SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Question: Will the (7) ever get the countdown like the rest of the IRT Division gets once CBTC is done? Or will it keep the same countdown clock like the (L) and the Queens Blvd?

It should. I read an article saying once CBTC is complete on Queens Blvd, they're getting clocks, so it'd only make sense for Flushing to get them, too.

When does the super express <7> run? I never really seen it. I think it does skip the three stops Vernon, Hunters Point and Court Square.

After any tennis event or event at Citi Field mentioned above. Makes the following stops only...

Mets-Willets Pt

Woodside-61 St

Queensboro Plz

Court Sq

Grand Central

5 Av

Times Sq

Hudson Yards

...Caught one last night, nothing really to brag home about, but still good to ride.

After any tennis event or event at Citi Field mentioned above. Makes the following stops only...

Mets-Willets Pt

Woodside-61 St

Queensboro Plz

Court Sq

Grand Central

5 Av

Times Sq

Hudson Yards

...Caught one last night, nothing really to brag home about, but still good to ride.

Yeah I did see a (7) terminated on the middle track at Mets Willets Point the other day. I would love to ride on of those that skips half the stops the express serves but it is only for special events. No Flushing service but at least it runs fast.

Another random thought car 7560 on the (6) still has its original 2001-2010 transfers. The (V) the (W) and brown (M) are all on the strip map. It was interesting how many R62A's are still on the (7). Half the trains after the AM rush were R62A's while the (6) ran with two R142A's. I caught a R62A (7) and (6) on my way to school and an R142A (6) and converted (7) back home from school at 9PM.

the van sicklen and rockaway ave repairs are taking longer than i thought

Tell me about it. First they say September, then they change it to the end of the month. With the way Rockaway looks now, don't look like it'll be done at the end of the month as they say.

I'm tired of that shuttle bus nonsense lol

Tell me about it. First they say September, then they change it to the end of the month. With the way Rockaway looks now, don't look like it'll be done at the end of the month as they say.

I'm tired of that shuttle bus nonsense lol

Nothing surprises me anymore about how the MTA handles these station renovations. It's pathetic.

Has anybody ever seen one of the 1968-color front rollsigns for the IRT fleet in tact? They seem to be as hard to find as the side signs:

C-23.jpg

transferpoint photo

The sign above somehow lasted until the mid-2000s, which is impressive given it was out of date even by 1979.

Some photos come from the legendary prankster/motorman/photographer Steve Zabel, who would carry a personal signbox on some lines and pop it in--this is a faded orange 7 on the former BMT #7 Shuttle.

img_40913.jpg

credit unknown, likely Steve Zabel

img_39032.jpg

Doug Grotjahn photo

One SubChat member recalled about 10 years ago when the Transit Museum would sell these colored rolls for $10 a pop. He says he sold his for $25! Those must have been the days.

That destination sign is an equally hard-to-find roll with condensed Akzidenz-Grotesk lettering, as some R17 signs had.

They used the Worlds Fair cars on the IRT Main line?

Edited by 46Dover