SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

I still don't understand why the (D) has to run in two sections during a fast track

There's no way the D can run from the Bronx to Brooklyn via the West End without running on 6th Avenue. There isn't any track connection between 8th Avenue and the Manhattan Bridge. That's why it's split up during the 6th Avenue FASTRACK.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's no way the D can run from the Bronx to Brooklyn via the West End without running on 6th Avenue. There isn't any track connection between 8th Avenue and the Manhattan Bridge. That's why it's split up during the 6th Avenue FASTRACK.

They've done it before...just use the switch near W4

They've done it before...just use the switch near W4

Yes, northbound. There's a diamond crossover between the express and local tracks just west of Broadway-Lafayette. There's no such connection Brooklyn-bound. Whenever the D is rerouted over to 8th Avenue southbound, it either terminates at 2 Av or runs down the Culver line to Coney Island.

they really should build a crossover from the F to the D before Broadway Lafayette. I wish those dame Mta big people see this and spend a few thousand dollars to install it. If they can do it at 74 Street on 7 train, they can do it there. Don't forget they spent thousand of dollars in connecting both Lexington Ave platforms to the B D F M train. 

they really should build a crossover from the F to the D before Broadway Lafayette. I wish those dame Mta big people see this and spend a few thousand dollars to install it. If they can do it at 74 Street on 7 train, they can do it there. Don't forget they spent thousand of dollars in connecting both Lexington Ave platforms to the B D F M train.

A few thousand? :lol:

I prefer to not have a ton of service disruptions on the (B)(D)(F)(M) just for the sake of one crossover. If the (D) has to turn at 2 Av, so be it.

Complaint time:

My daily (6) train is late every single day that an R62A runs. The train was on time nearly every day for a streak of almost four months. Now, it's late whenever there's an old tech train on it. Same shit happens every time. Train shows up about 6-7 minutes later than it should, then it gets stuck at each station for close to a minute thanks to the narrower doors taking ages to load (the C/R today lost her ish and started yelling on the PA and shaming people, "you in the blue jacket 5th car, put your bag down"; started yelling so much that the T/O cut her off in the middle of one announcement and did it himself), then it gets sent express for the remainder of the route and I have to get off and wait for the next train, now completely packed. What was an 18 minute trip on the R142As is now consistently a 24-26 minute trip. The solution, obviously, is to leave earlier, and I recognize that, but it's just a massive pain in the ass that this inconsistent service is the new reality. People are getting angrier too, fight broke out at 86th St today and everybody's cursing to themselves trying to get on or off the train with narrow doors. 

As a fan, I like the R62As. I really do. But in rush hour they slow everything down and there's no way around it.

Complaint time:

My daily (6) train is late every single day that an R62A runs. The train was on time nearly every day for a streak of almost four months. Now, it's late whenever there's an old tech train on it. Same shit happens every time. Train shows up about 6-7 minutes later than it should, then it gets stuck at each station for close to a minute thanks to the narrower doors taking ages to load (the C/R today lost her ish and started yelling on the PA and shaming people, "you in the blue jacket 5th car, put your bag down"; started yelling so much that the T/O cut her off in the middle of one announcement and did it himself), then it gets sent express for the remainder of the route and I have to get off and wait for the next train, now completely packed. What was an 18 minute trip on the R142As is now consistently a 24-26 minute trip. The solution, obviously, is to leave earlier, and I recognize that, but it's just a massive pain in the ass that this inconsistent service is the new reality. People are getting angrier too, fight broke out at 86th St today and everybody's cursing to themselves trying to get on or off the train with narrow doors. 

As a fan, I like the R62As. I really do. But in rush hour they slow everything down and there's no way around it.

AMEN!My trip from BB to Astor takes 15 minutes instead of 7...

Wikipedia says its about 4 inches narrower.  On a crowded line like the (6), that makes a huge difference. Also, I think that if you were to put an R142A and R62A side by side on a parallel track and have them accelerate at full power from rest, the R142As would easily beat the R62A. The R62A's really slow down trips in the rush sometimes. As I said a few pages before, if I had it my way, I'd just say screw the (7) and forget everything. However, once again, I am just one person.

Not trying to deny the validity of your claim, but how much narrower are the doors on the R62As compared to the R142As, and why does it make such a big difference in passenger loading times?

This is the most congested line in the entire system, and the country (IIRC), more than others, and carries more people than most transit systems. The huge loads at each station don't make the situations any easier. It's bad enough that the (4)(5) are crowded as they are right now, and they are the expresses. Now imagine the local, in which the (6) is the only that caters to that position.

Edited by Q23 Central Terminal

Wikipedia says its about 4 inches narrower. On a crowded line like the (6), that makes a huge difference. Also, I think that if you were to put an R142A and R62A side by side on a parallel track and have them accelerate at full power from rest, the R142As would easily beat the R62A. The R62A's really slow down trips in the rush sometimes. As I said a few pages before, if I had it my way, I'd just say screw the (7) and forget everything. However, once again, I am just one person.

It's actually about a foot difference

Not trying to deny the validity of your claim, but how much narrower are the doors on the R62As compared to the R142As, and why does it make such a big difference in passenger loading times?

R142As have doors 4'6'' wide and 6'2.94" tall.

R62As have doors 4'2" wide and 6"2.5" inches tall (same spec as every IRT car since the R12).

The difference matters on a line as crowded as the (6), especially when you consider that people angle themselves from the outside corners of the door inwards when trying to get on while passengers get off.

For comparison, IND doors are 4'2" wide, but obviously you've got more doors per car. Everything BMT/IND until the R40 was specced at 3'10 3/8" wide, with the exception of the 4'2" rebuilt R7As, R10, R11s, and R16s.

AMEN!My trip from BB to Astor takes 15 minutes instead of 7...

Right? It's driving me nuts! The gaps in service are incredible for the morning rush.

Wikipedia says its about 4 inches narrower.  On a crowded line like the (6), that makes a huge difference. Also, I think that if you were to put an R142A and R62A side by side on a parallel track and have them accelerate at full power from rest, the R142As would easily beat the R62A. The R62A's really slow down trips in the rush sometimes. As I said a few pages before, if I had it my way, I'd just say screw the (7) and forget everything. However, once again, I am just one person.

Wikipedia's right. It's a big difference, you're right. As for the acceleration, I think the two are relatively close (the R142As can pull 2.5 MPH/s, for reference), but once the time is lost in a station it's a lost cause.

Edited by MHV9218

Complaint time:

It's funny how it's the other way around on the (7).

It's funny how it's the other way around on the (7).

I think it'll get better on both lines in a few months as the riders get used to the different rolling stock. R62As held down the (6)<6> 15 years ago and they still can. I've been in Toronto a few times over the past year and a half and each time I saw how riders there reacted to the incoming TR sets. When they were first going onto the Spadina line, most sets assigned to the line were T1s. People were significantly slower with the new trains. As more and more of the line became TRs, people got faster. The last 2 times I was up there, the entire line was TRs (glad I got the RFW when I still could) and people were acting as if they've been there forever.

Wikipedia says its about 4 inches narrower. On a crowded line like the (6), that makes a huge difference. Also, I think that if you were to put an R142A and R62A side by side on a parallel track and have them accelerate at full power from rest, the R142As would easily beat the R62A. The R62A's really slow down trips in the rush sometimes. As I said a few pages before, if I had it my way, I'd just say screw the (7) and forget everything. However, once again, I am just one person.

Well the MTA could have said the same thing to the (6) riders. They could have gave the R142A's to the (3) or (7) if their yards could manage them. You should be glad you still get to your destination. Here in Queens we would love to have subway lines going out to the Nassau border. We have to travel 30-50 minutes on a bus just to get to where we have to go and then still have to be on a train for another 20 minutes or so depending on where you.

Everyone is acting like they will die just because they have to be on a train for a few more minutes.

Edited by NewFlyer 230

Well the MTA could have said the same thing to the (6) riders. They could have gave the R142A's to the (3) or (7) if their yards could manage them. You should be glad you still get to your destination. Here in Queens we would love to have subway lines going out to the Nassau border. We have to travel 30-50 minutes on a bus just to get to where we have to go and then still have to be on a train for another 20 minutes or so depending on where you.

Everyone is acting like they will die just because they have to be on a train for a few more minutes.

It's a massive pain in the ass. I'll say it. I get up early as hell in the morning, I slave to work cause I have to, and I don't like the fact that my commute is 10 minutes longer every day cause Transit couldn't figure out that narrower doors meant longer loading times. 

Also, you want to talk about death? Cause you better watch 86th in the morning after a northbound train goes express and drops the entire train on the platform. One of the single dumbest procedures any supervisor ever recommends given the entire train gets off at 96th St anyway. The crowding is genuinely dangerous. I've had to stand with my the edge of my feet over the platform and shove myself inwards when a train comes because it's that tight. This morning some woman had a panic attack on the platform and started bugging out from the crowds. It's a bad scene. 

I remember one time at 77th when a claustrophobic lady went nuts on the platform. Crazy. Cops. EMTs, and the FDNY had to be called in. Completely screwed up (4)(5)(6) service.

@NewFlyer: your point about the R62A holding down the (6) 15 years ago is invalid. Did you think that (6) ridership hasn't increased in all these years? It's like saying that the (L) doesn't need CBTC because it was fine without it 15 years ago -_-.

And I'm sure you've been late to work or school or wherever the heck you go... As little as 2 or 3 minutes can make a huge difference. Throw in 6-10 minutes and forget it.

If anything, the MTA should be finding ways to increase (6) service, not trying to reduce it. The SAS will not be finished in the forseeaboe future and the East Side will only continue to grow exponentially