SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

19 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Just note that the Bronx has lots of cancellations as well, but all cancellations should be posted, so I would just check BusTime before taking the BxM3. I'm usually given a heads up on how many drivers are out. Last I heard, Yonkers was down about 20+ bus operators, but that was a few weeks ago, but still nowhere near what Staten Island has.

The BxM3 was good to me today thank goodness.

I got to Atlantic Terminal at like 10 in the morning tho and I hear "there is a (3) train to Harlem-148th Street, 14 minutes away." 8 minute headways on a normal day and there's a 15 minute gap in service at minimum right there smh.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

I got to Atlantic Terminal at like 10 in the morning tho and I hear "there is a (3) train to Harlem-148th Street, 14 minutes away." 8 minute headways on a normal day and there's a 15 minute gap in service at minimum right there smh.

Yeah, Yonkers Depot is down about 10-20 as of today. To be honest, Monday's tend to see the most cancellations out of that depot and in particular with the BxM3. Eastchester varies, but out of the two, Eastchester is worse. Most of the Bronx B/Os I know are from Yonkers or Eastchester and a few from Kingsbridge, so I'm kept in the loop.   Trying to keep tabs on which trips are cancelled the most and confirm what the issue is to fill the holes where possible. 

Here's a random thought:

Lot of talk is brought up every now and then about how bad the MTA is in terms of toxic management and organizational practices, both by employees/retirees and outsiders alike.  Generally, I agree with much of what has been said in this regard, but with one caveat.

Been reading various materials last few weeks about the inner workings of Amtrak, and let me just say- the nasty folks who run the executive and white-collar side of things at AMTRAK, make the MTA seem sweeter than a children's carnival.  You all would be impressed how messed up the supervisory culture is at Amtrak, oh boy...

1 hour ago, R10 2952 said:

Here's a random thought:

Lot of talk is brought up every now and then about how bad the MTA is in terms of toxic management and organizational practices, both by employees/retirees and outsiders alike.  Generally, I agree with much of what has been said in this regard, but with one caveat.

Been reading various materials last few weeks about the inner workings of Amtrak, and let me just say- the nasty folks who run the executive and white-collar side of things at AMTRAK, make the MTA seem sweeter than a children's carnival.  You all would be impressed how messed up the supervisory culture is at Amtrak, oh boy...

It's funny, I've heard a lot of tell about high, high-up projects with a number of agencies involved all going to shit because....everybody hates the people at the AMTRAK and finds them impossible to deal with. Seems like that managerial/executive apple is rotten to the core.

1 hour ago, MHV9218 said:

It's funny, I've heard a lot of tell about high, high-up projects with a number of agencies involved all going to shit because.... everybody hates the people at the AMTRAK and finds them impossible to deal with.  Seems like that managerial/executive apple is rotten to the core.

Oh yes.  The (MTA) may be rife with corruption, cronyism, nepotism, favoritism, siloing, and arbitrary decisionmaking at the expense of front-line workers (feel free to fill in any blanks I missed), but the entity that is (AMTRAK) takes it to an exponential level.  The MTA on serious steroids, basically.  Reading various accounts, I was blown away by how off the charts Amtrak is in that regard- the real salt on the wound is that apparently, they've been that way since the inception in 1971.

Makes me wonder what a managerial maelstrom Conrail must have been...

On 1/4/2022 at 4:25 PM, paulrivera said:

Got off the s79 At 86th street around 930 this evening to transfer to the (R) say 26 minutes away. Ended up walking 2 stops to Bay Ridge with around 5 minutes to spare. The next train behind us was around 30 minutes away as well so it seems like the (R) was running every 30 minutes instead of every 12. Luckily my transfers to the (D) and (7) were pretty quick.

Edited by Lil 57

On 12/30/2021 at 9:27 PM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Tomorrow subways are running on a Saturday schedule. Typically they run 4-car (M) trains on weekends (and only to Essex). 

Surprised they ran on a Saturday schedule given Wall Street by law along with most financial institution had to be open for a full day (that is required when Friday is the last business day of a month).  This is why they need to make it when New Year's Day falls on a Saturday, the holiday is observed on Monday, January 3 (as it actually is in Europe when that happens). 

Southbound 4 5 6 service is rerouted and delayed because of a switch problem at Grand Central-42 St.

4 5 Service Details

Southbound 4 ‌5 trains are running on the local track from Grand Central-42 St to 14 St-Union Sq or Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall.

Some southbound 5 trains will run on the 2 line from 149 St-Grand Concourse to Chambers St and then on the 1 line to Rector St, the last stop.

6 Service Details

Southbound 6 trains are running express from 125 St to Grand Central-42 St.

Some southbound 6 trains will run on the local track from 125 St to 86 St and then turn back to provide northbound service.

If your stop is skipped, take a northbound 6 train.

*This service change makes no sense, with having the (6) end at 86 St, especially considering that there is another change in effect (with NYPD investigation @ 96 St southbound, already rerouting the (6) via Express to Grand Central southbound. You could just have the switch locked with all trains going Lexington Express,  then switching to local north of Grand Central, and switches being used @ Brooklyn Bridge to move the (4)(5) back to the express track.

My personal pet peeve: when everything on QB is running express in a certain direction due to works they should make the (E)(F) local along with the(R) going the other way. My reasoning is that its a slap in the face to have to backtrack to Roosevelt or Forest Hills then wait another 15 to 20 minutes for the R that you inevitably end up missing. 

1 hour ago, shiznit1987 said:

My personal pet peeve: when everything on QB is running express in a certain direction due to works they should make the (E)(F) local along with the(R) going the other way. My reasoning is that its a slap in the face to have to backtrack to Roosevelt or Forest Hills then wait another 15 to 20 minutes for the R that you inevitably end up missing. 

Yeah, this makes sense, similar to the Brighton Line Middays ((B) trains local in the opposite direction that the (Q) is running express). It is not like the running time is significantly affected, but the downside is that now you need additional switch operations on the opposite direction.

4 hours ago, YankeesPwnMets said:

Does anyone know whether or not the (B) will be running this week?

5 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

Its not running until further notice

Confirmed from a station agent at Sheepshead Bay, "You will not see this line running for a while" .

I hope the (B) 's equipment will be put onto the N/Q lines and the worst performing R46s can be put into storage until whenever (B) service can be restored..

In a perfect foamer world the (B) fleet would be split between Pikin & CI Haha, don't mind me I just kinda wanna see R68/68As on the (A) line full time:drool: Both 8th Ave and Broadway corridors being a mix of 46s & 68s ohhhh that would be great!

But I doubt it as 68s on the (A) would be an pain in the ass but for dispatcher at 207th, so keep the line 46s and 179s for the time being.

On 1/9/2022 at 12:02 PM, shiznit1987 said:

Shoot there are a lot of things the MTA should do that they don’t. 
I would always hate it when the (J) would be out of service between Crescent Street and Jamaica Center and they would have the shuttle bus run only to Jamaica Van Wyck for the (E). I get that the area around Sutphin Blvd/Archer Ave- JFK is crowded but damn the amount of times I would have to wait 12-15 minutes for an (E) when the shuttle bus could have took me that one stop in less than 5 minutes. 

FOr anyone interested in old subway architecture, I came across this article about the forthcoming dismantling of the one of remaining IRT power substations on 96th Street:

https://www.westsiderag.com/2022/01/13/demolition-imminent-for-1904-substation-developers-of-affordable-market-rentals-paying-city-20m?fbclid=IwAR0CidaeLPr3dxXlQehOO6QQs0a6A3vel33lQ5_YExK2u4KLNDqi6LjP4as

Today the (L) train in front of mine, an NTT, had an mechanical problem at Bedford Ave and had to be removed from service. Held up the line too, my (L) had to wait at Lorimer Street for serveral minutes while they got the defective train out of the way. I saw it going NIS Canarsie bound with the lights off while it heads to ENY yard to get repaired.

Also rode an (J) train this evening when the (Z) would be running and man when that train left Essex Street it was far more crowded than normal. I know riders along that corridor are really missing the (Z) right now 

1 hour ago, CenSin said:

“Step all the way in. Once again, there is no (B) service. That’s why this train is so crowded.”

I disagree… there is a huge 40-minute gap between (Q) trains right now.

The least they could do is send some (Q) trains express.

Someone actually complained to (MTA) on Twitter that they don't have enough crews to run the (B) but have enough crews to run raggedy a** train farewell trips on the (Q) line. I was hollering.

Edited by Lawrence St

29 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

The least they could do is send some (Q) trains express.

Someone actually complained to (MTA) on Twitter that they don't have enough crews to run the (B) but have enough crews to run raggedy a** train farewell trips on the (Q) line. I was hollering.

I don’t get why they just can’t use whatever crew is available from the (B) to run additional (Q) express trains along Brighton. Then again maybe they are already using the crew to cover other lines 🤷🏽‍♂️

Just have the (Q) be the sole Broadway express line and have the (N) and (R) be the Broadway local services. 

On 1/9/2022 at 10:19 PM, trainfan22 said:

I hope the (B) 's equipment will be put onto the N/Q lines and the worst performing R46s can be put into storage until whenever (B) service can be restored..

In a perfect foamer world the (B) fleet would be split between Pikin & CI Haha, don't mind me I just kinda wanna see R68/68As on the (A) line full time:drool: Both 8th Ave and Broadway corridors being a mix of 46s & 68s ohhhh that would be great!

But I doubt it as 68s on the (A) would be an pain in the ass but for dispatcher at 207th, so keep the line 46s and 179s for the time being.

They have done that this week, there's at least 5-6 R68/As on the (Q) (also spotted from people fanning the Brighton line past Sunday). A few on the (N) with additional from the (W) pool. Happens on the C.I (Brighton Beach side), the Concourse (145 St/Bedford Pk bound) remains in lay-up at Concourse Yard with the (D) unless one of the 2500-2767 batch needs work and needing additional trains, it'll use the (B) pool.  

Also, that R68/A (A) train has been cancelled a lot. Most of the time during the afternoon, it's stored at the yard from the AM hour. 

Edited by Calvin