SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

as im noticing this (7) train in 11 cars, how does the c/r open/close the doors for passengers as this is a Main St Exp in all singles?:

2000-1999-1998-1997-1996.1947.2121-2122-2123-2124-2125

*srry if theres no photo, the (7) EXP ran in full speed and is blurry

I saw that train today, I was shocked to see 1996 in the front. They open/close the doors by moving inbetween cars, the same way they do it for the (C) .

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can someone explain why the (1) is going express from 34th Street to 14th Street and the (2) and (3) are going local from 34th Street to Chambers Street? I heard the announcement that it was for construction purposes, but why the swap? I even asked an (MTA) worker and he, like me, had no idea.

To spell it out in gory detail:

• The 1 has to eventually be on the southbound express track at 14th St. to terminate. It can cross to the express either just north of 14th or just south of 42nd.
  • The 2/3, then, has to be on the local - both to serve the local stops south of 14th and to get past the 1 train that is blocking the express track. But there's no way for a southbound train to cross from express to local just north of 14th, so the 2/3 crosses to the local just north or 34th (and in the past it's sometimes crossed north of 96th).
  • So why peel the 1 off to the express at 42nd rather than at 14th? So that, if it has to wait a few minutes for a northbound train to leave 14th, it won't delay 2/3 trains.
  • That logic doesn't apply northbound - seemingly, the 1 could run local along with the 2/3 from 14th to 34th. I suppose it doesn't to maintain a consistent service pattern, or perhaps running it local would add just enough running time to require another crew.

Thanks for the info, guys. I wish they would've told everyone that trains are only running at 14th on the southbound side. I had to watch a train leave and see the next one pull in and not come to the northbound side to realize this. Curious as well as to how 137th and 215th handle (1) trains terminating there when there's no middle track in use.

I wasn't there this weekend, but the previous weekend there were lots of signs on the northbound platform directing people to the southbound. I don't know if anybody looked at them, but they were there.

At 137th, trains relay north of the station. I don't think trains turn at 215th - I believe the trains that terminate there are typically layups.

Because there's no REASON to use the relay.

The only reason I can think of is the signage in the mezzanine.

Correct. Alabama Av has been an "all trains stop" station for at least the past couple of years.

Unofficially. All of the system maps, all of the (rider-oriented) station signage, and all of the R160 programs treat Alabama as a J-only stop. I've heard that Z trains stop there as a courtesy to NYCT employees based out of the nearby transit facilities. (Which, frankly, in my opinion, is bunk - trains shouldn't be routinely making extra stops as special favors.)

I love how the (C) shares ridership with the (B) on Central Park West, the (E) on 8th Avenue and counters the (A) throughout its entire run as its local Manhattan/Brooklyn version. That's the type of suplementary or interconnecting service I like in the subway. I also love the (N) and (R) for this reason, though only if the (N) ran express in Manhattan again as well as skipping 49th Street via the express tracks through said stop and 57th Street-7th Avenue. That is why those four routes are my favorite.

I love how most customers on 8th Ave go completely apeshit when my (C) connects with an (A) N/B. They rush onto that (A) and my almost empty (C) still beats it to 168 St. I do have some loyal customers who are smarter and always stay on my train, even if they're going to 125 or 145.

I love how most customers on 8th Ave go completely apeshit when my (C) connects with an (A) N/B. They rush onto that (A) and my almost empty (C) still beats it to 168 St. I do have some loyal customers who are smarter and always stay on my train, even if they're going to 125 or 145.

When does your (C) run?

No more (C) for me .... got picked out of that job starting Sunday.

Okay, I get that you are rail enthusists. I am too. But seriously.....you can't find anything better to do at 1AM on a Friday morning that put on a (D) tshirt and jump on and off my train at every stop between 72 St and 135 St taking photos? It's not like the (D) running local on CPW is a once in a life time occasion (we're doing it all afternoon on Saturday!)

Okay, I get that you are rail enthusists. I am too. But seriously.....you can't find anything better to do at 1AM on a Friday morning that put on a (D) tshirt and jump on and off my train at every stop between 72 St and 135 St taking photos? It's not like the (D) running local on CPW is a once in a life time occasion (we're doing it all afternoon on Saturday!)

Nailed it lmao

Lol what's your next pick? I wanna harass you some more xD

I know who that is you're talking about, he's just like that. 

What's the occasion Saturday, another concert in the park? Could there be an R68A (C) put-in like last time?

Guest Lance

What's the occasion Saturday, another concert in the park? Could there be an R68A (C) put-in like last time?

Nah, nothing that spectacular or interesting. Just the normal track maintenance.

Couldn't have been me because I've gotten home before that time (12:45 AM) and why would I go that crazy by getting off every stop like that? I don't even go that far. And I was really tired yesterday. SMH

Do we have to make a scene every time some kid is goofy on the subway? Half of the so-called foamers have mental problems (see Darius himself), and it's just not that funny when you're making fun of somebody for something they don't know is out of line.

Oh, so it was YOU then?

Do forgive me about the expletive, but

tpp1.jpg

What were pantographs used for, and why don't the R142/143/160 use them? I'd never bothered thinking about it until now. 

Pantograph gates were installed at a time where the MTA was real concerned about people falling out between subway cars (they acted like gates, at least on the NYC subway). Now, I believe they just use chain gates, which can be seen on the NTTs, and they don't need pantographs on the bulkheads of the trains, since it is impossible to pass from A-car to A-car (even the BMT/IND equipment from R44-R68 don't have pantograph gates if I'm not mistaken doe).

On a side note, one week till the (G) weekend closures start! Wonder if 21st St. will be rehabbed finally...

Edited by mtattrain

OK Snowblock.

I said this before sir, with all due respect I can understand that you may be going through hard times in your life and your job I will have to assume but please give it a break already. If railfanners pisses you so much then why are you still even here? 

I always thought the pantograph gates fit the 32s the best... Adds to that gritty look.

As for the slants, it definitely made for a more interesting/intimidating look. Especially when viewing them from the side where the slant ends would meet.

Edited by Jamaica Line

Oh, so it was YOU then?

Lol nah just messing around, I was at a boring orientation yesterday.

OK Snowblock.

I said this before sir, with all due respect I can understand that you may be going through hard times in your life and your job I will have to assume but please give it a break already. If railfanners pisses you so much then why are you still even here?

Maybe (1) the MTA is a good/ his only source of income (2) in today's world jobs are hard to come by and (3) why does it concern you? You're not forced to read his post.

IMO, the amounts of longer express runs I consider are on the (4), (5), (A) and (D). I would also include the (N) if it ran express in Manhattan again and also skip 49th Street as well as stopping at 57th Street-7th Avenue via the express tracks all the way.

To spell it out in gory detail:

• The 1 has to eventually be on the southbound express track at 14th St. to terminate. It can cross to the express either just north of 14th or just south of 42nd.
  • The 2/3, then, has to be on the local - both to serve the local stops south of 14th and to get past the 1 train that is blocking the express track. But there's no way for a southbound train to cross from express to local just north of 14th, so the 2/3 crosses to the local just north or 34th (and in the past it's sometimes crossed north of 96th).
  • So why peel the 1 off to the express at 42nd rather than at 14th? So that, if it has to wait a few minutes for a northbound train to leave 14th, it won't delay 2/3 trains.
  • That logic doesn't apply northbound - seemingly, the 1 could run local along with the 2/3 from 14th to 34th. I suppose it doesn't to maintain a consistent service pattern, or perhaps running it local would add just enough running time to require another crew.

I wasn't there this weekend, but the previous weekend there were lots of signs on the northbound platform directing people to the southbound. I don't know if anybody looked at them, but they were there.

At 137th, trains relay north of the station. I don't think trains turn at 215th - I believe the trains that terminate there are typically layups.

The only reason I can think of is the signage in the mezzanine.

Unofficially. All of the system maps, all of the (rider-oriented) station signage, and all of the R160 programs treat Alabama as a J-only stop. I've heard that Z trains stop there as a courtesy to NYCT employees based out of the nearby transit facilities. (Which, frankly, in my opinion, is bunk - trains shouldn't be routinely making extra stops as special favors.)

tell that to the LIRR thay have been making extra stops at Hillside for years...

ScreechyFlange, on 29 Jun 2013 - 4:01 PM, said:

Maybe (1) the MTA is a good/ his only source of income (2) in today's world jobs are hard to come by and (3) why does it concern you? You're not forced to read his post.

Now was I talking to you?

I am entitled to my opinion in speaking for other railfanners that are not too happy with his verbal beatdown on those who take this on as a hobby. I tried to speak to him but hey he's got to vent. And so I am trying to give him some insight here. Like I even owe you an explanation.

Got a problem with that?

Now let Snowblock respond and speak for himself.

OK Snowblock.

Edited by realizm