SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I said they show up on the (2) to get washed, I meant they run out of service along the (2)line.

Just wanted to clarify what I posted.

There was this (5) train trip many moons ago that did run R62A's though, but that was when the redbirds were around. I think it ran one afternoon round trip and then they would cut the train into two sets and run the OPTO shuttle at night.

After buying some breakfast on Utica, I went to the subway. I let the first (4) pass because of its crowds (as always in the morning rush), and waited for the next one. The (3) came and left 4 minutes before my (4) did. The train gets held at Nostrand due to a (5) ahead. Looks like I was better off in taking the (3) that came earlier since I was only going towards Franklin. I usually almost always take the (3) for space and/or seat and almost always get off at Fulton or Park Place for the (A) / (C) (or (J) / (Z) at Fulton half the time). But anyways, got off for the Franklin shuttle to the (C) to Euclid. Crossed over to the northbound side and later, looked at the window in the first car all the way to 168th. I don't look at the RFW on the line anymore like I used to in the previous years because of its boring fully underground route. I'm willing to bet that many fans only like the (C) because of the R32s anyway....

Almost to the north end of the line, there's this other kid also at the first car and he asked me if the train was going to 42-PABT. I told him to wait until the train ends at 168th and also told him to cross over to the southbound side and take the (A) from there (assuming he's in a rush of course since the time was about 9:40-9:50 something, a bit close to the end of the AM rush). The express downtown was already arriving and I told him to hurry fast if he wanted to catch it on time. I saw that he at first made it onto the train, but then get off and the train closed its doors and left. I went up to him to ask him. He said that the train was already crowded (not crushloaded, because as always in the subway system, I saw everybody on the entire platform get on certain lines like the (A) anyway). He also said he just preferred a seat and less crowds, insisting on taking the local or the next express. I told him that's perfectly fine and great. It's good to know at least some people reasonably think when they commute no matter what time a day.

The next southbound express soon came 4 minutes later (along with a originating southbound local from the relay) and the express was much less crowded than the first train (nothing new anyway, this always happens on the (A)). At the same time, I got on my uptown (A). The train was mostly nothing but air except for some people still sitting down (nothing new anyway since that's how the (A) usually is reverse peak except when the train is 15-20 minutes late or so, in which case, it does indeed become crowded or less crowded, if not worse). Got off at 207th about a half hour ago and went to McDonalds to sit down to relax as I slowly type this from my iPad. Plan on going back onto the train to get off at Fulton for the (J) anyway.

After years of taking the (3) & (4) out in this end of Brooklyn, you'll learn how to time it right...

-From points east of Utica, if you get to Utica and the (4) is leaving in 5 or more minutes, you're better off staying on the (3) up to Nevins St since its gonna get there first. At best, you'll catch up to the (2) if front of the (3) you got off by Nevins St

-If both trains leave Utica at the same time, the express would get to Franklin first by about a minute or 2, and to Atlantic first by about 4-5 minutes

-If you get to Utica and they are holding your train, chances are very high that it'll leave out the same time as the (4) (at least from my experiences)

They seem to hold the (3) at Utica northbound a lot. Could this be because it left New Lots ahead of schedule? From my experiences, some times it sits there until the (4) is ready to leave at the same time. Some other times, the (4) ends up leaving first and the (3) sits there for a few more minutes before it leaves. Really weird.

Whichever train that's already at the station or is coming into the station first is the one I take and just simply stay on. Sometimes, I get lucky, but often not. But I'll time it properly from now on.

That's becuase it skips 2 stops on Livonia so it gets there early

Not always true actually.

I know that, but that's not what I mean. I meant, even before those two stations got closed for rehabs, northbound (3) trains still got held at Utica a lot, at least from my perspective. SubwayGuy did told me why two years ago in another thread, though. I think they should rewrite the schedule or prevent the (3) from leaving New Lots early, that is, unless there's another train waiting to get into New Lots, which may be another reason why it gets held at Utica northbound early. I know it's not a big deal or anything, but sometimes, you could be sitting on the train for a good 5 minutes at Utica before it leaves...that's why it's best for me to time it right and plan ahead...

Edited by RollOver

I've been noticing that some sets of R160s from 8313-8376 have shown up very frequently on the (J). Not that it's not a big deal or anything, but is there any reason for that?

It's because the (J) only has a handful of R160s at the moment sometimes ENY likes to pull R160 sets from the (L) and (M) and put it on the (J) especially late nights there are some T/Os that like to say screw the R32s and R42s and make sure that they catch an R160 especially the ones that have to do overtime