SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The (2) and (3) - Speed its the 7th Ave Line trademark. One of the last trunk lines without the repetitive timers albeit with notable exceptions. The R62's and R142's flies after Chambers. IRT Lex isnt that bad if the conditions are right and the T/D hooked up the T/O with all greens. Queens Bvld Line Jamaica Bound is a killer. The (7) Express on the El, another one. Also under the right conditions 4th Ave N/B 36th to Pacific, the T/Os love killing it on that stretch.

Nothing beats the 14 Street - Canarsie and 60th St tubes hands down. Moving past 55 MPH for sure.

Another fast point: (D) , Grand Concourse between 145th and 161st Yankee Stadium as it moves through an underground tube at that point. 50 MPH zone. Otherwise slow.

(J)(Z) Marcy-Myrtle 45mph at the least...

Edited by Around the Horn

(J)(Z) Marcy-Myrtle 45mph at the least...

Oh hell yeah. Remember when they had the R42's on the Jamaica weekend GO express run from Marcy all the way to B'Way Junction and the reverse some years back when the station repairs were in effect? Damn what a joyride. I'm sure the T/O must be chillin in that cab killing it and screaming through the green signals.

Was on the museum trian yesterday. Damn those R1/9s sound nice.

Yes they do. Very powerful cars, only thing is that they dont have the acceleration rate of the newer SMEEs ditto on the MTTs. But they are VERY fast cars thats for sure.

Edited by realizm

Seemed interesting enough to share (if posted elsewhere on here, my apologies) - posted on Subchat member Gold_12th: http://www.subchat.com/readflat.asp?Id=1264549&p=1#1264554

SMS program on R-32, R-42, R-46, R-142A, R-143, R-160 car fleet

"MTA is buying a lot of Westcode products (air brakes, door operator, HVAC components)....

Highlights in the contract:

R46 will undergo a overhaul on air brake and door controls in 2014-2016.

R142A HVAC overhaul now through 2014 and again 2016-2019.

R143 HVAC overhaul 2015-2017

R160 HVAC overhaul now til 2020.

Cost: ~$8 million.

page 176: http://web.mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/131216_1030_transit-bus.pdf "

Edited by M. Friday 1986

Not sure about off duty though.

Off-duty, I believe they have to pay.  Few of my 61st and 5th precinct friends pay while off-duty to my knowledge.

Them and FDNY have special metrocards (I think its blue or red) that they can use

Weren't red metrocards given to MTA employees? Anyways, I never really saw my friends carry a special metrocard, from what they've told me; they just go through the gate.

Off-duty, I believe they have to pay.  Few of my 61st and 5th precinct friends pay while off-duty to my knowledge.

Weren't red metrocards given to MTA employees? Anyways, I never really saw my friends carry a special metrocard, from what they've told me; they just go through the gate.

Yeah my uncle had the red MetroCard with the U on it he's a retired t/o and thanks for answering my question.

It may hit the 40s but there are a number of (E) trains during rush hour that appear to be making local stops. At times I feel like a sucker for not jumping on the (R) train.

Better off taking whatever comes first because there's nothing but train traffic on the (E) during rush hours. Sometimes the (M) and (R) beats the (E) and (F).

Better off taking whatever comes first because there's nothing but train traffic on the (E) during rush hours. Sometimes the (M) and (R) beats the (E) and (F).

I ride from Jamaica/Hillside, so the only thing coming first is the (E) or (F) depending on how traffic is on the Bus. It's not just rush hour, today I was on a train at noon and the R train left 71st and got to Roosevelt at the same time. Oddly enough when we got to QP an (M) was clearly being held by T/D as we pulled in and opened the hold lights came on for us, so I ran over to the (M) which closed down and before anyone had a chance to board leaving me to run back to the (E) and the 6th ave crew to wait it out. There's always something screwy on Queens Blvd no matter the time of day.

Edited by Jsunflyguy

On Saturday night at about 10:47, which is before late night service I saw an (E) on the local track @ 71st Av.

I also saw a rollsign mistake on R32 # 3864 in service on the (C). It was that it was set to Concourse/8 Av/ Fulton Lcl

Yesterday I saw an R46 (R) Layup set to Not In Service on the LCD at Union Tpke (the weekend layups are usually R160s) About an hour or so later I came into the 71st Av station and I saw the same layup (R) train pull into the station on the express track and pull into the station and just sit there. Then I saw an (F) come into the station on the local track and I boarded it and then it switched to the express after the station. In the last few days on three occurrences I saw two consecutive R160 sets in the same station but on different trains. I also saw the long line of R68/A (B) layups on the uptown broadway express track.

I have a question?

What happens to the three (E) trains that terminate at Union Tpke in the AM rush after they come out of service?

Using Tapatalk

Edited by Union Tpke

Today at about noon while on the Deegan I-87, I briefly glanced at what I saw was a single R110B car at 207 Street Yard's Track 65 (same track where recent scrap cars left property this year). No clue on car number (Stef on Subchat reports it to be car 3007), but I could tell it was an A-car unit; front cab was facing the 215th Street gate. I assume this is the car...or one of the cars....(?) from the 3001-3003 set that will be heading to Floyd Bennett Field?

Today at about noon while on the Deegan I-87, I briefly glanced at what I saw was a single R110B car at 207 Street Yard's Track 65 (same track where recent scrap cars left property this year). No clue on car number (Stef on Subchat reports it to be car 3007), but I could tell it was an A-car unit; front cab was facing the 215th Street gate. I assume this is the car...or one of the cars....(?) from the 3001-3003 set that will be heading to Floyd Bennett Field?

To add onto what Friday said, there is a four car set of Mailine R44s in storage at CIY. They're 5286-5289. No one knows why those cars are there, but I can think of four possible reasons why.

1. They're going to be converted to pump cars.

2. They're going to be converted to prototypes for the R211s, just like some SMEEs became prototypes for the R142 fleet.

3. They'll be used for training at Floyd Bennett Field.

4. The set is preserved by someone else.

Edited by DJ MC

Saw this sign installed a month ago, and last week or so I still saw it there. Perhaps whoever installed this sign was just as confused as the straphangers who transfer here for the 6 train. 

mnf2.jpg

------

How fast does the  (A) go from Utica to Nostrand N/B? Do northbound  (A) trains enter Nostrand at about at least 40 MPH?

In the R32/38 days they'd hit the platform 40 and accelerating with the T/O usually hitting the 10 with a full service application.

According to a video I took last year, it follows what Jsunflyguy said. Here's a snapshot of that video:

7lph.png

The operator applied the brakes a second before this snapshot was taken. Two seconds before brakes were applied the train entered Nostrand, and five seconds before that it had already reached 40 mph.

Edited by Gong Gahou