SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

On 12/10/2021 at 2:33 PM, Calvin said:

The holiday train will not be on the rails seeing it in person this year. However, the R32s will take its place. Also, the final run will occur when we are in January 2022. Final line to be in-use: the (Q) uincy. 

https://www.nytransitmuseum.org/r32/?fbclid=IwAR1sD8i52RWnHsJJ_Q7heNgbfc2CpKsw5S596t50a32IbAL4RJWA3ERsajM

Not gonna be going on the last run of the retirement run at 6:30. People be out here crowding which isn't my thing.

I'd take a small ride along Brighton throughout the morning or so. and then take clips via Second Avenue/Broadway/Brighton

Man, People be foaming so hard there's gonna be hundreds of cameras pointing at one spot. I wonder how the passengers will react to this- 

*Ahem* R42 retirement run on Euclid 

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, biGC323232 said:

LOL...A Few (E) train ran local past a few on the exp track

I had an (M) and an (R) pass me, but after Forest Hills, all of a sudden, we sped up again. So I don’t know what “track maintenance” they were doing, but by god it slowed the entire line down.

Subject: R32 Retirement Trips To All Concerned:

It is with great sadness that we announce, the R32 Farewell Retirement Trips scheduled to take place over the next few Sundays have been canceled, due to COVID-19 and the Omicron Variant outbreak. The Final Retirement Ceremony scheduled to take place on January 9, 2022 will also not take place. We are truly sorry for this news. We hope that you and your family have a Happy and Healthy Holiday Season and a Very Prosperous New Year. Please visit us in Downtown Brooklyn, or at our Grand Central Gallery Annex.

Thank You, New York Transit Museum

The R32 retirement runs are cancelled. Just to keep you informed.

Just to keep this short. Due to the rise of spike cases of COVID and the Omicron Variant making an outbreak. They are officially cancelling the R32 retirement runs.

I don't know if they're planning to retire it immediately or soon change its schedule soon once everything cools down. But I don't know much about the aftermath. (It sounds fake tbh idk)

(Also this isn't confirmed yet) I'ma be looking out for it. Don't panic yet! Also this can be faked as well since I had a suspicion some lmk if you find something.

Edited by Jacob

32 minutes ago, Jacob said:

Subject: R32 Retirement Trips To All Concerned:

It is with great sadness that we announce, the R32 Farewell Retirement Trips scheduled to take place over the next few Sundays have been canceled, due to COVID-19 and the Omicron Variant outbreak. The Final Retirement Ceremony scheduled to take place on January 9, 2022 will also not take place. We are truly sorry for this news. We hope that you and your family have a Happy and Healthy Holiday Season and a Very Prosperous New Year. Please visit us in Downtown Brooklyn, or at our Grand Central Gallery Annex.

Thank You, New York Transit Museum

The R32 retirement runs are cancelled. Just to keep you informed.

Just to keep this short. Due to the rise of spike cases of COVID and the Omicron Variant making an outbreak. They are officially cancelling the R32 retirement runs.

I don't know if they're planning to retire it immediately or soon change its schedule soon once everything cools down. But I don't know much about the aftermath. (It sounds fake tbh idk)

(Also this isn't confirmed yet) I'ma be looking out for it. Don't panic yet! Also this can be faked as well since I had a suspicion some lmk if you find something.

26 minutes ago, Jacob said:

Update: It's false nobody I notified people to find this on the official site. This is certainly debunked

Screenshot_20211217-211113_Samsung_Inter

The nytransitmuseum on instragram with twitter confirmed that the R32s are still up and running. Also, if you're subscribed to them on email, it'll state that it's up. Whoever thought of that as a prank isn't the brightest to be on Santa's nice list. 

R32 doors are being closed every time it’s at the terminal. No passengers allowed before the announcement to let passengers in,  due to the rollsign tampering when in service and violence causing a disruption to the bubble.  

Edited by Calvin

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

R32 doors are being closed every time it’s at the terminal. No passengers allowed before the announcement to let passengers in,  due to the rollsign tampering when in service and violence causing a disruption to the bubble.  

Now, the R32 is out of service and the rest of the trips are cancelled for today. 

1 hour ago, Spaverse said:

Has anybody noticed that there are still R160 trains running on the N and Q? I thought they were supposed to be moved to the G

I would assume to help give some rest to certain R46's running around. They are pretty hard to maintain especially with them being used 24/7 compared to before. They need a bigger spare factor and I believe the R160's at this point are on rotation yet again between CIY and Jamaica yard.

If that is the case, it'll probably be like that for a good while until we start seeing more R211's going into service, but don't take my word for it I could wrong.

49 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

I would assume to help give some rest to certain R46's running around. They are pretty hard to maintain especially with them being used 24/7 compared to before. They need a bigger spare factor and I believe the R160's at this point are on rotation yet again between CIY and Jamaica yard.

If that is the case, it'll probably be like that for a good while until we start seeing more R211's going into service, but don't take my word for it I could wrong.

They are probably doing the bare minimum to keep the R46s running since they will be retired soon. ENY did the same thing to the R42s when the R160s first came there. Bringing R32s back won't help much since those are even worse than the 46s are, R32s and their worn door systems.. Everytime I been on an R32 with mechanical problems it's always the doors or the train not giving indication. 

All they need to do is get on top of that dead motor problem plaguing the CI R46s and the cars should be fine otherwise. Read elsewhere of 46s consists stugging to climb the incline on the MannyB due to multiple dead motors in the consist. 

BTW the R68A, the youngest B div SMEE fleet and the vast majority of them are on the (B) their MDBF is barely higher than the R46s MDBF, so putting R46s on the (B) wouldn't solve anything.

EDIT: R68A MDBF shot up towards the end of this year while earlier this year it was nearly neck and neck with the R46s.

Edited by trainfan22

So coming in from another thread, there was a question that came to my mind. Not sure if this was ever discussed before, but might as well ask now because of the inclusion of SAS.

Seeing as the (Q) was brought in because it was more preferred than a 6 Av service along Brighton, how would service run if people on Brighton wanted 6 Av service instead or rather put simply, what if the (Qorange) stuck around instead? Have fun with this one.

19 hours ago, Vulturious said:

So coming in from another thread, there was a question that came to my mind. Not sure if this was ever discussed before, but might as well ask now because of the inclusion of SAS.

Seeing as the (Q) was brought in because it was more preferred than a 6 Av service along Brighton, how would service run if people on Brighton wanted 6 Av service instead or rather put simply, what if the (Qorange) stuck around instead? Have fun with this one.

I could envision the following:

(Q) 96 St - Broadway express - 4th Ave express - West End

(N) Astoria - Broadway express - 4th Ave express - Sea Beach - Coney Island

(R) Forest Hills - QBL local - Broadway local - 4th Ave local - Bay Ridge

(W) Astoria - Broadway local - Whitehall

(B) Bedford Park Blvd - 6th Ave express - Brighton express - Brighton Beach

(D) 205 St - 6th Ave express - Brighton local - Coney Island

I could see  (MTA) running the services as they do today with a simple D-Q swap.  Both D and Q are 24 hour routes.  Both run full length at all times.  I can see sending (N) through the tunnel late nights, when (R) isn't running as happens today.  And yes, I unfortunately see them running an (N) service that swtiches between the local and express tracks on Broadway.

As I really don't like the (N) between local and express, I would send (N) to 96th and increase the frequency of (W) to maintain service to Astoria.  Most weekday  (W) will terminate at Whitehall, but a few rush hour runs will follow the (R) line to 59th and then provide supplemental service on the Sea Beach line.  If both (N) and (Q) start at 96th, I could see (N) not running on weekends or late nights at all.  In that case, the weekend (W) will run Astoria-Broadway local - merge at Canal - Bridge - 4th Ave express - Sea Beach.  Late nights, nor (N) or (R) service, so (W) will follow its rush hour routing through the Montague tunnel to the Sea Beach line.

As a follow up to my previous post, how would service run if all Brighton service went to Broadway and both Sea Beach and West End were serviced by 6th Ave trains?

I could envision the following:

(Q) 96 St - Broadway express - Brighton local

(W) 96 St - Broadway express - Brighton express [weekdays only]

(R) Forest Hills - QBL local - Broadway local - 4th Ave local - Bay Ridge 

(N) Astoria - Broadway local - Whitehall 

(B) Bedford Park Blvd - 6th Ave express - 4th Ave express - Sea Beach

(D) 205 St - 6th Ave express - 4th Ave express - West End

The above service pattern would run during weekdays.  Some rush hour (N) trains will be extended to Bay Ridge, as the (N) service will increase to maintain adequate headways to Astoria.

On weekends, all of the above services will run, except (W)(B) will run to 168th instead of Bedford park Blvd and the (C) will not run on weekends.  [ (A) will run local in Brooklyn.]   

Late nights, (Q) will run as above.  (D) will run as above, except running along the 4th Ave local tracks in Brooklyn.  (B) will run a shuttle between 36 St and Coney Island along Sea Beach.  (N) will run Astoria- Broadway local - Bay Ridge.  (R) and (W) will not run at all.

23 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Expect longer waits for trains next week as NYCT has been hit pretty hard by the COVID surge recently.

If This continues then we are going to have a big problem in terms of crowding. Obviously it's no fault of the (MTA) or the crew. But with 80% of people working, Crowding is going to be a big problem.

This is where the state and city have to figure out something. Imo They might have to do restrictions again in order to ease overcrowding. Mass Transit is big here since the majority of people use it. Our Government might have to pass another stimulus bill similar to last year but more targeted this time. If people lose their jobs again with no help  then we are going to have a big problem.

3 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

If This continues then we are going to have a big problem in terms of crowding. Obviously it's no fault of the (MTA) or the crew. But with 80% of people working, Crowding is going to be a big problem.

This is where the state and city have to figure out something. Imo They might have to do restrictions again in order to ease overcrowding. Mass Transit is big here since the majority of people use it. Our Government might have to pass another stimulus bill similar to last year but more targeted this time. If people lose their jobs again with no help  then we are going to have a big problem.

Exactly where do see 80% ridership on the subway system ? I don't think it's hit 60 % of the pre-pandemic level yet. Just curious.  Carry on.