SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a synopsis of my commute:

Got a ride on R62A lead car #2091, which has a Manhattan-bound RFW. Took that to Grand Central, enjoyed my (potentially last) RFW on the (7). At Mets-Willets Point, there was an R62A on the opposite direction towards Main Street that had the 6 singles, which meant that it also had an RFW. 

Coming back, I managed to get on the first <7> to Main Street of the day. It was a nice and fast ride, nobody got on at Queensboro (one of the stations that I know of that fills up trains in an instant) because as we entered the station, the local train just left the station. I guess people thought there was no express service and they all got on the local, because barely anyone got on the train. As we fly into the Woodside station, the local train closes it's doors before most people noticed there was an express train on the opposite track. Using a speedometer on my phone, the train reached a max speed of 50 mph, the fast speed I've recorded yet on the <7> . It was a nice and quick ride, one of the best rides I've had on the <7> in a long time. 

Anyways, get them RFW's while you can. 

Caught the R143 (J) / (Z)34 times today without looking...

Had to take my niece home in SI, so after me and my cousin got back to the city, we walked to the (J) since he lives along the line. Got on the train and he pointed out to me why it says (L) on the inside. I was completely zoned out and I looked up and sure enough it was an R143.

We got off at Marcy to wait for the (M), and while waiting we see another one on the (Z) heading towards Manhattan. Got off at Flushing, and I hear another one coming into the station again going Manhattan bound.

EDIT

Walked to the train at Myrtle to catch the (Z) (skip-stop problems lol) and I see it again (presumably the 3rd one I saw at Flushing) at Myrtle on the (J).

Edited by Fresh Pond

Going downtown, right before you enter 14th Street (south of 18th St) there is an interlocking. I don't know why we just didn't go local instead of waiting for the train to clear out at 14th Street. It took about 40 to 45 minutes to get from Grand Central to 14th Street on the (5) yesterday. It was stop and go until we reach 23rd St where it just sat there for about 25 minutes.

That's a funky interlocking. It has to be lined up extremely early, and it's possible that there was too much traffic or your train was too far south to make it. You've got WD 10 flashing all the way from 23rd or so to 14th whenever that's used, and the whole operation takes up a ton of track space.

Caught the R143 (J) / (Z)34 times today without looking...

Had to take my niece home in SI, so after me and my cousin got back to the city, we walked to the (J) since he lives along the line. Got on the train and he pointed out to me why it says (L) on the inside. I was completely zoned out and I looked up and sure enough it was an R143.

We got off at Marcy to wait for the (M), and while waiting we see another one on the (Z) heading towards Manhattan. Got off at Flushing, and I hear another one coming into the station again going Manhattan bound.

EDIT

Walked to the train at Myrtle to catch the (Z) (skip-stop problems lol) and I see it again (presumably the 3rd one I saw at Flushing) at Myrtle on the (J).

Wow. I keep getting 160's today.

For those that have to use the (E)(F)(M)(R), how are you guys handling the ride along QB?

The (F) is good the (E) has shuttle buses running to Jamaica center and Kew Gardens. It is not so slow which is good. The problem is the (R) on Saturday I waited 22 minutes for the (R) to come. On weekdays it's a combination of the (R) running normal to it showing up late. Sometimes two or three (M)'s can come before one (R).

The (F) is good the (E) has shuttle buses running to Jamaica center and Kew Gardens. It is not so slow which is good. The problem is the (R) on Saturday I waited 22 minutes for the (R) to come. On weekdays it's a combination of the (R) running normal to it showing up late. Sometimes two or three (M)'s can come before one (R).

This past weekend it was an all-trains-local scenario and that often gives the R the shaft. 

3 m trains before an R? which direction? I almost universally see the opposite - though most of the time these days I take the N/Q even though it's a little further from me. 

This past weekend it was an all-trains-local scenario and that often gives the R the shaft.

3 m trains before an R? which direction? I almost universally see the opposite - though most of the time these days I take the N/Q even though it's a little further from me.

Well it happened at Queens Plaza twice. There were 3 (M) trains heading to Manhattan and then finally this packed (R) train came a minute after the third (M) train. Yes you are right it happens at times to the (M). You could see two (R) trains before one (M) but that doesn't happen as often. I took the subway to work everyday now I am dreading the fact that it may be worst when I start college in two weeks. I had to pass up an (E) train before there was room to get on one. Combine that with students and I feel like it will be much worst. The (F) was never as crowded as the (E) but that is probably because some of those people take the (M). When I go to college I will take only the (R) and or (M). I might head to Flushing and take the (7) to the (6).

I don't know if this was true or not, but back when the (V) was running I heard they would use the R46s (and towards the end R160s as well) interchangeably between the (R) and the (V) whenever there was a service gap on one of the two lines out of Continental.

They obviously can't do that now, but did they really do that back then?

I don't know if this was true or not, but back when the (V) was running I heard they would use the R46s (and towards the end R160s as well) interchangeably between the (R) and the (V) whenever there was a service gap on one of the two lines out of Continental.

They obviously can't do that now, but did they really do that back then?

Yes they did, the (V) consisted of R46, R40/Slant, R32, R38, R160 (borrowed from the (E) and (F) ), and R42's. The R46 did run on the (V) but not as much as it did on the (F) and (R) . It also ran R68. A mix of things. On its last days of running, the (V) then completely consisted of R160s, like the (E) does, because some train sets were retiring and some went on other lines, like the R42, R44 and R46. The 68's went on the (G) . Edited by Priincenene

Yes they did, the (V) consisted of R46, R40/Slant, R32, R38, R160 (borrowed from the (E) and (F) ), and R42's. The R46 did run on the (V) but not as much as it did on the (F) and (R) . It also ran R68. A mix of things. On its last days of running, the (V) then completely consisted of R160s, like the (E) does, because some train sets were retiring and some went on other lines, like the R42, R44 and R46. The 68's went on the (G) .

Nope. The (V) never used slants nor R68s and its last days it used R46s and R160s. I actually took pictures of the line during its last days.

Nope. The (V) never used slants nor R68s and its last days it used R46s and R160s. I actually took pictures of the line during its last days.

quick a-googlin suggests it at least happened. 

spjj80.jpg

Although - according to THIS VERY FORUM

It was taken in 2001,they put R40's to test out the (V) line before they started the line in Dec of that year.

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/35401-r40-v-train/

Sooooo, basically everyone's right. R40\ did run on the V but also didn't run on the V. Fascinating.