 500,000 ppl in that borough. 

And this is exactly why politics should not have a say in transportation. 

5 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

And this is exactly why politics should not have a say in transportation. 

Politics shouldn’t have a say in a lot of things in my opinion, but that is just how it is. I am glad Cuomo got kicked out of office before we ended up spending millions for a useless Airtrain to Mets-Willets Point. If it can’t reach Flushing Main Street then it shouldn’t exist. Then the MTA would have been forced to move Casey Stengel bus depot somewhere else as well costing even more money. 
But then you have other useless projects that the city waste money on like the Highline extension when we should have been using that same money to get some more homeless off the subways and or improve transit somehow. 

5 hours ago, Far rockaway said:

The Manhattan Bound (7) train station platform closures at 111st and 82ndst has been extended till early 2024.

The contractors are failing both the (J) and (7) riders, how can they not finish this project yet, especially the 75th street station on the (J). The mta should pressure these contractors

The MTA has some new public service announcements in some trains, highlighting the issue of "courtesy", such as not taking up excess seating or playing loud music. It is interesting that one of the posters highlights "smoking" as being discourteous. Unlike loud music and laying on the seats, smoking on the trains and in underground subway stations is a CRIME, and it is too bad that the MTA has downplayed it in this manner.

My recent complaint (one of many) to the MTA received a response which seemed to be authors by a real human (as opposed to being a boilerplate response), and in that response, it was mentioned that the NYPD will be "using their discretion" when encountering people smoking on platforms and trains.

While the problem of smoking is not as serious as the problem of the three dozen people who have been shoved onto the tracks in the past two years, or the problem of the intelligent youth who videotape themselves passing away while sitting on the roofs of trains, it is still disheartening that the MTA doesn't see smoking as a serious issue. I will probably abandon the subway as a form of transportation in NYC if this keeps up much longer. 

14 hours ago, Outerbridge said:

The MTA has some new public service announcements in some trains, highlighting the issue of "courtesy", such as not taking up excess seating or playing loud music. It is interesting that one of the posters highlights "smoking" as being discourteous. Unlike loud music and laying on the seats, smoking on the trains and in underground subway stations is a CRIME, and it is too bad that the MTA has downplayed it in this manner.

My recent complaint (one of many) to the MTA received a response which seemed to be authors by a real human (as opposed to being a boilerplate response), and in that response, it was mentioned that the NYPD will be "using their discretion" when encountering people smoking on platforms and trains.

While the problem of smoking is not as serious as the problem of the three dozen people who have been shoved onto the tracks in the past two years, or the problem of the intelligent youth who videotape themselves passing away while sitting on the roofs of trains, it is still disheartening that the MTA doesn't see smoking as a serious issue. I will probably abandon the subway as a form of transportation in NYC if this keeps up much longer. 

You abandoning the subway wouldn’t solve anything at all 😂 it’s not like the MTA will ever be the greatest transportation system in the world, they’ve been so bad for years, nothing has improved except for signal replacements to CBTC, and subway fleet replacement.