SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

I don't think the R32s can be even in fresh pond yard because 2 car drill in Fresh Pond Yard isn't feasible until they bring back the handswitchman job I think they will only be based out of ENY

Maybe not R32's but maybe R143's still can be stored in Fresh Pond because remember they once ran on the Myrtle Line. If my theory is incorrect, no problem, you can go from ENY via the (J) at Bway Junction then via the (M) at Myrtle-Broadway and theres your set on the (M) line.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe not R32's but maybe R143's still can be stored in Fresh Pond because remember they once ran on the Myrtle Line. If my theory is incorrect, no problem, you can go from ENY via the (J) at Bway Junction then via the (M) at Myrtle-Broadway and theres your set on the (M) line.

True that is how you get from Broadway junction to Fresh Pond

I heard the R143 might, not saying they will, go on the (M) in Sept along with an R32 too. If that happens, im assuming more R160's from FRESH POND Yard will go on the (L) and the (J) swapping with Canarsie (R143) and ENY yard (R32), since Fresh Pond is a small yard comparing to East New York Yard.

So maybe like this:

(J) R32 ENY Yard set > Swap with Fresh Pond Yard's R160 set(s)

(L) R143(s) Canarsie > Swap with Fresh Pond's 160(s)

IF it were to happen, this is my theory of how the swaps go. The (L) and (J) don't have to swap since they share with East New York Yard more often than the (M) does, and ENY has its own R143's the (L) use.

You do realized only 8313-8376 are the only R160s CBTC equipped therefore anything above that cannot run on the (L)

Since my semester started yesterday at BMCC, which is near West Side Hwy, every time I go home, I always walk towards Chambers St & Church St to catch the (A). Can I enter the (2)(3) station at W Broadway & Chambers St and then walk via passageway to the (A) instead of walking all the way to Church St/Chambers St? I know there is a passageway south of the platform on the (A)(C) , which leads to the (1)(2)(3) .

Since my semester started yesterday at BMCC, which is near West Side Hwy, every time I go home, I always walk towards Chambers St & Church St to catch the (A). Can I enter the (2)(3) station at W Broadway & Chambers St and then walk via passageway to the (A) instead of walking all the way to Church St/Chambers St? I know there is a passageway south of the platform on the (A)(C) , which leads to the (1)(2)(3) .

There is no passageway from the Chambers Street and West Broadway station.  The passageway at the A station at Chambers Street leads to Park Place on the 2 and 3.

I heard the R143 might, not saying they will, go on the (M) in Sept along with an R32 too. If that happens, im assuming more R160's from FRESH POND Yard will go on the (L) and the (J) swapping with Canarsie (R143) and ENY yard (R32), since Fresh Pond is a small yard comparing to East New York Yard.

So maybe like this:

(J) R32 ENY Yard set > Swap with Fresh Pond Yard's R160 set(s)

(L) R143(s) Canarsie > Swap with Fresh Pond's 160(s)

IF it were to happen, this is my theory of how the swaps go. The (L) and (J) don't have to swap since they share with East New York Yard more often than the (M) does, and ENY has its own R143's the (L) use.

Fresh Pond yard isn't even its own stand-alone yard. Fresh Pond, along with Canarsie are satellite yards to the larger ENY Yard

So you telling me a CBTC equipped R143 (or 160) can run PERFECTLY on the (J) and an R160 non-CBTC cannot on the (L) ?

Yes.

You can run a CBTC equipped car on a non-CBTC line by simply turning off the CBTC in the car (CBTC Bypass). They do it all the time on the (J). You can't run a non-CBTC car on a CBTC line without throwing off the entire line.

Thats why I said......

!!!

And the R160, fine, not going on the (L) then if the R143 go then whats filling in for the (L) on rush hour?

Did the R62 always have flickering lights? If so, how is that acceptable?

Acceptable? A lot of the old school cars lights in the whole car went out on 3rd rail gaps, it only happens partially on the 62s, it even happens on 142s if it goes over a 3rd rail gap slow enough, usually coming into Flatbush. Happens on some of the (D) line's 68's as well.

From what I noticed the 62s only started doing that in recent years... never recalled them doing it on the (4) in the late 90s.