SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it possible for the MTA to use locomotives for revenue service if the power on a certain line or in a certain are gets knocked out

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk now Free

Yes, it was done on SIR after a snow storm....

Also done on a fan trip with one of those old BMT cars....

Edited by trainfan22

I was on the holiday train today and a transit worker who works at 207th St answered many of my questions:

Concerning the preservation of R1 #103;

I just put it in the shop to get repainted

Car assignment changes?

Besides the R62As to the (6) and the R188s to the (7) nothing else.

CLASSIFIED INFO

R110A set 8006-8010 from 239 St has been moved to 207 St to be converted to pump cars like the other set.

Repainting of R36WF 9586-9587;

Probably going to be repainted red not blue and white like 9306.

R143 #8277-8280 at 207;

Getting repaired, will take some time

R17/R21 @ Concourse;

Probably going to be scrapped at some point later; hoped they could be saved

Scrappings?

Nothing being scrapped at the moment

R179 Car assignment

Not sure yet, possibly the (A), but problem with the power from LIPA in the Rockaways like the R160s had. Possibly in service to Lefferts, but it would be a problem if the train had to be rerouted.

How would later car orders work out?

Possibly with different power

Are the R12/R14 @ 207th going to be preserved?

I think so

With the R156s coming will the older locomotives be scrapped?

Probably not, the R156s aren't working out that well , they can't pull that many cars, maybe a few flatbed cars?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

If the R179s can't run on the (A), would it work if Concourse sent their R68/As to the (A) while the (D) runs R179s?

Then again I hurt Concourse did not take any R160s so they might not take any R179s either.

In regards to R179's on either IND line(s) : It depends on how the car is eventually built. If it can handle the different voltages on the Rockaways, as it is powered by LIPA, (A problem with the R160 order from the 30 day on the IND line) then It could work on the (A) . The (D) ? Definitely, in my opinion.

Note:This is not where I found out about the R110As

For those interested as per my contacts:

R110A 8006-10 were on the move tonight, 239th to 207th St Yards, they were part of a tow job.

According to the contact, Museum R33's 9010-11 and 9206-07 took up the south end with 8006-10 behind them, and a single R33 Work Motor on the north, 93xx (don't have a number handy). 8006-10 have an appointment with the shop as these too (in addition to 8001-05) will be converted to a pump train. Very interesting indeed.

I was expecting a diesel tow, wasn't expecting Museum Cars to take up the run.

---

The R188's: several are currently residing at Pitkin Yard, for testing and other work.

7216-20 with 7899

7822-26

Newly Delivered 7833-37.

As 7833-37 were towed dead last week, they were sent down to Pitkin to be made functional and they too would undergo testing.

Keeping any eye on 239th St Yard, nothing else seems to be happening with the R188 Deliveries at the moment.

Last item: R142A 7242 has a date at the Kawasaki Plant. It was spotted on Wednesday in the vicinity of Van Cortlandt Park, headed to Yonkers.

This is courtesy of Stef of subchat.

I was on the holiday train today and a transit worker who works at 207th St answered many of my questions:

Concerning the preservation of R1 #103;

I just put it in the shop to get repainted

Read somewhere that there was also a bent frame on car 103. They'll be working on it. Hope one day they'll work on the Low-V World's Fair car also at 207th Street. 

Car assignment changes?

Besides the R62As to the (6) and the R188s to the (7) nothing else.

Cool.

CLASSIFIED INFO

R110A set 8006-8010 from 239 St has been moved to 207 St to be converted to pump cars like the other set.

The move was done a couple of nights ago, as per Stef on Subchat - R33ML cars 9010-11 and 9206-07 and a work R33WF made the move. I thought there was a plan to keep two cars (an A-unit and a B-unit) but I guess the plans changed.

Repainting of R36WF 9586-9587;

Probably going to be repainted red not blue and white like 9306.

To add, the other Redbird pairs at Concourse Yard are supposedly going to get the same treatment eventually. I think the idea is to send each pair to be fix up one at a time. The R36ML pair outside the museum is also included in this, I believe.

R143 #8277-8280 at 207;

Getting repaired, will take some time

They've been working on that set for ages.

R17/R21 @ Concourse;

Probably going to be scrapped at some point later; hoped they could be saved

In my opinion, probably not, unfortunately. They removed their windows, as well as rollsigns (and one number board from the R17)  years ago, and all the elements have gotten into the car. The R21 in particular last I heard, had an anticlimber missing. And someone years ago posted a picture of its interior. It was a big big mess. If anything, they could salvage the cars for parts of something for other preserved cars.

Scrappings?

Nothing being scrapped at the moment

Last cars scrapped - R27 8145 and R30 8463 last October. There are a few other cars that are set for scrap, like R22 7486 at 207th Street and R36WF cars 9582-83 at Unionport Yard, which were vandalized and have a window missing. We'll see what happens.

R179 Car assignment

Not sure yet, possibly the (A), but problem with the power from LIPA in the Rockaways like the R160s had. Possibly in service to Lefferts, but it would be a problem if the train had to be rerouted.

Hmmm, I thought they fixed that issue?

How would later car orders work out?

Possibly with different power

Sounds vague, but interesting.

Are the R12/R14 @ 207th going to be preserved?

I think so

They are preserved, last I remember hearing.

With the R156s coming will the older locomotives be scrapped?

Probably not, the R156s aren't working out that well , they can't pull that many cars, maybe a few flatbed cars?

Heard this elsewhere also. The overall consensus on these locomotives - they suck.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

All my comments in Blue. Thanks for sharing!

All my comments in Blue. Thanks for sharing!

I've noticed the R156 isn't running on the Siemens SITRAC AC propulsion that are quote on quote 'tested and proven' on the R160's. This is why I didn't see R156 6 cylinder diesel electrics pulling alot of cargo. Without weight attached however they can accelerate pretty quickly.

I've noticed the R156 isn't running on the Siemens SITRAC AC propulsion that are quote on quote 'tested and proven' on the R160's. This is why I didn't see R156 6 cylinder diesel electrics pulling alot of cargo. Without weight attached however they can accelerate pretty quickly.

I noticed this too, whenever an R156 is making a move, there aren't many cars in the consists.  I heard they can't pull or push many cars.

Yes, it was done on SIR after a snow storm....

Also done on a fan trip with one of those old BMT cars....

Staten island's locos are are pretty much standard grade locomotives and are possible to to that. The ones we have in the subway on the other hand, are smaller in size and aren't able to pull an entire train on its own. If you ever noticed when they bring out the continuous welded rail cars, there's always 2 diesels doing the job and those cars are pretty much just frame now

So a friends of mine put me on to this app called Blip Rail. Its takes the schedule of the trains and puts each one on a subway map based on where its scheduled to be. Each train moves along the map in real time, the timing is off on a few spots here and there, but it works for the most part.

It does not show trains based on a G.O or anything, it shoes what and where it would normally be on a normal day. Also it does not show trains at terminals, once it gets there, it disappears...

1452344_10202040605851041_661343407_n.jp

No complaints from me so far

I noticed today on MTA subway time that it looked like the (3) train was on an 8 min headway.Its usually 12 on Sunday.Can anyone confirm this and the reason why it was done?

While i was going to work this afternoon i noticed it too...i didn't question it since its less waiting time for me lol

I noticed today on MTA subway time that it looked like the (3) train was on an 8 min headway.Its usually 12 on Sunday.Can anyone confirm this and the reason why it was done?

I also noticed that too and wondered about it myself, but someone here said that they increase service on most lines during the holidays.

For anyone interested, as posted by Stef on Subchat -  http://www.subchat.com/read.asp?Id=1263320

"R188 Car 7843 has arrived on the property at 239th St Yard as per my sources; so I will be looking for a complete set of Cars 7838-43 in a few days."

So another set should be here soon. But......

"One which I am not so clear on right now involves the R110B. Have been told one car (3007) has been moved to the track (65) that goes out onto 215th St. Chances are, it's leaving the property."

The second bit seemed more interesting to me. An R110B leaving property? As I understand, these cars can't be scrapped (at least not right now) due to them being purchased by federal money. So this can't be a scrap move. Anyone here have any ideas?

Edited by M. Friday 1986

So a friends of mine put me on to this app called Blip Rail. Its takes the schedule of the trains and puts each one on a subway map based on where its scheduled to be. Each train moves along the map in real time, the timing is off on a few spots here and there, but it works for the most part.

It does not show trains based on a G.O or anything, it shoes what and where it would normally be on a normal day. Also it does not show trains at terminals, once it gets there, it disappears...1452344_10202040605851041_661343407_n.jp

No complaints from me so far

While i was going to work this afternoon i noticed it too...i didn't question it since its less waiting time for me lol

It looks like the Blip rail is real time for the Number trains except the 7. Edited by Abba

3007-3008 are still paired and parked behind the old R12...it'd take a fair effort to get those cars out, and whoever informed him it was only one car is incorrect.

I drove by the yard on the Major Deegan this morning and, whatever cars that were supposed to be there, weren't there anymore. But after seeing the pictures you posted yeaterday, I realized cars 3001-3003 weren't where they would normally be parked. The question is where they'd be heading to.

I drove by the yard on the Major Deegan this morning and, whatever cars that were supposed to be there, weren't there anymore. But after seeing the pictures you posted yeaterday, I realized cars 3001-3003 weren't where they would normally be parked. The question is where they'd be heading to.

That must be it, as, come to think of it, I didn't see 3001-3003 on the property.

I've also learn my lesson that the basics of several train/bus routes are far more important than their ridership levels. For example, the (C) is the shorten (or local counterpart and feeder line) version of the (A) rather than the full version of it. The secondary things are little things like ridership, which is just only a bonus to the said mention line. This also applies to the (3) and (B) as well as the former (V) and (W).