SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They layup either north or south of 57-7

But everything said it was a (Q) train, and I saw this one FIND that said it was an (N) when it really is a (Q).

Plus, I also saw an (N) train that said last stop and resting on the s/b express track at Times Square. I forgot when though... How did that (N) train even get there?

For the next two weekends, yes.

Lemme guess, they are maintaining the layup tracks so the (R) can't use them?

Sad to say but Westchester Yard Aren't cleaning or maintaining them really , they infact don't even care about the R142A's or what happens to them since they know it wont be their problem , it will be Flushing's and whatever R142A's remain will be Jeromes problem . Westchester yard are keeping their focus on maintaining their R62As... remember the R62As have to be clean at all times since it's not a New Tech on Lexington (no need to explain further lol ) also cause the (6) is the line that most people use. Corona might give them a small cleaning but that's about it , wouldn't be anything big.

I think the (MTA) should punish those that aren't helping good lines stay good by maintaining them. I don't want that junk on the (6) nor the (7).

Rode 3591 3 nights in a row on the (J), that R32 is an icebox, rode 3515 on the (C) today (recently came back from ENY) and had good A/C, so far there's less hot cars than last year, I only spotted 1 hot car on the (J) last month

But I've been seeing more R32's on the (C) than R160's but there's still plenty of R32's on the (J)

How did that (N) train even get there?

For a guy with a user name of (MTA) dude, you should really look up these facts prior to posting. The track map answers a lot of questions about how routes are connected, and that site in general provides a lot of the historical information requisite to discussing a lot of topics here.

Rode 3591 3 nights in a row on the (J), that R32 is an icebox, rode 3515 on the (C) today (recently came back from ENY) and had good A/C, so far there's less hot cars than last year, I only spotted 1 hot car on the (J) last month

But I've been seeing more R32's on the (C) than R160's but there's still plenty of R32's on the (J)

Your Right...The  (J) r32 i rode yesterday had great AC

Today while I was on the (M) train at 63 Drive as the train was leaving the station something blew my eyes. An R32! I think I saw only one set, could have been more, but it was probably just attatched to a work train. I saw this at 3:12 PM. Sadly, I couldn't get any footage of it because my stupid think that some will call a camera was charging all night and it only was 2/3 full with battery. It's battery was dead way earlier in the day. Also say a NIS train of R160s going on the Brooklyn bound track of the south side of the Manhattan Bridge at 2:24 PM.

BTW also me and my twin bro saw between 21 and 23 chipmunks in Prospect Pk.

The aging air compressors on the 32s function more better on the (J) because it's primarily outdoors and its an even 8 for 8 car swap. During the 32/160 swap, however, 207th Street still maintains/inspects the 32s and ENY still maintains/inspects the 160 4-car sets. As understood, neither 207th nor Pitkin still can't maintain the 160s anyway. But the 32s don't always stay underground during the summertime though.

Edited by RollOver

This is what Stef from subchat said

Concourse Yard Incident?

Posted by Stef on Tue Jul 8 03:00:46 2014

There are multiple vests in and about the car wash at CCY, all converging on a 10 Car R142 train that has be uncoupled and broken up into two 5 car units. One of the sets is still part way into the wash.

Do I smell a derailment here?

-Stef 

does anyone else know more?

I've been seeing this more often than not lately whenever the Parkchester 6 trains are terminating at 3 Avenue middays: The S/B (6) trains from Pelham Bay run express from 125th to 96th and the empty (6) trains from 3rd Avenue are the only trains stopping at 116, 110, and 103.

Makes me wonder if they are trying out a new service pattern or do those trains that run the full route get delayed that badly?

I've been seeing this more often than not lately whenever the Parkchester 6 trains are terminating at 3 Avenue middays: The S/B (6) trains from Pelham Bay run express from 125th to 96th and the empty (6) trains from 3rd Avenue are the only trains stopping at 116, 110, and 103.

Makes me wonder if they are trying out a new service pattern or do those trains that run the full route get delayed that badly?

don't know, its interesting

Also today at 4:23 PM my (E) stopped at 75 Av and was going to stop at Van Wyck Blvd, don't know why 'cause they start running local at 7:45

EDIT:Delays  Posted: 07/08/2014  4:04PM 

Due to track maintenance between Jackson Hts-Roosevelt Av and 36 St (QNS), e.png and f.png trains are running with delays in both directions.

Allow additional travel time.

I am not sure if this had anything to do with this.

Also, today I got lucky and when I was transfering to the 7 local at 61 St I got an R62A w/ RFW!
Its too bad I could only take it two stops! The car # is 1960 facing Main St.
Edited by Union Tpke

I just took a real good look at the subway map, and I saw some crazy interesting shyt.

Up in the Bronx I noticed the (D) has an express counterpart, and the (B) has some part time route to Bedford Park Blvd. When does the (B) run up there, and when does the (D) make that express run?

Same thing I noticed with the (2), and (5), I see after E. 180st things branch off; but before that, does the (5) really run express from Grand Concourse to 180st? Why do I see (5)'s to Nereid Ave as well?

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

don't know, its interesting

Also today at 4:23 PM my (E) stopped at 75 Av and was going to stop at Van Wyck Blvd, don't know why 'cause they start running local at 7:45

EDIT:Delays  Posted: 07/08/2014  4:04PM 

Due to track maintenance between Jackson Hts-Roosevelt Av and 36 St (QNS), e.png and f.png trains are running with delays in both directions.

Allow additional travel time.

I am not sure if this had anything to do with this.

Also, today I got lucky and when I was transfering to the 7 local at 61 St I got an R62A w/ RFW!
Its too bad I could only take it two stops! The car # is 1960 facing Main St.

I was at the Skyview Center today.. and I saw that set. Here's some updates on RFW business:

-One week ago today, #2116 was facing Manhattan bound, and I managed to get an exp RFW. 

If you haven't seen the video, here is the video: 

As of today, they have re-coupled that set, and #2116 is now coupled to the single car between the two 5 car sets. I did not take note of 2120, if it had an RFW or not.

-The car with #1960 has the old way of coupling. The 5 car set to Manhattan, and then 6 singles. I assume that it would be changed soon, though.

-What I've been told and seen is that #1996 Manhattan bound has an RFW, I don't know if anyone can confirm this, but it should have an RFW. 

Some R188 business:

-Something is spreading around that the R142A conversion sets aren't able to run due to third rail problems. I highly doubt this is true, and if it is I would like confirmation from someone from the (MTA).

-They have finally fixed the blacked out signs on R188 set 7844-7854, and I'm glad they did.

-I haven't been seeing 7833-7843 (set with a lot of vandalism) out yet. Maybe they're cleaning it up....

R62A (6) business:

-People are saying that Pelham Bay Park, Parkchester, and Upper East Side people are complaining a lot about them... The bronx section complaining about incorrect rollsigns, and the people on the UES just straight up saying they "deserve new trains." Just to give my two cents..... The people from the UES need to f*** off if that's their complaint. Just because you're wealthy doesn't mean you get what you want. The people from Pelham Bay/Parkchester I understand, because it can be rather confusing w/ those rollsigns. But on the UES, you realize that westchester would rather take care of R62A (again probably a rumor), and that if you do get your NTT's than they'd probably be in the worst condition ever. 

-Someone has also said that an R142 set is on the (6)..... 

-76xx sets from the (6) are going to the (4).

I think there would be a lot of action on the IRT in the near future...(and by that I mean in the next few months)

The aging air compressors on the 32s function more better on the (J) because it's primarily outdoors and its an even 8 for 8 car swap. During the 32/160 swap, however, 207th Street still maintains/inspects the 32s and ENY still maintains/inspects the 160 4-car sets. As understood, neither 207th nor Pitkin still can't maintain the 160s anyway. But the 32s don't always stay underground during the summertime though.

An R32 set got sent to 207th this afternoon straight from parsons according to a MTA friend, (probably 3591) I saw an R32 dead heading at woodhaven

How are they usually coupled these days? I must have missed the change.

UES riders can STFU.

They are coupled:

5 car set - a single car-  another 5 car set

For example,

1711-1715, 1915, 2081-2085 (also known as the Seinfeld set, which should be unwrapped by now)

But in that case, it was something like:

17xx-17xx, 19xx,19xx,19xx,19xx,19xx,1960

You know they are singles when the numbers don't match up with the car either before/after it (or both).

I just took a real good look at the subway map, and I saw some crazy interesting shyt.

Up in the Bronx I noticed the (D) has an express counterpart, and the (B) has some part time route to Bedford Park Blvd. When does the (B) run up there, and when does the (D) make that express run?

Same thing I noticed with the (2), and (5), I see after E. 180st things branch off; but before that, does the (5) really run express from Grand Concourse to 180st? Why do I see (5)'s to Nereid Ave as well?

During rush hours, the (B) gets extended to Bedford Park Blvd. At the same time, the (D) will run express in the peak direction.

As of the (2) and (5), the (2) and (5) usually run normally, but during rush hours, the (5) will run express in the peak direction. The (5) trains also use the 239th Street Yard, so since it goes via the (2) line to get there anyway, might as well run in service, so the (5) runs to Nereid Avenue to enter the 239th Street Yard. The reason it doesn't run express on that stretch (I dunno why it doesn't run express at least between 180 and Gun Hill Rd, maybe it is due to the delay caused by the switches) is because Nereid Avenue is a local station, and even if there are switches from express to yard, it won't be able to enter the yard easily while providing as much service as possible.

Some do, but it's very rare to catch them. But from what I can say, 90-95% of them have been converted to full-width cab, so they can head over to the (6).

Ahh sh**. Wish I'd known that sooner.

On the bright side, though, I can just grab some exterior shots and be on my way instead of riding the full line (devoting that time to other stuff), so I suppose that's alright.

Some do, but it's very rare to catch them. But from what I can say, 90-95% of them have been converted to full-width cab, so they can head over to the (6).

How is the (7)'s R62As gonna get to the (6)? There is absolutely no connection to other lines (besides to the northbound (N) line at Queensboro), hence the fact that it was chosen for CBTC. Are they gonna be taken off the tracks at Corona, then shipped to Westchester where they get rerailed?